Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-06-2014, 03:23 AM

So, crocheting. Anyone here on Mene crochet?

I'm trying to learn to crochet. I'm very close to finishing my first project. I'm rather happy with how its turning out. ^_^ I'm a little stuck at the moment, I need a tapestry needle to finish it. And I don't think I have enough yarn to start on anything else at the moment.

Anyone know a good beginners crochet project I can try next?

El5ee
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-09-2014, 10:54 PM

When I first started crocheting, I started with amigurumi dolls. That gave me a good basis with single crochet stitches. I also pretty quickly jumped into making blankets. My first blanket was a star shaped baby blanket! It was a good double crochet stitch project, and it works in-the-round, like an amigurumi project. I don't know if you've gotten into turning in a project, but it was kind of confusing for me when I first started out.

As for projects to try out, what are you looking to make? Blankets? Dolls? Bags?

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 AM

I went to the store and got a few skeins of this yarn in a lovely shade of mustard yellow. I'm debating between using it to try and make a cool scarf I saw on pintrest or going back and getting more of it to make a blanket with. Cant decide.

El5ee
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM

That's great! And the fall weather is just around the bend, so either one of those projects would be worthwhile.

Adain-chan
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Adain-chan

Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 AM

I did a lot of blankets when I was first starting out. Granny squares are pretty easy to make too and you can either sew them together to make a blanket or they can make good coasters or pot holders depending on the size you make them and the kind of yarn you use. Also they crochet up super fast so it's like instant gratification and they can be as simple or complex as you want to make them depending on your skill level. You can find whole pattern books devoted to them with endless variation.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM

I crochet too! I'm still a bit fumbly reading some patterns but I've gotten pretty good at "sculpting" little critters and things without patterns. :D

I think it's a good idea, when you're first starting out, to do a few smaller projects before tackling something that's going to take a long time. So I'd pick the scarf over the blanket, probably. :) I suffer from creative fatigue sometimes though and wind up not finishing huge projects, so that might just be a way to mitigate my personal failings. :)

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM

The scarf might be a little challenging for a beginner project. But what it is is you crochet up three skinny, long mini scarfs, and then loosely braid them together, and then stitch the ends together into a infinity scarf. But I kind of want to try to make it, it looks like a very cool scarf and it looks like it'd be warm too.

El5ee
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Kay, that sounds like a great idea! I never thought of that, but that sounds like an excellent scarf! I'm gonna have to try that one!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 AM

It does sound really neat. Hope you'll share pictures when you get to assembling it! :)

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM

I'll try to. I'm done with the first part of the scarf. I'm on the first row on the second part of it. Shouldn't take too long. The scarf is stitched in the double crochet stitch so it stitches up pretty quickly.

Karastorm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM

I've been doing crochet for a while now and gotten comfortable using long and hard stiches. I even wrote a small beginers guide to it on Gaia's forums.

Thing is I just love making toys out of the stuff that or simple hair accessory's like a nice rose or large flower that's then stitched free hand onto a hairband or bobble. It's supper fun and easy to learn from what I've discovered. Oh and if you want a real easy crochet pattern just look up afghan ( Tunisian) stlye crochet. It's quick to do and very simple to learn. No Sc ( single crochet, Double crochet or anything like that) to learn. Just a simple pick up x stiches keep them on the hook. Slip stich them all the way off and rinse and repeat on the new row.