CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 AM

Yay. xD I always like to see that. ;) (The "better than Gaia" comment, I mean.)

Hey all. :3 I'll be in and out. Not ignoring you if I wander off and don't reply right away. xD

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 12:52 AM

I just started up some new roleplays as well. I really like how this site feels more like a real community than Gaia. For me that site just feels like a giant clusterfuck. >.>

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 AM

I'm really sad. I love to roleplay, but I hate doing it in forums. I guess it'd be okay if my partner(s) and I were on at the same time. Then it'd be like the "live play" (chat or video trpg) I'm used to. Otherwise, I can't hack it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 AM

I've never heard of video roleplays. >.>

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 AM

*grabs a mysterious red cocktail and sips it*

Mmm, not bad.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

It's just like playing any tabletop roleplay with your friends around a table. You just use a webcam to "sit at the table". xD I have a group I meet with over G+ hangouts every so often.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

That sounds awesome!

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:04 AM

I think I know what you're talking about, me and a few friends used to play Dungeons and Dragons via webcam after I moved. It's actually a very good way to go about it.

Mene definitely has a more friendly feel to it, probably because people aren't just posting random nonsense and "bumping" everything for gold.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:05 AM

It's been forever since I've been able to play table top games. I haven't found a new group since I moved.

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:07 AM

They're scarce, unfortunately. If you can find a group online you could probably find people willing to play via cam.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
It's just like playing any tabletop roleplay with your friends around a table. You just use a webcam to "sit at the table". xD I have a group I meet with over G+ hangouts every so often.
That...that is genius. I would love to play D&D again, but I don't really have anyone to play with since I moved. I wonder if I could talk my high school DM into doing an online game. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing he would be into, but it's worth a shot!

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
That sounds awesome!
It's great. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidrage View Post
I think I know what you're talking about, me and a few friends used to play Dungeons and Dragons via webcam after I moved. It's actually a very good way to go about it.

Mene definitely has a more friendly feel to it, probably because people aren't just posting random nonsense and "bumping" everything for gold.
Yeah - I think in a lot of ways it cuts out on the sort of bullcrap you see in real-person games. (I've never played in a "RL" trpg session, but I've sat in on over a dozen and heard stories of many, many more.) Since we typically turn off our mics if we're not in a scene, it cuts down on a lot of the distractions and interference from other players and so forth. And OOC chatter can be handled over IMs/the chatroom.

Yeah - we tend to attract a lot of older users, too. Older and more mature from the younger set. Not that we don't know how to have fun. xD But when we talk about chicken butts, we do so because it's fun, not to troll the other users. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigbigadorlube View Post
It's been forever since I've been able to play table top games. I haven't found a new group since I moved.
You should look into G+ for sure, then! It's rare anyone *requires* a camera be on, if you're shy. All you really need is a mic and a computer able to handle the hangout software (and maybe Google documents).

I also have an account on Roll20, though I've never played a game via there.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 AM

I should definitely look into this sometime!

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:18 AM

I think the prices here help to weed out a lot of the crap that goes on over on Gaia. I don't need five billion gold to buy a stupid hat here, in a week or so of moderate posting I've already gotten 2500 gold, not including what I've spent on some basic items. The problem with Gaia is it's popularity with the "annoying kids" type of people that just want to troll.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
That...that is genius. I would love to play D&D again, but I don't really have anyone to play with since I moved. I wonder if I could talk my high school DM into doing an online game. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing he would be into, but it's worth a shot!
It doesn't hurt to feel him out, anyway! I've heard of a lot of people who rezzed their old college or high school gaming groups by moving their games online, since it was easier for people spread out all over to attend the sessions.

But video gaming isn't really for everyone. Technical issues can be really annoying (like that one person whose connection is shitty and it's like they're broadcasting from the moon). And some people really can't handle the lack of "vibe". Like, I'm pretty sure they get a lot of subtle cues from body language that lets them know how well they're doing. If they don't know if they're irritating/entertaining, they get edgy or bored. And then there's the popular sort who get a lot of IMs and can't tell people they're busy, so they get distracted by that (or an online game they're playing to pass the time until it's their turn).

BUT.

Yeah, if you can handle the lack of "vibe", don't have connection issues, and are able to manage distractions it's GREAT. 8D

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidrage View Post
I think the prices here help to weed out a lot of the crap that goes on over on Gaia. I don't need five billion gold to buy a stupid hat here, in a week or so of moderate posting I've already gotten 2500 gold, not including what I've spent on some basic items. The problem with Gaia is it's popularity with the "annoying kids" type of people that just want to troll.
That would help some, yeah. xD

We're also sort of a "small town" community. You can't just hop over to another forum and feel like what you said elsewhere on the site won't bite you there. Our users may have favorite forums or threads, but that doesn't mean they don't post all over the site. And people talk. xD; (This ends up mostly being a good thing.)

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 AM

As with the table-top version, it's all about the people :3

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 AM

*dances around her room*

Ooo table top. :D Fun stuff. :D

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:22 AM

Very true. xD

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 AM

Yeah, video chatting is a definitely a different experience from in-person hanging out. It has it's pros and cons. It's something I hardly ever do, so I haven't really explored the possibilities.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 AM

Sadly one of the people in my group only has 6 months to live. :( And they aren't even sure if it'll be that.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:25 AM

Hi, everyone! Im excited that the event is finally here. :3

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 AM

I've got a few friends that feel the same way, though personally I prefer to be able to see peoples reactions; It tells you a lot more than their words can.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM

D: Neph! That's got to be rough. My sympathies to your group (and the person and their family, of course).

Yeah - I love chat roleplaying with my best friend, because I know pretty well by now what her OOC reactions are, even if she doesn't post them. But I do prefer when doing a G+ game that the other players have their cameras on. It's more fun when I can see their surprise or (silent) laughter. :D

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 10-30-2014, 01:29 AM

So, what's going on here? What are we talking about?

liquidrage
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 AM

I love the Dungeon Master I used to play with, we would do crazy things all the time and somehow he managed to balance everything out. One time our rogue climbed an ogre and proceeded to ride it into a magma vein xD then that some rouge failed to backstab an Imp and got kicked in the nuts (gotta love those critical fails) stunning him for 2 turns. Then there's the Paladin that got sat on by a dragon (game paused for a good fifteen minutes while everyone cracked jokes about it).

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 08:33 PM ----------

@Elirona it's kind of all over the place at the moment, sorry about that *totally my fault*