maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 06-25-2014, 03:12 PM

"That is not a problem," Jared replied. He leaned back and let the driver enjoy herself. It was one of those few enjoyable moments in their lives. If only they could be paid enough to rent a residence. Then with a stable address, he might get his group out of this dangerous circle and into something proper. He knew better. The boss wouldn't let them go so easily. The life they led now wouldn't let them go. The scars ran too deep.

As they neared the docks, he directed her to the transport ship they wanted in particular. There was Mike and Mandy, standing there in fine outfits befitting a valet. Beside them was Belle and Beast, both quietly glaring at Mike and Mandy who were making out rather openly. "Erm, my apologies." Jared turned red. "They generally aren't so... over killing the romance like that." He motioned to a container that had it's doors open. "Just pull on in there behind the other cars."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 AM

Katie followed the few directions Jared gave, but mostly just enjoyed the drive as they came to the docks. She spotted the familiar faces first and coasted toward the shipping container with a grin on her face. "Hey, if they want to make out like a couple teenagers, that's their business!" she said with a laugh. Jared seemed embarrassed by the others, but she just found it amusing. She'd walked in on far worse. She parked the car next to the others and then sat for a second with her eyes closed after cutting the power. Although the thought was irrational, she wanted to stay in the car just a second longer, just feel the expensive leather and remnants of heat. Finally she got out though and headed toward the others. "Looks like we did good tonight!"

maidenroseheart

Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 AM

Jared's regular four all formed up into a group, each talking about their favorite part of the evening. Jared followed cautiously. Since Katie showed up in Jackel's office earlier, there was a chance he might show up now or send a few of his guys over to check on the job. Jared didn't want to take the chance. Katie had done good. She could fit in here really nice unless he missed his guess.

So it was with some trepidation when Jared saw Jackal show up, two men flanking him from behind. Jared's group went silent when they saw them as well. It wasn't normal for Jackal to show up at a job. He always kept his distance. Jackal approached, "I see you 6 youngsters have been getting your hands dirty."

Jared suggested, "We like to play. What is it to you?"

Jackal looked pointedly at Katie, "Does she play well with you." The look he gave Jared warned him that her life was in the balance.

Jared carefully replied, "She is part of my group now. I intend to keep her." To make his point, Jared moved between Jackal and Katie. Praying even as he did so that this wouldn't come to blows. The muscle Jackal brought along was more than they could handle, and if they did fight back it would end in bloodshed. Again.

Beast figured out quickly what the situation was, despite not having the knowledge of the earlier interaction. He moved to flank Jared and protect Katie on one side. Mike did the same for the other side. Belle and Mandy walked up behind Katie, watching cautiously to see if they would need to drag her out of there or not.

Jackal looked the situation over and made some calculations. If there was a confrontation now, he would lose a good group of lifters. Also, Jared had volunteered to split his own cut with the newbie so it wasn't shorting profit on Jackal's end. It was a win win to let it slide. Raising his hands, he offered, "Looks like I'm outnumbered. I'll pay a protection fee to escape with my life. Here." He tossed an envelope with their payment inside on the ground in front of the group. Then backed away a few steps before turning and leaving.

Jared watched until they were out of sight, the bent over to pick up the envelope. Mike hissed, "Using language like that. No one the police can't ever nail him."

Belle quietly pointed out, "If they got him, we would be broke completely."

Mike disagreed, "Not really. That man has too much love of blood in his heart."

Mandy added, "What heart?"

Jared pulled out envelopes. Each addressed to them personally. How Jackal had gained Katie's name, he didn't want to learn. He turned slowly, eyeing the shadows as he did before handed them out quietly to their respective owners. "Eat, keep your strength up. After tonight, we have two possible outcomes. Either no jobs for awhile or one really soon that is super tough. Either way, you gotta watch your health."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-04-2014, 11:59 PM

Katie stiffened as the man who called himself Jackal appeared at the docks. From everyone's expressions, she quickly gathered that this was not normal. Jackal had the police baffled and his own underlings in fear. That's why this gang had been so high on the cop's list to take down. He was a dangerous man beyond just dirtying up the streets. The police didn't even know the man's real name because it sure as hell wasn't Jackal.

She bristled a bit at the ranks the other gangsters formed around her. She could stand up for herself. She set up that kind of image, a girl who wouldn't flinch even from a man like Jackal. But she accepted it and held her back ramrod straight, and perhaps was just a bit grateful for the protection. The cold calculation in the boss-man's eyes sent a hidden shiver down her spine. And then he was gone and Katie was letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding. Her heart pounded in her ears so that she only heard the conversation with half an ear. She knew exactly what she'd been heading into when she asked for this job, but despite all her toughness, this wasn't the police academy anymore. She might be the next thing that washes up on shore.

"A real charmer, that guy," she muttered as she took her own envelope from Jared. "But you guys ain't so bad. Even if these aren't the best of places, there are still friends to be found, eh?"

maidenroseheart

Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 AM

Jared wanted to make a light-hearted comment back, but found his jaw was clenched shut. Looking at Katie, it was easy to imagine that it was her mangled body and her blood ground out across the rocks. Thankfully though, it looked like she was going to be safe. For now.

Beast glared at Jared, but it was Mike who spoke up. "What the heck happened?" Turning to Katie, he asked, "There some back story we should know about?"

Belle hissed, "Easy, not here."

Jared finally managed to relax enough to speak, "Jackal ran into Katie earlier today." He paused, "At the shop."

The others all groaned. Mandy turned and headed for the "rental" car that they were borrowing. "Let's get to the beach."

Belle quietly commented to Katie as they were climbing in, "I'm glad that you are okay. We work best in small groups. No one should work solo." She looked at Jared as she said that last word. Her voice dropping even quieter.

Jared took the driver's seat. They would ditch the car close to the beach and walk from there. The outcropping of rocks that was their hangout spot would provide shelter. None of them should be out tonight. Come morning, it should be safe enough. From both the cops and from some of Jackal's other crew.

Beast, being larger than everyone else. Took the front passenger seat. Mike climbed in the back, Mandy crawling onto his lap. Belle took the middle and motioned Katie on inside. "Katie, I'll show you some good local places to spend your dough in the morning. There is a pretty nice cafe that isn't over pricing people just because it's by the beach."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 PM

Katie followed the others to the car. She crossed her arms for a second before getting in. "I'm not afraid. I'll be fine." A smile broke out on her face despite her attempts to sound tough. She couldn't help it when she felt more like she was telling a joke. She didn't find it difficult to smile at any of the gangsters and not just because she was required to like them. Maybe she just wanted friends that badly, a feeling like family. She could barely admit such a thing to herself though. She hoped this went for friends wouldn't get in the way of her job. Katie nodded to Belle with her gaze also flicking over to Jared when she singled him out as being alone. "Agreed. It's against human nature to work like that."

She relaxed back in the seat and watched the sky with her head tilted back against the seat. The chatter of the others comforted her enough to close her eyes most way. Not totally relaxed, but somewhat more. "So you guys usually lay low together after a job? Y'all don't just go home? It's not like the dumb cops know nuthin'..."

maidenroseheart

Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 PM

Belle grinned at the banter against cops. She had nothing against them. They were just part of the obstacle course of life. You avoided them and there was less drama. It was a snug in the back seat. Mandy was held close by Mike, but her legs still pressed against Belle's. She didn't really mind. It was their group and their group was a safe group. "Yeah, we tend to stick together. Not this tight always, but if there is tension then a definite."

Looking sideways at Belle, she suggested, "Might avoid Jackal's place. Only Jared can go there." She wanted to explain further but decided Katie could read between the lines. It was a rule to not talk about the connections between the groups. If someone got busted, it protected the rest. Sadly though, it seemed to protect Jackal more than anyone else. "Funny thing is, though we all have our private hiding spots, the rock outcropping at the beach is as close to home as it gets."

She smiled, "My place is pretty nifty. The cafe I am going to show you tomorrow is part of a strip mall styled building. It's main foundations are old, and the brick is falling apart. There is an old storage shed on the back build into that complex. It has central AC and heat because it is part of the building. Got a little light bulb inside too. Small room. Maybe 5 by 5. Big enough for a small cot and a shelf. Free rent and utilities. The beach has the public showers. What more can you want?"

Beast chuckled. "Music." Belle grinned over at him. The silent fellow glanced back. "Same complex. Other end. The theater. I'm down in the basement that everyone long forgot about." Then as if that explained everything, he turned back to the front. Belle shook her head. He didn't want to elaborate nor felt the need to. If Belle found Katie to be to her liking and wanted to be her friend, he wouldn't begrudge her that. What was important to Belle was important to him. Just another person for him to keep an eye on. Belle would cry if anything happened to Katie. She was that sort of girl.

Jared glanced with amusement at Beast. His friend's features giving away little to anyone else in the car. He knew his friend well enough to allow Beast's short monologue to pull him out of his revelry. Katie knew cars. Could drive well. What more could he want in a crew member? He pulled down a side street and did a classic box drive. Coming out on the third road in the box route, he confirmed he wasn't being followed and stopped dallying. Now on to the beach.

With the stars in full brightness, it was a pleasant drive. Jared was soon more to his normal self. Pulling into a parking lot a mere block from the beach, he slowly parked and switched off the rental. "End of the line. Hope you enjoyed Rental Airlines. Please fly with us soon." Mandy giggled and got the door open. Jared glanced at them as she and Mike somehow tumbled out. Beast quietly exited as well.

Jared turned and hopped out. "Wipe off your prints." He used his sleeves and made sure the steering wheel and door handles were clean before walking away. The beach was nice and long. He figured they were just under a mile away from the rock outcropping. He was ready for relaxing walk.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-09-2014, 02:58 AM

Katie smiled, glad to know even these little things about her 'new friends'. They wouldn't help her as a cop, but they helped her as a person. Despite normally being a closed sort of person, she found herself sharing simply for the sake of sharing. "I live with my father, or sort of. It's a better sort of place. A few roaches and all that. Dad's never 'round so I get it all to myself," she said. This was the cover she set up for herself. Although a man had never been in the home belonging to her cover, she felt confident this lie could hold up to scrutiny.

She easily memorized the route to the beach for later use. When they pulled to a park, she did as told and wiped away her prints. Then the lot of them scrambled out and onto the beach. At this hour, fewer people were around though at this sort of place, Katie guessed it'd normally play party to the many tourists that came to this city. Despite the darker side of the town, it managed to stay as a pleasant place for people to visit.

The group moved together with plenty of chatting and playfulness that Katie only paid attention to with half her mind. "Very much enjoyed it. Great service," she said to Jared's joke. Her laugh came out naturally. The only problem with spending the night with these guys was she couldn't check in with her handler. She had a check point today, as undercovers generally did with their first day of the work. Considering the first could often be the deadliest. Maybe she could sneak away? Say she needed to call her father? Katie formed plans in her mind, trying to find a way to get in contact with the police and share everything she learned today. Even if it were just for a few minutes. She could always have a lengthy conversation tomorrow. Could she just send a text? She distanced herself from the conversation around her as she tried to remember the guidelines that had been spelled out for her.

"Would you guys mind if I slipped away for a bit to make a call?"

maidenroseheart

Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM

Jared looked at her with concern. She shouldn't be out by herself. Not tonight. Yet something was worrying him. She had said she was new in town when they first met, but then she said she lived with her dad. It appeared Katie was hiding something from them. He wasn't going to call her out on it. But he wished that she would tell them if she was in trouble with another gang or something. If that was the case, he knew even Jackal would be glad to oblige in taking care of them. That was something he liked a bit too much.

Mandy laughed, "Maybe you should save the call for tomorrow."

Mike added, "Listen sweetheart, we understand wanting to calls. We understand that there are parts of you that belong to a life before us. But no offense, tonight ain't a good night to go out. Jackal holds grudges for about 24-36 hours. You be safer, a lot safer, sticking it out in the group for the night."

Jared waved them off. She wouldn't have asked unless she needed to. She was just beat up by them and then out stealing all in one day. A lot to deal with. "You need to do something, go do it." He turned to Belle, "Go with her, hole up in that cafe. There's plenty of space." He saw Beast already walking that way. Beast would guard the door while being unobtrusive. He worried too much. If Katie was in trouble, she probably had a plan to get out. Maybe she owed someone money and needed to arrange to pay them off.

Belle grinned, "Awesome, I wouldn't might a cup of something warm anyways." Turning and linking her arm in Katie's, she gently pulled her towards the cafe. "You will love the cafe. So cute! And it isn't usually busy either. So you can get something warm to drink and settle into an arm chair in one corner. I'll do the same and settle where I can adore my beast. And we will all relax and just enjoy life." She wondered if maybe Katie kept in contact with her sister or mother or someone back home secretly. Some kids ran away but had that someone they liked to talk to.

Beast found a bench out on the boardwalk outside the cafe and settled in. Crossing his arms, he prepared to wait as long as the girls needed.

Seeing them safely on their way, Jared turned to Mike and Mandy, "Well, would you love birds like to head to the hideout ahead of us? I think we can guarantee an hour of free time for you."

They grinned. Mike nodded, "You are the man." They turned and headed on ahead.

Jared sighed. By himself, again. This was fine. He looked around and saw a small ramen shop. Heading to it, he decided to enjoy a bowl of ramen. Cheap enough, it wouldn't hurt him too much.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 08-30-2014, 03:56 AM

Katie really did hope she could at least steal away a minute from these guys, so she let out a relieved sigh when Jared cut through the others' worry and sent them off to the cafe. It was good enough for her needs. It's not like she needed an empty ally way to call the precinct. Just a little time for a message. Smiling, she nodded her head and stayed close to Belle. "Thanks. This place sounds wonderful and I drink would be good. I only need a couple of minutes, really."

The cafe they entered really was a quaint sort of place. Only the quiet murmurs of a few patrons and machines created any noise. Those people there seemed content to fall into their own world, not paying attention to the two girls who entered. Katie looked the place over appreciatively. "I'll join you in a bit, 'kay?" she told Belle before unlinking their arms. She asked the person behind the counter if there was a phone she could use and he gave her the one from the back after she coughed up five dollars. Not that she expected less. You wouldn't normally share a work phone with strangers.

With that, Katie disappeared into a corner and dialed. "Hi dad. Just wanted to letcha know I'm not making it home tonight. Nothing you can do anything 'bout anyway," she said with false cheer, choosing to play as her cover just in case.

"Yeah, got us some money. Can't really talk about it sorry." She laughed. "Oh you know me. I'm always in trouble, but it's nothing serious. I can handle myself better than you can." Certainly she could and the fact made her proud.

Nodding one last time to the voice on the other side, she continued. "Talk next week? Ha. Don't pretend you miss me. Just wanted to let you know about the job since you can do something with that. Bye." With that, Katie hung up the phone and returned it to the counter, ordering herself a coffee as well.

maidenroseheart

Old 09-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Belle grinned at Kaitie as she came back out. That girl definitely was keeping in touch with someone back home. She was sure of it. Turning her attention back to her book, Belle began to mentally plan how to help Kaitie be able to hang out more with whomever it was she must miss so much. It wouldn't hurt to keep this from the others. Only Beast would know otherwise and he wouldn't say anything. He trusted her and she trusted him.

Even now, she knew she had but to glance up and out the window just to see his shadow. He was probably looking like he was enjoying the evening breeze or something. But no one could mistake him as a force to be reckoned with. Hence the name Beast. Only she knew his real name. Not even Jared knew that much about him. It was the same way about her name. Only Beast knew her real name.

When he had adopted her early on when she joined the group, she had been nameless. Jared had given her the name Belle when Beast showed a protective streak for her. Over time, a strong bond had formed between the two of them. They often took jobs apart from the gang and were successful at them. Innocent stuff like petty thievery and some con work.

Someday, they would strike it rich and get out of this life. Find a quiet place away from the big city. A house surrounded by trees. It was a dream and Belle was realistic enough to recognize that. Still, it was one she held onto and murmured on occasion to Beast. He always listened. And watched closely to make sure she survived, just in case they could reach that dream.

Similar to Jared. He used to watch... but no. She shouldn't think that way. His current behavior was more enjoyable. Jared was actually fretting over Katie. Something Belle never thought she would see out of Jared again. If this could be pursued, the man might just come to care deeply for her. Belle planned to help Jared out there if Katie hadn't left behind a lover.

Oh man, what if that was who she had called? What if it wasn't her mother or sister or cousin or something of that sort? What if it had been a boyfriend? Belle sighed into her book and put it down. She wasn't getting any reading done. Picking up her warm drink, she took a delicious sip and let the liquid sooth her throat and eventually her stomach. She wanted both Jared and Katie to be happy. She would play it by ear and be watchful. No need to jump in both feet first like Mandy would.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-01-2014, 02:45 AM

Katie sat near Belle with her coffee. To anyone observing, she looked relaxed and lost in a blissful thought. She was contemplative, but that wasn't for herself. Katie observed her surroundings and most of all the people around her. She couldn't shrug off the feeling that she being watched. Watched? No matter how she looked around the cafe, she found no one that would give her that feeling. Maybe she just couldn't relax because of this job. It all felt too new. Something told her she shouldn't relax even her thoughts because thoughts betrayed a person too much.

Finally, she couldn't stand the silence any longer. Katie set her coffee onto the low table and pulled her unzipped jacket closer around herself. "I was wondering, Belle..." There was only one topic of conversation she really cared for now and that worried her. She shouldn't...but she asked anyway, telling herself it was all for the job. "...Could you tell me more about Jared? No reason. I just feel like I should know about him."

Belle seemed like the one for secrets. She would know them, keep them, but she would lead Katie in the right direction. Of all the tight-knit members, she and Jared struck her as the most valuable friendships to cultivate.