Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Awesome Banner by Mythos

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 12-25-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM

Happiest of Holidays!!!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! Time to mull some cider, add a bit of sparkle to some treats, and make some hearty dishes to warm our hearts and bellies. If you couldn't tell, I love the holidays and even more, I love holiday cooking!

So show us your creations and treats!

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 12-16-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Rules

*You must have your username written somewhere in the photograph you enter. It can not be photoshopped in afterwards.

*You must copy & paste the entry form when submitting for the contest, filling it out correctly.

*There are four categories, Sugar Plum Sweets for deserts, Wintery Concoctions for the drinks, Yuletide Tidbits for the savory dishes, and last but not least Gingerbread Houses.

*The Gingerbread House category is a "mixed media" category. You can either make a real gingerbread structure OR you may make a inedible one. The inedible can be a painting, digital art, a 3-D structure, etc. You many only enter both of these, but only one entry for each part of this category.

*Please name your treat. Also, feel free to include a recipe/link to a recipe you used in your entry.

*You can enter each category twice.

* Follow all Mene ToS and Rules in the thread. Feel free to comment on entries and chat in the thread. But be nice. You don't want to see Woody get angry (Hulk like).

*This contest will be over at the end of the Festival of Winter Nights event.

Prizes

Prizes will include CIs/EIs/Gold worth upwards of 7,000. Number of prizes will vary on entry quantity and quality. Remember, I'm not looking for expert photographs, but clever placement and themes will be noted! I love atmospheric shots, so let me see those treats and your awesome set ups!

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 12-07-2013 at 01:05 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Entry Forms

Sugar Plum Sweets

Quote:

[FONT="Harrington"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Sugar Plum Sweets[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: [/b]
[b]Image of My Entry:[/b][/FONT]

Wintery Concoctions

Quote:

[FONT="Harrington"] [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="5"]Wintery Concoctions[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[b]Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe:[/b]
Yuletide Tidbits

Quote:

[FONT="Harrington"] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="5"]Yuletide Tidbits[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[b]Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe:[/b]

Gingerbread Houses

Quote:

[FONT="Harrington"] [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="5"]Gingerbread Houses[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[b] Edible/ Inedible:[/b]

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 12-06-2013 at 03:40 AM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Sugar Plum Sweet Entries

SPOILERX

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username:MacSen191
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Apple Crisp Apple Crisp II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: TaiyoTsuki
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Candy Cane Fudge Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Shortbread Tea Cookies-->Shortbread Tea Cookies | mrfood.com
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Alexander J Luthor
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Chocolate Rommegrot
Image of My Entry:

I don't have a PDF or anything with the recipe, but I can jot it real quick here.
1 stick butter
3/4 c flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 c whole milk
1 c whipping cream
1/2 c thick chocolate milk
cinnamon sugar

Topping:
1 c whipping cream
2 Tbs powdered sugar
2 Tbs sugar

Rommegrot: In one pan simmer whipping cream and whole milk, stirring so as not to burn. In second pan melt butter to liquid and stir in flour until a butter/flour crumb forms. Ladle in the warm milk and stir together until it has a thick pudding texture. Add chocolate milk to simmered milk and continue stirring it into pudding. Stir in sugar, mix to desired thickness and pour into serving glasses. Remember, you don't need to use all the milk. Top with cinnamon sugar.

Topping: Mix all ingredients and whip until stiff peaks form. Scoop onto rommegrot and serve. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top for presentation.

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username:Nephila
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Treat Tray!
2 kinds of short bread, Chocolate covered Marzipan and Amaretto balls decorated in fun white and gold sprinkles. I made all of those. The oranges and Lindor truffles were added for color and sparkle.
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Clariusflorina
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Yumeh's Poop Lump of Coal / Recipe
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Grinch skewers
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: PrincessKasumi
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Santa's Cupcakes with hidden presents!
Image of My Entry:

More of the same cupcakes, different plate.

Sugar Plum Sweets
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Holiday Trio (Cheesecake, Lemon, and Bean Pie)
Image of My Entry:

[/COLOR]Sugar Plum Sweets
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Tasty Tidbit Treats. It's just rice krispies with food coloring added and sprinkles of the opposing color. Still tasty.
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Roachi
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Junk Yard Christmas Tree
We made this christmas tree out of cookies (from scratch), and believe me it was harder then it looks! Then we tryed to move it to put it somewhere - where the mess wasn't. And ahh, found we couldn't without it falling to pieces lol. So here you have it. A beautiful christmas tree blooming in a mountain of mess lol.
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Shadami
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: A Funfetti Christmas : It's a premix with frosting, and sprinkles that have little snowflakes in them.
Image of My Entry:

A slice of Cake And one green face to be.

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: KatMagenta
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: White Chocolate Brownies (recipe from this book)
Image of My Entry:

+ Proof

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username:Ethos
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cake
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username:Wyrmskyld
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Glazed Sourdough Chocolate Cake
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Vox
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Cranberry Almond Oatmeal Bars
Image of My Entry:
proof

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username:DariaMorgendorfer
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Rosettes, these are Swedish doughnuts! You use a hot iron to make them, and they are just fun =D This was my first time ever making them.
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: pollik17
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Special Holiday Fruit Salad
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Wyrmskyld
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Blue Candy Corn! (aka 'Tooth Fairy Poop')
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Damia Flagg
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Tie-dyed sugar cookies
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Cream Cheese Candy ~ pink ones are peppermint, yellow are lemon, blue is rum & the copper ones are caramel flavored.
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Miscreant74
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Red Velvet & Confetti Whoopie Pies
Image of My Entry:

Sugar Plum Sweets
Username: Kamikaze Kendra
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Grandma's Butter Cookies
Image of My Entry:

The recipe it's self is kind of a family secret, so I can't really share it. But since Grandma passed away this summer there was nobody to make the cookies we've all grown up with having for every single holiday... So I found her recipe and made them for my family so that at least one of our food traditions would still be there for this year's Christmas, and so that it was like grandma was there in at least some way. I even burned a small bag full for one of my aunts since grandma used to do that for her with every batch.

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-02-2014 at 08:51 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-06-2013, 03:17 AM

Wintery Concoction Entries

SPOILERX

Wintery Concoctions
Username: Chexala
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Earl Grey Dark Hot Chocolate
Image of My Entry:

The recipe for this hot chocolate doesn't use any sugar! The recipe is basically this:
  1. Warm milk on the stove. Add loose earl grey tea leaves and steep for a couple minutes. Strain out the tea leaves and put the milk back on the stove.
  2. Chop up some unsweetened chocolate and whisk it into the milk until it's fully melted and incorporated.
The result is a hot chocolate that is quite dark and creamy, but not as bitter as it sounds. I think the natural sweetness of milk takes the edge off and the earl grey flavor blends really nicely with the dark chocolate. This time I also added a dash of vanilla extract and some cinnamon on top.

Wintery Concoctions
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Hot Mulled Fruit Cider-->Hot Mulled Fruit Cider | mrfood.com
Image of My Entry:

I took a picture of it right after I'd poured it into the cup, so there's still steam rising off the top. It is sooo good, with the cranberry juice and the cinnamon and the cloves and the nutmeg...

Wintery Concoctions
Username: Nephila
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Spiced & Spiked Wine, With Oranges! XD
3 Oranges
1 bottle wine (or two)
nutmeg (I eyeballed it so meh?)
allspice(I eyeballed it so meh again?)
4 cloves
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup Amerrto/brany/rum (any or some of each, little more or none!)
1/4 Cranberries

I put it in a tea pot so it's easier to pour and stays warm longer. Also I strained out the Cloves and Cranberries after cooking. No recipe I just put in what I thought would be good into it. Now that's a tea party! XD I can't belive that tea pot hold's a wine bottle + of liquid! XD

Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Username:PrincessKasumi
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Sherbet Punch
Image of My Entry:

Side view of punch

Wintery Concoctions
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Cough Tea. Named because I think I may have actually created a new cough syrup on my quest to making a citrus holiday drink... Still looks beautiful, and I've poured it into some ice cube trays in case I need it later. I'm excited to drop it into something rich, or maybe use a few cubes in lemonade.
Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Username: Roachi
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Summer Xmas!
Strawberry/Kiwifruit/apple juice & a bit of wine blended together for a taste of summer xmas all the way from NZ :)
Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Username:Wyrmskyld
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Glögg
Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Spiced But Not Spicy Cocoa
Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Username: Vox
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Peppermint Mocha
Image of My Entry:
proof

Wintery Concoctions
Username: pollik17
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Holiday Surprise
Image of My Entry:

Wintery Concoctions
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Cherry Pineapple punch
Image of My Entry:

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-02-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-06-2013, 03:18 AM

Yuletide Tidbit Entries

SPOILERX

Yuletide Tidbits
Username:Ling
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Pizza Scrolls
Image of My Entry:

DSC_0034_zps8nfp2lrh.jpg Photo by linglui | Photobucket

Yuletide Tidbits
tigerangel
Creation name: Easy Cheddar Cheese Cookies
Image of My Entry:

]

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
5/8 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, melted
dash or two of cayenne pepper

Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until dough forms.
Shape by hand into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator
for an hour and a half.

Preheat oven to 374 degrees and place parchment paper on a cookie
sheet.
Slice dough into 1/4 inch slices and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light brown.
Makes about 20.
Recipe my be doubled.

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Mini Quiche!

I used this for the pie crust recipe Butter Flaky Pie Crust Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I put layers of cheese veggies (spinach, tomato and onion) and ham in the shells and baked at 350 for about 25 min. I cooked the veggies before placing them in the shells so the crust doesn't get soggy from their juices leaking during cooking.
I made the holly garnish with toothpicks, cherry tomatoes, and spinach. :)
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: The NOM NOM HOM err Ham basicly pineapple+cherries+ sugar and ham juices.
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Pineapple + cherry + ham
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Orange & Turkey xD
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Chicken n' Hash. This may be my shining glory. A hash of potatoes, carrots, and onions, seasoned with a bit of parsley, salt, pepper, Lawry's seasoning, and fried in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. The oil I used next to cook the chicken that I seasoned with a little extra parsley. Served also with a cutie to add some color and some sweetness to the breakfast/brunch dish.
Image of My Entry:

[/COLOR] Yuletide Tidbits
Username: BellyButton
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Black-eyed Peas for New Year's Day!
Image of My Entry:

Proof pic w/username ~ clicky

I don't have an actual recipe, but, very simple to make.

Prep the peas (I used dry ones so I had to soak 'em a bit for a head start) and set aside.

Fry up some bacon in a stock pot. Remove bacon from pot, leaving oil, & save for later.

Cook your desired veggies in the bacon grease over med (I use one onion, about 4 celery stalks, & a big fat carrot or two, diced, plus about 5 cloves of garlic minced), just to soften 'em a little bit.

When you're satisfied, throw your beans in there, pour in enough chicken stock to cover + a little extra, add whatever other seasonings you want (I don't salt mine because I use chicken stock, but if you use water or other un-salty liquid you'll def want to add some salt). For me, this means some black pepper and what's supposed to be a sane amount of sliced raw jalapeno. Lid and cook on low until the beans are soft. Mine took about an hour. (If you've got leftover Christmas ham, this is a good time to dice some up and throw it in there.)

Serve over rice. Top with the bacon crumbles from before and sliced green onion. This year I had to add a dollop of sour cream to my serving because I put a wee bit too much jalapeno in there and it was burning my soul - a person could avoid this by measuring more carefully but who has time for that nonsense right?

A good omen for a spicy new year! :)

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Mustard and Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Holiday Pizza
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Username: DariaMorgendorfer
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: This is our Christmas dinner, all hand made. Swedish meatballs, prime rib, mashed potatoes, marinated cucumbers. This was my first time ever helping to make the Swedish meatballs! I was pretty jazzed (if only one item can be entered, feel free to have the meatballs be the entry)
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Sausage Balls
Bisquick® Sausage Balls Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Loaded Chicken Potato Soup
Image of My Entry:

Yuletide Tidbits
Username: Miscreant74
Creation name/Optional Link for Recipe: Creamy Ranch Dip & Cheese Ball
Image of My Entry:

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-02-2014 at 08:50 PM..

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 AM

Gingerbread House Entries

SPOILERX

Gingerbread Houses
Edible/ Inedible: Inedible...though in a stretch the markers were non toxic. XD *ahem* anyways it's short story time.

Once upon a time when the world fell into apocalypse and few scattered human colonies remained. Little hope was in the world. Children and adults alike fell to the abominations born from the mistake of nuclear war amongst VERY naughty men.
Up in the north pole in a bunker made of gingerbread was Santa. Radio active elves would not stop him from bringing joy back to the children of earth.
"Ho ho ho! You've all been very naughty this year." He said wielding his magical Candy cane riffle. Every icy magical shot turned his once loyal worker back into magical snow.
He took up the reigns of his reindeer and shot across the sky. The magical snow blanketed it's way across the whole world curing those afflicted with living death. It was a Christmas miracle. The children and adults cheered as Santa waved. This year he had given the gift of life.

Image of My Entry:

Gingerbread Houses
Username: Nephila
Edible/ Inedible: Edible. But you'll have to fight my daughter for it.
Image of My Entry:

Gingerbread Houses
Username: steelmagghia
Edible/ Inedible: edible
Image of My Entry:

Gingerbread Houses
Edible/ Inedible: Edible! But too epic to eat....
Image of My Entry:

My idea came from here: DR WHO TARDIS GINGERBREAD HOUSE - NERDY NUMMIES - YouTube

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 01-02-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 AM

Now I have a good reason to make a ginger bread house this year.

ClockworkLupine
Parchment, Ink, and Tea

Old 12-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm totally on board for this! :D What date does the FOWN end on?

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 09:44 AM

Ooh, I actually have something to make for this contest, in the drinks category. It's one of my faaavorites. :3

MacSen191
\ (•◡•) /

Old 12-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Cool! I might see if I can whip something up. :)

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 04:42 PM

I don't even celebrate, but I want to try XP

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Yay! I love the holiday baking thread the most. :3 Can't wait to see what everyone cooks up. I'm going to try to craft a gingerbread house, I think!

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM

I love gingerbread houses! I hope I see a lot! It'll inspire me to make a few at home too. ;)

I can't wait to see what goodies you guys cook up! They can be for Christmas, Hanukkah (belated), Kwanzaa, Diwali (belated), Yule, or just something festive! If you don't celebrate any of these, what would you make and bring to the Festival of Winter Nights?

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 PM

Hmm, I can do Eid desserts. Would that be good?

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Sure! That'd be awesome, Zombie

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 PM

Yay! Okay, I know what I'm going to do now

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Looks like fun. Hmm, now what to make...

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 12-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Ideas are flying around in my head!

I'm going to have SO much fun with this!

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Hmm dunno if I can but we shall found out ;3

Iro
Lurker

Event Coordinator
Send a message via AIM to Iro

Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 PM

I'm SO looking forward to all the yummy entries.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Good Luck to peeps on doing this.

Mnemosyne
TSUNDERE

Old 12-07-2013, 09:50 PM

Does it matter if the drinks for the winter concoctions contain alcohol or not? Or would you prefer us post the underage-safe only drinks?

tigerangel
(ó㉨ò)
Penpal

Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 AM

Does your entry have to be totally original or can it be recipe from a book, for a seasonal goodie that you love to make,
whipped all all pretty for the camera?