javey
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM

I'm an avid reader. I can muddle my way through nearly everything, so long as it can capture me somewhere on the first page. And yet, for the life of me, I cannot get through David Copperfield or Of Human Bondage. I like classics, modern ones especially, so Maugham should be no problem at all. But every time I pick it up, I just want to scream in frustration.

A Light in the Forest is the only other book I can think of that just made me want to tear my hair out. It's awful. There is no way around it. Making children read that book should be outlawed. I flat out refused to finish it, and dorky thing that I was in the seventh grade, that is absolutely amazing.

Celestial
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM

• I hated Macbeth with a passion, that's why I was surprised when I actually liked Hamlet. I guess I found Macbeth to be boring, I just don't understand why I found it boring after all this time.

Yunimori
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 PM

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown.

It was a pitiful attempt to mix supernatural happenings in with the ordinary world....and it failed. Badly. I could soooooo clearly see parts where the author tried to mimic Frank Peretti; to try and give readers the same amount of suspense that that author does. But not once did he manage it.

I put the book down about half-way though, and sold it to a used book dealer shortly thereafter. And I NEVER sell books.

Queen Fool
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Queen Fool

Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 PM

My List of Uber Boring Books:
Tuck Everlasting
The Watsons Go to Birmingham
The Outsiders
The Acorn People
The Chocolate War
A Series of Unfortunate Events
(books 8-12, didn't read 13).
And so many more...

Yes, I read the first 4 for school in 6th/7th grade and we over-analyzed everything, so that made them worse.

Luumi
*^_^*

Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 PM

Bridge to Terabithia. It's extremely short, but I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. xP

Edit: Scratch that. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the most boring book. It's a classic, but I could barely follow what was going on...

Shandriz
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM

A Light in the Forest was pretty awful. Though, the most boring I would have to say is either A) the entirety of Moby Dick or B) half of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers when they're walking through Mordor and Tolkien felt the need to describe every rock, tree, and blade of grass on the way there.

Celestial
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 PM

• Catcher in the Rye was pretty boring too, it just didn't appeal to me at all whatsoever.

Colossia
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I tried so hard to read it, and failed. As a consolation, I hear lots of people are in the same boat.

Parasite
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-23-2007, 04:42 AM

Wuthering Heights

I was required to read it in high school and I suffered to read every word written on those pages. It was a very confusing book and made no sense until I got to the last page. I appreciate the book for being a classic but I wouldn't put it on my "Must Read!" list anytime soon...

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 PM

wow i'm amazed at how many books are found "boring"

i've honestly never found a book "boring"(like in a hateful sense)
i think every book can have something to interest you whether historical ties, themes, translation or the whatnot

but i can't say that some books haven't been a hard read- i read Moby Dick (unabridged of course) and i had a hard time with it- but you're kind of supposed to b/c its all about how bored life can be at sea for months years at a time- when i thought of it that way i was able to enjoy it for what it was but it didn't stop me from reading it slowly in small chunks and also reading many other books at the same time

i also had a hard time with Don Quixote- i like it in retrospect but at the time i couldn't get myself to read more than eighty pages in one sitting

Reita Is Love
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Reita Is Love

Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 PM

I have read books that seemed very boring...but when you think about it...all books are made for a reason even if they are boring...they could be teaching a lesson and it seems boring...but theres always something to back it up and if you understand that then the book isn't exactly "Boring" how would it become a book if it was boring and no one would like it? XD

indigoat
*^_^*

Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM

• The Great Gatsby was a horribly boring book... I couldn't even finish it. And considering how much I love to read, and I've read every novel assigned in school period... Not reading that book for one of my English classes says a lot. Ugh.

@ Reita Is Love: There are a lot of published books that are boring. Just because someone else likes it, or the book has a purpose, does not mean everyone is going to find it riveting. Boring is a personal opinion. For example, my mother reads everything. Literally. Up to and including Calculus and Physics text books... And she hates math more than spiders. It's all relative.

xX Nightmare Angel Xx
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to xX Nightmare Angel Xx

Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 AM

I read a book called "The Girl In The Moon Circle". I don't remember the author's name though D': . But that name's not too common so if you ever see it, avoid the book. It was just flat out boring and terrible! It was a required read though for Hawaiian Culture class.

Worst book of my life Dx

EDIT: The book took place in Samoa. The main character's name was Samoana. Oh how original -rolls eyes-

Sadistix_Love
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 PM

Blah, the book called "Earthly Knight" by Janet McNaughton. I had to choose a "hero and a quest" type of book for school and choose this because it said that the character is going on a quest. But man it was boring. D:

Ankh
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 PM

There is one book that I can't really read. I think it's called Teenage Fairy. it's just..so confusing. x.x

Caranfirithwen
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-28-2007, 04:55 PM

The Scarlet Letter. I just could not get into the book. It really bored me to death. We were forced to read it for school, but luckily my friend had red it an gave me all the answer for the packets we had to fill out...otherwise I would have failed the test and not wouldn't have gotten a good grade on the packets.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 AM

Hands down the most boring reads out there are Walden's Pond by Henry David Thourogh. and Earth in the Balance by Al Bore.
both I'm sure I am going to have to trudge through in college again. but the only way to read these books is by being very uncomfortable so that you dont fall asleep while reading them.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 02:32 AM

Boring books get pushed out of my head fairly quickly.

If I must say, it's Oliver Twist. OMG. Classic book my ass. No offense to people that do like the book though. If you like the book, then that's more power to you then. IMO I hate it. I hate it hate it hate it. Most in-school reading books are.

morrissey
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via ICQ to morrissey Send a message via AIM to morrissey Send a message via MSN to morrissey Send a message via Yahoo to morrissey

Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caranfirithwen
The Scarlet Letter. I just could not get into the book. It really bored me to death. We were forced to read it for school, but luckily my friend had red it an gave me all the answer for the packets we had to fill out...otherwise I would have failed the test and not wouldn't have gotten a good grade on the packets.

My cousin made me read that to see if it was good or not so I could tell him whether or not to read it. It bored me to tears. But I told him that it was good and he should read it. I also told him that he would have to read up to around a third of the book in order to get to the good stuff. I told him that after that 1/3 of the book, it would turn brilliant (but it really isn't.) Hahaha.

I'd shoot myself if I had to read that in school.

AndyKuzuki
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-06-2007, 07:43 AM

I think the most boring book I've ever read was "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" by Anne Rice, using a pseudonymous.

It's all about sex and nothing else. You could think it's entertaining at first, but after reading more and more pages about the same stuff, it gets too repetitive and plain.

There are more books under the same storyline (if you can call that a storyline...) but I don't even want to think about that =S

Star Valo
Silly Little Unicorn
Penpal

Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM

I read the first 3 pages of "the science of Harry potter" and fell asleep, i'ts so boring, i was supposed to be doing a case study on Supposed "Magic" being physically possible. but i gave us and just did the Possibility of the TARDIS instead :D

got a lower grade but Hey!
Who cares? I'm not wasting my time re-doing a case study 'cos the teachers didn't help me enough and tell me that my "evidence" wasn't "scientific" enough ¬_¬

Zillar

Old 07-09-2007, 03:29 AM

The Magicians Nephew.
Maybe it was just because it was way low for my level but I was told the Narnia books were good. I decided to start with the prequel. BAD IDEA. It was the most dull thing I ever read! I tried twice and couldn't get past the castle that was frozen or whatever. I couldn't finish a book that was barely(if that) over 100pgs. Thats not right!
Turned me off from chronicles of Narnia

Oh and all books I was told to read in school were pretty lame.

Personally I liked To Kill a Mockingbird. I read it in 7th for enjoyment and didn't even mind reading it in 9th for school. Maybe I'm just biased with the fact my middle name was taken from that book xD

last survivor
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-09-2007, 05:56 AM

For me, one of them would have to be Jane Eyre and those types of classical books. Their definitely not my taste even though I liked the movie I did not like the book. Those types of books are complicated and when I read I just wish it to be clear and concise. I read for comfort and pleasure, so I don't want to be going into deeper thinking.

I've also herd Lovely Bones isn't that great, never read it but a lot of my friends who had to read it for school diliked it. Another would have to be A farwell to arms. I usually like books about the past and having to do with war, but no offense to Earnest hemingway, not so good. The way it was written, bleh. And it was sort of sappy.

To finish it off all non-fictional books. XD. I could never pull myself to read non-fiction books and Study books. No way, I dont' know how people do it for projects or just for fun.

Twism
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-12-2007, 11:08 PM

I guess textbooks don't count?

But good GOD.

Just because some Ph.D. out there is smart, doesn't mean they can write. I remember reading one History text that rambled on and on and on about the different types of corn the Indians planted. Like, they'd actually LIST the technical names of the corn. And say "that corn was a good corn, unlike BLAHBLAHBLAH, which did not supply the full calories. However, BLAHBLAHBLAH corn was more suited to the environment and easier to raise, and was more widespread. BLAHBLAHBLAH corn was used by the settlers often, although BLAHBLAHBLAH corn was the one they exported...." etc. etc. etc.

Omigod. DEATH. T_____T

But anywhoo~. What's with all the "no book is boring" posts?

O_o;;;

From the Oxford American Dictionary, something is "boring" when it makes a person feel tired or uninterested.

NOT to be mistaken with that it has no redeeming qualities or purpose whatsoever *nodnod*. I think most of us have felt tired or uninterested when reading certain books. Doesn't mean that book was evil or had no purpose ^_^!

Liz
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz

Old 07-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Well English book I reallt haven read yet but the Spanish book from hear Puerto Rico are "El niño que enloquecio de amor" "La abejita que queria soñar" Etc.....