Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Indeed indeed!
How's it going? Awesome avatar!

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Oh you know, busy busy! I should really be getting ready for school right now but instead I'm on Mene. I have class in two and a half hours, and it takes me an hour to drive to school. And I'm still in pajamas!

And thank you! It's part of my group entry for Linnea's contest. I'm the "Gunner/Gunman" person in our aviator fleet.

You're also looking quite spiffy. Love the colors!

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Ahh I can relate haha. xD
Best be gettin showered n such soon! Don't wanna be grody for class now.

That's awesome. I usually love taking part in contests, but I've found myself being too lazy as of late. I think steampunk is interesting, but I've always leaned more towards the flowery side of steampunk that Phoenix Jubilee has.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM

I usually never take part in contests. It's not really my style, though I do love the challenges. I just don't like the competition part. I stress myself out over it because I want to win too much. The only real reason I decided to enter this one is because I was asked to be a part of a team. I am going to enter bsw's Undies contest though, just because it's fun haha!

I love all aspects of steampunk. So much brown (fav color #4)! I do like how Mene has worked it out to be a bit softer though with the floral aspect, so I can agree with you on that part.

And yeah, time to go get showered and ready to go. I'll chat with you later! :D

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Ahh I see! Seiki is super competitive. *noted*

Alrighty have a good one! Cya around. :D

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiki Nova View Post
Of course. I'm going to make a tumblr for it like I did with my Morgan Le Fay diary from last semester (same teacher).

I wish I still had the login for that tumblr so I could just use it again.

Nevermind, I remembered it xP
Oh cool! Be sure to send me the link once you do it.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM

Of course!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-16-2013, 09:45 PM

It's cool that your project will get to be something fun and creative like that. It makes homework so much nicer when you enjoy doing it! I've been lucky enough to have enjoyable projects as well. Others... have me dragging my feet. >> I've got this really weird one for my intro to Sociology class. She wants us to pick a term from a list for each chapter, find a picture from a magazine that exemplifies the term, and then write one page on why the picture represents the term. Like, seriously? I have to use magazine clippings for a college assignment? It's so silly.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM

That just sounds boring honestly. But I mean, it's almost a craft project if you want it to be.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 PM

star no mean to die.. she was cleaning, Hello all you wonderful peoples you.

vampire_bill
\ (•◡•) /

Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 PM

hello loves <3

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 04-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Hello Fiona, how goes the event for you?

Seiki Nova

Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 PM

Hey Star, hey Bill! How are you guys? I'm in class right now :(

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
That just sounds boring honestly. But I mean, it's almost a craft project if you want it to be.
Seriously. It's going to be so tedious to go through magazines trying to find pictures that somehow represent sociological terms. :/ And the little paper she wants us to write with it is just... insulting. I'd rather she have us do a multiple page essay on each term than this, honestly.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 AM

Yeah, the one page seems like a slap in the face. It's rude.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 AM

Well, I just checked and it can be 1-2 pages. But it's just so silly.

Quote:
In each of the essays that you write you should address the following questions:

a, What is illustrated in the picture?
b. How does the picture that you have selected represent an example of one of the concepts covered within the topic?
c. What do you think about what is being presented in the picture?
Do I really have to tell her what is in a picture she'll be looking at while reading it? Do I need to give an opinion of a picture of someone standing in a crowd or whatever? What kind of opinion could I have about something so trivial?

This class is just a joke. I'm sure Sociology is an interesting topic, but my professor just doesn't teach it that well. She takes an entire class to cover what most professors could cover in 20 minutes. Sooo slow. It's really disappointing because, well, I paid for this class. And she's the only professor I've had so far that's a doctor! And yet it's the worst class I've taken! Ah well, at least the exams aren't hard and the in-class activities are easy grade boosters. I've got an A in the class, so eh. I just wish I was getting more from the experience.

Speaking of, I've got an exam in that class tomorrow. I need to stop putting off studying.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 AM

Some teachers are just terrible lecturers. I've had teachers give entire lessons on things that are not even remotely related to where we are in the textbook. Some teachers give their entire lesson as an open discussion for the class rather than going over the material. You kind of get what you get with the professors in colleges.

Chickie Nuggs
❀◕ ‿ ◕&...

Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
You kind of get what you get with the professors in colleges.
Ain't that the truth. My current instructor for Art History is very nice, and I can tell she has a passion for being an art historian, but she isn't very good at teaching us. What's worse is that she is the ONLY instructor for that field of art especially since the art programs at my college are struggling to stay.

jupiter
inactive account

Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 AM

I had a chemistry professor who had no background in chemistry. They are fond of this "POGL" system, or whatever they call it. It's basically slapping kids together in a group to do an assignment together regardless of whether or not they understand it. So it punishes those who are smarter than the subject, and those who are struggling with it. Actually, the business of education is atrocious.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 AM

Yeah, teachers are a mixed bag, especially when you're dealing with a community college, like I am. I've had some excellent teachers who are a credit to their profession, others were good yet weird on some things (unclear instructions, disorganized, etc.), and then... ugh, this professor who just doesn't really engage us. I feel bad talking poorly of her, she seems like a nice lady who has a passion for Sociology, she just doesn't really impart that passion.

Seiki Nova

Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM

There really should be a great deal of reform when it comes to teaching, especially at the university level where students are expected to learn and comprehend more complicated material than what we were exposed to in high school, the majority of which had little to no preparation for what most of us intended on studying. I'm an English Lit major, and I don't think I was even close to being prepared for the amount of work and the quality of said work that I would have to do.

Demo, ew, that's terrible! I mean, obviously there's stuff that you could learn from her, but if she can't teach it then what's the point? And the fact that your school is struggling to keep up with the program is a shame. I hate seeing the arts struggling so hard against these more hard sciences. I understand that the arts are considered more trivial than hard sciences, but they're just as important.

jupiter, Yeah, I hate those kinds of classes. We had that with my Geography class last year. Not that geography is inherently hard or anything, but some students just couldn't grasp the content and that left the rest of us trying to explain it to them before we could get to our work.

---------- Post added 04-16-2013 at 09:32 PM ----------

Cherry, community college teachers can be great. Truly. But it is a community college. From my experience, I've fared much better with my university professors than with the community college professors I had. With university, they're more passionate about their subjects I feel.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 AM

I suppose I'm somewhat lucky in that I didn't go to highschool, so I had no preconceived ideas about what was expected of me. In fact, I built up the expectations to such scary levels in my mind that sometimes I get an assignment and I'm like "that's all you want? Really? You sure?" It didn't help that, at the time I entered college, I was dating a guy who was in his Junior year, so hearing about his assignments put the fear of god into me. I just hope that as I continue at my community college, things will get progressively harder so there won't be a huge disparity of expectations when I transfer to a four year.

I do look forward to more professors with passion. I've had some, but others just don't seem to care at all. My English teacher recently gave us (10!) extra credit points if we wore something red on the day of a Cardinals game. Like... seriously? And he's always letting out class half an hour early if he can, and his lectures are just definitions of terms that will be on the exam. He's basically just reading off the powerpoint, not giving much more than that. :/ My first English teacher wasn't a whole lot better, either. He spent very little time teaching us anything and the rest of the time just having us do silly games that were meant to enforce the lesson (but didn't because if we got something wrong, like comma placement, he would just say no and tell us to try again - GUESSING until someone says you got it right doesn't teach you the rules!). I really love English, I'm considering minoring in it, why can't I get an English teacher who gives a damn?

Seiki Nova

Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 AM

I wouldn't mind if more professors at my university gave extra credit. Even if it were just one point. That one point can make all the difference depending on how the class is structured.

---------- Post added 04-17-2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

what should I make this thread into? I feel like I need a gimmick to get people in here.