Lilith W
  • Challenge Lilith W in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM

I personally read very little science fiction (my grandma loves it though) but I do read a whole lot of fantasy.

I'm currently reading Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz.
It is kind of a horror book but with twists of the "other"

Knerd

Assistant Administrator
  • Challenge Knerd in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robard View Post

Am enjoying being out of school and able to follow up on book recommendations.

I just finished Time Powers' The Anubis Gates, which was great fun! Time travel, magic, monsters, Byron... what's not to like?
Ah! How did I miss this post before?

The Anubis Gates is one of my all time favorite books. The plot is amazingly well crafted - There were many times that I would actually gasp while reading it, just because all the details would finally come together and it would blow my mind. I adore this novel.

Titania
  • Challenge Titania in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:03 PM

speaking of scifi, i'm totally watching x-men right now.
the shame. XD

but i do want to watch my dune and children of dune miniseries dvds now, thanks to you guys. |D
actually, i really want to read the books, but our local half price books have multiples of every dune book except the first one. ;_;

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM

You know, I've never seen the film Dune. But I've heard amazing things about it.
Including the fact that you won't understand a damned thing unless you've read the book first. :lol:

KaoKitty
  • Challenge KaoKitty in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM

Yay! Found the thread!
I think the most I've read of sci-fi is one Star Trek book and it was good

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-25-2010, 07:23 PM

Star Trek is usually good. That franchise tends to put out high quality merchandise. :yes:

Titania

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM

i have yet to see the dune movie.
i keep eyeing it every time i go to b&n.
it looks like it focuses on the sand worms more than the miniseries do, which i'm sorta excited about.

star trekkkkk. <3
i have too much love for it.
especially the new movies, omg. /dies

KaoKitty
  • Challenge KaoKitty in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Oh I love the movie!! It made me want to watch the original. I was able to get 5 Star Trek books for 10 cents each at a thrift store. it was awesome

KidK Mirai
  • Challenge KidK Mirai in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM

*wanders back onto the this thread* Oh! This being a place for fantasy recommendations too, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series! Which is made of brilliant fantasy and humor win at the same time. Pratchett basically takes the tropes of fantasy literature and subverts or parodies them, and in doing so has created his own unique and interesting world. A cool thing about the series, too, is that you don't have to read all 30+ books--if you like certain characters or sets of characters more than others, there are subsets within the series you can focus on!

tirethminet
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet
  • Challenge tirethminet in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 PM

five books for 50 cents? o____o;;
that's exciting. i've never read any star trek books, though.

and now that x-men has ended, i'm watching star trek tng. DAY OF NERDITY.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Which Discworld books would you recommend?
I've always wanted to start the series, but there are so many! What's a good novel to pick up first?

tirethminet
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet
  • Challenge tirethminet in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

ooooh, discworld. i have a few of them, but i haven't opened them yet. ;_;
i really have to get back into reading more. D:

Wonder Woman
  • Challenge Wonder Woman in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Already in love with this thread. :heart: I'll start with the obvious and mention The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams was such an engaging storyteller and an overall charismatic person.

KidK Mirai
  • Challenge KidK Mirai in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM

My favorites of the Discworld series are "Mort" and "Reaper Man" (I think the idea of the personification of Death being a very nice if strange skeleton man is just GREAT).

As a first book I'd recommend starting from the very beginning with "The Color of Magic" and "The Light Fantastic" (those two actually tell one story together so you need to read both!). But it really just depends. If you happen to like mysteries a lot, I'd recommend the Watch subset of books, and that starts with "Guards! Guards!" If you're into magic and such, "Equal Rites" or "Wyrd Sisters" can be a good beginning. =] Really ANY of the oldest books in the series can be a decent starting point for getting into the Discworld universe.

Titania

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 PM

OHMYGOD.
i forgot to mention.
it's towel day today.

thanks for reminding me, wonder woman. XD

Flis
  • Challenge Flis in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Outrageous fortune is a good book.
It's sort of a sci-fi comedy, and as the title suggests it's the plot is completly crazy.

mathwl1020
  • Challenge mathwl1020 in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM

alright, as I promised earlier, here is a list of fantasy books that are pretty good.

Eragon/Eldest/Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
This book series follows the boy Eragon as he fights alongside his dragon and cousin, in an attempt to overthrow the evil emperor, galbatorix.

Dragonlance Chronicles by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman
This book series is about the world of krynn. (the series is so long, there's not much else I can say)

and I forget what others I was going to recommend, but oh well.

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM

Hello fellow readers!

I actually just went on a trip up to Portland to visit Powell's, so I've been immersed in books all weekend, which has been great. Also, I had the immense good fortune to get to hear Ursula K, Le Guin speak and she signed one of my books! (I got so overwhelmed, I totally cried like an idiot, haha.) She is hands down my favorite sci-fi/fantasy writer of all time.

Aside from that, I'm currently powering through American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is freaking great so far. ^__^

RisikaFox
  • Challenge RisikaFox in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Ahhh, Fantasy. Probably my favorite genre. ^^ I especially love Tamora Pierce's works. I really need to make time for reading again. Dx And I'm so lost on my booklist, that I don't think I'm going to bother updating it, haha... :sweat: But I'm pretty sure I've already passed my 50 book challenge. *whoo*

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM

Oh, I love Tamora Pierce's work too. I never read the Circle of Magic ones, but I adored the Alana quartet and the Immortals quartet.

RisikaFox

Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Yes, Alanna's world is an intriguing one. I really liked the Trickster series best though, I think.

The Circle of Magic series is okay, but the first set is definitely the best. The new(3rd) set, is kind of lacking something though. :/

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM

Oh, I forgot about the Trickster books. I never got around to reading those ones, because I was moving away from YA when they were first coming out, although I think I want to get back into YA again.

Lunna Dea
Send a message via Yahoo to Lunna Dea
  • Challenge Lunna Dea in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
Hello fellow readers!

I actually just went on a trip up to Portland to visit Powell's, so I've been immersed in books all weekend, which has been great. Also, I had the immense good fortune to get to hear Ursula K, Le Guin speak and she signed one of my books! (I got so overwhelmed, I totally cried like an idiot, haha.) She is hands down my favorite sci-fi/fantasy writer of all time.

Aside from that, I'm currently powering through American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is freaking great so far. ^__^
and I wounder how many on here actually know what Powell's is. Is it not the Best book store around? sadly there are a few books they STILL dont have.
Neil Gaiman is such a great author, have your HEARD him read his Grave Yard book? he has it online and he is SO good.

RisikaFox

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM

@Chexala: Oooh, if you haven't read the Trickster books yet, does that mean you've also not read any of the Beka Cooper books? That series isn't finished yet, I don't think, and it's written in a different style(diary-style) than Pierce usually uses, but I think they're awesome. ^^

Gypsea: Powell's? Is that a large chain of bookstores? Or more of a local thing? O.o *has not heard of it)

Lunna Dea
Send a message via Yahoo to Lunna Dea
  • Challenge Lunna Dea in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisikaFox View Post
@Chexala: Oooh, if you haven't read the Trickster books yet, does that mean you've also not read any of the Beka Cooper books? That series isn't finished yet, I don't think, and it's written in a different style(diary-style) than Pierce usually uses, but I think they're awesome. ^^

Gypsea: Powell's? Is that a large chain of bookstores? Or more of a local thing? O.o *has not heard of it)
Beka is ONE of her bast charactors yet.
and Powell's the the worlds largest book store, four city blocks.