The Auctioneer
Better than Santa!
NPC

Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM

This is where information on the Menewsha Marketplace will go!

Last edited by The Auctioneer; 02-27-2011 at 09:36 AM..

The Auctioneer
Better than Santa!
NPC

Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 AM

MARKETPLACE PAGE GUIDE
This post will describe each page and its functions. Hopefully knowing what each page "does" will help answer your questions before you have any!

Marketplace
This is your starting point! It lists the items you are bidding on, items you are watching to pop up in the Marketplace, and allows you to see listings on the site as divided by several different search groups.

"My Bids" = Items you are currently bidding on.
The "price" is what it would cost for someone to outbid the highest bid, not what you will necessarily have to pay at the end of the auction.

"Watch List" = Items you are searching for.
For example, if you decide you want to buy the "Pure Love Boa", but none are currently for sale, you can put it on your "Watch List". If anyone puts the item up in the Marketplace, the Boa will appear here.

"Sort Items" = Items in the marketplace, sorted by whatever conditions you have.
- Contribution Items will list only CIs for sale in the Marketplace.
- Ending Soon will list items whose listings are about to expire soonest.
- Cheapest will list only the cheapest listings.
- Most Expensive will show only the items selling for the most.
- Newly Listed will show the items most recently put into the Marketplace.
- Recently Released will show items that are newest to Menewsha - for example, the newest rare item on the site or commons from the most recent update. This is useful if you're looking for something you've missed from a recent absence or cheap commons people accidentally bought doubles of during an event.
- Oldest Released will show items that are oldest to Menewsha - the items that have been around Menewsha the longest. This is useful if you're looking for older rare items missing from your collection or users getting rid of old commons they no longer use.

If you see an item you like on this page, click on the shopping cart icon ( ) to go to the seller's store. From there you can click on the magnifying glass ( ) to try the item on, or the buy icon ( ) to buy or bid on the item.

---

My Shop
This is your shop! Congratulations! Shops are set up automatically once you've listed your first item or made your first bid on an item. There is no charge for setting up a shop. Currently, there is no "listing fee" or percentage taken out of your sale, but there may be one in the future.

At the moment, there is no way to customize your shop. Shop 'comments' are randomly generated. This is just an area to see what items you are listing at the moment, to cancel your auctions using the X button ( ) if you need to, and a quick way to list more. You can also preview the item using the magnifying icon ( ) if you're not sure you're selling the right item.

Your items are listed from least expensive to most expensive. Currently there is no other way for you to sort your listings.

---

Sell/Auction Items
This is where you list new items for sale or auction. The default load is your main inventory. Only items in your main inventory will be displayed unless you change drawers! Click "Change Drawers" to select a different inventory to load. Then click on the single item you would like to sell.

Once you have selected an item, you'll be taken to a screen that says "Add an Item" with your item name and thumbnail and several options for you to choose from.

Listing Ends: You may list the item to have a listing that expires anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 days later.
In some cases, it'll be more to your advantage to set a long listing period (for example, selling commons or very expensive rares) and in others a shorter listing period may get you a surer sale (for example, if you're auctioning items that are very in-demand at the moment, users will want them as soon as possible).

Type: Do you want to Auction your item (to let users bid the price up until the listing expires), or Sell it (where a user can simply purchase the item if they want it)?
Again, you may find some items are better Auctioned and others simply Sold outright.

If you Sell an item, simply input the price you are willing to sell the item for. The item will then be put in the Marketplace!

If you Auction an item, you will have to decide the Starting Price (where to start the bidding at) and Minimum bid increment (the minimum amount another user will have to increase their bid by each time they bid. The default is "1 gold" even if you leave the field at "0 gold").
It is up to you what you set these at, but be careful not to set the minimum bid increment too high. A minimum increase of 100 gold may make sense for an expensive rare item, but would probably scare off people looking to buy a less expensive one!

When you're certain all the information is correct, simply click "Auction this Item" and you will be redirected to the "My Shop" page so you can see your listing and cancel it immediately if you realize you've made a mistake.

---

Search for Items
This is where you go to put something on your Watch List, or simply see if it's being sold! Like the Dream Avatar Beta (DAC), it uses the system's item tags to find the items you're looking for, which is convenient if you're not sure what you're looking for or don't remember it's proper name.

Type the keyword or keywords into the search box and hit enter. For example, "Boa". All items tagged "boa" will show up in the search.

Once the search results return an item you're interested in, click on it and it will bring up information on the item.

The information returned will be:
Last Sale - The date the item was last sold in the Marketplace.
Total Sales - The total amount of gold transacted for the item in the Marketplace.
Lowest Sale - The lowest amount of gold the item has sold for on the Marketplace.
Highest Sale - The highest amount of gold the item has sold for on the Marketplace.
Average Sale - The average amount of gold the item sells for on the Marketplace.

If the item is a common, it will tell you which shop it's in and how much it costs in the shop itself.

You may also add this item to your Watch List if you can't find a listing for the item now or don't have the gold for it at the moment.

If the item has listings currently on the Marketplace, it will show all listings for that item, listed cheapest to most expensive.

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 12-17-2022 at 04:23 PM..

The Auctioneer
Better than Santa!
NPC

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Frequently Asked Questions about the Marketplace
Hopefully this will be able to answer any questions you have about the marketplace. We'll add more to this as questions become common.

BUYING/BIDDING

1) There's an error in the item price! I didn't bid that much!/That's not what I started the auction at!
Don't worry! That's not an error! "Price" displays only what it will cost another user to purchase the item.

For example: If the listing for an auction started at 10g with a 5g minimum increase, the item would be listed as starting at "10g". If a user bids on the item, then the price is shown as "15g" because of the 5g minimum increase. If no one bids up, the winning bidder only has to pay their bid of 10g.

2) I made a mistake in my bid - how can I retract it? D:
All bids are binding until such point as either you are outbid or the seller cancels the auction. In these cases, your gold will be returned to you. A seller is under no obligation to cancel their auction for your convenience - so double-check your bid before you confirm!

3) Is there anti-sniping protection?
Yes. To prevent sniping, if a bid is made within the last 60 seconds of the auction ending, the auction will automatically be extended a further 120 seconds.

4) When I bid on an item, when is the gold removed from my account?
The gold is removed immediately after you bid. But if you are outbid or the seller cancels the auction, your gold will be returned to you.

SELLING/MY SHOP

1) Can I customize my shop?
At this time, no.

2) How much does it cost to list an item? Is there a listing fee? / I heard there be a 10% listing fee! D:
There is no listing fee for items at this time.

3) HELP! It won't let me list anything to sell (but I have items in the drawer)!
Do you have a broken item in your inventory? Try moving the broken item to another drawer and that should fix the problem.
The trade system won't let you trade it away like you used to be able to, so until we figure out how to fix that problem, it's better to bury the problem item. xD;

4) There's an error with how my listing ending time is displayed...
That's not an error - listing times are "rounded down" for display purposes. For example, if you made a listing that lasts 9 days, you'll see it listed as ending in 8 days, because the extra 23 hours, 59 seconds aren't counted.

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1) Do I get notifications if...
You get notifications via PM if the listing is:
- Sold
- Canceled by the seller
- If you are outbid
- If you win the auction
- If your listing expires without a sale.

Users who intend to do a lot of things in the Marketplace may want to disable email notifications about their PMs if they have their options set that way. Though if such notifications are helpful to you, please make sure that Menewsha is listed as a 'safe' sender and/or you read each and every email notification as most service providers will start marking such things as spam if they're never read. (And if your email address starts marking our emails as spam, your account will be automatically banned by the system and it's a bit of a hassle to get it back!)

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 11-26-2014 at 03:18 AM..

The Auctioneer
Better than Santa!
NPC

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM

The Auctioneer's Auctions
Information about the auctions that The Auctioneer runs in his Auction House. Any questions that are asked repeatedly - or very important information to cover - will be listed here for the sake of clarity and convenience!

1) Oops! I made a mistake when bidding on one of The Auctioneer's auctions.... Can he refund me/cancel the auction?
Please understand that it may be impossible to tell when people have made a genuine mistake or simply used their money to secure their win and prevent anyone else from outbidding them, and then later say that their large bid was a "mistake" and request the difference back.

In the interest in fairness across the board, please double-check all of your bids before making them. Remember that anti-sniping measures are in place, so unless you are bidding in literally the last seconds of an auction, you have time to double-check how many zeros you're adding to your bid price before you confirm it.

Our apologies to those who do make genuine mistakes.

2) Are there other ways to earn goods unique to The Auctioneer?
Not from any official staff ways. Charities, games, and so on have funds and may win auctions to use the items as prizes, but they will not be available as prizes in any staff-sponsored game/charity/event excepting in very rare, very special occasions (generally involving NPC contests).

Items Available from The Auctioneer
These are items that are initially available only through The Auctioneer. Some of these items are available for only a limited time while others will be put up for auction from time to time. A "retired" notice means that the Auctioneer's initial stock is retired, and all 'new' stock comes from accounts that were banned or from end-of-the-month additional supply.

Auctioneer Items

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 02-15-2012 at 07:25 PM..