PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-02-2023, 09:22 PM

Yeah, it's just sliced zucchini - maybe 1/4 inch thick? Dip in an egg mixture, then seasoned flour batter. Fry in oil, enjoy!

I don't think I've ever tried tofu, but I'm not against the idea. I just had no idea what to do with it, but I'll definitely have to try your trick, ghost!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 03-03-2023, 04:43 AM

i'll have to try your lemon juice! that sounds like it adds a nice pop of acidity. i really love tofu. big fan of all things soy, really!

---------- Post added 03-02-2023 at 11:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWEEP View Post
Yeah, it's just sliced zucchini - maybe 1/4 inch thick? Dip in an egg mixture, then seasoned flour batter. Fry in oil, enjoy!

I don't think I've ever tried tofu, but I'm not against the idea. I just had no idea what to do with it, but I'll definitely have to try your trick, ghost!
ok i'm needing this fried zucchini with some fried mushrooms right NOW. i used to get that at the diner when i lived in North Carolina, such big comfort food.

oo if you've never had tofu before, start with tofu puffs! they're sold at most supermarkets and asian markets, and you can just eat them right out of the package. they're slightly sweet, and really fluffy. they're fried, but after being in the package it just gets really bready and pillowy.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-04-2023, 05:05 AM

I have such a weird aversion to unique textures that Tofu has always terrified me. But I also want to try it at the same time

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-04-2023, 04:58 PM

Next time I get to the city I'll have to look around. The only supermarkets near here is a Walmart, and a Hanson's (which is a locally owned business) and I go to both frequently enough to know those are not sold there. Those two are about 20 minutes away, and the closest city that may have it is around 45 minutes away. There may be an asian market somewhere, but I haven't looked for one just yet. Festival Foods has a large variety though; they might have it. I live in a 'town' of 456 people, spread across ten miles. The neighboring town is unincorporated, so their population is counted with ours.

I've heard fried tofu is nice and crispy, which is a texture I enjoy - I just haven't a clue what it actually tastes like!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 03-04-2023, 05:46 PM

oh wow, you're a small town girl!! then i can't suggest going to a sushi place either it honestly kinda tastes like nothing lol, it really just absorbs the flavor of whatever you put with it.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-04-2023, 06:04 PM

Livin' in a lonely world I'm not taking the midnight train, though. I do like sushi, actually! I haven't tried a lot of it, but the spicy cream cheese roll is *chef's kiss*. They recently built a Hy-Vee in the aforementioned city, which is remarkable - to me, anyway. They have everything; it's like a mini mall! A grocery section, liquor store, tea shop, nail salon, sushi and salad bar, and other things I can't remember. I've only been there once, but I didn't get any sushi since I was headed to the movie theater right after and didn't want it sitting in the car for a couple hours. I did buy a bunch of asian candy though - pocky, yanyan, hello panda candies.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-05-2023, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Next time I get to the city I'll have to look around. The only supermarkets near here is a Walmart, and a Hanson's (which is a locally owned business) and I go to both frequently enough to know those are not sold there. Those two are about 20 minutes away, and the closest city that may have it is around 45 minutes away. There may be an asian market somewhere, but I haven't looked for one just yet. Festival Foods has a large variety though; they might have it. I live in a 'town' of 456 people, spread across ten miles. The neighboring town is unincorporated, so their population is counted with ours.

I've heard fried tofu is nice and crispy, which is a texture I enjoy - I just haven't a clue what it actually tastes like!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
oh wow, you're a small town girl!! then i can't suggest going to a sushi place either it honestly kinda tastes like nothing lol, it really just absorbs the flavor of whatever you put with it.
Oh crispie is not a bad texture, that leaves me a bit more hopeful. It always looks so spongy in the package!

I also live in a small down, but I don't think ours is quite that small, closer to 1000 I think.

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 03-05-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Livin' in a lonely world I'm not taking the midnight train, though. I do like sushi, actually! I haven't tried a lot of it, but the spicy cream cheese roll is *chef's kiss*. They recently built a Hy-Vee in the aforementioned city, which is remarkable - to me, anyway. They have everything; it's like a mini mall! A grocery section, liquor store, tea shop, nail salon, sushi and salad bar, and other things I can't remember. I've only been there once, but I didn't get any sushi since I was headed to the movie theater right after and didn't want it sitting in the car for a couple hours. I did buy a bunch of asian candy though - pocky, yanyan, hello panda candies.
doooon't stop! belieeeevin!! that sounds like it was a fun trip, and a really neat mall! i love those candies the hello panda ones are so cute. and yesss cream cheese rolls are everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora View Post
Oh crispie is not a bad texture, that leaves me a bit more hopeful. It always looks so spongy in the package!

I also live in a small down, but I don't think ours is quite that small, closer to 1000 I think.
it's still pretty spongy in the middle, but if you slice it thin enough you can make it like crisps. you have to cook it just right though, because it can get chewy. but if you get it right, it can have crisp brown crunchy edges with a silky pudding-like middle

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-05-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
it's still pretty spongy in the middle, but if you slice it thin enough you can make it like crisps. you have to cook it just right though, because it can get chewy. but if you get it right, it can have crisp brown crunchy edges with a silky pudding-like middle
I should see if I know anyone who knows how to cook it. If I try to cook it myself I'll likely screw it up and be put off forever

ReiyukaE
(◎_◎;)

Old 03-05-2023, 05:35 PM

Haha, there's absolutely a chance of that, Cora. The first time I tried it, ages ago, I -really- thought I hated it because it was just without any flavour. So it's probably a good idea to try it at an asian food shop or something, and then see how you feel about it then.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 03-07-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Just stopping in to say your list of things to talk about made me giggle
LOL I'm a serious nerd, I know!
Quote:
My stepmother did that by accident the first year of our garden She thought she got a bunch of green bell peppers, but it turns out some of them were jalapenos. My brother and I are the only ones who like spicy stuff; no one else does. So we dared each other to eat them raw and whole. I got three down; he got four, so he won So she still grows a couple plants for us, even a habanero plant and chili peppers too!
Oh my gosh you're a champ!! I couldn't do it! My eyes water at just the thought of hot foods lol

SORRY FOR DISAPPEARING BEST PALS! It's been a hectic last couple weeks and I've been exhausted, curled up with a book ignoring everything social haha!

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-07-2023, 07:43 PM

I've heard of people drying the tofu out overnight, or using a tofu press or something, then lightly battering it and frying it. That sounds more my speed.

Also, welcome back!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-08-2023, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiyukaE View Post
Haha, there's absolutely a chance of that, Cora. The first time I tried it, ages ago, I -really- thought I hated it because it was just without any flavour. So it's probably a good idea to try it at an asian food shop or something, and then see how you feel about it then.
Oh I hadn't considered going to an Asian shop, that's a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
LOL I'm a serious nerd, I know!Oh my gosh you're a champ!! I couldn't do it! My eyes water at just the thought of hot foods lol

I'll let you in on a not so secret secret.......so am I

Quote:
Originally Posted by R a n d e h View Post
SORRY FOR DISAPPEARING BEST PALS! It's been a hectic last couple weeks and I've been exhausted, curled up with a book ignoring everything social haha!
This seems to be the general state of everyone the last couple weeks, so its all good! Welcome back!

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 03-08-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Also, welcome back!
Thank you!!
Quote:
I'll let you in on a not so secret secret.......so am I

This seems to be the general state of everyone the last couple weeks, so its all good! Welcome back!
LOL Nerds FTW!

Thank you!! This time of year really sucks haha. I can't wait for cold drinks on the warm patio!

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-08-2023, 09:17 PM

Winter sucks We're getting a storm tomorrow evening into Friday as well. 4-6 inches of snow, so it's not as bad as we're used to, but it'll be right at freezing level so I expect more icy rain/sleet than actual snow, which is always so fun to drive in.

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 03-09-2023, 02:39 PM

Our weather sounds very similar! We have been getting warmer weather lately though that has been quite lovely! (Warmer being like between -10C to -1C LOL)

I hate winter driving! Cleaning my car off, warming it up, driving extra slow, worried about how other people are driving lol

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-10-2023, 10:42 PM

I always take the back roads, no matter the weather. It's just what I'm used to. I despise interstate driving, even if it's a nice day.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-11-2023, 01:04 AM

Where I live there is no such thing as not taking back roads, I live in the middle of nowhere. Gotta watch out for the wildlife though, there is so much on my travels to work. In the summer its something I love about the drive, in the winter its just one more factor

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-13-2023, 10:43 PM

Oh, yeah, I understand that completely. I see a couple deer every drive in and out of work; amongst other animals: squirrels, raccoons, and the like. Thankfully I've never wrecked a vehicle by hitting a deer before. I did tap one once unfortunately; broke one of my headlights but no dents, and the doe got up and scampered away. It takes longer for me to drive to the interstate than it does to just turn right by my apartment complex and take the curvy back ways anyway.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-14-2023, 01:25 AM

I tapped a deer once too. I had stopped for him, and when he got to the other side I took my foot off the brake(I had not even started to hit the gas yet) when he decided he actually wanted to be back where he started. I knocked him over but he scampered off. It dented my hood a tish but I still drove it another 2 years >.>

R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 03-14-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I always take the back roads, no matter the weather. It's just what I'm used to. I despise interstate driving, even if it's a nice day.
LOL My mom does this too and we make fun of her for it ;)!

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-15-2023, 12:37 AM

@Cora
That's why my favorite comedy bit is by Ron White, in which he describes his buddy talking about how he was hunting all morning, camouflaged at 4am and sniped a buck with a rifle, then Ron says something oh yeah well I hit one with a van at 55 miles an hour with headlights on and horn blowing.

@Randeh
You get a truck trailing a popup camper in front of you then have the roof of said camper fly off towards your vehicle while driving 65 miles an hour, and you're in the slow lane. There's cars on in the other lane driving even faster so you can't go that way. Three options are given: slam on the brakes and pray the roof doesn't hit you, pull some Nascar move, or flee for the guardrail. Thankfully the car in the fast lane also saw it happening, pulled farther aside so I could squeeze in and avoid getting hit. No one was hurt or hit - but I imagine that driver/family had a hell of a time camping without the roof of their camper, since they didn't notice and kept on driving!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-15-2023, 11:49 PM

Quote:
@Cora
That's why my favorite comedy bit is by Ron White, in which he describes his buddy talking about how he was hunting all morning, camouflaged at 4am and sniped a buck with a rifle, then Ron says something oh yeah well I hit one with a van at 55 miles an hour with headlights on and horn blowing.

Have you ever heard the radio skit.....I can't remember who it was by at the moment about the deer crossing signs? How they should remove them because the deer cant cross safely there?

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 03-17-2023, 08:37 PM

Haha, no, I don't think I have! I'll have to look it up! That's hilarious

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 03-18-2023, 12:18 PM

Yes, yes you should. I never laughed so hard in my life