Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 AM

Last night I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep so I popped on to Netflix and was greeted with a giant banner for one of their newest original series...

and I thought to myself, "This looks like some nostalgic 80s monster flick. Let's do this."

Well by the time episode 8 ended and I noticed it was suddenly 4am all I could think about was how I had just had one of the most pleasant television show experiences I've had in a while. All day I kept thinking about things the show did absolutely right and just how great it was. I've already gotten some people interested in watching it with me because I need someone to talk to about it, it was just that good.

So I gotta know, has anyone here seen it yet?

Hocus Pocus

Old 07-23-2016, 02:26 AM

I watched it all this past week. I actually watched the end of the season first because my fiance was finishing it up and I walked in and started to watch the end with him. I liked it so much I went back and watched the rest of the season. I hope they have a season too. It reminds me of Stephen King.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 AM

I totally agree. I was definitely getting those Stephen King vibes.

One of the best parts about the ending was it did a really good job wrapping up the story so it could easily stand alone, but there were those few little things that opened up questions that could be answered in a second season. I definitely would love to see one.

MeIshCutie
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-26-2016, 08:32 AM

ooohhhh, you just made me interested on watching this on netflix ;o..

I just finished watching a netflix original too called Between and the end of season 2 was pretty disappointing..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-26-2016, 04:29 PM

Ahh I wish I still had netflix access because I would love to watch this series!

MeIshCutie
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony of the Night View Post
Ahh I wish I still had netflix access because I would love to watch this series!
ahwwww.. what made you quit netflix? ^_^

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 PM

I just started watching this show with my BF last night we got to Chapter 3 before we headed to bed.

I'm really enjoying it so far. The acting from the child talent is just phenomenal. It's like if Stephen King had written the goonies. I find myself chomping at the bit to find out what happens next, but I must ignore that part of me for now because that would be mean to watch it with out him.

~

Being from Canada every other month I feel like I'm about to do away with my netflix sub because we get a lot less content for a larger price when compared to the american version. It's netflix originals like this that keep me subbed.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 08-04-2016, 11:41 PM

Nephila: The kids are one of the highlights I always tell people when I mention the show. They do such a good job portraying their characters. So many times child actors can either over or under act, but they felt so natural. The girl who played Eleven killed those emotionally tense scenes.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 08-05-2016, 01:40 AM

Completely.

I get to watch the next episodes Saturday with the bf finally. We've been busy all week.

CookieMonstahh
Ohai~ o3o

Old 10-06-2016, 11:19 AM

I've actually yet to watch this show, which is weird because I was on set for a few episodes, since my brother is one of the recurring kids at the school... xD so it's weird seeing everyone talk about it~ I need to watch it at some point >.>;;

Popcorn Gun
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Penpal

Old 10-14-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonstahh View Post
I've actually yet to watch this show, which is weird because I was on set for a few episodes, since my brother is one of the recurring kids at the school... xD so it's weird seeing everyone talk about it~ I need to watch it at some point >.>;;
Please do.
I second everything.
Just remember this...
Bard deserved better.

----

Also am I the only one whose favorite character is Dustin? He's such a good egg!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-18-2016, 11:48 PM

I loved this show, and Barb deserved ssooooooo much better

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 10-25-2016, 06:15 PM

I really enjoyed the show! It's right up my alley of creepy sci-fi, x-files esque, shows.

The story was really compelling and I really loved the little details and the way certain characters unfolded and grew into three dimensional things. Also the monster!!! I loved the monster, even as just a concept of things that go bump in the dark it was great, but then to see the actual thing was even better, it was beautifully creepy and just he right amount of disturbing.

mdom
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Stranger Things was amazing and to me it deserved all the hype it got. Great 80s references and a nice creepy story that didn't resort to gore or jumpscares all the time.
Also have you seen peanuts x stranger things xD it's so cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPpm-igsRE

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 12-01-2016, 03:14 AM

~LONGCAT~: I totally agree with the monster. Probably my favorite thing about it was they didn't reveal their whole hand too early. They took their time and showed you just enough to get you creeped out and interested so when the full reveal happened it had so much more impact. So many horror movies/shows need to sit down and take some notes.

Same can be applied to everything else about the writing. Like you pointed out, seeing the characters develop and grow in ways that made you rethink your initial reactions to them was one of the strengths of the show.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 12-30-2016, 12:50 PM

eagerly waiting/hoping for season two. it's been a long time since i liked a show this much, especially a live-action show, or felt so connected to and invested in the characters. especially especially child characters.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 01-20-2017, 06:10 AM

uncledaddy: The kids were so well written and acted! They felt like fully realized three dimensional characters which is so rare to find.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 01-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apicula View Post
uncledaddy: The kids were so well written and acted! They felt like fully realized three dimensional characters which is so rare to find.
exactly. and that chunky little twerp with the lisp, i need to adopt him.
child characters usually make me cringe; the acting is bad enough (which isn't surprising, i mean, they're kids) but their characters just feel like caricatures of children instead of actual, believable children. they're either little jesus angel babies who are innocent and too pure for this world and wise beyond their years, or they're snotty little pests in dire need of a good ass-whupping. it's nice to find child characters who actually bring to mind my own childhood experiences and mindset, and that of real children i've met.

Ignis
SUPERKICK!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 PM

I'm excited for season 2. Of course we have to wait until Halloween time for these type of shows.
But i'm eager to see what happens next :)

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 06-08-2017, 04:49 PM

The boyfriend and I really liked it.
We went to Comic Con and met Millie Bobby Brown. She was so sweet!
And British. I had no idea.

Ignis
SUPERKICK!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:15 PM

A lot of actors are british. So nowadays i'm not really at all surprised if they are or have different accents.

Consarn
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 AM

Man I can't WAIT for season 2.
Halloween still feels too far away.

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 09-14-2017, 03:14 AM

My friends and I are planning a viewing party for it and I cannot wait. We're debating whether or not we should make a pact to wait for Halloween in order to make it a costume party thing. Knowing us we won't be able to wait even that long though, so we're probably still going to watch it on the 27th.

Ignis
SUPERKICK!

Old 09-22-2017, 02:30 AM

I love halloween so much. I'm so excited !!

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 09-30-2017, 10:53 PM

I've been a long-time fan of Winona Ryder, and I like spooky shows, AND I'm an 80s child, so "Stranger Things" is right up my alley! I'm rewatching the series for the third time right now, in preparation of the sequel.

I wonder what the new season will bring? All I know that's been confirmed is that Barb will not come back the way Will did, and I think I saw a trailer or preview or something that shows Eleven still has a shaved head.

I think it's funny how the one little boy also starred as Richie in "It." These kids are all marvelous actors! I think they did a fantastic job at making everything seem authentic-80s, too. Those clothes and even the furniture in Will's house were such a nice piece of nostalgia!