Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM

I'll be your friend! :D

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
Roachi, I felt very sorry for you about what happened with your friend. It's a horrible situation to be in, absolutely horrible. No-one should ever be stuck between a friend proclaiming their innocence; and some authority figure saying they did what they're denying. I'm sorry you had to go through that :hug:

I know I broke protocol then, and PMed you proof of what had happened. But you were being so very vocal in the forums :oops: I had to let you know what had happened for two reasons. You were digging a hole for yourself, and making the staff look really bad because you were utterly convinced that she'd done nothing wrong and we'd banned her falsely.

I wish the userbase as a whole trusted us :c We never rush into a ban, never ever. We always hold off until we have more proof than is probably necessary, because we're so afraid of banning people falsely. But when it's old and well-known accounts, there's always this furore afterwards ._.
Well you were only doing your job. Not that i could see that then lol. To be honest im truly grateful you did show me that proof, because i probably would have never believed you otherwise lol. It was basically her word against yours. And because she had her own site and i had worked alongside her for ages, was truly a good friend, it never crossed my mind that she would do that. I mean im pretty sure she wouldn't want her members doin the same thing. So it was really a big shock when i had the proof. The saddest thing is, how they let you defend them, when they know the truth - and you end up with egg on your face.

But yeah i've definitely learnt a lot since then. Hence why i said that mene wouldn't ban someone willy nilly. I just didn't want to upset someone so i removed it. :/

But yeah its always a shock when an olbie gets banned, and there is always a lot of speculation.

Last edited by Roachi; 04-28-2012 at 11:33 PM..

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM

i am really wondering what exactly happened >.>'

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-28-2012, 11:50 PM

I'm sure you are, but I'm not going to say, it would be totally unprofessional of me to do so. Just rest assured that something very bad was done. Claims of emails sent to support are probably just face-saving, as none have been sent, probably because the girls are fully aware that they broke the rules and will not be getting their accounts back.

Speculation is the devil, it's how truly awful rumours start. One person wonders allowed if someone was banned unfairly, the next person tells someone else that so-and-so was absolutely banned unfairly, because someone else told them so...and so it snowballs -.-

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM

I'm wondering, too, dessert.

I know fully well that people are capable of scamming and not being willing to admit it to their friends, and in being a friend, one would generally naturally assume that they're being truthful. I think its just so much easier for someone to get mad at authority figures that are seemingly being the "bad guys", than to think their friend could be lying or trying to save face. And when it comes to banning, I imagine that the details as to why they're banned could be a bit embarassing, so they may just not want to have to admit what they did to their friends.

In this case, I must say that I have no idea as to what might have happened to cause the banning. I know there are many different ways in which one could be banned, though, so its never good to jump to any conclusions. Those two were well known and friends to much of us older users, but they had been gone for awhile, and I think that perhaps its easy to forget some of the simpler rules sometimes. Mene is a much different and more well-rounded and honest site then most, so I think people feel they can get away with more than they can. When they do, they push boundaries not ment to be pushed.

Either way, I hope that nobody got hurt feelings in the process. And i'm very sad to see Foxxi leaving over this. :( And very sad to be missing a Hina and Kat now, too.

Last edited by Suona; 04-29-2012 at 12:00 AM..

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM

I actually forget what you would need to do to get banned >.>' not to mention get in any trouble >.>' i don't even know if i have ever been in trouble >.>'

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 AM

Well most people get banned for offsite trading, or something to that effect.

@Su - Too true. Thats exactly what happened in my case.
Oh well, i guess it's better to remember people as they were, rather then remember what they did wrong etc.

Last edited by Roachi; 04-29-2012 at 12:10 AM..

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 AM

In recent memory, a phishing attempt got a few bans (all the same person but it was multiple accounts from what I recall). That was pretty public though since it affected so many people.

I also remember a high-profile ban about multiaccounting and abuse of staff, and then there were one or two hackers who tried to get information about members (email addresses I think?) who were banned.

Most "bans" I believe are the result of dead email addresses or sending mene emails to spam. Though those are usually easily reversible, from what I understand.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 AM

Well there ya go, didn't even know about those ones... Except that stuff that happened recently with the people trying to get email addys etc.

I think i hear about the offsite trading ones mostly because the people that do get banned are normally exchangers.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Question how do you know if it is a true original owner of the account or someone else doing those bad things?A

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Staff can see the IP address that posts originate from. So, for example, I'm in California and have an IP that will trace to my area. If my account gets hacked and suddenly the posts start coming from New York or Malaysia or basically anywhere that I don't live (especially if I don't talk about my travel plans first, which I usually do in at least one thread), it would be fairly obvious that the posts didn't come from me.

I'm sure the staff have other ways as well, that I am not privvy to.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 AM

My boyfriend lives in texas but was visiting me in PA >.>' however we never talk about travel plans in here >.>'

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 AM

Well unless he did things he's not suppose too, i don't think it will alert the staff.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-29-2012, 12:54 AM

Old users who get banned are usually doing something wrong intentionally. Don't forget that our warning system bends over backwards to give people multiple chances to learn from their mistakes, without even getting an infraction. If someone's banned out of the blue, you can guarantee that they've done something pretty bad, and knew full well what they were doing, too.

It's not about forgetting the rules. It's about thinking that we're slack, stupid and won't notice, and they can get away with it.

WRONG.

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM

So why was Jelly dress up as a beggar before?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 AM

Because :lol: I had a feeling we had the right items for me to be able to pull off a hobo avatar, and I was right :D

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 AM

-steals some of jelly's gold-

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 AM

Don't steal my chocolate money :gonk: *sniffles*

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 AM

-gives jelly a box of nutty bars-

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 AM

Jelly just wanted to feel like a scruffy burly man for a while :cool:

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:23 AM

lol Keyori

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 AM

Not that there's anything wrong with that. xD

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:35 AM

but jelly was still a girl >.>'

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM

It's like being the opposite of a drag queen. Deep down, your gender never changes, but on the outside you're a whole new person. ;D

dessertdesiert
ヽ(´▽`;...
Penpal

Old 04-29-2012, 01:52 AM

lol >.<' You are funny >.< btw the cat in your signature is scary >.>'