Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Don't worry, I don't think my computer has anything catching, it's just old and needs to have it's guts cleaned and fixed.

Anyway, here is my character, finally!

Character Name: Zebulon Pike
Player Name: Chexala
Character Description or Picture: Zebulon is 5’10”, dark black skinned, lean and reasonably well fit. He has brown eyes, a largish, hooked nose, a full, neatly trimmed beard and wears his hair short. His hair generally is dark brown, but there is a hint of red in his beard. He wears clothes like those in this picture, plus a cloak during cold/wet weather.

Race: Human
Class: Mage/Wizard
STR: 13
AGI: 12
INT: 15
WIS: 11 (10 + 1 racial)
CHA: 11
CON: 15
Speed: 6 (unencumbered)
Encumbrance: 2, Moderate encumberance
Damage: 1d6+1 crushing damage (Staff +1 STR bonus)
Armor Class: 2 AC (Cloth Armor + 1 AGI bonus)
Spells per day: 8
Abilities: Photographic memory: Zebulon can memorize and recall information and observations much faster and easier than usual.
Skills: 12 (10 + 2 racial.)
  • Weapons: Staff (13).
  • Languages: Common (15), Elven(15).
  • Social: Socialize (11), Empathy (11).
  • Medical: First Aid (15).
  • General: Cooking (11), Horse Riding (12).
  • Academic: History (15), Theology (15), Astronomy (15), Mathematics (15), Alchemy (15), Poetry (15).
Equipment: Spellbook, Staff, Cloth Armor, Personal Basics, Middle Class Clothing, Cloak, Average Food, Small Wineskin, Lantern, Lantern Oil, First Aid Kit, Silk Rope, Medium Backpack, Pouch
Equipment Weight: 72.5lbs
Gold: 473g

Motivation: Zebulon was recently confirmed as a Journeyman rank mage by the mage's guild where he grew up and is now traveling to expand his knowledge beyond books and schooling so that he can attain the rank of Master. Blending his merchant childhood and his mage education, he seeks to travel from place to place offering his services to people in need.
Weakness: If Zebulon has one primary vice, it’s Pride. He thinks highly of himself, and it often too proud to admit when he is wrong or has made a mistake. Small mistakes come to him often, however, as he is relatively naive and out of the loop on current politics and culture. He is highly motivated by duty, honor, and a sense of obligation to his family and guild, which leads to a somewhat rigid or stuffy attitude. He prefers to be called by his full first name and does not like nicknames. He is essentially Lawful Good in character, but his devotion to the law is based on academic understanding and not through personal experience with difficult choices or morally ambiguous situations. Also, he is easily flustered by flirtation.
Character Biography: Zebulon comes from a modest traveling merchant family. He spent his childhood travelling in their caravan, helping with the chores and expecting that one day he would follow in his family's trade along with his brothers and sisters. Instead, he discovered he had an innate talent for magic when he was twelve, and his father sent him to apprentice at a mage's guild in the city. The guild not only taught him magic and alchemy, but also taught him how to read, study, and hone his acute observational skills. He learned a variety of subjects, ranging from history and religion to math and astronomy. Feeling duty-bound to his family and his school but also excited by everything there was to learn, he took his studies very seriously, and has done little else during his years at the guild. Despite being serious minded and studious, however, he has always been reasonably friendly and sociable, though he does not have many close friends. His rigorous and disciplined life has also left little time for romance, so he is emotionally inexperienced in many ways.
After 10 years with the guild, Zebulon achieved the Journeyman rank, as mentioned above, and has been set loose on the world for the first time at the age of 22.
Anything else you think we should know?: Zebulon is the equivalent of a recent college grad - well educated but inexperienced, and a bit at a loss. He has long term goals, but isn’t sure how to go about achieving them.

Hope that all works! I added a couple unlisted skills that seemed reasonable (empathy, riding, academic stuff). I'm not sure which skill to use for horse riding; Strength or Agility make the most sense to me.

Also I wanted to ask if Zebulon could have a horse. He has riding skills, and would like it to help him carry some of his stuff.

Last edited by Chexala; 12-12-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Your character looks great, Chexala! I'll post him in the OOC thread now. Oh, and I'd say horseback riding is an AGI skill... and I'll give you an opportunity to buy a horse later. An ordinary riding horse costs 1000g, so a starting character can't quite afford one unless it's all they have. It won't take very long, though!

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmskyld View Post
Your character looks great, Chexala! I'll post him in the OOC thread now. Oh, and I'd say horseback riding is an AGI skill... and I'll give you an opportunity to buy a horse later. An ordinary riding horse costs 1000g, so a starting character can't quite afford one unless it's all they have. It won't take very long, though!
Would have to be careful, just having a horse, especially if the party got hungry!

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 04:03 PM

Mmm, Swedish meatballs

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 12-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Draza approves!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Oh wow, horses are expensive. I was imagining, based on what everything else costs, that a horse might be a couple hundred gold. I guess it makes sense though - a spellbook might be fancy, but it doesn't have to be fed and watered and trained for years first. XD

Edit: I'll update my ride skill for Agility, it's 12.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Yeah... I always figured a spellbook was just an empty book that the mage wrote spells down in, or else they're something that gets churned out by apprentices all the time.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 PM

Also on an island a horse is going to be pricey I would recon, but perhaps Wyrm, later when it comes to finding someone with horses etc... Maynhaveva range of steeds, some dogged deseased animal, that the owner wants to get rid of. Or a an ass or garron. Or a great stallion?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM

There will be a lot of variation within horses that are available, yes. They're not really rare, though. It's an island, but it's a fairly large island. Great Britain sized, easily, so a horse could be pretty useful.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 12-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Draza may still think of it as portable food.

Are there other land masses that our adventures may take us??

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Lots of other landmasses... *steeples fingers* And you're tempting me to show you guys a map... I'll scan in the hand-drawn map I have tonight and see if I can clean it up enough that it'll be clear on a computer screen. You'll just have to remember that you won't have an actual understanding of the lay of the land unless you ask a local or someone who's been through there before.

BrotherOfDarkness
*^_^*

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Perhaps, dum down the map, take outlining locations away (far reaches) and limit the detail. So that way it could easily be something a cartographer posted on the wall or hall sometime ago?, at least that will help with our bearings enough to know what is north south etc? And as we go, we can fill in the blanks ourselves?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM

I might try to just give a map of the island of Arynn for starting off, and then expand to other islands with time. Right now, you're starting on an island that's shaped roughly like South America, and you're starting in Salvador, Brazil.

Ethos
til death do us part

Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmskyld View Post
I might try to just give a map of the island of Arynn for starting off, and then expand to other islands with time. Right now, you're starting on an island that's shaped roughly like South America, and you're starting in Salvador, Brazil.
Wha oh. Hopefully Zebulon isn't photograph memorizing the local beach life!!
I would love to see a map, but Phaelan wouldn't be played well if I had an idea of where he may want to go.

Mnemosyne
TSUNDERE

Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 PM

Has this started yet and are you still allowing people in? Im on my phone so if I missed that information im sorry!

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-17-2013, 04:37 PM

It has started, Mnemosyne, but it's always open to new players, and we're only on the second turn of gameplay! Here's a couple of links-- let me know if your phone has trouble getting to them.
The OOC Thread
The Game Thread

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 12-17-2013, 05:11 PM

I posted....did I do that right?

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 PM

You did great, Cora. :)