Varryk
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM

I role play as a guy, just in the sense that its easier for me to have a mental connection with the character that way. But if there is the slightest inkling of there being any sort of romance to the role I tend to either make my character forever single, or date other guys. Again better connection. Not that I couldn't role play a hetero relationship, it just always gives me one of those feelings of I'm not doing this right or the other person gives off a little sister feel. Making me have to think harder about what to do in the proper setting and causing writers block.

[answer to your question and a reason to back it up. BIG HEARTS <3 ]

Lorwynmoontide
Watcher of Anime

Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM

80% of the time I roleplay as female but if I see someone, male or female, and I really am interested in what they're wanting to roleplay I will gladly step in as a male role.

My favorite males to roleplay as are Loki Odinson and Dean Winchester But I also have done some stuff with Young Justice.

Phaena
doe-hearted girl

Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM

I'll play either gender. I find myself rping males more however. It depends on the plots and what others want to do.

Uniplex
Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sic...

Old 05-15-2014, 06:09 PM

I very rarely roleplay, and I prefer roleplaying as a girl.
I find it very hard to try to put myself in a guy's 'mindset' when roleplaying. The only way I could ever is if I was roleplaying a gay man that's extremely feminine lol! I need to start rping more... o,o

Eggplant
Chicken

Old 05-30-2014, 04:43 AM

i dont really have a preference. though im pretty sure i havent roleplayed as a guy in about 5 years. ;v;
....thooough im pretty sure that's because all of my guy characters arent the best >w>;
so id switch if i needed to, but i think id rather be female. with all the experience and whatnot.

SUPERKICKS
Nutmeg

Old 05-30-2014, 10:53 PM

I like Rping as both genders.

However, I definitely prefer playing a female. Mostly because all my female characters are rather strong in their personality, nothing like "Oooh pity me. I'm a damsel in distress. boo hoo" sort of females. Just, like, an average strong character who tries to fight through everything.

However, if I think up a really good male character that I like to play, I do enjoy playing the male characters I make.

VeraDark
fgsfds

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 AM

I haven't done much forum-type RP lately, but joining here kind of makes me want to.

I am equally comfortable with both male and female characters, probably because I used roleplaying and storytelling games to help me sort out my own gender confusion issues when I was younger. Having an environment where it was both safe and fun to pretend made it a lot easier to act out and imagine how all sorts of people think and feel, and it's really helped me with making believable characters too, characters who are all different from each other but still fit together in a story.

I do a lot of writing, mostly fiction, which is all character-driven, and before that I played a lot of tabletop storytelling RPGs, and the best advice I can give to anyone who isn't comfortable with (or is afraid of failure at) roleplaying a character of a different gender, is that the only way to overcome the dread of it is to do it. We tell stories, whether we write them or act them out, and growing as storytellers and actors is all about overcoming the obstacles we imagine. And the only way to overcome fear of embarassment is to wade neck-deep in it. Once you see that you've survived, and have a good laugh, you become invincible.

There's nothing to be afraid of as far as failure goes, it's a character in a story, and you're simply voicing it, playing it out loud. And we've all seen so many shows and movies and so forth that each and every one of us knows exactly how the genders interact together and separately from each other, and the archetypal (stereotypical?) behaviors of each. I'd say at least try it and see if it's fun. If nothing else, you'll have more confidence in yourself playing the roles you prefer, having gotten some experience of other types of roles.

I find it useful on forums like this sometimes to make my mule account a boy, because then I have a ready-made boy costume for such roles. It can be a lot of fun sometimes, especially getting mistaken for the opposite gender due to pixel confusion.

The first time someone argued with me that there was no way I wasn't a boy, I knew I'd made it. Of course, having the word "katana" in that character's screen name probably helped a little. XD

Last edited by VeraDark; 06-12-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Heolstor
Buggie Masked Heartbroker Queen

Old 06-12-2014, 01:39 PM

I can also play both genders equally, though I lean to play males more than females.

SilverKnightHawk
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 AM

When I roleplay I tend to pick female characters, although I have a pretty even 'cast' of characters that I enjoy writing with. It also depends on my partner's preference. I'm definitely more confident when playing a female character, but if the rp has no other males, or if my partner(s) would prefer a male character, I am certainly willing to try!

Ironically, my longest running rp was with a male character, so, perhaps I'm better at them than I thought?

My main oc's right now are a brother-sister pair that I only ever write together (i.e. Vince never shows up without Drei being close behind, and the same goes for if she shows up), which has definitely forced me to get better at writing boys :P Trying to get the right balance between 'selfish mama's boy' and 'badass demonic assassin' for him has definitely been a challenge. (I've been trying to play around with personality weaknesses, to get a bit more emotional depth in my characters)

2Femme
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-20-2014, 03:50 AM

I don't really have a preference - it usually just depends on the plot and what fits it best. Male, female, trans*, non-binary, agendered, genderqueer.... I've had characters of many different gender identities. :)

3Squirrels
>.>

Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 AM

I don't really have a preference, to be honest. I'll RP whatever suits the character most when I create them; this has included male, female, trans and nonbinary in past. It's all dependent on who the character is as a person, not what I want myself.

I know that sounds weird, but my characters seem to decide for themselves who they are and I don't really direct it much outside the basics.

Hau
i'm so Awful

Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

i have a a few ocs and their genders and identities are all over the spectrum. i mostly rp monsters, demons, maybe spirits so when it comes to determining a gender for them, sometimes i feel it's important and sometimes i don't think it's relevant to think about a demon's gender. a lot of my monster characters are genderfluid though, because it gives me more freedom as a writer to expand the character c:

ButterflyofGrey
Living in Ratio/Birthday Heaven

Old 06-28-2014, 11:24 PM

While I tend to roleplay male characters, I do roleplay female ones. To me it just all depends on what I get muse for canon-wise and what muses come to me for OC-wise.

allycat
daddy's kitten

Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 AM

I've never roleplayed as a guy mainly because when I rp I do it with a guy. I'm a writer so I do have experience writing from a male pov but I prefer to be a girl

Puffpu
Puffpu loves to snuggle

Old 04-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Puffpu
xxxxx... Everyone is cute in there own way ...
xxxxxxxxxx... Don't let others dull your shine ...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I can do both, I still do both. However I find its easier for me to roleplay male. I often find my self having fun rping more as a guy then a girl. I don't know why just always been that way. haha. c:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... Stars are all shapes and sizes and so are we, So tell your self you are beautiful and cute ...xxxxx
Prince Cute Puffx

CycloneKira
Shoot to kill

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM

I've only played as a male once so far in my five months of RPing, and I'm enjoying it. Mostly I prefer playing a female, because I'm a girl.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 04-19-2015, 03:05 AM

I don't really have a preferred gender, as I switch genders based on the roleplay. I mean, I roleplay whatever gender I feel would fit best in that particular scenario.

So, I mean, I guess lately I've been playing more men than I'd like to. But it's not my "preferred" gender, I don't think. But then, neither is female. I'll admit, I have more fun with male characters, but I would like to expand my roleplay abilities and play a more equal balance of male and female characters.

CrotchetyCrab
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-01-2015, 05:26 PM

I'm about 50/50 on role-playing females and males. The females I do role-play tend to be the more assertive and in charge, though, and are usually gay. When I play as a male, he's nearly always the forwards one as well.

I guess it really depends on what your partner is asking for, and what you agree upon together.

Edit: Did not notice how long it's been since this forum was posted in :'(

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 08-03-2016, 05:09 AM

I can't say I have a preference, as, well... I've never RPed in this manner.

I actually have the germ of an idea for a character, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it, as the character's background might involve some form of godmoding, because this character is a metahuman/mutant... just that the mutation isn't what you'd expect.

Peachschnebly

Old 08-20-2016, 07:59 PM

Female or model endogenous.

Q U E E N
spooky scary skeletons
Send a message via AIM to Q U E E N

Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM

I'm a big fan of playing female characters since roleplaying is an extension of my fantasies & I identify as a female.

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 01-13-2017, 07:16 PM

I love playing Female characters. I often envision myself as whomever I am roleplaying as. Since I am female, it is easiest to play as a female character.

Hau
i'm so Awful

Old 01-17-2017, 03:10 AM

I used to lean more towards female characters/femme presenting characters but now I definitely go for male characters and male presenting. I'm not sure if that's because of the changing tides with my own gender preference or if maybe I just feel less constricted lately because I'm older and understand that I don't have to play a girl just because I look like one lmao.