Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 08-12-2015, 06:58 PM

A tale of love, beauty and deception.

Plot Summary:
Prince Edwin Maxwell Meriweather III, a monarch of an Medieval European city, has been well known for marrying many wives, however, with each year, his wives mysteriously disappear and are never seen or heard from again. It was a mystery where they go or what happens to them.
In a frantic effort to keep his kingdom from dividing, the newly appointed King Edwin seeks a new wife who is a peasant. This peasant, however, will soon discover what exactly happens to the wives who disappear. Can she get away in time before she, too, is erased from her existence?
(Loosely based on the tale of Bluebeard)

Kory

Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM

Name: Prince (King) Edwin Maxwell Meriweather III
(Sometimes called Prince Poppycock by his subjects because of his eccentric behavior)
Bio: Being the only heir to the throne, Prince Lewis' royal coronation has been delayed over and over due to his inability to keep a wife. However, after his father, the king, dies, he is next in line for the throne and has no choice but to accept and find another wife.
His subjects find him to be rather eccentric. He presents himself very well and is very dignified, but there is an ere about him that makes him seem jumpy and easily caught unawares.
Despite this, he is very posh and proper, but tends to neglect his wives when not in the public eye. He has many secrets he is hiding from everyone, which, are quickly becoming harder and harder to keep.

Last edited by Kory; 08-12-2015 at 10:56 PM..

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-13-2015, 12:39 PM

Name: Josephina Beckett
Bio: Jo comes from a large family of poor farmers. Her parents were unfortunate to have five daughters and one son who survived to maturity, which sounds like a good thing except that by the time Jo became eligible for marriage, being the youngest, there simply wasn't anything left to give as a dowry to any potential husband. So, she stayed on to help on the farm and take care of her parents as they aged.

Her personality is marked by an insatiable curiosity, which sometimes borders on reckless or rude, and she probably would've been a voracious reader if she had ever been taught how. Most of the time she is a friendly sort and is slow to anger, although she has a bit of a stubborn streak and she will lash out if pushed past her limits. Needless to say, being a bit of an outspoken sort like this didn't charm her any husbands when she was young enough, and she was a late bloomer in terms of beauty, so no one had been willing to take her on for free.

Continuing to wear her hair as an unmarried girl would, she finally caught the attention of someone passing by as she worked in a garden. She would never be able to pass as a noble lady, her long days in the sun having freckled her something fierce, but perhaps that was part of the point? And so comes the opportunity for a new life... one that she isn't quite ready for.

Kory

Old 08-14-2015, 03:34 AM

"I regret to inform you, Your Highness..."

That was how it always started. He'd grown used to this form of sharing information by now. His chambermaid had such an expansive vocabulary after all...

"... I bring grave news."

By now, Prince, no, King Edwin was aware, his new wife had gone missing. As they all did at some point in his life. She was his sixth wife. While his father was alive, he knew his inability to settle down was what caused his father, the former king, great suffering and embarrassment. He was the only heir to the throne, the former king's only chance to continue keeping up the spotless family name and continue to bring tranquility and prosperity to the kingdom.

King Edwin sighed and dismissed his chambermaid soon after she finished telling him what he already knew. His wife, an Heiress of Springbarrow, had mysteriously disappeared, leaving not even a goodbye note in her absence. The marriage did not last very long at all, maybe a year, if that. He was quite certain that the kingdom would not miss her, if they remembered her at all.

With the new title, this meant that in order for King Edwin to continue to rule, he'd have to remarry. Normally, remarriage under any circumstances were frowned upon, however, in normal circumstances the spouse does not vanish from the face of the earth as King Edwin's wives have been doing. He let out a sigh and continued sketching an image of a bird perched outside of his window.

He seemed to be very, very deep in thought, or maybe the opposite, having not a thought at all in his mind, however, either way, he was startled from his work when his mother, the queen, approached him with a sorrowful look on her face.

"I am so sorry for your loss, dear." She whispered as she gently placed a hand on his shoulder. Edwin nearly jumped out of his skin when her feathery touch had graced the velvet of his shoulder. "This pattern needs to come to an end, all eligible women in this kingdom and neighboring have already been married off... Those who were less fortunate had married you and were handed a grisly fate, I suppose."

Edwin remained silent for a moment. Still feeling jumpy over her touch and the way she always seemed to glide into his presence so stealthily without him being able to detect her ahead of time.

"There is no one left to marry. The subjects need a continuum, you need to produce an heir, we are walking a very fine line with another kingdom, boarding on possible war... You have no other options. A wife must be taken from the locals. While, she will not have good breeding, she can at least fulfill the duties needed to help this kingdom stand on it's own two feet."

Edwin searched his thoughts. A queen? So soon? His mother was always one to live for the moment, (sometimes the future as well) however, she was correct. There were too many responsibilities piling up on him. He needed another wife, but how to find her? The kingdom was filled with potential wives, if their breeding would not need to be considered, he could virtually marry any young woman he so pleased. The choices were endless...

The thoughts overwhelmed him too much and he stood from where he was seated in his window sill and dismissed himself from his mother's presence, mumbling as he quickly walked down the corridors of the palace about wanting to marry someone his age for once.

. . .

"My Prin-... Forgive me, My King... King Meriweather III, where is it that you are headed this morning? It is still very early, I'm afraid not even the birds are alive at this hour." It was certainly early. King Edwin was never one to need his horse so early in the morning, but today he needed to take a ride to clear his mind from it's troubles. He'd have his knights beside him the entire time, just in case, but other than that, he'd be alone. Away from the parliament, away from his queen mother and away from the responsibilities for a while longer.

King Edwin never really listened to his stableman. In fact, he usually ignored him, but it was not out of snootiness or for snobbish reasons. King Edwin Maxwell Meriweather III was very shy and held many secrets, many of which he worried people could see if they looked directly into his eyes. Another reason to avoid talking to anyone, this morning, on the other hand, he was feeling rather social.

"The Queen has already decided that the women of the kingdom will be lawfully inspected and brought to the castle for me to chose a bride among them. I have no such plans to follow through." He mounted his horse and gently ran a gloved finger through his horse's mane. "I am going for a ride, nothing more... Please inform the Queen that I will return promptly."

With that, The King allowed his horse to walk out of the stables, where his knights closely followed on their own horses and out of the palace they went, towards the dirt roads and foreign land... the place where the peasants lived.

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-14-2015, 08:16 PM

It was early, yes, but the sun had been up for a little while as it was summertime, and with the sun rose the women of the house. Breakfast had been made for Joseph before he headed out to work the acre allotted to their family, likely meeting his son there, and afterwards Josephina ate with her mother what was left. As always, it was for sustenance, not for enjoyment, but they were grateful for something in their bellies.

There was no time to be lazy, and they were quite adjusted to hard work, so they moved outside. Anna sat and worked spinning flax on a spindle while Jo took the harder work of weeding their small vegetable garden. It was odd to see one of Josephina's age working at her parents home, especially without a young one hanging on her, but the aging Anna was glad for the help.

"The radishes are comin' in very well this season, Mama," Jo commented, never being one to stay quiet for long. "The onions, too. We should have fine stews this year, yeah?" She paused to root around and get out a particularly nasty weed. It wouldn't do to have these useless plants stealing nutrients from their vegetables.

"Yes, dear," Anna chuckled. "The weather has been good this year." With luck, they should make it through the winter just fine. Her calloused fingers worked the course fibers with the skill learned through a lifetime of practice.

"Maybe we should give some to Liza if we have some to spare. She is with child again... maybe with a little better food, this one will live?" Jo brushed her hands off on her apron quickly so she could try to fix her hair as it kept falling into her face. Liza was one of her older sisters and had been sickly since her last miscarriage, so Jo was right to be worried, on top of having a giving nature.

"I don't mind that you go to help her sometimes, but Liza is Nathaniel's responsibility now. You know that, Jo."

"I know it, but it don't make it right," muttered the young woman under her breath. She sighed and went back to her weeding with a bit more energy, feeling a bit frustrated at the situation but not wanting an argument.

Kory

Old 08-16-2015, 03:29 AM

It was refreshing to Edwin to see the common folk working early in the morning, it wasn't too often that he was able to survey his kingdom and what, now with the opportunity to browse for a new wife, he gladly accepted the new environment with grace and dignity. After all, he was king now, he needed to know his kingdom well should he ever expect to rule.

His horse trotted beneath him as he rode through the town, his knights following closely by his side, protecting their king with their lives, should it come to such means. Edwin wasn't really paying much attention to the people who were busy scrambling away from their king's sight and trying to keep themselves occupied with their miserable lives.

The King originally planned to simply ride through the village, turn around and head back to the castle,mouth something caught his attention that he did not expect, a bright, almost shining spot of red in his peripheral vision made his eyes go wide and his head turned. Edwin,mthe re, saw a woman, and not society's idea of a woman (an immature, young preteen) but an actual, fully grown woman with the most beautiful shade of fiery red hair that Edwin had ever had the pleasure to lay eyes upon.

He galloped passed her, though he never looked away. After a few seconds of riding without looking to see what was in front of him, Edwin, The King, turned his horse around and trotted towards this beautiful young woman. His Knights took notice,

"Your Highness? Surely she is already engaged if not married?" One of his Knights suggested. Edwin ignored them,

"Poppycock!" Edwin said, "Whether or not she is married or engaged is not an issue for me. Yes, The former Queen will not be too happy should this woman already be married. But I will not tell my mother everything. These people are impoverished, I would happily wager that a price can be arranged for her significant other to... Simply forget her. Or better yet, I can make a deal with her father. They are destitute, they will comply regardless of price."

The Knights tried to talk some sense into their new king, but Edwin would not hear any of it. Instead, he kept trotting in the direction of the young woman. He didn't want to catch her attention just yet. Once his horse got close enough, he slid from the saddle and approached the woman slowly,

"Forgive me, my lady, for startling you..." Edwin smiled, "I am curious as to the whereabouts of your father. Perhaps, you may tell me if he is home?" It would have been easy to find this woman's father. Should she refuse, all he needed to do was set out a search and her father would be found in hours, maybe less. If it came to that, he'd have no problems removing this young woman from her home by force. However, he didn't want it to come to that.

He respected her thoughts and feelings... For now.

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-16-2015, 12:23 PM

("Poppycock!" OH gosh, I died laughing! I love that post, hahaha)

Hearing horses ride by on his first pass through, well it definitely caught her attention. Only important people, or those doing the bidding of the important people, rode horses, so it piqued her curiosity something fierce. She initially stopped what she was doing to watch them, completely forgetting the turnips at the moment, and she wondered to herself who they were. Some noble man, she supposed, riding off with his guard, and her mind wandered to thoughts of what could call him away like that - perhaps a hunt or a visit to another manor or...

"Look away, child," scolded her mother in a hushed tone when she saw Josephina so blatantly staring. "Foolish child."

That jarred her out of it and she turned back to the garden patch in front of her, although still stealing the occasional glance. She just couldn't help herself. But when she saw they slowed and turned around, her heart rate quickened and she chided herself mentally for boldly staring at the nobility like that. She knew better, and they must have noticed, and oh boy was she ever in trouble now. She stole a glance over at her mother, and could read on her face that she was thinking the same - that girl never did learn how to mind her own business, and now look at what she gone and did.

When he was near enough that his intentions of speaking with her, or having her punished, or whatever was to befall poor Jo, she scrambled to turn herself so that she was kneeling in his direction, out of respect. She still stole the occasional glimpse up at him, and fear and guilt was written plain as day in her expression. However, the way he addressed her, in addition to his smile, quickly turned that to pure confusion.

"Ah, good mornin, mi'lord," she responded hesitantly at first, still unsure whether she was in trouble or not. "My father... no, mi'lord, he is out working our acre with my brother, I swear." If this was about her father instead, well, by no means was she going to let him think that her father was being lazy and not working the land given to them, and it was the truth anyway. That was what those in power worried about, right? Lazy peasants not paying their taxes? Or something, she really wasn't sure. Her mind was racing as none of this made sense to her. "I can go and fetch him for you, if you like?"

Kory

Old 08-16-2015, 04:32 PM

(Ehehe. Glad you liked it! I'm loving your posts a lot as well, so much to work with!)

Looking into the woman's face was almost the equivalent of staring into the face of an angel. Edwin was taken by her beauty. He didn't want it to come to this, but he was so impressed with her outward appearance that should her father not find any price suitable for his daughter, he'd gladly take her by force. He knew his mother would explode with anger should he do such a thing, but he didn't much care about the opinions of his mother or what the gossip of the kingdom would be.

The woman seemed a little nervous. Edwin glanced across the garden when his eyes landed on another, older woman who was with her, tending to the vegetables. He understood that this older woman was probably her mother. Who cares? Edwin's inner voice had said. Well, he'd certainly keep talking to this beautiful young woman...

"That won't be necessary, my lady." Edwin said. He turned around and gently ran a finger through his horse's mane. "I wouldn't want to distract you from your work. You need simply give me the directions towards where your father is working and I will talk to him myself." With that, Edwin swiftly mounted his horse once more and stared down at the woman with a mixture of awe and lust in his eyes.

Before she could respond to his... "query", He spoke once more,

"Forgive me, my lady. It seems it slipped my mind to ask for your name?" He hoped that she understood by now she was in no trouble... Well, that she knew of.

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM

In no trouble, perhaps, but certainly as confused, and curious as ever. She had been about to respond, and was pointing over her shoulder, when he interrupted her with another question.

"Beckett... My name is Josephina Beckett, mi'lord." She sneaked another curious glance up at him, perhaps letting it linger a bit too long this time, but her curiosity was overwhelming her. What on earth did he want her name for? Snapping back to the first question, she gestured again over her shoulder, past the house and to the field beyond. "My father is working our strip four fields that way, mi'lord. Ah, he is Joseph Beckett."

She had at least picked up on that he had no clue who she or her family was, and so she tacked her father's name on at the end. It should make finding him easier, if nothing else. Oh it was ever so difficult to not ask what business he had with her father, but since she figured she had just barely escaped trouble as it was, she bit her bottom lip and said nothing. She looked over to her mother, but could read nothing but surprise at the moment, and that didn't help.

Joseph wouldn't be too hard to find anyway, once the prince or his guards went after him, whatever the case may be. He was out loading bundled sheaves of wheat onto a cart as his son and a few others worked to harvest it, and he stood out as he had hair just as bright as his daughter's, which probably explained why she was named after him.

Kory

Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 PM

Josephina.... A wicked smile crept onto Edwin's face when he heard her speak her name. It was very pretty, a suitable name for one so fair. He nodded at her and almost, almost took off without another word, but he had to say something more...

"Thank you, Miss Beckett...." I will return for you shortly... his mind said but the words didn't find their way out of his mouth. It sounded too posessive. Though, he certainly was a possessive man, he didn't want to her away just yet.

He didn't bother to introduce himself to Josephina, she didn't need that information. He, instead, motioned for his knights to follow him and he galloped off in the direction that Josephina had pointed out. The only thing on his mind was simply to pay off her father and bring her home to the castle. It would certainly satisfy his queen mother and would solve the problem of the kingdom needing a new queen.

He caught sight of a man in the fields with bright, fiery red hair. Edwin called out to him,

"Joseph Beckett!?" He slowed his horse's gait until it came to a stop and he slid from his horse, approaching Joseph in the field. "Joseph Beckett? I have come to ask for your daughter's hand is marriage. I understand that she may be a very valuable asset to your family's.... " Edwin looked at the other workers harvesting in the field as he tried to think of the word to use. "... livelihood. However, I am willing to pay any price for her, good sir. Simply name your price."

It didn't occur to Prince, well, King Edwin that he was practically buying the poor woman as though she were a well bred horse. In all of his life, everything had a price and he would always get whatever he wanted simply by paying enough for it. He could have his name written in the clouds with gold should he so choose.

He eagerly awaited Josephina's father's reply for he desperately wanted Josephina.

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM

"You're welcome, mi'lord." She kept her gaze averted until he was past her, at which point she looked out to watch them ride out to the fields, completely bewildered. "What on earth do you suppose that was all about? I could'a sworn I was in trouble, but that all ended rather pleasant like." She shook her head. He had kept calling her 'my lady,' and what had earned her that was well beyond her.

"Oh hun, he's going to take you with him." Her mother had picked up on the tone and look. "Probably to be a maidservant to his wife, but I know that look, he wants to bed you." She got up and went over to Jo and grabbed her sleeve at the shoulder to tug her up. "We should get you cleaned up before he returns."

"Bed me?! Mother!" She was understandably shocked. "What a shameful thing! Bedding a married man I'm not the one married to! And I don't even know who he is!" Her cheeks turned beet red, but she allowed herself to be brought to her feet and followed her mother indoors.

"Look, so long as you do what you're told, you'll have a roof over your head and food in your belly, and that's more than I can promise you." Anna softened a little. "This is an odd form of blessing, Jo, so take what you can get. We are too far from the convent to send you there... What did you think would become of you after your father and I pass on? This is good, so for once don't question it, because you can't afford to mess this up. Now, wash up!"

------------

The sound of horses caught the attention of the workers, but most kept on with what they were doing. They couldn't waste the daylight and the good weather. Joseph had just placed another bundle onto the back of a wooden cart when he heard his name called out.

"Eh? That's me, who's asking?" He wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his sleeve and looked in the direction of the prince and his men. Quickly sizing up the apparent importance of the gentleman, given his clothing and number of guards, he muttered out a quick apology and gave a stiff bow. Although, unlike the women Edwin had run into earlier, Joseph stood back straight again. He could be respectful, but he had some sense of self worth as well and recognized that.

"Ah, pardon me, mi'lord." It took him a couple of seconds for what was said to register with him, as it was all very unexpected. "Oh, you're here for Jo? Well, by all means, it would be an honor, sire. I uh... don't have much to offer for a dowry... see, that's why she's still with us. It isn't that there is anything wrong with her, sire..." His brain scrambled to think of anything worth value while his mouth kept moving. What did they have left that would be compensation for taking on another mouth to feed? "We have the milk cow, if you like, sire.."

Thankfully his son had come over out of curiosity by this point and had actually caught what was going on. He placed his hand on Joseph's shoulder. The poor man had spent far too many long years out in the sun and was a touch confused, not to mention it was an altogether unusual situation.

"Father, I believe the gentleman wants to take care of the dowry himself, and give you a gift." Besides, the milk cow technically belonged to him and his wife, not his parents, and he wasn't about to let it go due to a misunderstanding.

"Well, that's different," Joseph muttered to himself. "If that's the case, sire, we could use an ox. Or, if that's too much, a hen would be very appreciated." He was quick to add on the second offer as he wasn't wanting to scare the suitor away when he hadn't been expecting to be able to marry his last daughter off to begin with. Honestly, he was willing to bargain right down to letting his daughter go for free, as that was still a better deal than having to send a dowry with her. But he wasn't going to say that outright unless it looked like the prince was going to leave without her.

(sorry for taking so long. I think my cold or flu or whatever it was is almost gone now, though, so yay :) I have a clear head again!)

Kory

Old 09-06-2015, 06:14 PM

(That's alright! :) )

"An ox?" Edwin asked. "Consider it done.... However, your daughter is quite beautiful, Sir, I believe she is worthy of a higher payment. Please, allow me to offer you 200 pounds for your daughter." Edwin had rather interesting plans for Josephine, he had to be sure that the amount he paid for her would be enough to keep her family quiet should anything happen to her. They seemed to love her very much, he couldn't afford anymore negative publicity lest he end up like Queen Mary Antoinette. He refused to let his kingdom overthrow him like that.

"I take it we have an accord." Edwin was rather giddy with excitement at such a find, Josephine was truly gorgeous and would look so beautiful among his possessions in the castle. Besides, his marriage to her should also ease his queen mother for the time being until... Well, until Josephine would no longer be needed.

The wheels were turning in his head and he gave a strange, sinister smile towards Joseph Beckett. Josephine would be perfect.

He didn't wait for the old man to respond, his mind was somewhere else, he turned back towards his horse and mounted him. "I will send a servant to your home within two nights with the ox and 200 pounds. " Edwin said no more as both he and his Knights took to galloping back towards the small home where Josephine lived.

. . . .

The sun was beginning to set already, beautiful shades of orange, pink and red spread across the canvas of the sky as the prince found himself back at the home of the lovely Josephine. He motioned to his Knights to wait patiently, however, one had to bring something to Edwin's attention,

"Your Highness, the lady Queen will no doubt wonder where you are. After all, she planned to help you with planning a ball?"

Edwin hushed him with a arrogant huff. "I am no longer just the prince, Henry, I am the King and I do not have to answer to the former Queen any longer."

And with that, Edwin approached the door to Josephine's residence and banged on the door, announcing his return and stating that he was ready to take Josephine back to the castle with him.

Last edited by Kory; 09-10-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM

(...and then I sucked into looking through gifs for hours on end a couple of days in a row because hot men should not be allowed to lick their lips... ...don't mind me, my inner fangirl is showing *hides*)

"That is mighty generous of you, mi'lord." To say that Joseph was astonished was probably putting it mildly. "Yes, we have an agreement." To him, it wasn't as though he was selling off his daughter, but that he was ensuring a good life for her. He watched as the prince and his entourage turned and left and then shook his head. "Well I'll be. And I thought we were blessed when the carpenter took off with Laura..." He whistled low and then turned to the others who were watching. "Alright, back to work. We've got to get this in before the next rain."

---

Of course, since news spreads quickly in a village, word quickly came to her what was to become of her, and who she was intended for. Needless to say, Josephina had been both shocked and pleased that this was going to be a more honorable arrangement than what her mother had first assumed. It really had been a blessing in disguise to be such a late bloomer, as they say. She had been so awkward when she had come of age.

However, it alarmed and worried her some as she had heard about the prince, or well, king's inability to keep a wife, and she wondered what had happened to all of them and if the same terrible fate awaited her. Losing one or two wives in childbirth might be plausible, even if rather unlucky, but she wasn't sure what number this made her as the number changed depending on who was sharing the rumor. Anna had to have the patience of a saint to put up with Jo's constant stream of questions and ridiculous notions such as "What if he plans on eating me?" or "What if the queen mother is sacrificing all the girls to the devil?" But she managed to snap only a few times and assured Jo that even if her life was cut short, she could at least expect a year of good living better than she'd ever had. After all, an heir to the throne was still needed.

When Edwin came for her in the evening, Josephina answered his knock at the door herself as the men were still coming back in from the fields. Her hair was done up this time in a sort of braided updo, as her mother had attempted to give her a more ladylike appearance, and she had taken the time to wash all the dirt from gardening off herself and put on a clean apron. Her eyes widened and her cheeks flushed as she saw who it was, even though she should have expected him to return, and she fumbled a bit as she curtsied.

"Good evening, mi'lord! It, ah... is a pleasure to see you once more." This time, knowing that she was not in trouble, she dared to take a much better look at him. After all, such boldness hadn't been punished the last time. He was rather handsome for a devil, she thought to herself, although she didn't voice that suspicion aloud as her mother had chastised her for it earlier. She felt as though she could fall into those blue eyes and drown, but perhaps he was just bewitching her. That had to be it! With a further blush, she averted her eyes. And yes, with her head swimming with such strange thoughts, she had completely forgotten to invite him in and left him just standing out there waiting.

Kory

Old 09-15-2015, 08:53 PM

(Ain't no shame in your game. ;) Fangirling is what makes life worth living!)

Edwin was rather estatic when he saw Josephina's radiance. She was absolutely stunning and it was pleasant to his eyes to see one so beautiful. She'd make a lovely addition to his collection, indeed! Edwin found himself rather taken by her beauty and didn't realize at first that he was at a loss for words.

"Ah, pardon me, dear Josephina, I was just... In awe of your beauty, my lady." He had to restrain himself from simply grabbing her and throwing her onto his horse and galloping off. He was rather pressed for time and that wasn't a half bad idea. He expected by now that his mother knew about Josephina and was expecting them back at the castle. A wedding would need to be prepared for, dresses to be made, food to be cooked, servants to serve... So much to do. And it needed be done quickly. He didn't want to raise any suspicions, he'd marry Josephina in private, a small wedding and later announce the marriage to the kingdom. Yes, the plan was falling into place perfectly.

Before his mind could wander any further, Edwin gently took Josephina's hand in his own and placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand,

"My lady, it is my greatest pleasure to have your hand in marriage." He was rather awkward, it felt a little awkward after all, this was his first time asking for a woman's hand in marriage himself rather than agreeing to an arranged marriage that his mother or his late father would arrange for him. It would also be his first time marrying a woman rather than a prepubescent girl, such as customary for nobles. He awkwardly tried to pull her out of her house, only acknowledging her mother with a simple glance in her direction.

"I don't mean to alarm you," He spoke to her softly, hoping her mother wouldn't be listening, "But I'm afraid the Queen may be anxious waiting for my return." Edwin hoped that Josphenia would take the queue to say her farewells and leave.

. . .

While Edwin was meeting with Josphenia's father, one of his knights left to alert the Queen of her son's whereabouts. Which, was no longer their duty for they no longer answered to the former Queen professionally, but as they had served their beloved Queen for many years, they felt a secret obligation to her and they were not afraid to do her favors every now and then. None of the knights had yet seen Prince King Edwin's wrath and weren't afraid of upsetting him. After all, he was a strange little number, but he never seemed to get angry.

"A farmer?!" The Queen roared. "Has he lost his mind...?! No, he has. He's truly gone mad. Someone of his caliber sinking so low as to marry a peasant!" The Queen was furious. "He is royalty, Henry! I knew it... I knew he'd be the downfall of this kingdom!"

"My Queen..." Sir Henry said, "He says you merely requested he find a wife, that you ne'er stated where or how, just that he find one, and your Majesty, he has."

"When I told him to marry a local, I at least hoped he'd marry someone with a good occupation, not a spinster! I'd hoped he'd marry a blacksmith's daughter, one who'd been prepped for marriage. Or a jeweler's daughter. Someone young, someone who will be good for breeding, Henry, not a farmer!"

The Queen let out a long, defeated sigh, rubbing her temples with her fingertips as she frowned deeply.

"At least tell me this, Henry... Is she pretty? My Reginald, God rest his soul, would be turning in his grave if our son should marry an ugly farmer girl."

"Your Majesty, her beauty is beyond compare."

(And sorry this is so late! I was having a bit of writer's block, but I got back into the swing of it today with inspiration!)

Sarahbelle
Rip Van Winkle

Old 10-05-2015, 01:19 PM

(I had no clue how much my nutritional drinks affected my energy and focus until I ran out... wow. Sorry for going so long without posting, but I am doing much better now! Or, today at least *crosses fingers* Also, I am not used to playing beautiful characters, so I keep laughing through all the flowery praise, haha. Oh goodness, lol)

"Oh, no, it's an honor to be chosen, mi'lord." She flushed a bit at his manners, but understood on some level the sense of urgency. He was a very important man and it would not do to keep him, or his mother, waiting. Even if it was all quite the whirlwind for her, discussions and questions would have to wait... but no doubt they would come soon enough!

Taking his cue, she slipped from his grip and went to give her mother a quick hug goodbye, but did not linger long. Anna placed a kiss on her youngest daughter's cheek and gave her a brave smile. It was hard to see her go, in a way, but she was strong and it was for the best, better than she could've ever dreamed for Jo. Nothing more had to be said, it was all done earlier and it was getting late.

Josephina returned to Edwin and went out to the horses with him. She'd never ridden one before, but didn't seem afraid of it, more curious than anything. How hard could it be?

"Alright. As you wish, sire." She put on a smile for him and was agreeable enough for now. She could do this. Ahead of her lay the unknown, but to her that just meant more puzzles to solve and things to learn, and that should keep her busy enough for awhile. Behind her was her mother, standing in the doorway and waving farewell.

Kory

Old 10-09-2015, 11:26 PM

(Don't worry! I don't mind. :D To be honest, I'm not used to playing such a.... er... "romantic" character, so I'm probably really, really overdoing the compliments! LOL.)

After mounting his horse as swiftly as he could, Edwin helped Josephina up onto his horse and once his knights were on top of their horses as well, Edwin set the pace and trotted off with his new bride by his side. He went slowly, so as not to startle Josephina. After all, though she certainly seemed to be very brave, he was unsure of whether or not she'd ever ridden a horse.

"If you feel you may be losing your balance, you may feel free to hold onto me. We'll arrive at the castle shortly."

Edwin motioned to his knights that he'd soon pick up his pace. Within a few moments his horse picked up the gait. It didn't take an awful amount of time for his horse to come to a full gallop, and though he was unsure of whether or not his new bride was frightened, he certainly wasn't about to slow down for they were only a short distance from the castle, which came into view after they'd passed through the gate that separated the castle from the rest of the kingdom.

Edwin didn't feel the need to announce that they'd arrived to Josephina, after all, he knew she could tell that they were there. He slipped off his horse and lifted a hand to help Josephina down. As he did this, out of the corner of his eye he could see his mother waiting for him at the palace entrance. A look of terrible disdain on her face. Edwin turned away from her to pretend that he didn't see.

"My King..." His mother called. Though, she said it with a rather snark tongue, almost as though she were making fun of his title. It was very obvious that his mother didn't approve, but still, Edwin ignored her. "Who is it that you've brought with you, my dear?"

And still, Edwin ignored her, giving Josephina his undivided attention. He knew he couldn't ignore his mother forever... Something had to be done about that. But now wasn't the time to plot and plan. Now was the time to welcome his new bride into his home and soon commence the wedding ceremony, hopefully within the next day.

The Queen (who was tired of being ignored) quickly came down the steps to the castle to meet Edwin and Josephina at the gate entrance, her servants quickly following close behind. Edwin sighed,

"Josephina, this is my mother. The former Queen." He ignored the way his mother snarled and simply threw an arm over Josephina, walking her up towards the castle. "When we wed, you shall become the next Queen." Edwin smiled, though, it was a fake smile, he hoped Josephina couldn't tell.

He was quite happy to escort her inside the castle.