Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 AM

River laughed. "I guess I was going a little overboard." She poked at the bag of beans, trying to decide if she was brave enough to try another one. "I wonder how different school will be in the wizarding world," she mused. "I mean in the non-wizarding world, I guess you guys call that the muggle world, we would be studying like math, science and stuff like that. Are we going to study stuff like that at Hogwarts or is it all about magic?"

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:21 PM

"Well we have potions." Neville blinked. "History, but I don't think we have math. We study the dark arts, the muggle world, divination, the stars, and many more." he took on of the beans and grimaced. "Booger."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 AM

"Eww," River said, pushing the beans away. She glanced around the compartment and suddenly sat up straight. "Neville where's Trevor?"

Riffle opened a sleepy eye and gave a disproving glare as River began pawing through the treats on the table. Neville had let her hold his toad and she had gone off and lost it. "Trevor!" She called as if the toad would answer back. "Where are you you?"

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:51 AM

"Oh no!" Neville helped her search the compartment. "Look the doors open a crack...do you think he could have gotten out onto the train?" he looked worried the toad could get stepped on if someone wasn't watching were they where going. "Grandmother will kill me if I don't come home with him plus he's my friend we have to find him."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-29-2015, 04:04 AM

"Don't worry," River said laying a hand on Neville's shoulder. "We'll find him; I promise." As she looked into his worried eyes, she wasn't sure why she had promised that. For all she knew, someone had already stepped on the toad, but she couldn't stand the upset look in Neville's eyes. It broke her heart. She just hoped she could keep her promise.

"Let's check the train." She pulled open the door to the compartment and stepped out in the hallway. She looked up and down the hall that ran the length of the train but there was no toad in sight. "You go one way and I'll look the other way."

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:02 PM

Neville nodded and began to search the train asking other children if the had seen Trevor. Eventually chest fallen he returned to the compartment to change into his robes hoping that wherever Trevor had gotten to he was alright. He glanced around there compartment one last time before admitting defeat.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM

River made her way through the train, feeling worse with each compartment she checked. Neville, the first person to talk to her, had trusted her with his toad and she had lost it. The school year was already turning out to be a disaster. She stopped at the end of the train, no sign of the toad. She stared out the window and thought about calling Malcus, telling him she wasn't ready yet and returning back to her hideout in the country.

You know why we named you River? Because you have a strength stronger than any current in any raging river." She smiled faintly at the memory, her father's words slipping into her mind. She couldn't hide from the world forever, she just had to hope that Neville wouldn't hate her forever.

"Might want to get in your robes deary, we are almost to Hogwarts." River looked up to she the witch from the snack trolley. She nodded and hurried back to the compartment and quickly changed into her robes.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:56 AM

Neville heard River enter the compartment. "Any luck?" he didn't see Trevor in her hands which made him sigh. "It's not your fault River that toad is an extreme escape artist. He's even managed to escape my grandmother and that's harder to do then it would seem."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 01-03-2016, 04:57 AM

"I'm really sorry Neville," River said with a sigh. "If we don't find him I will buy you another toad or an owl or something. I feel so bad."

River glumly pulled on her robes and straightened them. She tossed a chunk of white blond hair back over her shoulder and looked across the compartment at the boy. She had just lost his pet and friend and here he was being so sweet about it. It only made her feel worse.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:41 PM

"No it's fine." Neville smiled as they headed for the lake following Hagrid. "That toad hated me I don't want to force another animal to be with me." He sighed a little and got in one of the boats.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 01-15-2016, 01:14 AM

"Well its not the same but at least let me offer you the use of Riffle if you need to send any letters," River offered hopping into the boat with Neville.

Her eyes drifted over to Hagrid, the massive half-giant that Malcus had told her was the Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts. The man was massive, with wild hair and a huge busy beard. He looked like the type that would rip you apart if you said the wrong thing.

River leaned over and whispered to Neville, "He looks scary."

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:17 AM

"yeah he does." Neville swallowed nervously. "I'll be happy to use your owl...not that I have anyone but Grandmother and I'm only going to write her maybe once a month." he spotted the castle. "Whoa!" he gasped at the sight of the school. "It's huge."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 01-26-2016, 03:19 AM

The castle towered over the lake, high up on cliffs. Lit mostly by the light from the many windows, it looked ominous and menacing. River couldn't help the involuntary gasp and even felt herself shrink back a bit into her seat. "It looks like a prision or an asylum," River whispered.

She steeled herself as brave as she could, as the boats reached the shore. Hagrid led them up a trail and towards the big, double doors of the looming castle. As they walked, River glanced around and saw anticipation on some faces and fear and trepidation on others.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:45 PM

Neville looked around as they walked in blinking at the older woman who was waiting for them. As she explained about Hogwarts Neville noticed a frog and gasped "Trevor." He dove for the road who looked annoyed at being found. "Sorry " he mumbled when he noticed the teacher half glaring at him.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 AM

River felt a happy grin spreading across her face as Neville scooped up the missing toad. "Glad we found him," she mouthed to Neville, before turning her attention back to the stern, older woman standing before them.

She listened to the woman, who had introduced herself as Professor McGonagall, explain about the sorting ceremony that would place them in their different houses. River's mind was full of questions that she wanted to ask. How did this hat know how to put them in which houses? Why a hat? Why didn't she just assign them houses? Would the hat hurt? But she kept quiet, for she didn't think the woman before them would care to be peppered with questions and she didn't want to appear the newbie, idiot.

"Now you will wait here until I come back for you, is that clear?" Professor McGonagall asked with a stern look, before turning and walking away.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 AM

"This should be fun." Neville mumbled trying to ignore the others. When McGonagall came back he gave River a smile and followed after her gawking at the great hall with awe. "Wow." he mumbled then blinked at the hat sitting on a stole. "Is that it?" he blinked and then jumped as it started to talk.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"
As soon as the Sorting Hat had finished Professor McGonagall stepped forward with long list. "When I call your name you, you will step forward, have the hat placed on your head and be sorted into your house. Amanda Arbuckle!"

A mousy, thin first year with curly brown hair weaved her way through the cluster and made her way, nervously up onto the platform. McGonagall lifted the hat and the girl took her place on the stool. Professor McGonagall set the hat on her head and after a moment it yelled out "Hufflepuff!" Amanda jumped down off the stool and went to join the cheering students at the Hufflepuff table.

Last edited by Nephila; 02-26-2016 at 03:41 AM..

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM

Neville was staring at the hat then let out a soft laugh. He remained silent as his fellow first years where called up. He heard Willow's name and smiled encouragingly at her. "Good luck." he whispered.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 PM

River smiled at Neville, hoping to hide her nerves. She squared her shoulders and gathered her courage. "Thanks, and good luck to you," she whispered back before making her way up onto the platform. She hopped up onto the stool and braced herself as McGonagal lowered the hat onto her head.

Hmm the Sorting Hat pondered before shouting Gryffindor!

River breathed a sigh of relief and jumped down from the stool. She made her way to the Gryffindor table where she was met with handshakes, cheers and high-fives. She took a seat on one of the benches and watched as the ceremony continued. She tensed when she heard Professor McGonagal call Neville's name.

Please Gryffindor! She begged mentally though she didn't know who she was begging. No one had mentioned if the Sorting Hat possessed telepathy.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:40 PM

Neville took a deep breath when he heard his name trying to ignore the whispers of the students that recognized his name. Nervously he sat on the stool feeling certain that he would get Hufflepuff but to his surprise the hat shouted. "GRYIFFINDOR!" He was so surprised he almost didn't go to his seat till Professor McGonagal nudged him towards the right table. He hurried over and sat next to River feeling happy.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 AM

"I'm so glad we got the same house," River whispered as Neville sat down next to her.

An older gentleman with long white hair and a long white beard stood up. He introduced himself as Professor Dumbledor, the Head Master of Hogwarts. He went through some beginning of year announcements, like that the third floor corridor on one side was off limits. Finally his speech came to an end and he raised his hands with a flourish. All kinds of delicacies appeared on the table before the students. Everyone started grabbing food and laughing and talking.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:39 PM

"This is great already." Neville grinned and dug in sighing happily. "It's so good the house elves are great cooks." he licked his lips and then jumped as Sir Nickolas appeared floating up from one of the platters of food. "A ghost." he blinked. "I know you. Your nearly Headless Nick." A red head boy announced. "I prefer Sir Nickolas." Nick scowled at him.

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 03-17-2016, 03:00 AM

River nearly choked on her food when the ghost appeared out of the platter. She swallowed her bite half chewed as the red haired boy called the ghost Nearly Headless Nick. She leaned over to Neville and tried to quietly ask, "How can you be nearly headless?" She had to raise her voice a bit though to hope to be heard over the chatter of students. Unfortunately at the very moment she raised her voice the cacophony of voices dropped in level and half the table, Nick included, heard her question.

She froze as the ghost turned to face her. She braced herself for his wrath but instead he looked as though this was not the first time that he had heard the question. "Like this," he said and tossed his head to the side. His head rolled off his neck and hung by just skin on the one side.

River found herself staring with a morbid fascination while another first year girl nearly gagged. With a graceful flick of the wrist, Sir Nicholas snapped his head back into place on his shoulders.

finx15
Queen Phoenix trainer.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Neville looked like he might thrown up for a second then turned back to his normal question. "Just a ghost. I didn't want to see that but he's just a ghost." he took a deep breath. "I hope none of the other ghosts do that." he grimaced. "Make's you think of how it happened."

Silver Storm
Carry On My Wayward Son
Penpal

Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 PM

River nodded. "Not a pleasant thought," she said with a shudder. She took a bite of roast chicken and chewed as a thought hit her. "What are house elfs?" She asked after she had swallowed.