Rmarques
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Rmarques

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM

ADV removes their titles from their site

ADV seems to be the next anime licensing and distribution company going down. Gah, who'll be next?

Ignore the yellow part.

ADV seems to be cutting back on their new releases. This doesn't bode well.

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 01-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Oh, all those aren't going to be released in disk again, sad, I was looking forward to renting them.

fiarra
seeking proof on the roof
Send a message via AIM to fiarra Send a message via MSN to fiarra

Old 01-30-2008, 06:44 PM

That's unfortunate. Although I'm hesitant to say that this means they'll be closing down soon. I'll be waiting for an official statement.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 AM

According to an update, unlike Geneon, ADV does plan to continue to release all of the removed titles. They just don't say why they were removed. o-o;.
Here's the link to the update:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...bsite-update-2
I'm really glad to see that ADV isn't going along the same path that Geneon did- they have the second biggest list of good titles, and it would be awful if they went under. >_<;.

xXBlackKittyXx
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to xXBlackKittyXx

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

I havent heard of this

Im surprised. ADV! T_T

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM

the anime business is decreasing in the U.S. but that is to be expected when it became a Fad for a bit, it then became like beanie babies and everything else, where if the company existed for that ride and spent to much, it's decline back to normal is hard on the company. ADv though i felt didn't have the upper edge in the series it chose to release in comparison to other companies at times.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-02-2008, 03:44 AM

besides wanting to see Kanon.
i dont mind the other titles :lol:

sucks that it is happening though
i really enjoyed the English dub of Air Gear.
and plan on buying it fully.

ADV are big risk takers.
they usually grab things. no other company would touch, or think has a chance.

>_> hope the mall as some old Geneon titles
i was hoping ADV would get "he is my master"

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM

I am disappointed that Geneon was completely closed. They were by far my most favorite of all of the anime companies. Their box sets were the most attractive. Way better than Funimation's boxes. It's of no doubt that ADV Films will probably be the next one to leave. I'm just happy that all of my most favorite series were already done. xD. *Yay for Paradise Kiss.* It seems as though most of the anime companies have already left. Newtype USA Magazines, Tofu Records, Geneon. I wonder what will be next. I can't really blame since so many people are using other resources to acquire animes. It's just like a cause and effect chain.

d2hiriyuu
(。・ω・&...

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM

True, the other methods to get anime are important. I think that along with the fad disappearing is causing the fall of the anime stuff. I wonder how these are comparing to the figurine collector stores. I wouldn't be surprised if those stay up from the fact that their audience is different that the people who pay for anime too cause one can't get figurine through alternate ways.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 PM

Text Wall of LoveDoom!

Pioneer (Geneon) was one of the best, and they were excellent at picking dubbing studios that knew how to do their job. Bang ZOOM for example, they freakin rock.

then they started exporting their dubbing to...ugh...Singapore, and the quality of their dubbing and boxart just dropped. and then POOF they shut down

one thing i like about Funi, is that they are really fans of anime, they really try and do their best and they took some great blows before they reached the status that they are at now. one thing i fear, is that they are the next Geneon...getting to a point that they are so big, they have to cut cost.
earlier last year, they had to cut some of their staff! and that hurt them a lot.

some Users on ANN. say just because they [ADV] are dropping titles it doesnt mean they are shutting down, but its the lack of communication that makes it seem that way.

and yes. i do and can blame downloading of anime to be contributing to low DVD sales. i feel that at 2000. anime fans (mostly younger ones) just got spoiled with how they can acquired. they develop this thought pattern of:
"Dubs=English, therefore they are Evil"
"Anime companies price their DVDs too high, so they are greedy"
"FanSubs are more accurate"
"Only True/Real Anime Fans watch Subs"

its 2008, and i am sick that some brats think that way! the early purpose of FanSubs, were to:
1) Sub shows that no one has seen before
2) Sub shows that are likely not going to be brought to their Country
3) Get the show known enough, that a company in their Country would buy the rights to domesticate it
4) Once the license is bought, they stop subbing and encourage 'fans' to truly support it, by buying it

now things have changed. some subbers continue to sub short anime series, regardless that they are requested to stop. the elitism in anime has grown, there are stupid Sub vs Dub wars. and arguments of who is a "Real Fan"

is it a Fad?
Anime has never really been mainstream in other Countries. that is a Japanese thing because Anime is cheap to create and are pretty much like Live Action shows in America. but when Japan creates Live Action shows...they are done on such a tight budget, and a large part of them are just terrible to watch.

its a fad to try and expect people who watch series on networks to stick with the show. but to fans, they are likely the ones to stay with it.

Pokemon for example. longest running anime in the US, but its popularity has slowly gone down. new episodes continue to follow the same pattern they always have, its getting stale. . the changing of the English dub actors had an effect too.
the lack of getting the Japanese track on DVDs also effect the sale, but i dont know the story behind that its a business thing.

i think some anime companies expect fans to buy the shows, and go with a lot of variety. so i guess a slow down of licensing is the best choice, even though its sad that they are just dropping things altogether.

Anime companies in Japan also contribute to the problem, they want a higher price for licensing, especially when it comes to Music. its near impossible to get the original music of older anime, and just as hard to do a dubbing of it. since their are new regulations.

forgot where i read it. but the cost of getting just ONE episode today, even if the anime itself is crap - is like 50k to nearly 1 mill. Dubbing companies balance the cost by trying to air it on TV to get a larger audience to buy the series.

Mermaid Pitchi ran into this problem. ADV was happy to tell fans that they got the show, but they could not find a network that would air it. its a LONG running series, on top of that there are songs. they had to drop it, i dont blame them, they did try cause that is now ADV is.