jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 AM

It's small, but a little goes a long way.

Ramblings from the space inbetween my ears.
Caution all those who enter here; hard hats recommended.

Feel free to comment. Don't necessary expect to get out again.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-22-2014, 12:30 AM

*enters with teal hard hat and love*

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 AM

I wanted to make one of these, but I wasn't sure I'd have anything nice to record, that's kind of emo of me, isn't it. But I has something nice! \o/

Not nice run-up...

Last Tuesday I had to go to hospital for a lumbar puncture, understandably I was a little bit apprehensive about that. (Do you like that typically British undertstatement there). The day before there was this little package in the post for me. I was confused by this; I had things coming to me that I'd bought, but none were from Hong Kong this time around, and my name on it said Jackie, not Jacqueline.

I sat and looked at this and couldn't make sense of it (this is entirely normal for me these days, as I do have a broken brain now and it tends to just sit there going rather than doing anything productive, such as thinking. )

On the envelope it said hummingbird, now, I had bought something to do with a hummingbird so I thought I was on more solid ground now, but when I turned it over and read what was on the customs bit for content it said plush, so I was back to being very puzzled.

I shrugged that off because from personal experience I was well aware that Asian sellers will write anything on the customs slip. For example, I bought a pair of gloves, and in that customs section it said electronic equipment...

So I opened the envelope up, and looked in, and thought, "that doesn't look like a hummingbird!" I was still entirely confused at this point. Reached in, and out of it came this little guy!

A Tototo, a very nearly teal Totoro, and suddenly, light dawned!!
It didn't say hummingbird on the envelope, this was from HUMMY!! THAT was why it said Jackie, because that was the name I told her, duh! That was why it came from Hong Kong when I'd not bought anything from there. (there were bird stamps on it, incidentally, but they were an eagle and a woodpecker ><)

So I has a little moment, and put the little guy in my bag so he could come to the hospital with me, and now I've made this thread. 100% because hummy: gave me a nice memory to record. =3

Last edited by jellysundae; 01-22-2014 at 06:24 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 AM

Anytime you need to know you are loved
just look at this little cutie
*hugs*
You're never alone

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Awww...that's adorable!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 AM

So I was tidying up because this neuropsychology lady was coming to see me (such a human habit that, hiding how much of a slob you really are when you're getting visitors!). My M.O. is to get to the "WTF am I gonna do with this stuff" stage and throw it all in a box. Either a normal box which I then hide in a cupboard, or a pretty box which goes on a shelf.

I have this Daisy box from some perfume my mum gave me a few Christmasses back (always good to buy fragrance at Christmas, as you can usually get some lotion or something too, for the same price!)

It's an A4 sized box, and really solidly constructed. Awesome for storage. anyway, I looked in this while I was tidying up, because I couldn't remember what (if anything) was in it, and found a whole bunch of stuff that I'd been hunting for -.-
  • Address book - I have 2, this is my old one. The new one doesn't have my step mum's address in it. I couldn't remember the number of her house, I guessed. Having checked in my book, I got it wrong...
  • Nail cream I bought this, and then wondered if I'd gone completely insane because I couldn't find it anywhere.
  • My wire cutters and round nose pliers these are jewellery making things. I bought replacements for those because I couldn't find them. (they're cheap but that's beside the point ><)
  • A book of 1st class stamps - I bought another book because I forgot about these entirely. Oh well, I've got plenty of stamps for a while then!
  • Some make up samples that I'd also been hunting for and getting pissed because they weren't in any of the places where they should have been.
  • My photoshop disk! Maria-Minamino: Jesus CHRIST the places I looked for that!!!
  • My fish knife (safety knife, not poncey cutlery)
  • My tube of Bonjela. This is stuff for mouth ulcers. I knew I had some somewhere, something else I've been turning the place upsidedown hunting for. Before Christmas I had an ulcer right up by my back teeth and for a few days I couldn't eat anything without it rubbing on it and hurting like a bastard, I so wanted my Bonjela
  • My seam ripper. Never need something like that as much as when you can't find it. Of course 2 weeks ago I bought a new one.

Totally ridiculous the amount of stuff that was in there, that I had been wanting. So this is a happy thing, once I get past the annoyance.

Last edited by jellysundae; 01-23-2014 at 02:48 AM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 01-23-2014, 01:46 AM

Oh jelly!!! How funny you found that photoshop disk XD Don't we always place things in areas so we "won't forget where we put it" and then we always forget >.< You are better than me - I have an old cd with photoshop 5.5 on it from YEARS ago and I've never been able to find it!

Have you had the results of your lumbar puncture yet? I hope that it went well <3 I was thinking of you!!

And that's super incredibly sweet of hummy <3333 But then...isn't she always sweet?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-23-2014, 04:26 AM

Hummy is very sweet, which is maybe why she can't have sugar Epiphany time! Hummy is sugar, so she can't have it because it would be auto-cannibalism, basically

The LP went fine. I had a lovely nurse and I didn't feel a thing, gotta love that local anesthetic! The worst part of the day was the journey up there as the driver was heavy on the clutch and each gear change made my stomach lurch. I could tell before we'd even got out of town that I was going to get car sick, and yeah, by the time we got to Sheffield I was feeling very sick. If he'd picked me up 10 minutes later I'd have been able to eat more of my bowl of granola, but he got there on time (which he'd not even expected himself) so I wasn't able to finish it all. A full stomach helps to offset motion sickness for me, I've found.

I did get politely tortured at the hospital. After the LP I had to lie down for half an hour, ordered not to sit up. This is the first line of defense against getting a pressure headache. This can happen because the vessels in your brain collapse a bit after the puncture, even though the removed fluid has replaced itself within an hour. This half hour lying prone is an absolute must, if you sit up straight away you're pretty much guaranteed to get the headache, which can be bad enough that you need to go back to hospital to get it treated.

So the nurse checked her watch and told me not to sit up before 10 past, then went to get me some lunch. She brought me a sandwich and a mug of tea, and I had to lie and look at them for 20 minutes because I wasn't allowed to sit up The tea was luke warm by the time I got to drink it. ><

Another thing I then had to do, was have lots of caffeine for the next 5 days. As caffeine causes those vessels in the brain to expand, so they tell you to have loads in further hopes of warding off this headache. She said if you usually have 4 or 5 cups of tea a day, you need to drink between 8 and 10. I managed 8 on the first day. The next day I had the bright idea of making half mugs, as quantity of fluid wasn't what was needed here, and I was trying to minimise the amount of time I spent peeing! But I still only managed to drink 7 on each of the other 4 days. I just didn't want any more drinks. The 2nd day I didn't get to sleep until 6 o'clock in the morning...

The nurse said some of the results they'd have that day, other would take several weeks. I'll not see them anyway, they'll go to the consultant. All I know know is that the fluid pressure in my skull/spine is perfectly normal. Which is nice, especially as if it had been above the normal range (which is between 10 and 20, mine is 14) I'd not have been allowed to go home. D:

She sprayed this unbelievably cold stuff on my back, which covered it in this weird plasticky film, then stuck a dressing over that, and I couldn't lie in the bath for 4 days, or swim or anything. No soaking it, basically. The dressing fell off on the second day anyway >< But I stuck a big plaster in its place. Bending/moving felt foul at first. Didn't know if the discomfort was the dressing, the plasticky stuff or the hole in my back pulling, or all three >< Felt horrible/painful whichever it was.

There's a bit of residual pain there still. Jusy occasionally when I sit down and my back pressed against the sofa cushion there's a moment of ow there, so there's still a bit of healing going on. But it was a textbook procedure really, no issues at any stage. I just hope it provides some useful info for the neurologist.

Last edited by jellysundae; 01-23-2014 at 04:35 AM..

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Wow, that's kind of awesome, having found all that stuff you were looking for together in the one box!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM

i love finding things you really love/use often
it's like a little surprise pressie
found money is awesome, too!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Ha, I've always hoped to do that, but never succeeded xD Though in that box were 2 1c coins, do they count? Shiny ones too! xD

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-31-2014, 06:04 PM

that is found money
=)
supposedly you will never be broke if you keep change in your purse or wallet
but it has to be there when the gift is given or you purchase it you put it in
i've done it and i'm pretty much always broke, save that penny!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-02-2014, 02:35 PM

Haha, I'm keeping them anyway, had them since 2008 ><

Today I went outside \o/ Only as far as the supermarket that's 2 minutes walk away, but I still went! The girl at the check out complimented my bag, which made me happy The 2 ladies in the MRI department at the hospital last week did as well It makes me feel good when a stranger has something nice to say about something of yours =3

My bag:

I've got the green one. Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa: has a brown one if I remember rightly. I'm always amused by what animal peoeple think it is. Even the people selling it on Ebay put both fox and owl in the title

Looks like a fox to me

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-02-2014, 02:37 PM

i think it's a fox, too
an, OH! what a pretty color
i'm happy you got to go outside
and even happier you got a nice compliment

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM

Yus, I have the brown one! 8D
Funnily enough, I consider it an owl. XD

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 AM

it's really cute whatever it is
how cool you both have the same bag

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM

The Wandering Poet:
wanna come play in jelly's jar?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM

That bag is adorable owo where did you get it?
It looks like an owl... it has owl-like eyes

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM

yay Poet's in the jelly jar!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-09-2014, 03:12 PM

-slams lid on-

Ebay is FULL of those bags, all from China so dirt cheap. Undoubtedly made by mistreated people in appalling conditions. : / I HATE how being poor means that I cannot afford to have morals and ethics with regard to human rights, it makes me sick. >.>

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-09-2014, 03:44 PM

That's why I don't own anything jelly ;)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Now you make me feel bad for buying these things . _.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Don't feel bad... I was actually hoping I could find them somewhere for a friend of mine...

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM

That bag is sold in the US too, but meh. Will have been bought from a Chinese manufacturer and then had $10 added onto the retail price...

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor