Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM

In the first post, shadow, jelly's talking about moving some of the charities.

I don't know how I'd feel about my charity being moved.
I'm open to just about anyone BUT I've also got contests for people who've had accounts for a certain amount of time.

Also, I think the Fresh Meat forum has a lot of learning going on for some newbies and putting the charities in there might lead to a lot of begging or just make running a charity in that forum harder.

And I forgot what else I was going to say. I may come back if I remember. :o

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM

I think it is a good idea! ^_^

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
*stares at 3 year-ish account* I'll just shut my face now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora Lorington View Post
yeah, I am a two year-ish, so I too will back out. I could pose this issue with my charity people if you want?
Don't be silly, you two. I meant, "I would also/and perhaps particularly like to hear from new people because they're the ones who most recently went through Fresh Meat as a new user and would know what was nice or intimidating about signing up recently."

:P

Game Master
The Game Show Host with the Most

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM

Just adding my two and a half cents, I think the idea of having the Fresh Meat section redone to include the charities for new members is a good idea. Not sure how I feel about having a thread in here and there for those who cater towards both groups. Seems like a lot of whole on the owners. But, I think it would be helpful in slowly getting new members to start posting in other forums besides Fresh Meat.

Birthday Brigade
Retired Charity Mule

Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Can we rename the forum to "The Welcome Wagon?" xD

/shot

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Seconding "The Welcome Wagon" suggestion.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 PM

xD Am I the only one that thinks its cute to call that section Fresh Meat?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Don't be silly, you two. I meant, "I would also/and perhaps particularly like to hear from new people because they're the ones who most recently went through Fresh Meat as a new user and would know what was nice or intimidating about signing up recently."

:P
lols, I know, I just like being a pain in the butt xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbled Lore View Post
Seconding "The Welcome Wagon" suggestion.
I think welcome wagon is cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
xD Am I the only one that thinks its cute to call that section Fresh Meat?
I do think fresh meat is cute.....but it can also come off as intimidateing. Like fresh targets so to say. Which is not something we want to portray. This is in my experience, the most welcomeing site to new users then any other site. Old users are just as friendly to new users as they are to the old. At least this has been my experience. Other sites make you feel outcasted.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 AM

o.o I think its a tad overthinking to think that it might intimidate people. But that's just me.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 AM

You guys have brought up some interesting points, particularly about the potential for begging : /

Honestly, I've seen a lot of O.o faces at being "fresh meat". But the main reason for wanting to change it is so it's more obvious to new people where they need to go.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Begging is another concern to keep in mind. It does seem like asking for begging, having Charities be one of the first things a new person is invited to look at. @3@;

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 AM

That certainly is a valid point.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM

It would be nice if we could have some newbie-specific hangouts for newbies to mingle, but who would make it, who would maintain it, and we don't have enough newbies for such a thing. I think.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 AM

If people want to create a hangout in FM to help out and welcome new people then they're fully welcome to do that.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 AM

I'm not sure how much it would help, though. Given the choice, people would probably go for Charities rather than hangouts. XD;;

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-30-2010, 01:56 AM

I think anything to make FM seem more welcoming would help.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 AM

:o Maybe. But who would make/organize it?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 AM

Whoever wanted to.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM

I'd be willing to step up to the plate and create a newbie hangout. Is that something that can be done in FM right now or would I have to wait for the changes to be made to FM?

Begging may not be a problem if you have charity owners who stick by their rules. Crow is definitely someone whose charity I see benefiting FM; the new users only get a starter dress and they only have to make five posts and fill out the form to get it but Crow makes everyone play by the rules. Form incorrectly filled out? No item. Simple as that.

You need charity owners who will stick to their guns, so to speak.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Well I dont usually put it so bluntly but I too am a stickler for rules.

I'll have people asking for items and I gently tell them that they need to post with us and make friends for 10 posts before they get there items.

I hmmm....I feel like I should offer to make that thread.....and yet.....I dont want to make another thread to maintain. At least with new peoples threads I frequent I can ignore them a couples days without them getting mad T.T

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
So guys, we're trying to find ways to make Fresh Meat less of a tumbleweed-ridden wasteland, it's not exactly very welcoming for new users in there! What would make it more active would be a larger variety of threads, not just ones created by the new guys.

Don't the current Fresh Meat forum rules state that - [only new users] - can make - [one] - thread there - [solely to introduce] - [their "main" account] - and that thread is - [to be dead, or locked, after two weeks]????

This is my understanding of that forum's rules since I joined almost three years ago.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM

I understand it to be that they want to change this because if they can't make the FM forum more active then there's no point in having it but we need a starting point for new users. How many older users really take the time to greet people in FM? It seems like it's the same group of people anytime I'm in there.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM

right, I imagine a change in that rule will be taking place in order to achieve a major overhaul

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I remember this from the announcements :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
So to summarise!

If you're going to greet new users in Fresh Meat, please don't post links at them unless they have asked for help.

If we see people persisting in posting impersonal, cookie cutter messages such as:

Quote:
Hi _______ Welcome to Menewsha!

Be sure to read this [link] and this [link]
We may be forced to give you a spam infraction, and we REALLY don't want to have to do that!

And decided to stay out of the Fresh Meat forum after that.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 PM

What jelly was tring to acheive was chatter with them. Many users where going into the fresh meat, posting the same message over and over again (reguardless if they changed the wording slightly) and never really getting to greet the users for real.

She's trying to acheive the same thing here.