ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 05-31-2023, 11:04 PM

it was great! so relaxing. it was nice to be back where my family is from, and to get to go do all the cool naturey stuff i never did as a kid. and it was a little rainy while we were there after a long period of drought, so there were flowers blooming everywhere! i've never seen the desert so colorful.

oooh classy! i didn't know you knew French, that's really cool :D

oh man that really is a crunch, i can definitely understand being stressed having to pack up your whole life in just a couple weeks you got this though! it'll all be worth it when you're settled in and cracking the spine of your first book.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-01-2023, 06:21 PM

Ooh, that sounds amazing, I love spending time in nature. It always makes me feel more relaxed and grounded. I was able to visit a botanical garden when I was in Phoenix for work a couple weeks ago and it was amazing. I've never seen huge saguaros in person.

I actually have a Bachelor's degree in French, for all that does for me.

Haha, thanks! I'm definitely taking the lead on the packing. My boyfriend hasn't really been doing any but he's also studying for his board exams and I'm the better packer so it makes sense. My sister is also going to come visit in 2 weeks and help me pack some stuff up as well. Today I packed away a whole (albeit small) box of coasters and magnets. My boyfriend LOVES getting souvenirs whenever he goes anywhere so we have LOTs of those.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 06-02-2023, 04:10 AM

that sounds so nice, i love botanical gardens! and saguaros are so cool, i saw some in AZ when i went a few years ago, they really are giant the main ones we saw in NM were chollas, they look like churro trees

oh wow that's awesome! my minor for my bachelors was Spanish, so i feel you. language courses are so fun and enriching though, it's such a useful skill to learn how other languages work.

hey we love a good division of labor i'm glad you've got someone coming in to help you though. and you know what it's still progress! that's one fewer set of coasters and magnets that you have to pack later. that's so cute about the souvenirs, i admit i'm a sucker for a good souvenir too.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-06-2023, 03:48 PM

OMG churro trees. That's totally what it looks like though!

Ooh, a fellow language lover! I haven't been great at keeping up with my French on a regular basis but I don't think I've lost much of it. Whenever French speaking people pop up on my social media or in movies, etc. I can still understand what they're saying. Once I get to my new home I'll have to break out one of my gazillions of unread French books for a refresher!

Haha, true! The boxes are growing but it's kind of hard to figure out what to pack at this point because I still need a lot of our stuff for the next 2.5ish weeks. It's a bit of a hurry up and wait situation in some respects but we're making progress.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 06-07-2023, 11:38 PM

*begins to nom* i think there's a reason these things have spikes...

it can definitely be hard to keep up with! but you'll pick it right back up, especially if you're watching movies or listening to music in French. and i really admire you for being able to read in French, i struggle the most with reading in Spanish, especially chatspeak, i have no idea what people my age are saying online

i totally get that, that's the hardest part about packing. well i'm wishing you luck! make sure you find some time to breathe among all the chaos too

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-09-2023, 07:29 PM

OMGGG I wonder about the animals that do nom on cacti. It must not be a fun experience but I guess they're adapted for it.

Ahh chatspeak is a nightmare. It's been a while since I've seen any French chatspeak but I probably wouldn't have any idea what they're talking about haha! One of my friends from my time studying abroad posts on Facebook a lot but I unfollowed her because she mostly talks about her health problems and I honestly got tired of constantly reading about them. I've been thinking about subscribing to French TV for ages. There's one you can do for $15 a month which isn't a lot but I need to actually find them time to sit down and watch for it to be worthwhile...

Thank you! The boxes are piling up. There's not a whole lot left at this point apart from clothes and all the kitchen stuff and some bathroom things. I think we'll be able to finish on time. I took about a week and a half off for the move. Three days of it will be spent actually driving there but hopefully I'll have enough time for the rest of it to try to get some stuff unpacked and other things done like trips to the DMV and whatnot. Things just got extra stressful though because I'm going to have oral surgery done literally like 2 days before the move. Not good timing at all...

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 06-09-2023, 09:59 PM

they're mostly little guys, so they're able to get in between the spikes! i think some rodents and insects will even stand on a spike to reach a better part of the cactus.

you could always break it up into smaller watch sessions, like a tv show or a play with intermissions! i definitely think it's worth it even if you can only get 15 minutes in and you don't finish the movie. but i would definitely start with what you can find on YouTube and Netflix first before you commit to a subscription. Netflix has a lot of good foreign language films, it looks like their French section is pretty substantial!

NO oh my goodness, that's going to be hell it's good you're getting the dental work done, but what shitty timing! i'm glad to hear things are mostly on course with packing up though! it really sounds like you've been doing a good job.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-12-2023, 08:16 PM

Aw, that's so cute!

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of free options out there that I could look into as well. I've watched some of the movies on Netflix. That reminds me that there was a TV series on there that I wanted to watch. I'll have to check it out at some point. I can't even remember what it's called...

Yeah...my gums tore away from my front two teeth so they're going to take tissue from the roof of my mouth and sew it back over. @_@ I had a cleaning today too. So many dentist visits... My sister is flying over this weekend to help finish off the last of the packing. We've got the wall art and kitchen stuff and clothing to do yet.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-11-2023, 06:13 PM

Heya Ghostie, how've you been?

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-16-2023, 12:59 AM

hey ziggie! we've been settling into our new place, and now we're prepping for the holidays, so things have been busy. i forgot to check Mene for a long time! how has everything been with you, are you liking where you moved?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-17-2023, 02:18 AM

Oooh both of those things sound like very busy times. Have you done anything fun for holiday prep? We put our tree up over here but I haven't been able to make cookies like I usually do because I've been sick pretty much all week. I'm so/so about our new hometown. I like the overall vibe but the weather is crazy and I miss Florida.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-18-2023, 06:26 PM

Aw I'm sorry ziggie it's hard to be in a good mood when the weather is going crazy, especially being sick! that's a bummer you don't get to make your cookies. [=(]

we've done some fun stuff! my partner is really the one in charge, he set up this whole winter wonderland in our new garage, so we have about 6 trees now 3 of them are mini though, and one is medium. i got my own mini tree that i did with Nightmare Before Christmas decorations and then we also have this giant snowman that unfolds kind of how a lantern does and hangs on this metal stand, and a little polar bear with a santa hat on covered in string lights, who we named Snoo because he looks like Winnie the Pooh. and then we raided the dollar store and filled in all the gaps with little decorations. their quality has gotten a lot better since the price increase, so we actually found a lot of good stuff there.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-19-2023, 04:24 AM

Wow, a winter wonderland?! I only have one tree but I got a new one this year (I gave the one I had away when we moved) and I quite like it. It's one of those pre-lit ones and you can push a button to have it be either colored lights or white lights which seems very fancy compared to the old-fashioned Christmas trees I'm used to.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-20-2023, 06:30 PM

ooo that is fancy! that sounds so useful, it's always hard to decide which color scheme to go with. i'm excited for when they start coming with those color changing led lights where you could make the lights any color in the rainbow, or unique combinations. i never imagined something like that when i was untangling all those wires as a kid

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2023, 05:33 PM

Yeah, that would be super cool! It's crazy the advances we've had since being a kid. I was actually telling my boyfriend this morning that I still can't believe I'm pushing a button now to turn my car on instead of turning a key. Man I feel old.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-22-2023, 06:59 PM

the button thing weirds me out so much!! but it's definitely good, it used to be so unnecessarily complicated i feel so old now.... "oldies" radio is now the 90s there's no technology for playing music anymore besides airpods certain things i still have from my childhood are now "vintage" nobody prints photos??? oh well, guess we just have to embrace it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2023, 10:26 PM

Haha, that's very true! Things are changing so quickly. I still don't know how I feel about young kids having cell phones. I didn't get mine until 10th grade and even then it was only to call home when I was done with track practice!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-23-2023, 08:00 PM

right?? so weird. i had my first phone in 6th grade, it had a green screen and you could play like snake and othello on it, and you could see one text at a time my sisters had theirs when they were 8!! granted they only played games on them until they were closer to 13 because we couldn't afford phone service for everyone, but still, imagine a little 5th grader texting someone?? and the way even like a 2 year old will pick up a phone and know how to do things on it, like turn on the flashlight or open the camera. it's really amazing.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-01-2024, 08:29 PM

OMG I remember playing snake on my mom's phone, haha! I didn't get texting until my last year of college. Kids and technology these days are wild!

Also, happy new year!!!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-02-2024, 05:05 PM

happy new year!! :D did you make any good resolutions?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-02-2024, 08:00 PM

Nah, not really. I'm not big on the whole resolutions thing. How about you?

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 01-04-2024, 01:39 AM

i made a bunch, but they're mostly just kind of affirmations i want to remember moving forward, not really any kind of firm goal.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-04-2024, 02:39 AM

I think that sounds like a good plan. I hate when people set themselves unreasonable goals and then feel badly for it.