ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Why yes, Sexy does indeed go anywhere in the universe... and occasionally outside it, but that's quite another matter.

How is everyone? I just made cookies and caught up on Doctor Who (and Game of Thrones) and then, as I noticed I had e-mails from Mene, I decided to pop back in for a bit. Feeling strangely social and energetic these days.. must be the spring in the air :)

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Pat! It's been so long, I thought you'd fallen off the map.

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM

Biggles! :D Nearly! Haha, moved countries, wallowed in misery over anxiety and joblessness (read: anti-social to the extreme), but am feeling much more hopeful, and social, now that the smell of spring is here :) How have you been?

---------- Post added 04-15-2013 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also I still hate Moffat with a passion but am up to date on DW. I want rid of Moffat and someone actually good and not sexist to be head writer. ;___;

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Yeah, I've been... yeah. I suppose *pretty* well in the grand scope of things.
Went to england last year, may go back in a couple of months.
Where are you living now? Back in Iceland?

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 PM

/creeps in

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post
Yeah, I've been... yeah. I suppose *pretty* well in the grand scope of things.
Went to england last year, may go back in a couple of months.
Where are you living now? Back in Iceland?
Oh, nice! Whereabouts in England did you go? And I moved to Stockholm with my partner, it's nice here and it was super easy for me to get into the system with my Icelandic passport.. partner is having serious problems with it though (French passport), and the unemployment rate here is seriously high, so ugh jobs ugh.

Hello Natas!

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM

@ljos:
Merry Meet!
How are you fairing?

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Pretty good! I made yummy cookies earlier and caught up on Doctor Who and Game of Thrones, so I'm quite content now! :) Haven't been on here in.... months and years and decades it feels like. How about you?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM

hello, nice to meet you.

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Hello hummy! How are you doing? Your avatar is incredibly adorable.. what's that button nose from? :3

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM

[State: Content] [Emotion: Joyous]
I am well!
[Redacted]
[State: Curious]
Why where you go for so long?

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Glad to hear it!
Eh, I tend to take extended breaks from things I like, mostly cause I'm too interested in other things. If I like them enough, like Menewsha, which I've been on almost since the beginning but with a few AWOL periods, I'll usually return when I get bored of the things that drew me away in the first place. :)

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM

[State: Understanding]
I tend to be the same
But I often forget what my password or email was for the site
[Redacted]

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Yeah.. I've had the same e-mail for so many years though, so if my browser has forgotten the password for it I can always ask for a new one. :) Unless it's so old it's still on my non-functioning hotmail address, in which case.. well. I don't know. It hasn't happened for so long :P Either they were crappy websites I was visiting as a mopey teenager or they're closed already.

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM

I use Gmail for everything now
It to convent not to.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post
Oh, nice! Whereabouts in England did you go? And I moved to Stockholm with my partner, it's nice here and it was super easy for me to get into the system with my Icelandic passport.. partner is having serious problems with it though (French passport), and the unemployment rate here is seriously high, so ugh jobs ugh.

I was in Cornwall. There was some time in London, too.
Ah, I've been wanting to go to Sweden. It looks like it would be a delight in summer. Speaking of summer, mightn't the job market pick up about then, what with the tourist season?

ljosberinn

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM

Sweet. I've not been to Cornwall but I wanted to go while I was in the country. It seems a really beautiful place.
Sweden is lovely. I've just been here during the autumn and winter, and while I've never experienced such cold temperatures before (-20°C), I thought it was a really gorgeous winter.. so much snow and frost made for the most gorgeous walks around the neighbourhood. :) I reckon summer will be lovely too though! And yeah, hoping job market will pick up a bit.. just had my flatmate print out a few copies of my cv, gonna go for a walk around town soon and hand them out. And partner got a summer job already as a tour guide, doesn't start till May but that's pretty close. We'll just have to hang in there and live on cheap food for a little bit longer!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 01:18 AM

Hey ljos, been a while since I saw you on Mene! I thought tumblr was doing a good job of keeping me up to date on how things are with you, but I completely missed that you moved, so apparently I'm not being very thorough in going through my dash.

I agree, I look forward to when Moffat is done. :/ The sexism's bad enough on its own, but to add insult to injury, he doesn't even know how to... I don't know, write a good story? It's all "FLASH! BANG! SHINY! WHAT'S GOING ON? WHAT'S GOING ON, YOU ASK, WELL IT'S GOING TO BE BIG. EXPLOSION! here's a really dumb and uninspired answer" It's like the show takes itself too seriously now. The whole point of Doctor Who is that it can't take itself too seriously because it's kind of a silly show. And yet I still watch excitedly every week. And then I complain about it. and watch again next week.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post

Hello hummy! How are you doing? Your avatar is incredibly adorable.. what's that button nose from? :3

the halloween event rare
it's a monster i think is the name

ljosberinn

Old 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Hey ljos, been a while since I saw you on Mene! I thought tumblr was doing a good job of keeping me up to date on how things are with you, but I completely missed that you moved, so apparently I'm not being very thorough in going through my dash.

I agree, I look forward to when Moffat is done. :/ The sexism's bad enough on its own, but to add insult to injury, he doesn't even know how to... I don't know, write a good story? It's all "FLASH! BANG! SHINY! WHAT'S GOING ON? WHAT'S GOING ON, YOU ASK, WELL IT'S GOING TO BE BIG. EXPLOSION! here's a really dumb and uninspired answer" It's like the show takes itself too seriously now. The whole point of Doctor Who is that it can't take itself too seriously because it's kind of a silly show. And yet I still watch excitedly every week. And then I complain about it. and watch again next week.
Haha well I tend to reblog mostly so I'm not surprised :P But yeah it was back in August that we moved. It's been lovely, ridiculously cold, but plenty of snow so it's been gorgeous too. Right now we're having the third GRAY day in a row.. like wow. So gray. But snow is mostly melted and rain is always a huge part of spring so meh.

Ugh YES exactly. It's all "YOU'RE IMPOSSIBLE" (haven't we heard that before? In fact, I feel like he keeps recycling ideas? And it's like.. some of it may just be a little nod to older episodes but it's starting to feel like.. too much?) and "WHAT ARE YOU!?" and like, sure, a little mystery is fine, but when you can't actually think up a really epic answer, DO NOT SPEND a whole season building up to a super epic answer because it's just gonna be a huge disappointment. Actually don't even spend a whole episode because that's constantly what he tries to do and it just fails.

I dunno.

I thought the internet episode was kinda clever, but... [spoilers for the current season]X

I just thought the whole idea was way too similar to the one where Rose and others get stuck inside the TVs for the Queen's Jubilee. And parts of it reminded me of the first Torchwood - the whole huge tower landmark hiding secret powerful company. I thought parts of it were good but on the whole it was a bit.. meh. And it's pretty much the same with most of Moffat era episodes. And the Queen of Years episode was like.. oh wow eating all of the Doctor's memories? NO HERE IS A LEAF FROM AN IMPOSSIBLE PERSON like... what?

I've only fairly recently gotten my partner into watching DW with me and he keeps having to tell me to shut up with my Moffat-complaints xP

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Ohhh, back in August? I probably did see that, then, and just forgot.

Bleh, gray days. We're having one right now too. But all the plants are starting to come up, so at least it's looking a little green out there, too. I can't stand those late winter days when it's just gray and brown. I never feel like doing anything on those days because of how dull it is outside.

Current season spoilersX

Yeah, it reminded me of The Idiot Box too! Just like a modernized version. And the leaf thing definitely didn't make sense. It had potential because her mom died young? What about every person in the Doctor's memories who had died young?

The BIG SUPER QUESTION arc for each season is definitely annoying. I really miss RTD. There were some stinky episodes under his watch, but at least they never took themselves seriously. They were just fun.

ljosberinn

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 PM

Hehe exactly, not expecting everyone to remember details from my life like that xP I keep confusing people together on my tumblr too, and have enough trouble remember what I've been doing myself, so I don't expect others to remember stuff I've written. ^^

Strangely enough, the gray days aren't affecting my mood at all! It's really weird cause usually the weather has a massive influence on my mood, but these days I've been in constant happy mode! I'm slightly worried I'm gonna come crashing down at some point, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. :) And my freshly dyed hair plus colourful wool locks make my days constantly colourful!

Moar current season spoilersX

Yeah, right? Also it was so ridiculously predictable. Like.. this is the BIG TWIST and you could see it coming from pretty much the start of the episode. As soon as you saw that was the leaf in her book, and that she took her book with her. And yeah, a bunch of people in the Doctor's memories died young.

I thought RTD was so good with the whole-season story arcs. I loved his really vague hints throughout the whole series that got slightly bigger and bigger till you realised they'd been there all along - bad wolf, vote saxon, etc. Moffat doesn't have that skill at ALL. He can do drama I think, to some extent anyway, and he's pretty good at making dramatic stuff, but writing the mystery part and the suspense he's just rotten. And yeah, silly episodes were silly, some were downright childish in their silliness, but that's the whole thing with writing a family oriented TV show. There have to be some childish things, like the Absorbaloff and the Slitheen. And as long as there's deeper drama behind the silliness, which was always delivered, the whole family can enjoy it. But Moffat wants it all to be DARK AND MYSTERIOUS AND SCARY.

I COULD GO ON ABOUT HIM FOR YEARS BTW JUST SO YOU'RE AWARE

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM

I don't blame you, I get some people mixed up sometimes too. Mostly people who don't post much or rarely post personal info. In case I'm a mix-up person for you, I'll remind you I'm second-breakfast.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling good!

Spoilery spoiler spoilersX

I didn't get that it was going to be the leaf because I'm kind of a dumb, but I did think it would be the book. As soon as the Doctor said something about them paying with sentimental objects, I figured she'd have to give away her book before the end of the episode.

Yeah, RTD's hints were great because they were subtle, he wasn't bashing you over the head with them. If it's all brand new to you, it's possible to watch the season and entirely miss most of them or not realize it's supposed to be significant (aside from the vote Saxon posters, there were a lot of off-hand references to "Mr. Saxon" which I did notice the first time through, I just didn't think anything of it). They were almost like little easter eggs. Moffat, on the other hand, is smacking you in the face with his "hints" five times an episode, screaming "ARE YOU READY FOR THIS, DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS?!??!????"

Moffat is definitely good for drama. The episodes he did during RTD's reign were some of my absolute favorites. Which is part of the reason I'm so disappointed in his writing now - I was really excited for him to be running the show. But it's like he has no idea how to handle long story arcs.

To his credit, though, I will say that the Silence are excellent and that "Asylum of the Daleks" was one of the best Doctor Who episodes I had seen in a while. EBIL SNOWMEN in the last christmas special were pretty ridiculous and I was rolling my eyes at super grumpy hermit doctor, but a lot of the parts with Clara were well done. I mean, I'm still watching the show so obviously it's not unbearably bad. But I still grumble about Moffat at the end of every episode.

Mr.Natas
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-16-2013, 09:26 PM

/creeps in

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 PM

Every time I see your posts, I think they're blank because I don't notice the text all the way over on the right.