Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:24 PM

@Gypsea: Is Powell's the largest in the world? I thought it was just the largest independent bookstore. Either way though, it's freaking awesome. Dangerous to your checkbook though!

@Risika: No, I haven't read those either, or heard of them even. I take it they're good?

RisikaFox
  • Challenge RisikaFox in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM

@Gypsea: Yes, Beka is probably my favorite character, aside from George.

O.O Daaamn... Lucky people who live close enough to go. I was so think Portland, ME. xD But nooo, it's in Oregon. >.< I could have made the trip to Maine, but that's too far away.

@Chex: Yes, they're really, really good. ^^ I <3 them. In fact, I might just have to go reread them now, haha.

tirethminet
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet
  • Challenge tirethminet in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM

neil gaimannnnn. <3
i haven't worked up the nerve to read american gods yet, it looks a little... realistic?
realistic fiction and i don't do well. XD

omg, powell's. don't make me drool.
but austin has several indie businesses, so i can't complain.
especially one of the best comic stores i've been in. 8D

Lunna Dea
Send a message via Yahoo to Lunna Dea
  • Challenge Lunna Dea in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisikaFox View Post
Yes, Beka is probably my favorite character, aside from George.

O.O Daaamn... Lucky people who live close enough to go. I was so think Portland, ME. xD But nooo, it's in Oregon. >.< I could have made the trip to Maine, but that's too far away.
so sorry. they have this piller in the sci-fi room that is signed by TON'S of authors. af of course she is just as good as her great great however many Great grand son. that is part of the reason I like her.
by the way it is Powll's claim that it is the largest in the world, weather that is true or not.... who cares.

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:29 PM

@Risika: Nice. I think I'm going to get back to reading once my power hour runs out. ^__^

@tirethminet: Oh, I recommend it! I'm only seven chapters in, but already I totally love it. True, it's set in contemporary American, but there have been lots of little side stories from different times, and there is a ton of fantastical stuff going on all the time too.

@Gypsea: Haha, exactly. It's a fantastic bookstore regardless. I was there all weekend, and I barely scratched the surface of what they have to offer. (Although they actually didn't have one of the books I wanted, and I shocked! Then again, it might have just not been restocked yet, since they had the others in the trilogy.)

Last edited by Chexala; 05-25-2010 at 09:32 PM..

RisikaFox

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM

That's it. One day, I'm taking a trip to Oregon. Just to see this amazing god of bookstores. xD

Titania
  • Challenge Titania in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM

bah, it's probably the same way my city claims to be the live music capital of the world. XD

fantastical stuff? liiiiiiike?
i don't think i have many books that aren't fantasy or scifi. XD
(or if i do, i didn't like them.)

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM

@Titania: Well, thus far, of all the characters I've met, only two worth mentioning were human, and one of them is the protagonist; the rest of the characters have all been gods. Also, a dead person came back to life. And a raven spoke. And a man got swallowed whole by a woman's... ahem... lower bits. So yeah, stuff like that.

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
@Risika: Nice. I think I'm going to get back to reading once my power hour runs out. ^__^

@tirethminet: Oh, I recommend it! I'm only seven chapters in, but already I totally love it. True, it's set in contemporary American, but there have been lots of little side stories from different times, and there is a ton of fantastical stuff going on all the time too.

@Gypsea: Haha, exactly. It's a fantastic bookstore regardless. I was there all weekend, and I barely scratched the surface of what they have to offer. (Although they actually didn't have one of the books I wanted, and I shocked! Then again, it might have just not been restocked yet, since they had the others in the trilogy.)
oh no they have a habit of not having some books.... it all depends on what people bring in. they still have not got L.J.Smiths frist book in the Forbidden game. and that came out in 95

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM

@Gypsea: Hmm, interesting. They have such a mix of new and used books though, I'd have thought that they would have a copy of this particular book, since they had both new and used copies of the rest, and even a couple other editions that I had never seen before. <shurg> Not that it really matters though; if you can't find one books, there's always the whole rest of the store to pick from, haha.

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
@Gypsea: Hmm, interesting. They have such a mix of new and used books though, I'd have thought that they would have a copy of this particular book, since they had both new and used copies of the rest, and even a couple other editions that I had never seen before. <shurg> Not that it really matters though; if you can't find one books, there's always the whole rest of the store to pick from, haha.
so true... which is why though I live in Portland don't go there that often. no money and I would spend what I had.

tirethminet

Old 05-25-2010, 09:44 PM

i guess i have to read it, then, chexala. XDDD
that sounds a little obnoxious.
but first, i have to go through my books that i currently have and haven't read yet. which is a lot. :/

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

@Gypsea: Yep. I had to really exercise my restraint and self control while I was there, and I still ended up spending $100.

@tirethminet: Fair enough, haha.

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisikaFox View Post
That's it. One day, I'm taking a trip to Oregon. Just to see this amazing god of bookstores. xD
oh you must. we love weird people here.

RisikaFox

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 PM

Hahaha... My dad just said the same thing, actually. Said I'd be right at home. xD

Titania

Old 05-25-2010, 09:49 PM

WEIRD PEOPLE?
should i visit, then, as well?
or bring my entire city. this place is ridiculous.

Chexala

Penpal

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Well, I gotta get going. I'm moving at the end of the month, and I gotta get packed, yikes! (And gotta read all my new books, haha.)

I'll talk to you all later.

Titania

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 PM

good luck on moving!
i know how insane it is. D:

ShatteredAngel
  • Challenge ShatteredAngel in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM

~Drops by just to say hi and glomps Knerd~

Knerd!! It's been so long!!

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 PM

there are alot of bumber stickers that say "keep Portland weird" and I can walk down the street dressed in costume and no one cares.

tirethminet

Old 05-25-2010, 10:10 PM

... that's the tagline of austin's indie stores. except it's "keep austin weird".
they should be sister cities. XD
and... it's not unheard of to see someone strangely dressed walking about the city.

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirethminet View Post
... that's the tagline of austin's indie stores. except it's "keep austin weird".
they should be sister cities. XD
and... it's not unheard of to see someone strangely dressed walking about the city.
steampunk meet up once a month. ton's of SCA.... but I do believe we have wondered off the topic of this thread.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator
  • Challenge Knerd in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredAngel View Post
~Drops by just to say hi and glomps Knerd~

Knerd!! It's been so long!!
Hello!

It has been a while, hasn't it? The last time I talked with you was probably the last event.

Lunna Dea

Old 05-25-2010, 11:30 PM

hello you, I have been wondering if I had killed the thread

Knerd

Assistant Administrator
  • Challenge Knerd in the Arcade

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM

Not at all - Real life called to me for a little while. :lol: