XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 AM

When it comes to art there are a few ways you can go about learning how to draw. You could go to small paid classes at night, go to an arts college or Study on your own with gathered materials from the library and set up you own live studies. Heck you can even find awesome and informative tutorials on youtube for free!

Have you ever noticed how art remains one of the few rare careers where your portfolio speaks louder than college degrees. If a company likes your portfolio and personality they are likely to hire you regardless of art degrees.

Why do you think this is?
Do you have a story about your learning journey?
What about you are you Schooled or self taught?

Personally I think it's because of the way artists incorporate feelings directly into their line of work. Since there is really no way to be taught emotion or feelings I believe it leaves room for "un-educated" workers.

While an artist maybe the most technically skilled with the highest degrees in an art school around, if there work or personality doesn't move you or their commissioners in some way (good or bad) they will never be successful. (imo of course)

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 AM

I started by doodling around with any thing I can get my hands on. I vaguely remember the style of art that time was heavily influenced by western cartoon, FLinstone for example. XD Then when I reached 10 years old, I am sucked into Japan's world~ <33 I fall in love with their style. I had been to 2 different art class, but those 2 art class are just NOT gear towards manga/anime, I quit after a few months. x.x

During that time, the art class are all... art. People just don't consider comic as a material to learn in art class.

What is left, I can only self taught. From the traditional trace and eyeball, to expose to awesome internet online tutorials, I slowly learn about the anatomy and eyes. I find it more satisfying. Then from drawing venturing into colouring~

I feel I learn better by learning specifically what I want at that time. Like, if I want to draw a certain pose, I would go search for little tutorials and learn about it. I find it more effective.

Nightmaren
A Simple Neglectable Oddity

Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM

I was self taught, save for my father having taught me how to use basic shapes and shading. The rest I learned from practice, and from looking at other artist's works. I taught myself how to color, which explains why it isn't too good. My drawings have evolved quite a bit from what I was taught, and my father only taught me how to draw dragons. He was going to teach me how to draw humans. But, well, I ended up having to teach myself. Whenever I had found and find errors in my drawings, it motivates me to get better.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Dragons? Wow~ I love dragons.
I hope I have your attitude of being motivates when notice errors.

What is the art style when your father taught you?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM

Self taught. I've never managed to learn any art related skills from school. Plus I've never seen a Pixeling 101 class before

XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 PM

I find that unfortunately schools can't teach you everything you need to know, and they charge way to much to do it. I think I might attend a night class one day just to see what it's all about.

Do you guys have any favorite books or resources you use? Or do you just keep practicing?

I find it really helpful to draw things 3 times before coming up with a final copy. Like how writers will do a story arch tree and then a rough draft and send it to editors to polish. Every time I try and make it a little better.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM

I know when I end up trying to learn to DRAW I plan to buy the book from Mark Crilley and watch his videos. He's one of the better teachers I've seen even if it's through video tutorials.
And he costs $400 a quarter less than a real teacher!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 AM

My resource are online, mostly from fellow artists themselves~ <3
I wanted to buy those How TO Draw Manga series, but later figure too expensive for me.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Ah yeah those books. Until I saw Mark Crilley's book I thought they were all "Make a circle, add two lines BAM full blown drawn picture" XD and I was so horrified by it but he keeps it at the basics. (Granted he is American, but he researches heavily in what he makes)

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM

I actually found that drawing things by building bunch of simple geometrics work for me.
I like that method. What the art class thought me straight away is... draw this, draw that. -__-;;

Mimmu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM

I'm pretty much self-taugh, never been in an art class - other than school's, I mean. But I don't think I've learned a lot from school. My mom is fantastic with anything creative (cooking, baking, drawing, painting, crafting - she's pretty good with doing houses too with Sims!), so I usually ask her opinion for anything I've done. Plus I have a friend who has been in art classes and who has studied quite a lot about anatomy etc. So it's good to ask help and critic from them.
I usually look tutorials. I don't use them, like watch-and-try-to-copy, but I see them and hopefully I rember something from them when I next time try to draw. I don't like watching youTube videos, simply because my computer hates me and watching them is a pain. ^_^

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM

I believe it's because, like music, art is a kind of performance.
You won't be hired to play in an orchestra if you don't know your way around the instrument but at the same time people understand how to use said instrument at different speeds. Some people are virtuosos and will not need the training or guidance that others might to understand how to use the tools they are aiming to master... This allows for them to get a lot more practice than someone who is under the rigid scaffolding of tutelage.

I love art, I've loved it since I could remember. I was horrible when I started and did my best when I could (I took classes in jr. high school) but after a while I couldn't take the homework, the assignments. It was very difficult for me to produce a work on demand that I could feel proud of and so that was very limiting. When I got to high school I still had a very poor understanding of human proportions and an even poorer understanding of how to use color. I have been able to work on proportions on my own because it doesn't take much to sketch things out but color... color is still a monster I hardly feel ready to tackle.

I suppose in that way I'm both self taught and schooled. I've only really used two 'tutorials' from the internet in order to give me guidance in how to color (One for realistic eyes, the other for realistic fur... neither of which I have mastered.) -- I've thought about taking art classes at a university in order to get over my color-woes but haven't yet. I'm a little afraid that if I do we'll just end up painting landscapes or nudes and what I really, really want to learn is clothing- draping, form fitting, rigid and all of those textures... D:

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Maybe Fashion? XD Definitely sure you will be involved in a lot of clothes, drapes and things.

I find that, at the basis, observation is important. You should understand/know what you want to draw to get it right. Lately, I had done a lot of observation for things I want to draw. Find references, look at tutorials, observe real life.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM

I disagree completely about art being the only field that companies will hire you regardless of college degree or not. Everywhere I look there are statements of must have a degree, must have experience. Even for jobs that are the very basic, with minimum pay; which should be the jobs that you get the experience to find a better job with better pay!

And that comes especially to the arts. At least for the big businesses. They may look at the portfolio and say "hey you're really good" But than they go what is your job and schooling experience. and you go uhhh..... well. I don't have a degree. EHHHHHH *door slams in face* . IF I was of an older generation, perhaps that wouldn't be the case. Maybe in 20 years I will be able to get a job, without a degree, just showing my portfolio. But there is something completely frustratingly arrogant about job hirers right now, and there prejudice against my age group. We apparantly are a bunch of incompetant fools that have no work ethic, and are not worth hiring unless we have the degree to prove we cashed out crap tons of money for schooling AND for the supplies. But than they go, you didn't work during it? No i didn't have the time with everything else. And they will still slam the door in your face.

*bites tongue* so sorry, rant done.

I went to college for art and am 7 classes from having a degree and can't find a real art job. I'm teaching some art classes at local art galleries, but its nothing big. For the most part i guess i'm actually class taught. Eh... i'm not really sure its got to be about 50-50. I've learned alot from my father and from classes. But I will look up guides. And just doodle on my own. And many glasses aren't guided very well at all, or don't actually teach you anything and just grade you on how close to their art it is.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Poor you, Shadamimi, life sure sounds rough! *hugs*

I felt art from itself is hard to earn a living. So I didn't consider it for my career at all. x.x I am so materialistic.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM

I may over dramatize it? But that's what life feels like these days. Maybe that's partially cause i've got a daughter, and another baby on the way of unknown number and gender. xD

I do actually have an art field job, but its this obnoxious one where i'm not doing any art itself. I'm framing others art. and I'm an apprentice getting paid 10 pct commission. and nothing for the work or time i'm putting in. And when every job that has come in this month has been completed by me... i wonder why i don't own the company, because i would run it SO much better. which.. also. is kind of where the hate towards older generations is coming in.

Boss has told me i'm working to fast and efficiently and need to slow my butt down and not work so hard. (UMM WHAT???) *bangs head on wall slowly and repeatedly* i don't understand.. why... i can not... win... So i'm not allowed to touch any of the equipment unless i'm JUST practicing. And i have to sit and read textbooks on HOW to do the work instead of getting hands on experience.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Your boss... I want your boss. XD You won't get this kind of boss here!
Our boss here pay you less and expect you to work more!

XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 PM

@ The Wandering Poet: Mark Crilley eh... *jots down* I haven't heard of him. I'll check him out. :)
@ xuvrette: I've seen some of those how to draw manga books...they kinda scare me. It's better to use real life as a resource then develop your own style around it than look off someones style and reproduce. Unless Archiving is the kind of art you want to get into learning other styles that isn't your own is detrimental.
@ Mimmu: That's pretty much my way of using tutorials too. I search consume then go about my regular art. Sometimes I find they influence me other not so much.
@ Mythos: Yes that sounds about right with the performance aspect of art.
@ Shadami: Well with all that being said, I'm curious what your portfolio look like? What kind of company's have you been showing your portfolio too? I ask because if your showing a bunch of anime and flower drawings to an advertising firm they'll probably tell you what they have been. "Your good but not what we want" Companies will use the degree thing a lot of the times as an easy way to let you down. I have a degree in Fine Arts myself, however it's not from one of their "recognized authorities" So I often don't even mention it. So yeah just because they use that as an excuse and don't hire you doesn't mean then never do it. XD They just say those things to separate those with drive. I submit my stuff that says "degrees only" all the time. Sometimes I get a rejection letter other times they'll want to see you. Be ruthless in your passions! Your just as good as anyone with a degree.

Also in our industry you have to get to know people and befriend your competition. Unless you want to deal with an agent. *shudder* The more open you are to people about your art passion the more likely they'll remember you or your friends will. The majority of my body of work this year has been tattoo sketches for friends of friends of my friends. I've also done a few water colors for Co-workers parents. I don't know why but this year has been all flowers for me. XD Which is funny because I normally do Erotic or horrific looking commissions over the internet. I guess when you actually know the people you do other things. I prefer freelance over company work because company's will always screw you over, They own you and your works, plus 9-5 isn't me at all, also don't get me started on how . You can make a career out of it if your strong enough without submitting to any company. Heck you could even start one with your friends. It is a very open career path. Don't be frustrated just keep going for it! *glomps*

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
Your boss... I want your boss. XD You won't get this kind of boss here!
Our boss here pay you less and expect you to work more!
I guess its a good thing. But i'm working alot for very little money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombie.Mama.NephxX View Post
@ The Wandering Poet: Mark Crilley eh... *jots down* I haven't heard of him. I'll check him out. :)
@ xuvrette: I've seen some of those how to draw manga books...they kinda scare me. It's better to use real life as a resource then develop your own style around it than look off someones style and reproduce. Unless Archiving is the kind of art you want to get into learning other styles that isn't your own is detrimental.
@ Mimmu: That's pretty much my way of using tutorials too. I search consume then go about my regular art. Sometimes I find they influence me other not so much.
@ Mythos: Yes that sounds about right with the performance aspect of art.
@ Shadami: Well with all that being said, I'm curious what your portfolio look like? What kind of company's have you been showing your portfolio too? I ask because if your showing a bunch of anime and flower drawings to an advertising firm they'll probably tell you what they have been. "Your good but not what we want" Companies will use the degree thing a lot of the times as an easy way to let you down. I have a degree in Fine Arts myself, however it's not from one of their "recognized authorities" So I often don't even mention it. So yeah just because they use that as an excuse and don't hire you doesn't mean then never do it. XD They just say those things to separate those with drive. I submit my stuff that says "degrees only" all the time. Sometimes I get a rejection letter other times they'll want to see you. Be ruthless in your passions! Your just as good as anyone with a degree.

Also in our industry you have to get to know people and befriend your competition. Unless you want to deal with an agent. *shudder* The more open you are to people about your art passion the more likely they'll remember you or your friends will. The majority of my body of work this year has been tattoo sketches for friends of friends of my friends. I've also done a few water colors for Co-workers parents. I don't know why but this year has been all flowers for me. XD Which is funny because I normally do Erotic or horrific looking commissions over the internet. I guess when you actually know the people you do other things. I prefer freelance over company work because company's will always screw you over, They own you and your works, plus 9-5 isn't me at all, also don't get me started on how . You can make a career out of it if your strong enough without submitting to any company. Heck you could even start one with your friends. It is a very open career path. Don't be frustrated just keep going for it! *glomps*
Okay gonna reply a paragraph at a time. aka. i've only read the first paragraph so far. My portfolio I feel is weak right now to be truthful. The pieces that are in it are good. But everything... and i mean everything seems to be digital art nowadays. And I'm all traditional. So its very frustrating even looking for a job!
I guess in part i was just complaining about jobs in general. But I have an art teaching job right now. And the "boss" came in and is talking about his amazing degrees and such. and than just on the sly goes "so are you actually qualified as a teacher of the arts." and instead of saying, "no i don't have a degree" I said "I'm here aren't i." had i not said that i'd have probably been fired on the spot. Even though he wasn't the one who hired me.

second paragraph is more me. :]
I basically said screw you companies! And i'm selling art from my house. I got my sales tax permit. ( i guess i still need to file for my DBA, but it wasn't required to start selling? weird) So basically i'm now a legal artist who can sell at craft shows and stuff. I just have to take my little sales verification card with me. wohoo.

Already been in a couple of art shows. Though nothing has sold yet. i'm starting small. My really amazing piece (a painting 1' x1' ) I was told would have sold for 300$ in NYC. my jaw kinda dropped at that. I'm selling stuff at 15-60 right now. I'm also setting up a professional deviant art in the hopes to get some real comissions. I enjoy comissions. and i put a lot of passion into them typically. the painting was sort of a comission. It was a tiger, my sisters favorite animal. And was a gift for her as a get better soon painting.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 AM

haha~ Nephilala~
I don't fancy real life at all. I prefer non real.

Shadamimi~ I never heard of a boss asking their employee to not be hardworking.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM

He does youtube videos so he's totally free (minus his shameless advertising of his books) so you can see how he teaches before even looking into the book.

@ Shadami - Oh my that sounds awful... I would hate that D:

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Exactly why i'm getting so frustrated at work. I go back in wednesday to see what she thought of my not working all week.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM

I don't think the boss would be happy. x.x

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM

i have this weird feeling that she will be though. Because i did exactly what she told me to do. Slow down, maybe practice a bit. read this textbook, and do nothing!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-06-2013, 03:42 PM

lol. Sometimes, boss don't mean exactly what they say, word by word.
People are complicated. x.x