sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-27-2015, 08:37 PM

She scowled at the man slightly, perhaps partially a reaction to that little lurch in region of her heart at his smile. Saith didn't smile a lot, at least not genuine, calm smiles, not one of those goofy grins, and he definitely hadn't smiled like that before... Not that she was really making notes of his expressions or anything, but he was kind of an enigma to sun priestess and mysteries were something she instinctively wanted to uncover and understand, if only to find how potentially threatening they could be.

"I think we have already established that I worry for the people that are with me. And I do hope you will not hold my mistake against me forever. The whole situation hardly gave space for any different judgement," Mae half-defended, more bothered by the thought he would bring up their initial meeting than she should be. But she didn't take lightly to making mistakes and Saith was doubting her as a leader, something that she already felt she had failed as today. "It seems you two think that it is your personal duty to spice this adventure up," she added.

Although perhaps she was reading in his words far too much, there seemed to be no resentment in his posture or expression. Dark elf appeared to be quite relaxed, in fact, even if flushed. She ducked her head to hide the smile when the other voiced his teasing rebuke about Kevlar being the truly thoughtless one. In that moment, Lacrimae deeply regretted she didn't know how to be a companion, friend, that could exchange light, teasing remarks with someone. All she had been taught was 'be graceful, powerful, aspiring;Leader.'

With this thought, she had withdrawn her hands, reminded that she also had to be efficient in her actions. Woman caught something flashing across the other's face when she did, but couldn't quite figure out what it is, so she focused on the deer. The man, for once, did as told and changed, soon settling down by the fire. While her hands worked with the meat, her mind was busy with dark elf's words about his old life. It must have been a crazy and lonely one. Still, it was often self-imposed solitude. When he inquired about Kevlar's sickness, she said that she had her suspicion but wanted to hear a full-fledged healer's opinion.

When the cave was cleaned up and the pair settled down to eat, Mae smiled a happily at the compliments, pleased that the meal had turned out to be a good one, especially judging by the way he was wolfing it down. To be honest, it was quite delicious, not that she meant to blow her own horn or anything. It would replenish the energy they both had lost today and she had found that people worried a lot less on full stomach.

Softly sighing in nearly-content feeling (all that she needed to really feel pleased was Kevlar sitting and eating with them and for perfect situation, the artifacts would need to be in her bag), she placed the tray down and felt Saith shifting beside her. The woman turned to face him, expecting... Well, nothing really, just wanting to see what he was up to - and perhaps stare at that beautiful scarf a little more.

But, suddenly, he was just so close that her heart jumped in surprise, eyes widening. All her senses seemed to focus on the man, her ears tuning in to his breathing, nose catching that strange, yet soothing scent. The sensible thing would be to move away from Saith, keep a respectable distance between them, but she didn't. No, instead, she stared at him, trying to guess what he was going to - or wanted to - do. He really was handsome, the crackling fire making light and shadow dance over his features, seemingly smoothing away the hate and pain that was so often there. Somewhere in back of her mind, thought of kiss swam up again, but it was swept away but his gentle, barely there touch.

A slight shiver ran down her spine, eyelashes lowering over her blue eyes. Normally, she hated anyone in her personal space; touches had been few and rare in her life and Mae didn't really mind it (told herself she didn't want them anyway). Maybe for that reason, she felt this one even more keenly. When her gaze focused on the single eyelash on tip of his finger, a soft laugh bubbled on her lips, a kind and happy one. The thought that he would know this nearly forgotten saying and that he, of all people, would put some kind of belief in such a thing was endearing. And, yet, it was also incredibly moving. No one, in her whole life, had thought to give her a wish, a choice. Only him, this man that had suffered at her hand, yet been ready to die for her.

She briefly closed eyes, allowing the moment to wrap her up, and wishes, wished with all her heart's might, still smiling. "Thank you," Mae whispered, opening eyes. He was still so close, much too close for it to be proper, and oh Sun, Saith was leaning even closer. By now, her heart was beating fast in her chest and absent mindedly, she hoped he wouldn't be able to hear it. There was something definitely predatory the way he was looking at her, and from one side, the independent woman in her wanted to remind him that she was not some weak sheep to be dominated and torn apart, but from other, part wanted to learn if his assault wouldn't be as gentle, kind as the previous touch.

The thought of kiss was definitely much more dominant now and as his breath ghosted over her lips, Mae wanted, wanted to... Experience it. Just once, to taste what all the poets composed countless poems about, what every other girl had dreamed about while she had denied herself such fantasies. Heart speeding up another notch when Saith spoke, she suddenly got scared. What if he said that L word? No, he couldn't. It was too much, too fast. If he said it, she would never be able to taste his lips, not even once, for she would not want to give him hope and break his heart, for they could never be.

So, the woman of action that she truly was, Lacrimae moved forward with intent of closing the tiny gap left between them. But in the same moment, their little cave was lit up by lightning that struck much too close for comfort, nearly immediately followed by mind-shattering thunder, which made her jump and turn her head, lips brushing over the corner of his lips and slightly cheek. It was like the lightning had lit fire in her cheeks as well that were now burning red as she pulled away from Saith, eyes anywhere but on him.

"I..." she cleared her throat, moving to stand up and then kneeling down beside pile of her belongings. "You must take my sleeping bag and blanket tonight. I will not be sleeping much, I must attend to Kevlar. I will not allow you to sleep on just this cold stone floor," Mae said in her best authoritative tone, although it lacked the distance from emotions it normally had. She handed the items over to him and began slowly giving food and drink to the knight that she propped up against wall.

Most of the night she indeed spent keeping the fire burning bright, giving their poor friend more to drink and placing cold cloth on his forehead for fever. But when the seemingly endless night drew closer to morning and thunderstorm retreated, the priestess, too, was exhausted and decided to just rest her weary eyes for a moment. If Saith wasn't using the blanket in some way, she decided to hog a corner of it and sit down by his - hers - sleeping bag. However, soon enough sleep took over her.

Mae smiled and snuggled slightly deeper into this warmth under her cheek. On the edge between sleep and awake, she felt absolutely happy, content and safe, and although she knew there was something she had to do, the heartbeat under her ear were lulling her back into sleep. Wait, heartbeat!? This thought pulled her into reality sharply. Somehow, in her sleep, she had shifted closer to Saith, finding that sleeping partially across his chest was a lot more comfortable then leaning against cold wall.

His heart beat rhythmically, soothingly under her ear and the woman was afraid of shifting suddenly so not to wake him. Worse if his arm(s) happened to be wrapped around her now. And truth be told, she wanted to enjoy this moment for a tiny bit longer. When was the last time she had been hugged? After she led the wedding ceremony for Geron and his wife? No, when her friend found out she was expecting... So, about 9 months ago. But it was wrong to use Saith for huge heater and cuddle-something (despite how tempting it was), especially without his knowledge and after what had happened earlier that night. (His skin had been so surprisingly soft and despite her best efforts this nearly-kiss was going to be burned in her mind.)

Now that she had all her wits about her, Mae realized she had come far too close to... Something she shouldn't have. Priestesses rarely married and if they did, it usually was to benefit their temple or their land. Besides, there were just so many other complication, like his dream for being knight and his own racial bias. He would move away as soon as his pride would be soothed with catching the thief, forget all about her. With soft sigh, she began to disentangle herself from dark elf.

If she succeeded without waking him, she'd set to feed the fire, check on Kevlar, give him something to drink and prepare some food for all of them, smiling as the rising sun seemed to chase away last bit of clouds and promising a beautiful, although still muddy, day ahead of themselves.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Last edited by sadrain; 02-27-2015 at 08:52 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 02-27-2015, 09:52 PM

I think I have fallen in love with you.

It's what he wanted to say. It's what his heart felt. And despite all that, a part of him wondered if it was wrong. Was he drawn to her because she was in a state of weakness? Had the hunt awoken his animal instincts? Had it driven in mad with power and on the hunt for blood? Her blood? He would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't interested in that. And yet, despite his manly desires, a part of him knew he could never succumb to such a man. Not with her at least.

When she didn't pull away from his kiss, Saith actually found himself at awe. Why. Why wasn't she moving? Did she want this too? Was she curious about what was between them? She was a proper, good little girl. He was the troublesome bad boy. Did they thirst for the opposite? Or would they repel due to their extreme differences. The lap of luxury with many rules and faces versus the life on the run full of the utmost freedom and selfish desires. Oh they were certainly polar opposites. She the light to his dark, the white to his black.

But if their feelings were true.... If their love was pure....

What would happen? Could they happen? Would the laws she lived by allow such a thing? Could he really give up his world of wilds and darkness for one of formalities and punctuality?

Before the thunder spoke, his eyes catch the whitening crack outside the cave. In that jarring moment, he saw something flash before his eyes. It was like a dream. Never before had he seen something so beautiful. It was truly a masterpiece before his eyes, so much so that he began to tear up.

Sadly, the vision was gone in that quick flash of lightning. And before he knew it, Mae was jumping out of her skin and brushing her lips against his. Had he been quicker and not lost in his dream, he might have spun her over, pinned her to the ground, and kissed her against the cold, stone ground. Would he have gone further? Oh he would want to but he would hold back and just give her one, long passionate kiss.

Instead, he missed his moment. She was already gone and his lips were left cold and alone. Again, her moments broke his heart ever so subtly. How was it that one woman could have such control over a highly independent, aggressive, and stubborn man?

Was this really love?

She forced him to take up her sleeping bag and blanket. He refused to protest because the idea of sleeping beside her scent was the only thing that could mend his broken dream. He had wished for a kiss and instead got blankets.

Wrapping himself up in her scent, he immediately found slumber. There was something soothing about her flower-peddle scent of sun and summer. And when it washed over him, it sung him to sleep like a mother's sweet lullaby.

Left to his dream, he saw that masterpiece before his mind again. There, in full color, he saw what he wanted most.

The white armor looked dashing against his black skin. He rode on a horse of black and white, a truly beautiful creature. And there, clinging to his back was a smiling woman. Her golden hair adorned with a thousand small flowers of blues and whites. Her gown, a glowing, shimmering maize with quaint gold and diamond inlay gems sparkled brighter than his suit of armor. Her arms were wrapped around his torso. She beamed up at him and he beamed down at her. Perfectly in love.

The image never shifted or moved. It just stayed there, static and flawless. Mae, his angelic beacon of strength, courage, and love, looked radiant as ever. She seemed so at peace and so fear beside him. And of course, Saith had finally had his wish come true. He had reached his knighthood status and was tasked with guarding the perfect woman, Mae.

He spent nearly all night and morning marveling at this image. It made him want to try harder and prove to her that he wouldn't up and leave when he obtained knighthood. He would make her understand that he was drawn to her in a way he just couldn't put in words.

Saith's eyes fluttered open. Something warm brushed against him. Eyes looking downward, he spied what interrupted his dreaming.

"Mae," he whispered blissfully. Ever so gently, he tucked the blankets around her and snuggled a little bit closer to her. He was hesitant to wrap his arm around her but then he realized, he didn't care. If she didn't want his arm there, she would tell him in the morning. For now, she could sleep knowing that his arm protected her.

Again, he drifted back to sleep and, in doing so, their position shifted again. But of course, it wasn't long-lasting. One of the perks of being a drow was knowing when someone woke up. Their breathing pattern changed. They would try to hold their breath and stop their heartbeat.

He made not a sound and did nothing to change his own pattern. He was excellent at masking whether he was asleep or awake; years of practice works wonders on mastering the body. While she tried to squirm away, likely in embarrassment, Saith decided to snuggle closer. It was a natural reaction to someone leaving you while sleeping. He had watched it many times and always found it funny.

Not wanting her to suffer too much longer, Saith nuzzled her back before kissing her ear with his breath. "You wiggle, a lot, when you sleep. It's kind of... cute," he cooed.

Releasing her from his arms, Saith rolled back and began to sit upright. Of course, with how he wrapped himself up on the blanket, that meant no more blanket for Mae. As it fell off her shoulder, it brought Saith's memory back to that night on the bench. And how he almost saw her naked.

He laughed lightly before flopping back against the floor. "Lacrimae," he began before rolling closer to her. "I..." How could he start this? How could he speak what was on his mind?

"I..." he paused and collected his thoughts. Yes, he had to tell her. And if she tried to interrupt him, he would put a finger to her lips.

"I just wanted to let you know that I won't ever intentionally try to hurt or upset you." His eyes looked into hers. She needed to know he meant what he was saying. Everything about him was sincere and genuine at the moment. It was odd, actually. He was always so brooding and nasty. And yet, with her? Why, he felt like a different man. No, he wanted to be a better man. He needed to be a better man so that he could win her heart.

"I just want you to be happy, for you to do what you want without feeling like someone's holding you back or forcing you into something. I know all too well what it's like to be a prisoner. To be hated and forced into a life you don't want. And I could never want that for your. Your wishes are important. Your dreams are probably pure. And... and I... I just want to make sure you get the most out of your life. You've already been cheated out of some of it. I don't want you to lose the rest to something you think you can't control."

TwitchTumblrInstagram
Wanna roleplay? WTF or Mene

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-27-2015, 11:32 PM

She had listened, closely, to his breathing in attempt to understand if he was merely faking being asleep or truly were off in some kind of dream land (Mae hoped it was kinder to him than the reality). Finally, she had come to conclusion the dark elf was truly sleeping. But despite that, he immediately followed her when she tried to slip away, turning their position into somehow suggestive. Not necessarily suggesting something of mature nature, but certainly that the two of them were close and comfortable with each other's very close presence. And, oh Sun help her, was it not true in some ways?

Her breath hitched when the man nuzzled her, his breath so close to her ear. Was he making it a habit of whispering sweet, strange things in her ear, making that shudder run down her spine? This time he must have felt it, too! Heat blossomed in Mae's cheeks, both from this realization and what Saith had said. "I am not cute," she blurted out, albeit still in whisper, in an attempt to find some kind of firm ground in this situation. By gods, he hadn't even said she was, only that her wiggling was. A clear proof that she was going around assuming things. But he definitely wasn't helping to calm her over-reactive imagination, either! In fact, he did the opposite with the implications in his tone.

Frustrated with herself and Saith, she pulled away from his arms and sat up. Quick glance downward made the blush reach her ears and neck and she quickly adjusted her dress that was one wrinkly mess by now and had partially slipped off of one her shoulders as the woman slept. Her hair must be an absolute horror, too! Deeper frown settled between her brows. Not that she wanted to impress Saith by always looking perfect or anything, but this was highly improper. It was a good thing no one could see them her--- Kevlar!

Her gaze immediately went to the human who still appeared to be sleeping, much to high priestess' relief. She was about to get up when the dark elf spoke up and she turned to look at him, expression still slightly cross. But as Saith explained he didn't want to hurt her, Mae's gaze softened slightly. Still, she was determined to keep this on the proper path and opened her mouth to speak: "I truly appreciate--" In that moment, one of his dark, slender fingers came up to silence her, pressing slightly at her lips and woman's mouth snapped shut, frown deepening again. No one shushed her, the high priestess of sun! Yet, he did it so gently, she decided to let it go, just this once. Especially because tiny part of her wanted to press a kiss to this shushing digit. What an absurd idea!

To be honest, his speech stunned her. Blue eyes widened and stared in his darker ones in wonder and even confusion. What was he talking about? About... this, them? As he had pointed out last night, it was not long ago that he had accused her of being spoiled brat and yet now he promised to give her more than anyone else had ever had. A freedom of choice. Had she been less capable of controlling her emotions, there would be tears in her eyes now. But she managed to withhold them and when it seemed that Saith had finished talking, she took his hand and pulled away from her face, laying it down on the blanket and left hers covering it.

"Saith, I thank you for your words, your intentions. I feel they are honest and true, and I am honored. Yet, the freedom you offer me is not yours to give. I may not have chosen or wanted to take the oaths," she paused here for a split second, for it was first time she voiced this truth to any other soul than the one she had called mother long ago, the one who had put this role onto young girl's shoulders despite her wishes.

"But now they are mine. And I am not complaining, I am not breaking under their weight for I am not some maiden waiting to be rescued." She looked at him with slightly sad smile. Perhaps, this was all the reason for Saith's actions. His knightly nature, the one he tried to deny, but couldn't hide, thought he had found the perfect lady to free. Perhaps rivalry with Kevlar also boosted it. Of course, this had to be it, not some kind of true affection that the dark elf could harbor for her. It was just a mirage he held onto... There was a quite painful pang somewhere in her chest at the realization. "I am the one who has always done my rescuing, and even that of others," Mae reminded him rather matter-of-factly.

"My choices always must take needs of my people before my own. And right now, it means getting those orbs in safe place, far away from anyone who might wish to use them for evil. Or there may be no more life to miss out on. For any of us. And I still have that knighting ceremony of yours to see. There are many people who would be blessed to have such a knight as you by their side and perhaps you will not mind if I one day tell I was your first escort mission, despite my origin." At this, she grinned cheekily (had sun risen in West this morning!?) and released his hand, standing up.

Mae moved towards the cave's exit to check on the horses, but before she went outside, she turned around and looked at him. "I, too, would be happy if I had you by my side, if that were possible." If she meant it as her knight or something more, the woman did not elaborate and exited their sheltered, returning later to go about the morning routine and spending a good deal of time with Kevlar, again healing him and giving the man energy. It would be wonderful if he'd wake and eat some on his own... But the situation was not looking too great. "Saith, perhaps I should ride ahead and ask for healer and carriage to take you two to the city? I know the apprentice, he would not hesitate to help," she turned to the other, tilting head to side slightly. "He is now well enough to last while the help arrives." If the dark elf agreed, then Mae would prepare to depart without any hesitation.

~ p o p p e t ♥, Queen_Andais, star2000shadow, Eastriel are absolutely amazing ~

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!
Send a message via AIM to Xavirne Send a message via MSN to Xavirne Send a message via Yahoo to Xavirne

Old 02-28-2015, 12:17 AM

At her curtly response to "not being cute," Saith frowned. How was she not cute? Her adorable little wiggles all night long were distracting. Granted, no part of her looks were "cute." No, cute was for her actions. Beauty? Why, only that could describe her looks. She was neither pretty or hot. She was, simply put, beautifully gorgeous. The way she held herself and the way she wore her clothes were far from seductive. Still, her proportions were perfect. Her hair was hardly ever flawed (seriously, how did she not get knots in it?!). And those blue eyes of hers were always alive, kind, and welcoming. Her skin was soft like warm butter and her voice was like that of a thousand whispering angels. She truly was a beautiful elf in the most lackluster way possible. Mae wasn't weighed down by gaudy things like jewels and gems. She was a simpler gal, a kind whose beauty didn't need to be hidden by riches and gold.

Blinking at her tone now, Saith began to wish he hadn't said a thing. He knew when someone was trying to be professional and, quite frankly, this was hardly the time. Had she not just spent a few hours listening to his heart beat? Had she not graced his lips with a light brush of her own? And what about the night before where they shared a tender topic below the moonlit sky?

Taken aback by her lack of compassion and understanding, Saith turned his head away and let his ears fall deaf to her words. Yes, he listened but they were just hallow tunes she spoke. Just more riddles and walls to keep herself distanced from him.

Had he been elven or royal, would she resist as much? Had his skin been white instead of black, would she have let his words reach her heart instead of her position in life?

Frustrated and hurt, Saith hardly uttered another word. If she wanted nothing to do with him, she needed to stop toying with him. Perhaps he ought to say something? Would that be too brass? Too harsh?

No, maybe she needed to know. To know that, like her, his heart was on the line. If she couldn't give him an ounce of love, then why should he bother? Yes, of course he would remain a loyal guide and warrior. But would he try to win her heart over? Would he try to swoon her? Court her? Lover her?

No.

And in that breaking, fleeting, fragile moment, Saith exhaled a sad sigh. This was his reality. This was how it was always going to be. There was no him. There was no her. There would never be a "them."

"Your choices must always take needs of your people before you own," he quoted her word-for-word. Looking up at her with dull eyes, he retorted, "You need not my permission to save someone."

Circling around, he took a seat beside Kevlar. "I'll get him to eat." With that, he kept his lips drawn tight and made quick work of the leftover food from yesterday. He looked not once up at Mae and refused to utter another word to her. The sting of her politically correct words still burned his flesh too much and they would likely weigh him down for the next few days. Yes, he was used to rejection. But he was not used to passive aggressive, cowardly rejection.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Whatever had been there moments ago was slipping away, though her fingers like dust of something precious that had crumbled in her hands. Perhaps at the force of her own hold. She could sense it in the tension that suddenly slipped back in Saith, the way his eyes, so open and honest mere moments ago, were closed up again. And although it was better that way, Mae felt... Hollowed, somehow, in pit of her stomach.

And when he snapped at her, throwing priestesses' words back in her face, it stung like a slap. Woman nearly winced, but the anger rising in her held her head and gaze even. She had trusted him with these words! Had trusted him to understand her life, her reality. Had she said she loved the way things were? No! But she was not some irresponsible wandered that could pack up her things and go seek adventure with... With a man who would spill his anger out on her when she didn't fall in the role of distressed lady, begging with her eyes to save her!

Elven woman stood up, brushing off few specks of dirt from her skirt and stared down at Saith, her eyes suddenly having a fierce glint, although her lips were still pressed into thin, but polite smile. "My apologies for trying to do this like a team and asking for your opinion, not ordering you around and deciding for all of us," she said. Had Mae been more passionate and loud, this could have quickly turned into heated argument. But even in her irritated state, she retained control and if dark elf made any attempts to prolong the discussion, she simply rebuked or ignored them.

Quickly, she packed away most of the remaining food (leaving enough for good breakfast for the two men, but not eating anything herself) so they could take it with them, as it would be waste to leave it here, gave more re-heated tea to Kevlar and then bid curt good bye to Saith. Placing her belongings on Reann, her fingers lingered briefly on the wrapped up sleeping bag and blanket, as if she could try and physically grasp again that soft, safe something.

Then she climbed on horse and rode off. The wind whistled in her ears and soothed that sense of disappointment and sadness swirling in her head. It was better this way. There was no way the two of them could truly get along, not even speaking of harboring something more, for prolonged time. They were too different. Yet love... Didn't love transcend race, time, worlds? It reduced cities to ash and built them again. Of course, there were kinder, gentler loves, like the one between Geron and his wife where the elven priestess had to encourage both to dare and embrace it, but it was no less powerful and important.

No, Saith hadn't meant to say that word in any case. If he had, then he would not act so insulted for her reminding that she was more than distressed maiden, that they were on a journey to perhaps prevent start of great war or worse. He would understand and someone who loved didn't just give up because the other didn't swoon and fall in their arms right away. Someone who loved her would try to pursue her, show her that love was worth it, that they together were worth it, stronger and would support her...

But did she even want to be pursued, wooed, courted? Part of her immediately said yes, the one that thrived for romance like many women's hearts did. The other still remembered her duties and also recoiled at the thought of becoming a prey or being trapped, even if only in love's game. And still, she felt hurt by Saith's reaction and his words, nearly like her trust had been betrayed.

She had been right judging that the trio wouldn't have reached the city on time. Even now in day light, with tired rider and horse, the trip took a while and her worries slowly turned towards Kevlar and his state of health. When the priestess came to stop in front of apprentice's house, she was breathless and scared the poor human man. After short explanation, he hurried to prepare a carriage and ask for one of the healers to accompany it. Mae considered joining them to show the place, but the healer insisted on knowing the spot, as few of their young apprentices used it for shelter on longer gathering trips, so priestess decided to use this time to rest and contact her temple.

When carriage would arrive with her companions, Lacrimae had had a quick bath and changed into simple linen dress much alike those that women from healer guild wore, her hair pulled up in loose hairdo. Immediately, she set to help get Kevlar out of the carriage and into the room where she remained with healers until they finally managed to send her out, assuring they had everything under control. She had already explained to eldest healer of her suspicion.

With sigh, she rested her head against cool glass. Truth be told, it felt a bit too cool... But she never fell sick, there was no way she could have a fever now. Especially when there was so much to be done. Her thoughts swam back to the temple, Geron and his little daughter and corners of priestess' mouth lifted in slight, sad smile. Oh, how she wished she could have been there. Or that she at least had someone to speak with right now. Her thoughts turned to Saith, but no. She had already done too much of opening to him and all she got in return was being seen as weak.

All that truly mattered now was to get Kevlar in travelling condition so they could use portal to Mage of Silver's tower. She had insisted that as soon as the knight came more to his senses, she had to be called, but in truth she probably ended up sitting by his bedside more, whenever there wasn't some kind of official business to attend to. If his recovery was going to take more than a day, though, she would go ahead, perhaps take Saith along, and Kevlar could join them in the tower when he was better. She'd hate to leave him behind even for a short while like that, but they were losing precious time.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-06-2015, 08:18 PM

She was finally gone. Good, he snorted to himself. Arms crossing over his chiseled chest, the drow rolled a light growl off his lips. Nothing annoyed him more than someone who couldn't keep politics and personal conversations apart.

As his anger-stricken eyes glared outside the cave, a gentle touch brushed over his leg -- nearly scaring the living daylight out of the black-skinned man. A small yelp pursed his lips as Saith recoiled away from the touching sensation.

Eyes frantically crashing around the cave for an explanation, he finally met those softer, cooling orbs of his ill comrade.

"Holy goddess of the moon spirit," he chided before recovering and kneeling beside the handsome raven. "You nearly scared my soul away." He tried not to look too frazzled but it was impossible at this point. His heart was still beating heavily and the white hair on the back of his neck was at ends.

"Heh, sorry." Kev slid his hand back beneath the blanket. "Didn't mean to turn you so ghostly white." With a chuckle, he began to scoot his way out from under the covers.

"Uh," Saith's hand stopped Kevlar's movement, "what are you doing? You're sick. Her highness would be livid if I let you move about in your condition."

"Saith," Kev cupped his hand neatly around the longer, more limber black fingers of his friend. "She's already livid. No need to worry about what I'll do to your relationship with her."

Scoffing, Saith rolled backwards and took a seat beside the knight. Rubbing his hand over the nap of his neck, he sheepishly shifted his attention from the human toward that of the fire. With eyes diverted, he muttered, "So I take it you heard everything." He actually sounded rather pathetic in that comment, but it was a clear indicator that he was displeased with how he handled the situation.

"It was hard not to. Though I will admit, I'm taken aback by both of you. To think, I purposely fell ill to allow your love to blossom and for what? You two to go back to being mortal enemies? Gah, my ailments were for naught. Just typical."

Saith, whose mouth was agape, just stared lifelessly at his suddenly well companion. In disbelief, he draped his hand over the other's brow to test the warmth of it.

"You...." Saith's eyes narrowed into slender daggers.

"Now, now!" Raising his hands in defense, Kev slowly shifted away. "Don't be testy! I couldn't help but notice your lovely moonlit proposal to Mae just two nights ago." Clearing his throat, he lowered Saith's fist and tried to comfort the drow. "I can tell you have feelings for her. It's pretty obvi--" his finger butted up against Saith's lips. "Uh, uh, uh! No interjections or objections. I know love when I see it! And if you keep acting like you don't care, you'll never win her over. You were doing so well until you let that temper of yours wash over you and spread like a wildfire in a drought."

With Saith silently absorbing every word Kev uttered, the knight smiled. It was nice to see that, despite what Saith wanted to argue, he knew whatever the raven had to share would be worthwhile. And on that note, he continued.

"I assume you've had others before." A gentle nod confirmed his suspicions. Opening his mouth to speak, Kev paused when he saw something flicker in Saith's eyes.

"She's different though. She... she's... she's infuriating! I've never been so tense around someone. I feel like I walk on egg shells around her. She's so prime-and-proper. And me? Heh!" Saith forced a fake laugh. "I'm hardly proper. I'm a thief, a bandit, a con man. Hardly suitable for a lady of her stature and position."

"So?" Kev brushed away a strand of hair and shifted his position so he could truly soak up everything Saith was going to confess. If he wanted to give the drow the best advice, he needed to listen with not just his ears, but with his eyes and body too. Everything about this drow would give him clues as to how Saith really felt.

"How can I compete? How can I win? It's like I'm trying to create a fire in a monsoon! It's impossible."

Silence filled the cave for a few minutes. Then, came a light smirk.

"And yet, I can't help but try." Saith's blue eyes met those teal one's of Kev. "It's hard to describe but she makes me want to be a better man. Someone trustworthy, dependable.... Someone worthy of loving."

"In the past, all those I ran with were just flings. Women I cast aside after I had my fill. Nothing was concrete and no one meant anything to me. I didn't care if I broke them. I didn't care if their fathers came at me with their swords unsheathed. I just didn't have those...."

His hand opened and contracted before his eyes for a few moments before sliding over his heart.

"It hurts," he said with his eyes on the ground. Ears drooping and breath slowing, he just glared at the dirt floor within the cave. "I see the progress. I can see the light in her eyes. And yet, I stumble, fall, and crash. I get so close and then," his hand danced off into the wind, "she's gone."

Kevlar rose and pondered his words for a second. Placing a heavy hand on his friend, he gave Saith's shoulder a good squeeze.

"Perhaps it's time you stop pretending to be something you're not."

Innocent, curious eyes much like a child who had never experienced love looked soullessly up at Kevlar.

"You think you're evil. You think you're a bad man." His voice enriched, sounding more like that of rich honey and love that than of a hardened knight. "You're not. I've met hundreds of other knights and not one of them has intentions and a resolution like yours. Saith, you're already a hero as far as I'm concerned. Don't let you past chase away your future. If you want her, then keep fighting. Don't let her words, her lies, her walls stop you."

Releasing his grip on Saith, Kev smiled. "Just give her time. Let your feels bloom and let her heart warm. She's so used to being alone that her heart has frozen over. You can thaw that loneliness she's suffering from. You just have to slowly and patiently chip away at the icy wall until she can finally be the woman she so desperately wants to be." Bending over, Kev began to pack up the gear. "Just give her time, Saith. Just let her move through the motions. Keep doing what you're doing. If you're meant to be, she'll reach out and she'll touch your heart."

It was certainly odd to imagine that Kev might be right and yet, deep within, Saith knew the knight's words were true. If he truly wanted to make things right by Mae, then he would have to fight much like a soldier fights in a war. He would have to lose his temper and think twice before rudely reiterating words she previously spoke to him. It would be a struggle but one worthy of his time and effort. Why, even if his hardships bore no fruit, he would still take pride in the fact that he could willingly change for a woman. That alone was feat enough for him.

A firm head nod and a light smirk came next. "I suppose you're right." Jeering, he cackled. "Though I don't want anyone to know that I'm getting tips from a human of all creatures." A friendly wink ended the teasing. "Well, since you appear fit as a fiddle, we ought to make hast toward town. Her highness will not be pleased with your sudden recovery. Speaking of ailments... however did you fool her?"

While packing up and mounting, Kev explained. "Simple. I'm not of your land. I'm from another shore where drugs are the perfect excuse to missing training and quests. As a knight, we're supposed to travel out on our own and slay monsters, obey nobles, and bring about change. This training starts at the rip young age of thirteen. Nearly all who rank as young knights are petrified of going out alone to face dragons, monsters, and men of darkness. To avoid an early death, a drug was conjured. It would give the taker two to seven days of ailments. Just enough to postpone trial but not too long that it would send us to an early grave."

"I never took to using them much during knighthood training. I never saw the use. Safe to say, I have a stockpile of them. I reckon I only dosed myself maybe once or twice. Once to aid a friend. He so desperately wanted my time slot. He hoped that, if he could successfully complete the mission, he would return the night the love of his life returned for her own lady boot camp. By getting sick, my slot opened up for him. Heh, he's married to her still and they're expecting their fourth child."

"And the other time?"

"Death of a family member. I needed to attend the funeral and it's ill-advised for a knight to leave his training for personal matters. We're not supposed to be attached to anyone but the one we serve. I popped a pill and fell ill. It postponed my mission for a solid year. Not what I wanted but it gave me plenty of time to part with my past. It also allowed me to toughen up. If you ever travel to my lands, ask about my legend I left behind. If my record continues to amaze me, I will still be the first knight to complete all missions by the second moon. It's unheard of to be that... well, gifted."

"Ah, so bragging must have been a part of your training." Saith wrinkled his nose and let out another laugh. "Sorry, I couldn't resist."

"Ha, it's fine. It's nice to actually tell my story without having people swoon or fall for me." Face solidifying and expressions falling dry, he glared at the drow. "You're not falling for me... right?"

"Mayhaps. Though you've nothing to worry about. I've got my eyes set on someone a little less conceited and far softer than you."

"Good gods!" His hands flailed and he shielded the ears of his horse. "How dareth you speak of my trusty companion in such a tone!" Laughter erupted from both and in relatively no time, they were off. Saith keep on his toes while Kev trotted forward on Ruine.

TwitchTumblrInstagram

Last edited by Xavirne; 03-09-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM

For the most part, the ride was simple and when they came across the traveling healers, Kev admitted that he was surprisingly better. Of course, none would believe him and proceeded with poking and prodding the brunette. In due time, the suspicious eyes of the healers realized the truth in Kev's miraculous recovery and aided with the escort back to town. The convoy spoke lightly of what was in store for them, namely because Kevlar was playing 20-questions about the town. He needed to know all the food, faces, and fun that could be had. Clearly, his appetite was back and full swing!

Meanwhile, Saith kept to the back. Ears up, he kept close tabs on the conversation up ahead. Every now and again, he would smirk. Kev, despite being the romance-expert, did a marvelous job walking himself into bashful conversations. The poor chap didn't even realize he stepped into a brothel-related conversation. Granted, the moment he realized his mistake, he stammered his way out of fierce objections and stares.

"Ah, cut the knight some slack," Saith chimed in. "He's not of this land so he's still getting accustomed to our tongue."

Sheepish grin on face, Kev shot Saith a 'thank you' glance. It was odd how not too long ago they both fought for the same woman's hand. And now? Why, they were the best of friends; able to joke, tease, and play without disgrace or fear. It was heartwarming. The whole concept of a true best friend made Kev smile as he rode on Ruine. His head was in the clouds, thinking about how he would very much like to serve alongside Saith, should be become a knight. And if he didn't? Well, Kev was all for quitting and taking up a scout route with the drow.

The merriment and laughter was just the icing on the cake. Perhaps things were looking up. If all remained this peaceful and quiet, the trio might finally make some headway on stopping the thief.

Quiet....

Saith's ears shot back as his pupils shriveled into little black slits. Something was wrong. Very wrong. Not a bird chirped. Not a bug buzzed. Why, even the wind had stopped swaying the grass and leaves.

Heart in his throat, Saith's paleness returned. He felt sick. Had they...

"GET DOWN!" His voice cracked just seconds before a barrage of arrows flew from all directions. Not having enough time to lace up his own arrows, Saith slid toward the wagon that was now trapped between enemy fire.

Eyes scanning all that he could see, his naturally blue orbs flicked red. It was time to see all there was to see.

A rustle in the trees above told him there were six men with arrows pointed at their location. The light rustle of grass alerted his eyes to the four men belly-crawling like snakes from the underbrush. Three more men to the north and south were hiding with their backs against the trunks of trees.

There were outnumbered. Outgunned.

Blinking, he silenced the chaos that whirled around him. He needed a plan. A plan. Anything! SOMETHING!

"Saith," a cold touch came to his thigh. Immediately opening his eyes, he spied Kev. "I think they're after the priestess. They're oblivious to the fact that she's not here. We've an edge. We can turn this around."

They wanted Mae? They wanted the sun? It made too much sense. Why else would someone attack an unarmed carriage of healers. They had nothing on them but a few tricks and potions, hardly worth raiding. There was no other logical explanation. They did want Mae. But why? Was this the thief's doing? Or was someone else at play now? It had to be the woman from the inn. She must have tipped off some local rebels to ambush and delay their pursuit. Right? Maybe? No.... UGH! He didn't have time for this.

Reaching into his pocket, he held his breath. He had one shot. One shot to do this. And if he failed, Mae was as good as taken.

Heart racing, he slammed a smoke bomb against the ground. In mere seconds, the gray cloud devoured the imprisoned crew. And in that darkness, his eyes aglow lead him to his plan. It was reckless, foolish, stupid. But if it worked, it would save a life. Her life.

As expected, the enemies took the bait and approached the smokey area. They waited. Waited.... waited until the smoke fell. Then, once it was just clear enough to see, they made their move.

"No! Let go of me! Saith, Kevlar! H--" the woman's mouth was gagged. She resisted. She squirmed. She tried everything to fight off the men that kidnapped her, but it was futile.

Kev, successfully coughing due to still being slightly sick was about as useless as they came. And Saith, despite being the one to drop the smoke bomb, was...

Eyes wide, Kev shifted forward but found a sharp pain in his side. Wincing, he looked back to notice an arrow promptly stopped his advancing toward Saith and Mae. "SAITH! GET UP!" Hand outstretched, he reached for the drow. But from where Kev laid in the untrimmed grass, the drow didn't look to be in good condition. A plethora of arrows were dropped all over his body. He was either....

No, Saith was stronger than that.

"NOOOO! HELP!"

That voice came back. Kev's eyes darted to the woman. They were kidnapping one of the healer-girls. God, she looked similar to Mae. It was an easy mistake but it was a mistake that would land the kidnapped girl an early death.

Gripping his spear, Kev forced himself to his knees. "STOP!" His lungs refused to take in more air, causing him to double-over in pain. Rasping, his sad eyes could only trail after the bandits and the stolen woman.

Once the enemies were gone, the other healers could move freely. They jumped to Kev's side. "No, Saith. Go help Saith. I'll be fine," he barked. Listening to his every word, the healers moved to the arrow-laced body. With sad, worrisome eyes, the removed the arrows and flipped the body.

Saith was....

"This... this... this is a decoy?"

Overcoming the pain, Kevlar jerked to the 'decoy.' "What?! How... wha...." Jaw ajar, he turned his head slowly toward the forest. "He...."

"Sir, we need to get to the village immediately. As soon as they discover they've captured your friend and not the priestess, they will come back to us. We need to get you and her out of here quickly, or your friend's death will be in vain."

"Saith, you fool."

Without another word, the crew rode hard toward the village. Upon arrival, Kev ripped off his horse and made bee-line for Mae. "Thank heavens," his hands were all over her. He cared not for the inappropriate touching and sight he caused, he had to ensure she was unscathed. "We need to leave now. Pack up your stuff. We push forward and get as much distance between us and them as we can."

TwitchTumblrInstagram

Last edited by Xavirne; 03-09-2015 at 05:06 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 PM

They were late. Despite the healer's attempts to assure her that if Kevlar was in worse state, they might have to take time to treat him on the spot, Mae knew they were late, that something had happened. In truth, her intuition was not much better than the next girl's, so it could have as well been the stress having its effects on the priestess. Unfortunately, this time she was indeed right.

For once, she gave into the need to restlessly pace by the window, as there was no one to witness it, and as soon as the sound of hooves on pavement reached her sensitive ears, Lacrimae was flying down the stairs, although gliding might be better word due to her graceful ways. "What happened!?" she asked, seeing the ravaged state of group. Next moment, the knight was off his horse, grasping her shoulders, touching her face - touching far too much.

"Kevlar, you might still have fever, but this is inexcusable, so restrain yourself and tell me who attacked you and where is Saith!" young woman demanded with blue eyes narrowed as she took a step back. The healers and perhaps the knight spoke through one another, explaining the situation and the priestess visibly paled.

As the injured were brought inside to be treated, she was left with only few of the healers and Kevlar. "Saith tricked the kidnappers, so they took him instead?" she clarified, quite needlessly. Sun be merciful! He could already... No, she refused to believe that. The dark elf was far too crafty. Yet, even his abilities had limits. To think that her last words to him could be full of spite and anger. Her heart clenched. Although the high priestess had lost many friends over the long years of her life, this would be the most bitter parting yet.

In this moment, something clicked in her mind and her she touched Kevlar's forehead. No signs of fever anymore, it was like he had miraculously recovered. "Did they treat you already?" Mae asked, suspicion in her voice. "No matter, you will tell me that later. I refuse to leave this village in danger of pillagers or that foolish man to his death. I will contact mage of silver immediately and we shall form a search party."

She turned around and entered the building, a minute later already speaking to the mage through crystal. He was an elf by looks not much older than the priestess with dark chocolate hair and hazel eyes, his features handsome, if slightly arrogant, but it was obvious that he was smart. At first, he insisted that the two of them took portal to tower right away and he would take care of the search party and defenses, but Lacrimae could not be persuaded, so, he decided to come instead.

It wouldn't be even an hour later when people began streaming through the portal arch in backyard of mage apprentice's home. In this time, elven maiden had spent preparing and arranging, her horse tended to. She had dressed in her 'war' outfit, the lightweight armor with strange, durable weave all over, her hair braided. Although it was not visible, Mae felt like something was pressing her down in the ground. The simple explanation was guilt - had she insisted they go to the town last night, so much issues would have been avoided or if she had went with the carriage... No, the bandits wouldn't have her, for with her in the group they would be much more capable of defending. She refused to think differently, just like she refused to delve on things that made the more complex explanation.

The mage of silver kissed her hand, told her what a shame it was they had to meet again under such circumstances, greeted Kevlar with polite smile and quickly whipped the two large groups into shape. One was to keep a watch around the village, in case the kidnappers would come here and the other would be searching for them in surrounding woods. Eventually, they'd split in smaller groups, but main core was the one with Mae.

In sun priestess' hand, mage placed a crystal ball. "I will return to the tower and scry for your scout and his kidnappers from there. If I find anything, I shall contact you through this crystal and you can do the same," he explained, closing Mae's fingers over the orb and lingering there a bit too long, before retreating and entering the portal arch.

Before she left to ride off with the group, she sought out Kevlar, who might have been put to bed rest, to ask for any more details of the events and finally find out how he had recovered quite a lot. She didn't bother with veiled intentions and got straight to the point, her gaze not betraying the uneasiness she felt in truth.

Meanwhile, the kidnappers had dragged healer-Saith deep into woods, to their base camp. Since she - I mean he - was stuffed into a rough sack, they did not realize their folly until it was far too late and their 'prize' had been dumped unceremoniously by fire. All journey long they had gloated about how easy it had been to capture the high 'n mighty priestess after all, and what good ransom they would get her, but now they stared at the dark skinned man in disbelief, mouths agape, before erupting in arguing. Only one man, of the few that had been at the camp remained silent with frown, anxiously rubbing his upper arm as if it was hurting. Soon, the arguing turned towards taking life of this deceitful scum (who had been kicked and slapped, which did not ask for much courage as Saith was tied up).

Then the man who kept rubbing his arm wrapped up in strange vine like tattoo reaching under his shirt, spoke up, suggesting that they may still get some ransom or information from this man. It was met with more arguing and the bandits-turned-into-mob grew angrier, the rather quiet man having to stand between them and the dark elf.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 PM

Kevlar had a hard time prying his hands from the woman. No, not in a passionate, seductive way, but rather his hands were a frenzy in a possessive sort of drive. He refused to believe the woman was safe until every inch -- or nearly every inch -- of her body was searched. When she did pull away and give him scolding eyes, Kev pouted his lower lip. "C'mon now. Honestly, if I wanted to make a move on you like lover-boy Saith, I would have done so in your sleep. No need to," he said curly, "have your panties in a knot." Even despite that trained, well-mannered knight there was a roguish nature to Kev. Perhaps a small hole that shed some light into his past. Just who was he prior to being a knight?

As a wave of new faces appeared and orders were ushered out to the group, Kev found himself stationed besides Lacrimae without fail. No matter where she moved, he moved too. Well, expect for one time when she quite forcefully stated that she would not change into her armor with the man in the room. Again, with that defiant look in his eyes, he obeyed and impatiently waited for her to emerge from her room.

Okay, and then there was that other time where the healers wanted to do a final once-over. Honestly, Kev didn't know why they bothered. Even if he was chained to a bed, he would gnaw his arm off to be beside Mae. Of course, not in the romantic kind of way. Kev already felt horrible knowing that his pretend ailments led to Saith's capture. And yet, despite how it all turned out, Kev was also glad it happened as it had. He just couldn't imagine what the outcome would have been had Mae actually been grabbed.

Finally able to rejoin woman, he stepped beside her. Her eyes said it all. She needed answers but Kev had his own words he needed to speak.

"Not that I want to speak for our friend, but do you truly think this is the best use of our time? What of your stolen items? Or that mysterious woman with the scar or lace or whatever?" Kev stood proud and tall, though his voice quivered with anxiety. Inwardly, he wanted to find his friend. However, Kev also knew the gravity of the situation. A crazed woman was on the loose with a powerful weapon that could cause mass chaos and destruction. Was that not more important that, dare he think it, one drow's life?

Not wanting to utter another word, for fear he might offend the guilt-stricken woman, Kev followed the lovely elven blonde much like a well-trained dog. Her long stride was matched by his stride. Her stopping meant he pausing. Each flow of Mae was mimicked by Kev's reflection. They moved unlike anything else, which was almost scary, given the time and circumstance.

The silence around him was fleeting, though for she pried for more information. Finally, he caved. "I'm better now. No need to worry about me. I have a strong constitution and you and your healer friends did a great job. Besides, my ailments hardly last. At worst, I've been sick for 4-days. Please remember, my lady, I am of another world. And I hate to admit it, but the air I was born to is far fouler than this. Your air is pure; the air I grew up with was soiled. I can handle just about anything here."

Mounting, he looked to Mae. "Be on your toes," he began, "these were all men. Some human, some elven, some drow. Why, there were even a few half-breeds in there. Saith was the only one to spot them so they're clever with camouflage." Ruine's tail swished and the horse reared some. "If something doesn't feel right, speak up. We can't get bested again by another ambush."

Head turning toward Mae, he nodded. "Don't you worry about yourself. You keep those ears and eyes open for signs of Saith. I'll guard your back."

Last edited by Xavirne; 03-11-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 PM

His ride away from the group was hardly cozy. The men that carried him did so in a rather inappropriate manner. It would be only a matter of time before they grabbed something that women didn't have. Thankfully, luck was on his side and the men kept to rubbing his thighs and occasionally slapping his rear. Having experienced this ridicule, Saith swore he would never insult a woman like this again. It was just downright violating and awful. Not to mention, he would have nightmares for years to come. With a shudder, he tried to focus on where he was -- rather than what was happening.

With his eyes blinded, he was left to rely on his ears. If only the bag wasn't over his head. And his nose was useless; the scent of mold and mildew was all he smelled. Not wanting to deal with touch or taste, he sighed. It was useless. All he could do was endure. Oh, and figure out how he was going to talk his way out of death. He had cheated death many times before but this... well, it was different. First and foremost, he was impersonating a woman. Second, the morons that captured him bought into him being a woman. Third. No, he wouldn't go there.

Finally, the band stopped moved. It gave Saith a moment calm his mind and go over his plan. Er, well, it would have had he not be so rudely thrown against the ground. Gasping for air as the life was pushed out of him, he winced. This torture was what he expected and, truthfully, he was glad Mae didn't have to endure it.

"We got you now, woman. How much you think your little followers will pay to have you back?"

"Aye, aye! I reckon a hundred gold!"

"Nay! A thousand!"

Saith, out of pure amusement, muttered his own muffled opinion. "Mmmre mmke mmmuffins."

As the kidnappers cackled a laugh, they removed the bag while uttered words no lady should ever have to endure.

And then the words stopped when their eyes feasted upon a very coy, smug grin of a drow. A male drow.

"Awww, and here I thought you said I was the finest ass you had ever seen. Who would have thunk? Little ol' me could look so pretty in healer garments." His face took on rather devious features as he finally mocked back to his kidnappers. Of course, doing as such landed him with a lovely boot to the head. He was soon kissing dirt and forced to eat grass. It was hardly pretty but the power it gave him was the perfect fuel for his fire.

Uttered words of death and fire whispered all around him. Sure, it would be a great plan to bury their failed attempt, but Saith wouldn't let the thieving bandits off the hook that easily. Why, he would let them suffer. He would enjoy them. He would make them beg and keep him alive.

Then the bickering started and all hell broke loose. Seriously? Was this really how they handled themselves? The more Saith watched, the sooner he realized this wasn't related to the thieving woman. These fools just wanted money. Their clothes were torn and tattered. They wanted an easy life. Steal away a priestess to earn all the money. And live in infamy. Always a brilliant plan... not.

So much for torturing them and making them suffer. Saith just couldn't do that to these imbeciles. They were too wrapped up in their own flaws and faults in life that pulling the wool over their eyes hardly seemed fair. Instead, he hatched a better plan. And this time it would be a rather helpful one!

"When are you bandits going to stop acting like boys?" His voice was raised just enough so he could speak over their chatter. "Yes, I pity thee. You've clearly had a hard life. But honestly, if this is how you're going to behave, you'll never make a dime. Sure, you can ransom me... but I'm just a lowly drow. Maybe the priestess would buy me? Maybe she wouldn't."

As he now had their ears, he could finally unleash his brilliant plan. To put it simply, it was flawless.

"How about I give you a new mark. You see, the lovely lady you sought is after something. Oh and she would pay anything to get it back. They're powerful orbs and, in the wrong hands, could destroy all we love and know. The thief has been running from us, likely wanting to sell the stolen goods on the black market. Now, if we could just steal back the stolen items, we could -- don't object -- give them to the Sun Priestess."

He fell silent, eyes narrowing as he glared at the one in charge. "Give. Don't demand money. You want to live with a bad name? You want to be feared by all? Arrested? Put to death? No. You want to come across as heroes. You want a hero's wealth and hero's gold. To do that, you need to find the orbs and hand them to her. Forget this whole ransom and kidnapping thing. Become heroes of legend. Savers of the universe. Why, you might even have statues made of you!"

Sure enough the bandits were all ears. There eyes aglow with the thought of such a grand life. They seemed at peace with this decision, which made Saith wonder why they turned to kidnapping. The men seemed like good people. Perhaps just mislead by misfortune?

"Listen, I'm not saying this is going to be easy." He gnawed into the rope that bound his hands and broke free. Sitting with his back against the fire, he kindly shooed away the other that once defended him. "We've been hitting roadblocks to find this woman. Every time we think we're getting close, something happens. And this is where you can come in. I know you're all good men beneath your masks and grins. You never really wanted to hurt me or Mae for that matter. You just want money. And, from the looks of it, you want it for your families. Your kids and wives."

Dropping the ropes that once bound him to the ground, he rose. "Join me in my search for these orbs. Help us close the gap. We can use the advantage. She has no idea we've a band of fearless, cunning warriors on our side! With your help, we'll find those orbs. There will be celebrations for days!"
With each word he spoke, he grew more dramatic and passionate. He really needed them to buy into this idea of helping him. The extra help would be perfect. Ideal!

"Who says you're not going to steal it from us?" One of the scar-faced men asked.

A drow, who kept a wary eye on Saith, finally shifted. "What's your name." Dagger out and ready to lung at Saith's throat, he waited rather impatiently for an answer.

"Saith Fel'har Kimitore." Each word was articulated to perfection.

"I trust him." Drow rolled off his hood and swiftly stepped before the one they kidnapped. [COLOR="DarkOrchid)"]"There's a word whispered on the winds of a my land about a man of night with eyes of blue who used to shield the lost from the devil's creatures. Drow aren't born with eyes of blue unless born to an elven parent. Rarely does this happen. So the fact that this drow, of eyes of blue, is before us and clever enough to trick us. Why, I wager he's the drow from the stories."[/COLOR]

Baffled by what he heard, Saith slowly sunk to the ground and turned his ears down in a bashful manner. To hear of his childhood play before his ears was unexpected. Ever since birth he had hated those two, and at sixteen he left, swearing to never return. To hear about his past ripped a hole in his heart.

"Why did you save us so many years ago?"

The question was like a sharp sting. How could he talk about something that burned him. He hated them! They ruined his life! He was a monster, a mistake. Something all jeered and feared. No one wanted him. No one....

And yet... Mae let him in. Kev let him in....

Perhaps.... Perhaps he was wrong? Maybe being half and half wasn't -- NO! It was a nightmare. So many years of ceaseless teasing. So many years of being alone in those dreaded woods.

But still....

"Like you said, I'm half elven. He always spoke of nobility and light. He was terrified of the dark and the woods at night. She would protect him, guide him though the forest. Even though I hated who I was, I couldn't stomach the fact that young drow often died in the woods I called home. Whenever I heard the lost cries of drow -- or elves -- I would take to the shadows and become a guide. I would lead the lost from the creatures of the forest and back to safety."

With a sigh, he continued. "I hated those woods and I never wanted another to fall victim to them so I did what I had to." Eyes lost in his memories, silence washed over the group. It was so hard to think about those memories. About those two, the two that brought him into this world.

Where were they? What were they like?

Eyes slowly pulling up from the grass he gazed at, he met the eyes of his captors. He couldn't utter a word. Although he was able to jump out of his skin when the drow before him toughed his head.

"I say we trust him. He could have killed us if he wanted to and yet he let us live. He gave us a new choice, a new focus. Let's stop being fools and let's obtain a life we'd be proud to share with our families. Let's help Saith Fel'har Kimitore find these orbs and let's prevent chaos from destroying our world."

TwitchTumblrInstagram

Last edited by Xavirne; 03-11-2015 at 07:35 PM..

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM

With those words, he seemed to make something snap in the blonde."You are crossing too many lines, Kevlar Bael, and I will not permit that you address me in such manner. Your illness is no excuse," her tone had gained an edge her travelling companions had heard just once: during the argument on the cliff they all first met. If the man still didn't manage to keep his hands to himself, he'd feel immense heat wherever he'd try to touch her, enough to make him instinctively flinch away. If there was something that Mae couldn't tolerate then it was being disrespected.

Looking back at her childhood and even early adulthood, she had realized her life consisted nearly only of disrespect and disregard of her as a being with thoughts, feeling and wishes. And although she hadn't needed to work hard to earn her place as high priestess, she still had done so, to be a good leader and protector. Perhaps she was a little conceited, yes. But she also gave respect to everyone else, as long as they did not prove themselves to be utter scum for no reason other than ability to act as such. And she was no bar wench that she could accept this man spoke to her like this!

She wasn't going to respond to his bait about Saith which implied he had heard their morning conversation. Not much of surprise there, considering that they hadn't been as quiet as they should have been. It was embarrassing, really, and something she would much rather put behind her and forget. Perhaps now and then she would return to it in her thoughts and remind herself that, obviously, all things tender and sweet weren't meant for her. She was too sharp, had to be and even preferred it that way.

But right now, there was no time for it. As she went about, preparing for this rescue mission she felt she was cause of, something nagged in the back of elf's mind. The feeling became stronger and stronger, coming to bloom when the knight spoke. "The sooner we find him, the sooner we are back on track. Now that we have reached Mage, it should not take much longer to find the thief," Mae replied to his half-spoken questions. It seemed the conversation was over with that, but before Kevlar could mount, her hand landed on his arm and turned the man back towards her.

Her grip was tight and even painful, unless he was wearing his armor. Blue eyes seemed to have darkened to deeper shade, her stare seemingly seeing his mind and soul, instead of just his face. Priestess' expression remained neutral, not giving away whatever she thought she found in the human and finally she released him, moving to her own horse, without another word. Only at his encouraging comment she looked back at him with slight smile and nodded. Moments later, the group was already riding off to the place from which Saith had been taken from.

It didn't take them long to reach the spot and from there, she ordered groups to part ways, searching various directions, while her own went directly the way Saith was dragged off to. The forest was so thick there was no hopes of taking their horses with them, so few men remained with the animals and search parties continued on foot. Mae moved fast despite the terrain's obstacles, pulling ahead of her group. There was something intense about her, she indeed seemed to be putting everything onto her senses and tracking skills. And although she was far from expert hunter, she found signs of people walking through the area recently. The bandits had not done much to hide their tracks, actually.

If Kevlar managed to keep up with the elven woman, at one point she would suddenly stop and turn, backing him into one of the trees. "How and why did you trick me with your sickness?" she asked. Although Lacrimae didn't voice it, but it was apparent that a lot may depend on what Kevlar said next. And the priestess would find out the truth, one way or another. It was better if they did it now, before Kevlar got too involved into thief chase in case... In case he was in league with her. The way he had showed up right in time on cliff side, the way he delayed them now, it all could have been a coincidence or something more. Mae didn't want to think of the human as potential threat or traitor, his body language didn't seem to suggest it either, but whatever was the truth, the sooner she knew it, the better.

Meanwhile, the man that had stepped in, stopping the others from very possible finishing the drow off then and there, before he even got a chance to start his speech, moved aside and listened intently. His hand continued to restlessly move up and down his other arm, slight frown between his eyebrows as if he couldn't quite accept something. Still, he remained silent until the very end, when good deal of the bandits were starting to nod and murmur agreement to their dark skinned comrade.

"You say we can trust him, but can we trust this priestess? I - we all - know that those of power would much rather see us rotting away in darkness, as we are reminders of all their misdeeds, mistakes." There was a bitter, pained note in his voice, as if it was something deeply personal. "This man himself said that he is not sure if she would pay to save his - her loyal follower's - life!" When the crowd rumbled in agreement and anger once more stirred in them, the tattooed man held up his hand.

"But if Saith Fel'har Kimitore can swear that this priestess will once again put us in Sun's precious light, instead of taking all the recognition for herself and punishing us for our past crimes, I say - let us help him!" With that, he turned to look at their captive expectantly. If the answer soothed his and the other bandit's worries, they would cheer for the drow and their new-found alliance. It was true that this dirty, hard life was nothing that they desired or wanted to see their sons partake in. Even slightest chance to pull out of this wicked circle was a good one.

But the man was not yet done with Saith. It was as if this pain or itch pestering his arm was making him even more restless. "Tell me, Saith, what do you know of these orbs and their thief? What do they look like? Has anyone seen who took them?" he shot questions one after another, as if in rush.

If Saith's words did not calm the bandits, who knows what happened next. Maybe he would have to fight his way out of the group, maybe they would capture him again or worse. Either way, there was someone, nearby, who felt she'd benefit from this much more than Saith wrapping the unskilled kidnappers around his fingers.

It had been merely play of fate, just like their first meeting, that Marwolaeth had just returned from her secret hideout, using the runestone. The argument in bandit encampment had been so loud that she had heard it from a distance and, of course, decided to check out what all the hassle was about. Although she caught the very end of Saith's inspirational speech, but it was enough to get the gist of it. Torn between the urge to get rid of him now once and for all, right here, in way that no one would even realize she had been here and getting away, she probably hesitated a moment too long, giving enough time for one of the sharper sensed men catch hints of her presence.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM

He deserved it -- her angst and upset. He had crossed lines but, in all honesty, Kevlar wouldn't take it back. What he did was out of genuine concern for the woman and she read into it all wrong. Why, had she not been of noble upbringing, such actions would be seen as sweet and caring. But for her? Tch, Kev shook his head at it all. He was beginning to understand how Saith felt. Was Mae really only about her job, her dignity? The way she held her head and moved made him think so and that, above all else, bothered him.

Not uttering another word, he keep a tight jaw and rode to the spot. When they finally got to the area where they were raided, memories flickered across the forefront of his mind.

Saith was so smooth, quick, and cunning about it all. He knew the ambush was to come before it even happened. He knew to protect the weaker by cloaking the area in smoke. And he was even genius enough to pull off being kidnapped. No one from the healing party was injured to an extent where their lives were in limbo. A few bruises and cuts were all that marred their holy bodies.

Hand falling on his heart, Kevlar grimaced. It hurt to know that he failed his friend. Sure he protected the priestess but he wasn't her hire so their was no pay. He could leave on a dime and help whoever and in that moment, he should have jumped to the drow's aid.

As he mind cleared of visions, the brunette realized he was standing alone clutching his heart. Ruine whined ever so softly, reassuring his rider that the fault was not his to bare. Patting his trusty ride, Kev slid off and slowly moved toward the forest where Saith was dragged off too. Oh how it pained him to see upturned limbs and ripped grass. The signs of a struggle were small but the signs of abuse were large.

Finally beside Mae, he sighed heavily.

"I should have done something. Instead, I just watched as we were assaulted and as Saith was ripped away. I tried to move but the remnants of my ailments still choked me." His voice was daunting and full of misery. Even his eyes seemed to tremble with anguish. "I failed him and in doing so I failed you."

He couldn't hold it back anymore. It just came. No, they came.

Dropping to his knees, Kev's breathing staggered and tears rolled from his eyes. Fists pounding the ground, he cursed himself for his horrid timing and foolish antics. It was all his fault. Saith was gone because of him.

"It's all my fault,"
he rasped between sniffling and weeping. "I shouldn't have forced illness upon myself. I should have just kept out of your business but...." His sad teal eyes met those of the priestess. "I see the way he looks at you. I see how his touch is so tender and without malice, prejudice, or seduction. I saw how you two sat in the glow of the moonlight beside that fountain in the center of town. I watched from my bedroom window as you two hopelessly exchanged laughs and love."

The tears ceased to flow but his face was still bruised from his destroyed ego of valor. "I saw your happiness and I wanted to make it last. I've seen love die far too many times. Die because of time, pride, or position. I didn't want it to happen to you two. We both know that, once this journey ends, we'll never see each other again." Stopping to swallow a lump that formed from crying, he tried to smile. It was utterly pathetic how sad and torn he looked, but perhaps it was what made Kev so likable. After all, he was only human and he wore his heart on his sleeve.

"I figured, should I force illness upon myself, that it would allow you two to fall together. You would see past his dark charades and he would open up your heart. I know that such titles come with lonely positions. Sure, you can marry but is it ever really love? Rarely. You marry to unite lands or keep the peace. Whatever happened to marrying out of true love and happiness?"

Pushing off the grass, he rose and started to whisk away the stains of the earth. If she spoke or tried to stop him, he would simply ignore. Everything to him was invisible. He was but a ghost just moving through the phase. Now before her, he placed two heavy hands on her and looked her dead in the eyes.

"I know he loves you and I know you know it true. I just wanted you to get a taste for happiness, true happiness. To understand what it means to be free, to be yourself. I just wanted to give the two of you a chance to find something so much deeper." Giving her shoulders a small squeeze, he released his grip and returned to stand alone. Kevlar's face seemed to be lost in thought.

"I just wanted to give you two a chance. I know what it's like to be so close only..." he winced, as if in pain. "... only for it all to fall so far apart." Adverting his eyes, he gave his shoulder a rub before looking for tracks again.

It stung to say what came next, but it needed to be spoken. With clenched teeth he asked, "If you no longer find my services of use, please dismiss me now before I cause any more delay or harm to your person. Although I am not bound to you, I still wish to serve alongside you, should you deem my services still worthy of such accompaniment."

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM

"Perhaps I could clarify," Saith said with narrowing orbs and a haughty tone. Refusing to let the other speak without his input, Saith coyly remarked, "She would pay but I wouldn't allow her to cave to such demands. My life is hardly worth the gold she would forfeit. Why should you, men misguided by misfortune, receive riches beyond your wilds for kidnapping? Those who do misdeeds don't deserve the satisfaction of victory. I would rather slit my own throat and spill blood upon the earth that allow high priestess to bend to such heinous demands."

At this point, Saith didn't care if he had their loyalty. He was steadfast in his belief. If they were truly going to dangle him like a carrot before her eyes, he would justifiably take his own life. Saith knew all too well what bad people did with wealth and power. He knew what it meant to help those that walked down a fine line, and he refused to fall for that kind of ploy again.

Sure enough, arm-rubbing man seemed to take lightly to his comments. Was he their leader? No, hardly. They were a band of misfits without a leader. But they seemed to lean on and trust one another. With this man's comment of help now on their ears, the crew seemed to regain their righteousness. Perhaps these dogs could learn a new trick -- kindness and compassion.

Now onto the next question, Saith bashfully rolled his eyes away from the one who spoke to him. "Oh trust me, I've seen her. The orbs? Not so much? But her," he tugged forth a piece of parchment that he had drawn her face on. "She has a face you cannot forget. She'll smooth talk you into helping her and, before you know it, she's trying to kill you. Her only mistake was that I'm a drow so the woods and I are very in-tune with one another." Blue orbs locked on the grass around them, his ears perks up. "I hate to rush this along but it appears as if my comrades are looking for me. If we wish to turn you all into heroes of the land, we must make haste and begin our hunt."

Just then, another in the mix had his nose turn to the wind. "I agree. Someone's close. Let's get out of here and speak in the light of our village. It isn't much but it'll do. We just need to vanish before nightfall."

Brow piqued, Saith would have to inquire about this later. Now was not the time to speak. Bending to grab his stolen items, he gave its guarder a dull glare before wriggling his hand to receive the goods. Keeping his glare on the man a moment longer, he skipped in place behind the one who lead them deeper into the woods. Why, the path they took was so convoluted and long that Saith was beginning to lose his way. Just what village was this? And why was the scent of blood thick in the air?

Shudder running down his spine, he prayed he didn't just join a first-class trip to a shallow grave.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 PM

Few times, Mae moved to interrupt the stream of words that flowed from Kevlar, but since he shushed her or simply ignored these attempts, she backed down. And perhaps it was for the best, for it was very likely she would have said some things she would regret later. Still, the anger that rose in her did not fade away with time. Instead, it settled in pit of her stomach, elven woman's eyes darkening and gaining a dangerous gleam.

"I do not know what is more absurd - that you thought there are some kind of tender feelings blossoming between me and Saith or that you put aside your knight's integrity and endangered the whole mission to help us 'fall' for one another!" she spoke, in low tone that perhaps was more fearsome than if she had shouted a the man. Her hand rose and then clenched, as if she was about to strike the knight, but then she forced it down by her side, light trickling through cracks between her fingers. "If you know me, my loneliness so well, you should also have known there is nothing more that hurts me than lies and trickery!"

"You may be right that there is little to no chance of finding love in my life, but you, the man who claimed to have found maiden of his heart after seeing me for a minute, have little rights to lecture me about love and recognizing it. I also may not know what it is, but I doubt it comes on such a short notice. And Saith," Lacrimae drew a breath here, partially to regain her composure and also to hide how it stung to pour salt on the wound Kevlar had just ripped up with this conversation, "he clearly told me he would rather not see his dearest dream fulfilled than remain by my side."

At this point, she was not sure what injured her more - that Kevlar had tricked her or the reasons for it. She had been such a fool last night and this morning, nearly falling in Saith's cleverly put traps. She knew his reputation as a man who liked to fool around, had heard of it when she gathered rumors about him, there was no way he could be serious about something with her, a woman of race he despised. And although much had happened since that first night, in the end he still held to many same goals as at that time, so why would he change his mind about this?

But sun priestess was not entirely cruel woman and sight of miserable, tear streaked knight's face could move even tougher hearts. So, despite still being angry, she recalled her training and guided the conversation back to safer paths, before something was irreparably broken. Either between them or in one of them. "I know he is a good, albeit short-sighted man - traits you both have in common - so," she gave the knight a dainty handkerchief, "wipe your tears and let us find him. Together." She rested her hand lightly on his shoulder at the last word. "It is true we could have avoided all this, if not your foolish plan, but we all make mistakes."

If the knight agreed to this, the pair continued to track the reckless bandits. The rest of search party had caught up to them by now and gave few strange looks to the still sniffling human and their leader that had a glow about her, and not the warming, reassuring kind, as her anger slowly shifted into energy and left her body, leaving a hollow feeling in its wake. But by the time they reached the encampment, the bandits had already moved on. With touch of panic, although her movements were still controlled, Lacrimae searched the place.

"It appears he either escaped or they freed him," she commented, noting the way grass was trampled in various places and the binding ropes that laid abandoned on the ground. Soon, they found a new track to follow, but it was cut short once they came across a strange sight - a stone statue of a man, throwing knife pulled out as if he was about to throw it. The age of it was impossible to tell, but it had to have been here for a while, for a green vine had swallowed up its whole left arm and stretched over the place where humans would have heart.

From there on, it was as if the bandits had vanished in a thin air and here is how it came to happen.

The man's eyes widened at the sight of poster, but at that moment he said nothing. In fact, he retreated like stung and mingled in the crowd that quickly moved onward. It would take him good twenty minutes to battle something out within himself, before he approached Saith again. "While we walk, I must know - are you absolutely sure that woman is the thief? Because..." But he never had a chance to finish as at this moment, one of the half-elves leaped ahead into a tree and came tumbling down in a ball of struggling arms and legs.

It really had to be finger of fate that Marwolaeth had come here and had lingered just that moment too soon for her to be caught like this. For all her trinkets and magical items, she was still unable to disappear completely so that sharp senses of other races couldn't find her. But this was not the first fight she had gotten into either and moments later, the half-elf was kicked off with wave of magical energy and banged into a tree, knocked out.

The red haired woman stood up, the hood having fallen off her head and revealing the intricate pattern embedded in her skin. Green eyes shone with malice and she sneered. "Were not a smart enough to best me directly, so found some henchmen, dullblood? How much did it take, few bats of lashes, for priestess to have you reveal your traitorous nature when in fact you know nothing? Foolish man!" The bandits, not able to piece together right away that this was the woman they were supposed to hunt, stared at one and then another, before the tattooed man pulled out a knife, ready to throw it at the woman. Probably more to injure and weaken her than kill.

She pushed her hands out and... Well, there was nothing flashy about it, nothing that would scream magic happened, but where once had stood the man with tattoo now stood the statue Lacrimae's group would find later. The men stared in shock and although few went to attack her, the moment of confusion was enough for the blood-user to pull a very similar smoke trick as recently Saith had. Only since she had no one to protect, she simply vanished from the sight and escaped them with ease. Truth be told, had she not seen enough weird shit in her life, she'd have been stunned just like the bandits at what happened.

"Should we split up and search for her?" they asked one through another, some were touching the statue, others suggested that they go to their village that was very near and regroup there, but all were waiting for Saith's decision.

Priestess' party, too, was unsure what to do next at this statue, until the crystal rang softly in Lacrimae's pouch. She immediately proceeded to take it out. "I believe I found her," the mage proclaimed proudly. "Her? The thief? Are you not searching for Saith?" Mae asked with frown. "Dearest lady, my magic is strong enough to do more than one thing at a time," he replied with note of smugness and moments later they were tracking down their main 'prey'. The elf swore to Kevlar that they would proceed to search for Saith, but since it appeared he had managed to shift the position slightly in his favor, they couldn't risk her slip away.

Last edited by sadrain; 03-18-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:07 PM

As Mae made her comments, Kev kept to himself so much so that he declined the handkerchief. This woman had done enough to him for one day and the sting of tears still burned his face. He was a man, a knight! Crying was a thing for the weak and yet he broke all the rules. It was like a cold, hard burn, one that would forever leave a bitter taste in his mouth. This woman, this priestess, she was nothing more than an emotionless woman who cared for nothing other than her job.

When the others approached, Kevlar didn't hide what had perspired. He cared not if men judged the tear-stained cheeks of his. They would never understand. They would never know that feeling of defeat and abandonment. They would never understand the toil of telling a friend the sad, heartbreaking news of loneliness.

Off they went, but Kevlar stayed. Hands still balled into fists, he grimaced. "Saith, my friend, I fear you've picked a hard one. But I won't lose faith in you. I just pray that you're a stronger man than me. I would leave her side if it were not for you." Hand crossing over his heart, he prayed to the heavens--and not the ones that Mae so proudly represented.

Now alone in the thick of the forest, the sounds of life swallowed him whole. The birds sang high up in the trees, the frogs croaked beside his toes--why even the bugs seemed to buzz their gleeful little tune. All seemed well, as it should. A young doe beyond his bush watched the man, those black eyes absorbing all. With a scoff, he rubbed his neck. "I'm not of this kind of world. This is more Saith's thing. He's the man of the forest, after all."

As his words broke free, the doe leapt away. "Yeah, yeah. I get it, I get it. I was out of line." Teal eyes scanning everything--every branch, blade of grass, and berry--he sighed. "Bleh, I suppose you're right Miss Nature. I suppose I ought to apologize and meld the bond." Squinting one eye, he pointed a figure up at the sun. "But don't think this means I forgive you. You need to make right what you've done. Sun and moon must become one."

Realizing that keeping her alone was hardly ideal, given that there were bandits afoot, he raced forward into the woods. It should have been impossible to follow them, but thankfully one of the townsmen did a horrid job keeping nature as it was. Everything was upturned and looking horrific. With a good chuckle, he finally broke from behind the crowd and found his eyes feasted upon the statue. There was something... familiar about it. Something odd and hard to explain.

He wanted to touch it but knew better. Keeping his hands away, he watched as the search party started to part. Mae, of course, was left behind to gaze upon the weathered statue. Was this statue a sign of things to come? By the way she stared, Kevlar just had to take a leap of faith.

"You're wrong." He said in a cold tone, likely startling woman for he was silent with his approach. Not wasting a second, he lunged forward. Gripping her wrist, he tugged the woman into him. "Men only get kidnapped like that for three reasons. Money, it's their job, or love."

Wild teal orbs stared relentlessly into her calmer eyes. He didn't flinch. He didn't move. He just held his breathe and let the words sink in.

Releasing her, Kev turned his jaw away and glazed toward the distance. "You owe him nothing and he didn't have to join you. That only leaves on thing, priestess." As he spoke her title, a snake-like hiss split his lips. This was his way of 'forgiving her,' in a sense. He would drop the conversation as soon as he uttered this last remark.

"Think what you will, but I know the truth. I just hope you come to see it too before it's too late and he's dead. Or worse.... gone."

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Most everything played out too fast. Or, it should have. Instead, every breath and pause seemed to last lifetimes. When Marwo's taunting face flickered before his eyes, drow drew back a grimace. This wasn't good. With the world freezing around him, he caught every trip and tumble of the crew he now moved with.

Nothing boded well and this worried Saith. If they were to escape her clutched unscathed, they would need to retreat -- and fast! This woman was all tricks and magic, things Saith had little lecture in. Sure, he could cast his eyes upon her and follow her into the forest but taking her on and alone? Heh, that was to kiss death square on the lips. One near-death encounter was enough.

Side-stepping back, he growled at her comment. Dullblood. An insult he would have his vengeance upon within due time. For now, he let the scene unfold and her tongue crack its wicked, worthless lies. She was nothing more than a cobra, full of vile venom and a cold exterior. But, like all snakes, they were weak when caught in the perfect trap. Soon, one day, he would catch her much like a hawk hunts snakes. And he would swallow her whole. The pain she inflicted upon Mae was enough to soil his hands with her marred blood.

As the tattooed man became stone, Saith unsheathed a hidden blade from his calf. It was futile though for smoke soon flooded the area. Eyes glowing, he could see the racing hearts of those around him. Her heat signature seemed to be fleeting. No, fleeing.

She was outnumbered. Was that really all it took for her to leave?

No, something else must have been afoot. There was no way she would retreat -- she had the upper hand.

"No, pull back. Retreat." Saith dropped his weapon back into its hidden saddle and quickly stepped to help some of the others up to their feet. "To this village you speak of. We'll need to regroup and ensure she doesn't mark them for death."

Eyes fading back to their normal color, he graced the statue. "Was this your doing, woman?" Stroking it, his orbs narrowed. "Hmmmm...." Giving the hand of the frozen man a squeeze, he whispered, "I pray someone cast this upon you to postpone an untimely death." Head nodded in thanks for his valiant effort, he quick stepped to the front of the line.

"Let's go." Perhaps now would be the ideal time to ask about why nightfall was a threat. And so he asked and he learned. This group was far from evil. In fact, their story was moving enough to make Saith rethink about grouping with Mae and Kevlar as soon as possible....

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 PM

She decided she doesn't have time for this. Any of this. And especially a knight who acts as if she had broken his heart, not just rebuked idea their friend had a feelings for her after less than two weeks they knew one another. So, when he refused her handkerchief, she nodded stiffly and went ahead. If he wanted to be foolish, then it was all in his rights, but there were important matters at hand.

The truth that Saith had seemingly vanished off the face of earth was a rather crushing one, however. At this point, even if she wouldn't show it, she really would have appreciated assurance that he was still alive and well, and that they will find him in the same state. But it was far too much to ask of the human and the others were strangers to her, ones she definitely would not show such weakness to. Like a prick in her heart was the thought that the dark elf would say what she wanted to hear, had this happened to the knight.

Mae pushed this aside and allowed the statue draw her closer, like flame would entice a moth. There was a kind of raw, ancient magic lingering about the stone figure. Even more, it seemed to be embedded in the stone skin, seeping through the cracks and each vine that crawled up statue's arm and into its heart. It was familiar, somehow, yet she couldn't pinpoint where had she felt it before. Why would there be such a thing in middle of these woods and why was it just so magical? Somehow, she felt that this... this could be very well the answer to all questions she had about this journey.

Perhaps the thief had crossed paths with the bandits and Saith, had used the orbs and this statue was all that remained of the group? The thought struck her suddenly, making her shiver. Maybe the dust sitting on blades of grass was all that was left of the dark skinned male? No, she refused to believe such a thought. He was still alive, he had to be and soon, the thief would be caught and she would know the truth.

In this moment, Kevlar spoke. Although she had heard him approach, the woman had guessed that he was still too 'hurt' to talk with her, so she hadn't paid him much mind. His tone startled her and she whipped her head to him, suddenly feeling his grasp and the sharp tug. Her eyes narrowed, she sharply pulled her wrist free of his hold and took a step back, insisting on keeping some personal space between them. Somewhere in back of her mind was a thought that she wouldn't mind so sharply if it had been Saith, but perhaps it was untrue. Ever since her childhood, she took badly to being touched suddenly, especially if it was something even relatively forceful like this.

Still, her gaze remained calm as she waited for him to explain just how she was wrong. As he spoke, it was nearly visible how windows in her eyes were shut, rebuking his words. The more knight tried to insist on Saith's feelings for her, the more her logic resisted it. "I was not even there, so your reasoning falls short. His thoughtless trick gave me no safety and that is what I will tell him once we find him. And I would appreciate if you stopped trying to be a spokesperson for his feelings. If it is indeed as you say, he has never seemed to be the bashful type, so he will let me know himself. This," she gestured between them with soft sigh, "this is making everything... Complicated. And I would much rather focus on finding him and the thief than 'what ifs'. Whatever comes, can come only after he is with us again."

It was obvious she was not going to discuss this any further and as the knight had disturbed the connection she was feeling with the statue, there was no reason for them to linger here any longer. The group gathered together and quickly pushed deeper into the forest in the direction the mage had said the thief had went to.

Marwolaeth wasn't having a good day, really. Rather the opposite. Not only she had had that unfortunate bump into Blue Eyes and his gang, now there was another group hounding her. She hadn't seen them yet, but this woman had a thing about trusting her instincts and if she had a feeling she was being watched, yet couldn't sense anyone with blood in their veins other than the animals, it meant she was going to get the hell out of here. After all, she still had no idea what had happened to that thug. Someone turning into statue out of blue seemed alarming enough.

If she could reach the teleportation stone, it'd all be alright. She'd go 'home' and then take a different route to her destination. But she couldn't go there directly, first she had to lose whoever was watching her so she wouldn't have to move her precious travelling point to another location soon. Marwo weaved through the trees, mentally cursing at the twisted roots and branches that nearly seemed to grab at the hood of her cape. No, woods were not the place for her, although there were ways she, too, could use them to her advantage.

The birds were suddenly disturbed near to her left and flew away, making chaotic noises, and she could swear she heard pounding of hooves. Who would ride a horse through this thick forest? No matter, she had to get away. What she didn't know was that she was being chased right in the face of yet another group who was after her. Did I mention this really wasn't a good day for her?

The group was slowing down more and more the guards and gathered search party struggling to move through the forest and Mae was growing tired of it. She paused only enough to pick few fastest people and, of course, Kevlar and told the rest to spread some in smaller groups and head in same direction or at least head back to not get in their way, if they couldn't be useful here. It could be unusually harsh for the rather calm woman, but the day's events were gaining their toll on her and although Sun herself had great, but not unlimited patience, so what could be asked of a simple mortal?

So, the group that caught a glimpse of something moving through the threes consisted of no more than six people. With gesture, Lacrimae ordered the others to close in on the stranger, herself remaining at the front of group. The one they chased sped up, noticing the followers and suddenly, there were multiple hooded people running off in different directions. The four men and women that had remained with priestess and knight hurried after them even before Mae had chance to urge them to do so or to stay, yet there were even more shades and with sudden burst, balls of energy came into existence, smashing through the illusions that were still in sight.

Only one leaped away from it, betraying its true nature as the hood fell off, revealing blood red hair and fierce green eyes, half of face marked by black pattern. The image Saith had created was alike enough for Mae immediately recognize the thief. Pressed against a tree as Mae and knight approached, Marwolaeth sneered. "So, the shining priestess and her metal can finally have appeared. All this time you have wasted for naught, I nearly pity you. But that is what you get for taking dull-blood's words for granted."

"Surrender and no harm will come to you," Mae spoke, unaffected by the offensive comments. "Not in my today's plans, sunshine, but it will be entertaining to see you actually do something to me!" Marwolaeth laughed, although the amusement was marred by something dark. The elven priestess was up to no games, either, and extended her arms, just a moment too slow as the thief jumped out of the way from raining arrows of light. It was not that Mae intended to kill this woman, but there was little chance she could trap her uninjured.

Marwo pierced her lip with her sharp teeth, blood welling on it and thin, shimmering blood bubble-shield appeared around her as she laughed again, not even retreating right now. Her hand twisted, as if grasping something invisible and Mae, whose hands were sending waves of light, pressing on the bubble, winced, feeling something change within her and not for the best. Pain spread through her and her head started to swim, but the priestess did not let up. The knight would receive the same treatment, should he try to attack. "This is truly the best you can do? And here I wondered why did you accept the help of that miserable liar..." the human woman said in conversational tone.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 PM

"If," was all he said before falling silent. "We don't know anything about the bandits who took him. And now this magical statue?" He bit his lip. "I just hope Saith's more drow than elf at this point. No offense, but an elf wouldn't have the same odds as a drow. I've seen situations like this. The good guy never finishes. Perhaps Saith's darker kin will keep him alive so we can see him again." Tipping his nose to her, he scoffed. "And so he can, as you so kindly put it, tell you himself that my ceaseless rattling wasn't for naught." A slow blink followed before he turned on his toe and began to move after the group.

He stopped once to make sure Mae was still there and, without order, he silently stepped behind her. "Please stay in front. I haven't eyes in the back of my head and your lack of conversation makes it impossible to know if you, too, have been kidnapped." Like the Kevlar she meet moons ago, his behavior fell back into sync with his role.

Eventually, they were with the group and Kev took this chance to whistle for his horse. Sure the thicket and forest would make it hard, but that creature had been through worse. A few trees and burrs were hardly the terrors of war.

"Did the mage share any knowledge of our thief? We'll want to make sure she doesn't have the upper-hand," Kev said while stepping around to part a bush. It probably looked odd, but when the muzzle of a horse appeared, it all made sense. Gently stroking the space between Ruine's ears, he looked back at the group. "I didn't want you all jumping when my companion arrived." Leading horse into the clearing, Kev gave the animal a good pat down. "Who's the greatest?" he cooed lightly to the creature.

Not wanting to miss the answer to his question, Kev shifted his attention from Ruine to Mae. "Anything, even the faintest of detail, would be beneficial. I know Saith had a run in with her, but do you real him telling us anything of worth?"

Unfortunately, by the time they could have exchanged information, something rustled in the bushes around them. Ruine's ears instantly pressed to its head, signaling to Kev that this wasn't going to be a fun fight. "Stay close," he commanded to Mae. "We know all to well what lies ahead."

Sure enough, Marwo showed her face. Well, not intentionally, or so he presumed. Either way, her face was there and it matched what he recalled from Saith's image. Teeth grit, he instantly unsheathed his sword and readied for whatever came next.

To his surprise, Mae made the first move. Almost at a disadvantage, the human knight could only offer defensive assistance for he was no match when it came to magic. Saith would have been a huge help, had he actually been here. A part of Kev was praying he would show up, but that wasn't going to happen. He was a prisoner somewhere. Though... the idea of a hooded man in a tree, rescuing the priestess....

Something held him back. A pain. A sharp pain in his gut. It felt like he had been stabbed, but inked woman hadn't launched an attack at him. Or had she? Tch, what use was armor if her magic could go beneath it?!

Shaking off the pain, he grunted before rolling away. Could the thief keep her spells on two forces? Well, now was the time to try.

Three loud pitched whistles were all Ruine needed to gallop away. With his horse fleeing, Kev lunged forward to dip his spear into Marwo's personal space. Grin on face, he cheekily asked, "Let's see the extend of your power. Just one, two, or... THREE!"

Tucking chin, he rolled into a ball, spear up and ready as Ruine's hooves came crashing down behind the woman. He knew not what would happen, but Kev always trusted his horse. If danger were truly to befall him, Ruine would get his rider out of there in a pinch. Until then, horse would fight tooth and nail, much like the stubborn priestess and honored knight.

Last edited by Xavirne; 05-27-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:14 PM

After fleeing, the crew finally found the wood's edge. There, in a vast opening, were walls of wood constructed around what looked like a humble, weathered village. Hands waved and women and children soon poured out from within. Everyone seemed pleased, almost overjoyed that their hunters had returned.

Ears drooping in shame, Saith rubbed his arms while the families reunited with one another. And to think, he was going to murder these men. Perhaps he should be less hasty in deciding one's fate, he thought to himself.

Finally, someone pointed a finger at the black man, a kid to be exact.

"Mummy, who's dis?" His large brown eyes melted Saith's heart. Slowly bending down, the large male ruffled the wee lad's mess of tan hair. A giggle erupted from the kid's lips and, before Saith could move, a mob of little toes and faces were tugging at every inch of him. One even managed to gnaw at his arm (it was a good thing she was downright adorable!).

Overjoyed at the love he received, Saith laughed as the kids continued to tickle the strange man (he really didn't see how he was so foreign for there were other drows... though they had red eyes). They yanked on his long, slender ears. They played with his silver-white hair. Why, they even tugged at his lips to see if he had fangs! Another little one (maybe four) decided it would be a good idea to stick her finger up his nose. Wincing at the pain that shot up his nasal cavity, he eventually overcame the children and rose back to his towering height. All their heads seemed to roll up as they gawked at his lengthy form. They even dropped their jaws in awe for he was truly a sight to feast eyes upon.

"Mama,"
one of the girls in red began, "is he the spirit?"

Saith's eyes immediately shot over toward the mother of the child. Quirking a brow, he waited for her response.

"Mayhaps, darling." Stepping closer, she brushed his loose hair back in place. "The spirit is the guardian of our city. He's tall, kind, and wise beyond his years. Legend speaks of him besting the monsters that cripple out village at night."

While she spoke, her auburn eyes remained locked on his. It was almost as if she were asking the stranger to stay and guard their city. And then, her face took a turn for the worse. It grew ugly as a frown streaked across it and a bitter tone came to her lips. "But they are just legends...." Her voice trailed off and she let out a sigh. "No one's going to save us," she chided with defeat. Crossing her arms under her breasts, she muttered something else and wandered back into the village. Everyone seemed to follow suit, leaving Saith in the open with one little boy still holding his hand.

"She's wrong." His chubby cheeked face turned up to meet his blue orbs. "He's not a legend. He's real. I've had visions of him saving our village." Standing on his tiptoes, he gestured for Saith's ear. "And I know he's you. Your secret," he pulled back and flashed a smile, "is safe with me."

His brows eased and a light smile came over his face. "I'll do my best," he said while reaching out his pinky. He saw it done many time among kids and thought it appropriate. Sure enough, the cheeky child went into a screaming fit of joy and raced back into the village, with Saith still in tow!

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 PM

"I believe in Saith, as a person, not member of specific race, to be smart enough to survive, even if he wasn't enough to avoid getting in this situation. And the sooner we get the thief caught and get back on searching him, the more we heighten his odds, so, no more idle chatter, please." Yes, she definitely wasn't in her best mood and until his inquiry about the thief, her only other words were "if you think you wouldn't hear if someone tried to harm me, you truly do not know me very well."

And, sadly, there was not much she could share about the thief either, other than she had poisoned Saith somehow, and escaped from Mae's grasp using some hiding technique. Moments later, they were engaging the said blood-red haired woman who mocked and teased them, although most of the words slipped over and away from the elven priestess, leaving not even tiniest dent in her mental armor. But some... Some did strike home. Yet, she didn't lose her cool, not even from the physical pain plaguing her body now.

Besides, she was not alone. No, the knight fought bravely, even turning the tide of the fight by involving Ruine, for sure enough, Marwolaeth had to jump to the side in rather drastic manner, loosening her grip on the two opponents and the pain, although not fading away, did not grow in intensity anymore. The bubble blinked for a moment, before being reinforced and a spear of sorts, from blood-like matter reached to strike at the horse and its rider, most likely to try and strike the knight hard enough for him to fall out of the saddle. If the spear reached its destination, it hit with incredible force, separating from the bubble as the masked woman had to flee in another direction due to Mae's relentless attacks.

"Oh, so brave of you!" Marwolaeth mocked them, shooting another similar spear at the priestess, which she barely dodged, with the pain in her body worsening again. Marwo had decided she would deal with the priestess first and then make the woman watch how she tore the knight apart, perhaps very literally. But it never got to that point, because there was a sudden breeze through the trees, bowing their tips, as if the suddenly loud pounding of hooves had been brought by the breeze itself and it was matter of seconds before ten horsemen had the three battlers surrounded. All dressed in distinctly different armors, but with such a strange feel about them that the both magic users immediately sensed.

"You have been summoned by the Master of this land for continuously disturbing the peace of the forest," one of them spoke, pitch black eyes boring into Mae, then Kevlar and finally Marwolaeth. "These people are hunting me as if I were some wild animal, please, help me!" the thief immediately jumped on the chance to shift the situation in the favor, but before elf woman had a chance to process, the knight rose his hand: "Enough!" Moments later, darkness fell over the knight, his priestess and their enemy, like thick blanket, suffocating their consciousness.

It was cold. That was the first thing she realized, through layers of drowsiness. Cold and hard. Slowly untangling from the blackness that had taken over her, Mae realized she was sleeping on stone floor. She had no idea how much time had passed, but she was in pain, and not just from the uncomfortable resting place. It was also pitch black in wherever she was and with soft groan, the woman sat up and lit a small light. Immediately, her eyes fell on the woman, curled up on the other side of what appeared to be cave. In sleep, she appeared so much more... less threatening and cruel, but in next moment, green eyes opened and the fierce light that somehow reminded Mae of something was back. Marwo hissed and sat up, obviously ready to defend.

But for now, priestess was more interested in checking on Kevlar who was also in the same cave, and exploring their new surroundings. It was obvious that the thief was not the one who had gotten them in here anyway. Quick inspection revealed that they were indeed sealed in a cave, although the exit was shut by actual heavy doors that even had a small window it, behind which similar darkness resided. "What enemies have you made with your stealing?" Mae asked snappily and the other woman rolled her eyes. "Don't ask me, never seen any of those crazy blood clots or their 'master of the land'."

Mae nodded at that slightly, she also had not know this land belonged to anyone in particular. "Not going to use your divine magic and blast through that door?" the thief mocked. "I cannot, it is fortified by strange magic," Lacrimae replied bitterly, sitting down again and pulling her knees to her chest, wrapping arms around them, to keep some warmth at least. The small lights she could procure and hold in this strange space were already hard to maintain and didn't give as much warmth as they needed.

"Ah, so you DO know something!" Marwo snarked, slightly shivering, but refusing to acknowledge it, "just not that I did not steal that bloody orb or whatever." At this, priestess head snapped up again, eyes narrowed. "Why should I believe you? I know it was you in the temple treasury room."

"Ugh, I didn't say I didn't want to steal it, but someone beat me to it. If I had it, I wouldn't be here, for so many reasons," Marwolaeth admitted in clearly annoyed tone. If Kevlar was still passed out, Mae would do her best to keep him at least somewhat warm and also, as much as she could, checked for any injuries the man could have as she processed the information.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM

One minute he remembered defending priestess and the next he was... laying in a cold, dark cave? Blinking, he grabbed his ribs. Why did they hurt so much? Moving his hand away, as if to check for blood, he winced again. His neck was sore, as was his back. As pain flooded him, his memory flashed visions of what transpired. Marwo fired a spear at him, causing him to fall backwards into a rock. He also saw one flying toward Mae, so he moved to knock it off course and, in doing so, took a third one to the chest.

Teeth grit, he paid not attention to the chatting women at his side. Instead, he peeling off his armor to inspect damage. One of the major perks of wearing tough yet flexible armor was not having to deal with punctures. Sure, the suit was dinked up from the spears, but it was nothing that would kill him. He could hammer it out and it would look good as new.

Sitting in his chainmail shirt (he wore it atop a cotton white sleeve-less shirt and below the suit of armor), he slid that off and then his white shirt. He needed to actually see where he was hit.

Now topless, the raven used his reflective suit of armor to thoroughly inspect his bruising. Sure enough, right on the lower three ribs on the right, there was a large, red bump that was slowly fading from red to yellowish-purple. It would without a doubt become a nasty bruise. Thankfully, he lost no blood, so that was a win in his book.

That was when he caught a glimpse of a face he couldn't forget. In a second, he was kicking up his spear and pointing it at Marwo. Only, the second he saw Mae's calm face, he retreated his weapon and winced before dropping it beside him.

"Sooooo,"
he rolled his eyes away from Marwo, "can we talk about the elephant in the room?" His eyes quickly flicked toward Marwo before falling back on Mae. "What's she doing here?" As soon as that word fell off his tongue, his brows furrowed. "Or better yet, where is here?"

Looking all around, the knight couldn't recognize his location? "How did we get in a cave?" Turning his cold gaze on Marwo, he squinted. "Was this your doing."

Of course it wasn't. If it was, she certainly wouldn't be there with them. And, if she was, she would be better prepared.

"Anyway," he jeered at Marwo, "are you okay?" Now kneeling beside Mae, he inspected elf for injury. Nothing really jumped out but mental well-being wasn't off the table yet. "How do you fair?" Placing the backside of his palm against her forehead, he checked her temperature. Everything seemed to be in check but he still waited to hear her prognosis.

If she spoke, he would move back to his attire and redress himself. If she didn't talk, he would still re-don himself with his armor top, all while glancing nervously at Marwo.

Dressed and ready to go (still sore though!), Kevlar rose and placed hands on his hips. "Any ideas on how to get out of here?" Nonchalantly, he spoke aloud. "I assume we've tried magic so that means we need to look for the hard way out." Drawing a hand to his chin, he pondered a second longer. "Well, as one of those non magical folk, I wager we're going to need to go down this way but keep our eyes peeled for traps." His nose was to the air. "Yeah, it smells fresh that way. Likely means an opening--small or large--I can move quite a bit of weight before fatiguing."

Hands back on his hip, he turned around to give Mae a firm head nod. "Ready whenever you are."

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 06-10-2015, 09:58 PM

Mae coughed softly when Kevlar began undressing, but the man paid no attention to her, obviously more preoccupied to inspect damage done to his armor. He didn't look all too good, she noted with healer's eyes, but she would have to address that after they got out of here, because healing him would be too much effort in these magic-suffocating surroundings. Inwardly, she tensed, ready for the moment when the knight would notice the third person.

Sure enough, he did and got ready to fight in a second's notice. "Bring it on, can man," Marwo stood up immediately, her pose haughty and chin jutted out, eyes glinting nearly unnaturally in the faint light. "I will gladly finish what we started."

"Stop it, both of you!" Mae jumped up as well, ready to get between the two hot heads magically or physically, if needed."Pull your golden head out of the clouds of pride: you're not the boss of me!" the other woman spat in poisonous tone. The elven priestess didn't let the words reach anywhere near their goal, though. "No, but I am obviously the voice of reason here. We have better chance of getting out of here working together, not weakened by fighting."

Not wanting to admit that Lacrimae was right, Marwo decided to at least throw a jab at the knight before retreating. "Anyway, your can man is apparently as dim as the light here. Of course I am not here with you two short-sighted bad-bloods by my choice." Propping hands on her hips, she began inspecting the area while Mae assured Kevlar that she was alright and she was more worried for his state of health, questioned if he thought something could be broken or badly bruised inside?

When the man began making escape plans, she listened in, though, but unfortunately (?), none of them got further than the planning stage as suddenly, the darkness was swept away with light entering the cave as the doors opened, revealing corridor lit with strange, green-flamed torches. In the doorway stood one of the knights from before. Marwolaeth didn't waste time, lunging at their captor, but she flew through him and next moment, was pressed up against wall, held still by two more knights that had simply blinked into existence and were very much real.

"Follow me. Lord wishes to speak with you now. There is no need to complicate the situation by attacking any of us," the knight told. "Why are we here? I and my knight have done no crime," Mae spoke and the pitch-black eyed man looked at her nearly nonchalantly. "If that is the truth, then you shall see no harm done to you. Now, please, come." Having no other choice, the priestess did so and looked at Kevlar encouraging to do the same. Marwolaeth had to be led, though, because she didn't seem very willing to cooperate if her hands were to be freed.

After short walk through the stone corridor - more like continuation of the cave they had been imprisoned in -, the group came out into large stone cavern. It was magnificent, with high ceiling and rather smooth walls, that shone in many colors as if the stone itself could create and reflect rainbows. There were many other caves leading away from it and at one of the walls, there was a stone throne, although it was rather simple looking. There was no other furniture other than tens of floating crystal balls, shining in all possible colors and many a mix of them. Perhaps these were what gave the rainbow gleam to the walls, and they certainly were one of the light sources in the cavern, aside from more of the magical torches.

Along the walls, stood 7 more knights, but the strangest person and possibly sight in the whole room was sitting in the throne. His eyes, color of gold, stood out starkly in his deathly pale face. Well, what of it was deathly pale, at least. There were dark, nasty bruises on his face and what seemed like burn marks at the start of hairline and some on his neck, running down onto his chest which was partially revealed by slightly unbuttoned black ruffled shirt. But the most horrid was his mouth - with cuts deep in his cheeks, it was prolonged into a ghoulish smile. If it was not enough, then both these gashes and his actual lips were sewn shut. Not enough to leave it completely unmoving and shut like a stitched wound, but enough to make this state starkly visible and never let the man speak.

Mae did her best not to stare, for it was not only rude, but could irritate this strange person, whoever this was. But she knew, felt, that this was someone with immense power and to have him angry at them could be the last mistake they ever made. "Welcome to my humble abode. My name is Thorne Marlow and I apologize for the unpleasant room, but we simply have not had chance to make our home much more comfortable for guests." This voice, smooth and cool, did not come from his mouth, of course, but resounded in the minds of the mismatched trio now standing in front of the throne.

"You could have simply not kidnapped us and saved a lot of time of empty pleasantries," Marwolaeth spoke up. "Ah, Heir of the Blood, I doubt you would have accepted even the most kind invitation to my estate. Any more protests you can express when it is your turn to speak. Now, please, priestess of Light, I feel the questions burning your tongue, speak."

"Lord Marlow, I and my companions do not know why you have taken us, against our will as this woman noted, but we have done no crime. I, my knight and a search party were merely tracking down this thief..." At this, she was interrupted by said thief. "Except I didn't steal anything and they're just acc-" But she, too, did not get any further when suddenly, her voice disappeared, and a crystal with swirling blood red colors appeared in the man's hand. "As I said, Heir of Blood, you will speak when your turn comes."

Marwolaeth shuddered at the sense of emptiness within her, beyond even her throat and mouth that couldn't produce a single sound anymore. That he knew that title did not help any, either, but this was clear proof she was unable to fight him. Her magic was still suffocated and the little she could reach out... Well, this man was definitely alive, but his blood was so thick with magic and something else, she probably wouldn't be able to do a thing to him. And the knights? They simply didn't exist on her 'blood radar'. Just another proof they were merely ghosts, spirits, whatever. Undead for sure.

Mae, too, felt that there was something utterly wrong with the knights, but she was more focused on the man before her. "As I was saying, I do not know what crime we have committed in your eyes, we were merely trying to retrieve a precious item."

"Ah, that you was your first purpose, but in that moment, you were looking for someone else, not her. Do not fret, Tear of Sun, he is safe and well on his way to find his destiny. Still, all of you were causing great havoc throughout the woods and if I decide to claim this place as my home, I am responsible to preserve its peace. Hence my unorthodox summon to find the truth." At this, Marwolaeth grimaced and rolled her eyes (not for the first time). Just because she couldn't do a bloody thing, didn't mean she was going to sit with apologetic expression!

"As for the question in your mind, the Heir speaks the truth. She does not have the item, never did. Another carries it towards the very heart of ancient magic. The goal might be noble, but a great disaster may strike if it is fulfilled." He spoke cryptically, toying with the crystal that contained Marwo's voice. "Can we hope you will help us stop the thief and regain the orbs?" Lacrimae asked, still trying to comprehend all the new information pouring over her.

"No. This task is not for me to fulfill or fail and it is far beyond the borders of lands that concern me. But I can point you in the right direction to head to, once your group is completed. Now, if you, knight of many names, have nothing more to add, I would like to ask you all join me for a meal. Do not worry, your dear Ruine is safe and comfortable."

After the conversation with Kevlar, the Lord stood up and they were led in another cavern with lavishly filled table. He sat down at the one end, like house's lord should, but did not touch any of it. Few times, he touched a cup of water to his lips and each time, a drop of blood dripped down his chin, same as when his mouth's corners curved upward when he 'gave back' Marwolaeth her voice and reminded that there is no need to disrespect the food by voicing all the curse words she is thinking as he is clearly hearing them already. The woman complained that he had not given her a turn to speak as promised and his answer was that the questions she has he will answer only when the Priestess returns to strike a deal with him. Snorting, Marwolaeth rolled her eyes. And why would she be with him, she had asked and to that, his only response was that it was for her to discover.

During the meal, he also offered to transport the trio back to the Mage's tower or any other their desired location, as an apology for the inconvenience.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:16 PM

"You have answered my only question," he said while sweeping into a bow. "But I thank you for the opportunity to speak." He was very matter-of-fact when he spoke, but his voice was humble as always. Unlike the other two who could sense magic, Kev felt like nothing was out of place. Sure, the hairs on the back of his neck stood, but that was become this man's face brought war horrors back to light. In all his years of fighting and being a knight, only one story could really drive him into submission and it was the one about the man who burned his cheeks to escape imprisonment.

Shudder rolling down his spine, Kevlar tried to shake away the visions of that dreaded night, but found it impossible....

"Capture all, the king wants them alive for a public funeral!" shouted one of the knights on horseback. Kevlar, beside him on his mare Ruine, nodded and barked out the same command to the troops under his reign. "Do as told, soldiers!"

The rain was coming down hard in ceaseless waves. Each pelt against the face was colder and harsher than the last, ultimately turning into sleet. With the terrain becoming slick from the weather, the mounted knights (the leaders of the group), were forced from their horses and onto their toes. Although the horses could make the trek, the idea of getting their legs twisted by poor terrain seemed unfair.

"We'll find them on foot," one of the other knights shouted, making sure all the mounted men were aware of the situation. "Although Mother Nature is against us, we shall prevail!"

Down one set of rocks and over a creek that would soon freeze over, the army marched. They were to raze the city before them and drag all those marked with the devil's star to the castle for a public hanging.

Kevlar, freshly assigned to this monarchy, was uneasy about religious prosecutions but know that if he ever wanted to serve a priestess or holy goddess, he would have no choice but to work for lessor lords of the gods.

Just a few hundred feet outside the village, the sound of pain broke into the windy air. Screams engulfed them and soon, so did arrows.

Knocking down a follow soldier, Kev bit his lip as he took an arrow to the left leg (this explains his limp if he's forced to walk for long periods of time!). Due to a poor budget, the knights and soldiers were without leg armor so the wound did as much damage as it could.

Seething, the raven scowled down at the man he just saved. "Keep your eyes forward, soldier. We've a mission here and I can't keep saving your ass. Now get up and do your job!"

He practically jerked the kid from the muddy earth, shoving him right into the line of fire. At this point, Kev's face became nothing but an indifferent grimace. As the body fell before him, he rolled his eyes before snorting.

"Why sign up to be a soldier if you're going to be blind to the toils and strategies of war." Stepping over the bleeding out corpse of the man he literally just saved, he ripped a spear from the ground.

"WE FIGHT," he began to shout as he noticed morale was low, "FOR DALMACIA!" And with that, he charged, head-on, into battle.

Most soldiers and knights fell but Kevlar? He was different. He had the speed he needed to dodge the arrows, and he had the strength to dish out the one-hit-kill blows. Swinging his spear height, he lunged it forward into the men manning the catapults.

"FORWARD!" he commanded.

As the war waged on, the weather started to become lighter. Snow fell and soon the sun began to rose. For the most part, the village was dying. They had not the resources to fight soldiers with bows, swords, spears, and knives. Out gunned and out numbered, the picking for a public hanging became slim.

Slowly, one by one, they gathered about seven men and two women. That was when Kevlar spied another, fleeing for his life. "Kill him if we can't capture him," he spoke without a care in the world. Clearly, the hardships of war had hardened him, making death seem... well, natural.

Kev recalled vividly that the soldiers caught the man. But he also recalled the horrific scent of burning flesh. The man had someone craved open his face but putting knife in mouth. But he did not stop there. He also managed to take a torch and douse his body with oil. Shoving the fire into his throat, the man, refusing to die via hanging, burned to death. His body seized and sizzled, the first sight of war that actually caused Kevlar to lose his stomach.

Wincing, as the toils of war became real, he shuddered. Thankfully, the crewed seem to be going to better places, happier places. Places that ought to tuck such memories back under the rug Kev swept them.

The food, delicious and just what he needed, did the trick. As for the destination they were to go next? Well, the knight had little idea.

"I would argue we seek out Saith but, if he's making his destiny, then I suppose we can leave him be for now. Besides, he knows our destination. Perhaps we should pay visit to this mage you spoke of. He might bring us a step closer to finding the thief." His turned toward Marwo. "And I don't suppose you can be of more use to us?" His brow cocked as he then smirked at the woman. "You know, since you're clearly not as good as you claim to be. What's it like, to be beaten by someone far superior than you?"

Honestly, Kev wasn't mocking her to piss anyone off. He was just looking for answers. And Mawro? Well, she seemed like the kind of woman to spill the beans when her pride was put on the line.

TwitchTumblrInstagram

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 07-01-2015, 12:47 PM

"Of course we will seek out Saith, I do not wish to pursue the actual thief and leave him behind, unaware of the recent developments, Lacrimae frowned over her goblet of wine at the knight. They had already reached the mage, so their next destination was yet undecided and although so far their group had not been the most efficient and the situation was rather strained, she was not going to leave one of her people behind. Lady Sun only knew what was meant with Saith finding his destiny, anyway. Could as well be his death. Truth be told, she did not entirely trust this Marlow Thorne and all he had said. He could as well be working in same league as this blood red haired woman, ready to mislead and deceive them. Although nothing seemed to indicate so...

"Psht, I was not beat as a thief, that thing merely arrived before me!" Marwolaeth indignantly replied, seemingly taking Kevlar's bait, line, hook and sinker. "Had it been me leaving with the precious trinket, you'd never hear of it or me again. And, let's be honest, it'd be better that way. No impending magical doom or anything of the sort. Besides, I am not leaving you lot," she gestured at the priestess and her knight in haughty manner, "until you take that pesky bounty off my head. Surely, you wouldn't want to be still seeking the wrong person so publicly as yet another proof of your failure and there is no other crime you can prove to me."

Their host said nothing, simply observing his guests the way they felt left naked and bare to their soul, each coping with this feeling in their own way. Marwo's reaction was aggressive and unable to vent it out on its reason of origin, she turned it to the 'thing' that had gotten her in this mess, Mae retreated behind her walls and role of high priestess, mind set only on duty. "I am still not convinced you are not involved, so, the bounty will not be taken off until the orb is returned in its rightly place," she told Marwolaeth. "Oh? Not trusting the word of our gracious, mind reading host? How rude, sunshine! How about a deal then, I lend you my tracking services and I get to see you catch that horned rat and publicly apologize to me for your huge mistake?" There was a nearly malicious gleam in the woman's eyes.

The air seemed to thicken between both women as they stared at each other across the table. "I will do no such thing and I doubt your services could be of that much value, priestess rebuked, head held high. "Oh, except you have no idea where the orb's now, but I know it is already in the Ancient Woods. See how much time you have wasted, chasing me." Lacrimae considered this for a moment. It was very likely, as many powerful magical places were hidden among the trees older than some nations. Therefor, the Ancient Woods were hardly explored and greatly dangerous, the energies there twisting and warping most things.

"If that is true, then I will consider hiring you, but you will get nothing more than soothing your bruised pride with seeing the actual thief captured." Marwolaeth grimaced: "Well, that is hardly enough incentive." But, of course, Mae was not so easily swayed. "It will have to do."

The mage, wizard, whatever he may be slightly smiled then, as the silence fell over the table once more and his guests finished their good meal. He led them back in the main 'room', where all their belongings awaited them, even Ruine, who seemed to have indeed well taken care of, but most likely very glad to see her rider. "Now that you all have made your arrangements, it is time for you to return," Thorne told them. In each guests' mind, his voice spoke something meant only for them their ears, as he swayed his hand and a portal arch opened before them. "You will soon know the answer to your questions about what lay in the hearts of others, and when you do, you will know your own wishes as well," Lacrimae was told, making the elven woman stiffen and nod slightly, although she didn't truly accept these words yet.

"Past always defines the future, but not with its events. What you do with past and your own experiences is the path maker and perhaps this is the lesson you are meant to teach," his words to Kevlar were as cryptic as always and perhaps what he very well knew already. "Heir of Blood, you claim to never deny yourself anything. Perhaps it is time to stop denying yourself what you desire the most," the words inaudible to anyone else made Marwolaeth huff and her response to that, as only thought, perhaps better remain unwritten for sake of reader's eyes.

The portal led them right to Mage of Silver's tower courtyard, where the owner of the estate had already appeared himself, obviously distraught. "My lady! What happened? I was so worried!" he exclaimed, offering hand to steady the priestess as the travel through portals were always dizzying. For some reason, Mae felt affected by it even more than usually, but brushed away mage's hand gently. In next moment, Marwolaeth followed, causing the elven spellcaster to concluding that the group had caught the thief.

"Unfortunately, it seems to be more complicated than than," Lacrimae said, waving off the guards that closed in on Marwolaeth immediately. After Kevlar arrived with Ruine, the portal closed, and the next two hours were spent in a room with large, magical map and many other special trinkets, explaining the situation. It turned out that the mage had indeed felt that the magic 'signature' of the orb and the supposed thief were not in the same place, but had guessed she had perhaps sold it or stashed away, hence the focus on the thief finding. He also expressed his worries for the strange man that had returned them to his tower which was so strongly fortified by some of the strongest magic available to casting right now. Yet, this Thorne had split it open with ease and then shut, not leaving a single mark that could help to recognize or trace him.

Neither the mage or Lacrimae seemed to truly believe Marwolaeth's story of never even having touched the orb, especially since the goblet stolen from the vault was with her, but when she shared her little 'glass trick' which showed a fogged figure moving between huge trees, it only solidified that, as markings indicated, the orb really was being taken into Ancient Woods. Lacrimae decided they should keep an close eye on the thief anyhow, although it wasn't voiced, and again, suggested she comes along to have whatever she has of honor and pride soothed. At which, the woman only expressively grimaced and said that she will come along only to have a good laugh at their miserable attempts to get anything done.

At that point, the mage suggested they all go retire as the sun was about to rise again (apparently, they had spent all of the day in the caves, arriving at the tower at sunset), and there were many things to be done, but only when they were all better rested. The suggestion was rather sound, so they were all shown their rooms and both women, sooner or later slipped into sleep.

Lacrimae woke up not more than five hours later, sun brightly shining on her face through the large window. Her mind foggy and plagued with vague images of horror and pain from her dreams, she truly did not feel like getting up, but it wouldn't be her if she followed this urge. So, soon, the woman was up and about, ready to work and that, most importantly, finding Saith. However, on that aspect, things were going far from bright. It was much like he had vanished from the land, perhaps especially because he had little of magic to be traced and... She didn't really know anything about him. Not his birthday or age, not even his parents names that she could divine something about him with. By Lady Sun, they were complete strangers. What did he like to eat, what was his favorite color? Did he prefer the music of flute or lute? All she knew was that the drow was exceptional archer and hunter, of mixed race and liked to sleep outside, in the wilderness.

This realization made her feel even more annoyed at the insinuations that she and him might have something more than... Than frail friendship. How could one feel deeply for someone they barely knew? For Saith's knowledge of her were as shallow as her of him. Sure, they knew a bit of each other's personality, she knew that he was proud and jumped to conclusions, quick witted and tempered, lonely deep down. But that was hardly enough of base to develop feelings on!

To stop thinking about this, Mae threw herself into research with great vigor. Anything there might be to know about the region that the thief was heading into, the orbs themselves and what spells they had been used in before, and so forth, as well as how to revert those spells. When invited to come eat, she waved the servant away, too engrossed in the huge tomes.

In the meantime, Marwolaeth slept until next night, getting up and moving around the place much as if she owned it. It was perhaps not so much in her actions, as posture and pace, and she showed no inclination of going to help anyone for now, research or otherwise.

Xavirne
Plagg, claws out!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:03 PM

Saith spent the small remainder of the day listening to what plagued the city. Apparently a group of ravenous raiders would plunder and pillage the village at night. They would take children and break apart wives from husbands. It was all painfully tragic and the more Saith listened, the more he knew he had to stay. Although her yearned to go back to Mae he just couldn't abandon the cause before him.

Heart heavy, the drow eventually left the bar and found refuge in a tree that stood taller than the walls. It would keep him away from gossip and prying eyes as he fiddled with his heart's strings.

If he stayed, he might not ever see Mae again. With how they left things, Saith was beginning to think that maybe this was a good idea. And yet, at the same time, it pained him to think that he might not ever get to confess what he truly meant.

Yes, their time together was fleeting and minimal but in those few blessed days, he had come to welcome her presence. He felt connected to her--which was truly a first, for no one had ever made him feel like he belonged. For all his life, Saith was an outsider. To now be a part of something, to feel needed, he just couldn't let it go. He needed to be there. He needed to see things through. He needed to....

He let out a sigh. "Lacrimae," the words were solemn, "will you forgive me if I don't rush back to your side?" Eyes fixed on the moon above, he placed a hand on his heart.

The weight now on his heart was uncontrollably heavy. It made no sense for his hand hardly weighed anything but, in retrospect, he knew the truth of it all. He wanted to be there so he could sweep her into his arms and kiss her beneath this perfect sky.

When had he fallen in love with her? He wasn't sure. It was foolish and hasty. It was based on little, save for the fact that she had a stubborn resolve that aspired Saith to reach for stars. She was strong and unyielding. Wise and beautiful. She possessed his heart and encouraged him to pursue his dreams. To stand and serve beside her? It was so ideal. If he could, he would spend eternity by her side--as broken pieces or as a lover, whatever she preferred.

It was hard to even think about sleeping. His heart was a flutter with ideas of betrayal--not for Mae but for the kind people in this village. Did they need him? They did kidnap him so it's not like he had to stay. Then he thought of that pinky promise.

A frown crossed his features. He knew what he had to do.

Leaping from the tree, he sought parchment:

Lacrimae,

I find it hard to write to you with such news but I simply cannot leave you wondering whatever came of me.

I... I don't know how to phrase it so it doesn't come across too bold or repulsive, but... I find myself drawn to you. I know full well what I did nights ago in the shadows of the cave and, if given the chance, I would do it again.

As a man, I cannot help but want more but, as myself, I know I overstepped lines and I apologize for that. I was selfish and completely wrapped up in a dream that I mistakenly believed you shared. I... it was never my intention to hurt you or trouble you. I just... I just had to test the waters and see if there was something there.

I know it foolish to seek things so soon but it's how I've always lived my life--jumping from target to target. It's easier that way. No strings, no emotions. Just consulting adults doing mature things. When I'm with you, that's not what I want. Technically, yes, yes it is. But I know that I can't just jump into bed with you, nor would I want to. For once, I want to dance slowly. I want to move through the motions and try. I want to know what it's like to actually have that kind of connection with someone.

I know not what your experience is, nor do I care, for it's all in the past. I just simply wanted to try things with you. You're unlike anyone I've ever met. You're booth naive yet seductive. Your wordsmanship is beyond compare; you can inspire anyone--even this selfish drow--to follow your cause. And dare I even mention looks? The sun pales in comparison. You truly are gold among stones.

Heh, I've spent the past few days trying to talk myself out of having feelings for you. It's hard. No, impossible. Who wouldn't fall for a sun warrior? Or that charismatic priestess that awakes the light within even the darkest of beings?

Still., as much as I would love to confess this all to your face, I cannot.

Lacrimae, I'm afraid our time together has come to an end. I cannot contain myself beside you. As much as I want to be with you and Kev (tell him I'm well and fine), I cannot. I'm fearful that I will awaken a side of you that will compromise all you stand for. I will not be the one to brush a dark mark across your form. I will not be the one to make the sun shine less brighter.

Don't look for me. Don't find me.

I want nothing more to do with you and your hunt. You've a capable partner, one more worthy of your affection. Get what you seek but don't seek more.

Mae... if I'm allowed to call you that, I'm about to go on a mission that may take my life. I tell you this not so you can pity or grieve, but so you know that I'm doing this because I've finally been presented with an opportunity to show the world that I can be more than just a drow. I've an elven father who was noble and loved by all. Perhaps it's time I start accepting who I am.

They need me. And if I die tonight, then know I died trying to be the knight you said I could be.

All I ask is that you pray for me, just once, and then never speak my name again.

You are, and will always be my inspiration. I thank you for gracing me with your presence and entertaining the idea of partnership. But now, I must leave.

I wish you the best of luck in hunting your thief. You will find her and, Mae, you will be a glorious until the day you join the sun in the sky.

-Saith

The drow spent the remainder of the night ripping up letters and rewriting them. Ultimately, he wrote one (the preceding one) and decided it would do. It was hard. He wanted to write her a nasty note but his heart always took over and made it soft and loving.

Yawning, he brushed past some of the villagers. "No, nothing happened tonight. I'll stay until something does happen and, when it does, I'll be ready."

"Young drow, you look exhausted."

"Ma'am, I'm a drow. I'm supposed to sleep during the day. And since day is safe, I think it wise I sleep when peace is in the streets."

Not uttering another word more, he slowly walked toward his tree. The branches were large and shady, perfect for sleeping in while the sun was in the sky.

As he crawled into the tree, he spied a lovely hawk with black tips on its wings. Brow piqued, he smirked before extending a cautious hand to the bird. If he were anything like his kin, he would be able to tame said bird and use him as a messenger.

Much to his luck, the hawk was receptive and actually seemed to enjoy the drow. Stroking the bird's neck, he carefully tied the note to its foot before scooping it up in his palms.

"Tazva," he spoke to the winged creature, "can you deliver this to the elf of the sun with golden hair and a gentle face. She rides with a rugged knight with eyes of teal."

Stroking the bird one last time, he smiled before tossing it into the air. In seconds, the bird scattered with message in tow. "No haste, my friend. Sending this is..." he frowned, "the hardest thing I'll have to do."

---------- Post added 08-21-2015 at 02:55 PM ----------

"She has valid point," Kev agreed in lieu of Marwo's comment about the bounty. Too bad Mae had other comments. It was odd, though. Weren't most innocent until proven guilty? A bounty on Mawro's head seemed unfair, especially with news of a third party meddling in things. Besides, the great host before them stated she was not the person they sought.

Again, Marwo tried to haggle for her life and Mae declined. This caused a large wrinkle to form between his brows. Mae was truly being unfair. If she were wrong--and from the sounds of it, she was--she owed the redhead an apology. And now just a sappy "I'm sorry" and scoff it off thing. A full, genuine apology for tarnishing the woman's life.

Not before long the women were, more or less, playing on the same side. Both begrudgingly but enough that the events could play. Soon they were swept away to another room to retrieve their items.

A chill ran down his spine when the host spoke in coy tones to him. There was a twist to his riddle, one that caused Kevlar to keep his tongue still. He wanted to ask for clarification but knew any words of wisdom weren't meant to be explained--they were to be learned, first hand.

Much happened after they arrived back at... well, wherever they were. Mae immediately went to sorting things out and Marwo, like always, was put under heavy scrutiny. However, by time's end, it seemed her name had been cleared, slightly, so this pleased knight.

Kevlar was neither late to rise nor early to awaken. He work just before noon and felt even more exhausted than before. Perhaps falling ill days before was a bad idea, for it really wore him down.

Seeing Mae hard at work, the knight decided it might be wise to stock up on new supplies as well as sharpen his spear. When Mawro did eventually wake up, the knight approached her for he had something to share.

"Listen, I know you don't like us, let alone trust us, but," a hand ran through his brown hair, "I think the priestess is wrong to keep your reward poster up."

Small smirk crawling onto his face, he pulled out a stack of posters from behind his back. "I tried to grab as many as I could and I made note to a traveler that the posters weren't necessary. With any luck, he'll spread the news and your bounty will become whispers on the wind."

Lazily, he pushed the stack of posters on a table before he did a 180 and moved for the door. "Oh," he paused to turn his head back toward his shoulder. Steady teal eyes met her fierce pair. "Thank you. I know she won't say it but aiding us in finding the true thief deserves our utmost gratitude. Your skills in the forest are impeccable." Turning, he bowed to her before moving back toward the way he previously came from.

TwitchTumblrInstagram