Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 PM

I'm excited to see/buy what you came up with!

I'm doing really, really well. Well... I'm feeling good. Pretty buzzed off of all this Wendy Davis business.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
*uses this to plot part of her scavanger hunt*

yay lets hunt some pirates!
pirate huuunt!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascadellia View Post
Maria: Oh? How did you manage That? XD But, bowls are useful. And plates.
My aunt only has one plate, one bowl and one set of utensils. Nothing else. XD
lol! It was very awkward trying to heat things up in a bowl sometimes - like a piece of pizza...didn't work very well XD

haha yeah! I could totally get by with one bowl/etc...but when friends come over...that doesn't work well XD

---------- Post added 06-27-2013 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

I'm doing really, really well. Well... I'm feeling good. Pretty buzzed off of all this Wendy Davis business.
Buzzed off is good or bad? XDD

haha - hopefully people like the stuff we made for the event! I can't wait until next Friday D:

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 PM

It's a good buzz.
She represents my district when I'm back in the US.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM

I'm totally interested in seeing what the commons will be! > w<
Also, we're going on another airship ride? O: I need to pack yet again!

M i r o
Comatose

Old 06-27-2013, 10:28 PM

So... it's an official event? Nothing related to the Phoenix Jubilee?

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM

This time you might want to pack some uh... Something for you to snack on...
*shuffles away, wide eyed*

You're looking a bit green there, Kent. Not air-sick already I hope..? O_O;;

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

I'm avoiding tumblr right now because i'm already stressed from some life issues. And last time I was on my dash was exploding with stuff about that. And it made me really angry. i don't need angry on top of my super emotional roller coaster today.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
It's a good buzz.
She represents my district when I'm back in the US.
Haha okay - I wasn't sure XD I've heard that used in both good and bad ways XD

The fact that she did what she did for something she believes in is so powerful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I'm totally interested in seeing what the commons will be! > w<
Also, we're going on another airship ride? O: I need to pack yet again!
Haha - you'll have to ask someone else about the activities *not sure about them* lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
So... it's an official event? Nothing related to the Phoenix Jubilee?
Well...it IS an official event! And it's like a continuation of Phoenix Jubilee. The Phoenix Jubilee is over and we are still missing our NPCs...so we are still hunting for them :)

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
I'm avoiding tumblr right now because i'm already stressed from some life issues. And last time I was on my dash was exploding with stuff about that. And it made me really angry. i don't need angry on top of my super emotional roller coaster today.
I wasn't bringing it up to make anyone angry. I was just answering Maria's question. O_o;

Sorry you've been having a rough time.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM

I jsut felt like commenting on it. xD You didn't. I'm fine right now. Just that night it was all happening I was on tumblr and went from super happy to raging when i read it. I'm glad she won though.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
Haha okay - I wasn't sure XD I've heard that used in both good and bad ways XD

The fact that she did what she did for something she believes in is so powerful!
It is. This is the second time she's filibustered- the first was to keep the funding for Texas schools at a somewhat sane level (the bill would have reduced funding heavily).

Past that, she's a moderate...~

Anyways, I'm not that politically minded, it just made me a bit proud. ^_^;

M i r o
Comatose

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Minamino View Post
Well...it IS an official event! And it's like a continuation of Phoenix Jubilee. The Phoenix Jubilee is over and we are still missing our NPCs...so we are still hunting for them :)
Okedokey. Well, we had the Shipwreck thing and that wasn't an official event.
So, I wasn't sure. But thanks.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
It is. This is the second time she's filibustered- the first was to keep the funding for Texas schools at a somewhat sane level (the bill would have reduced funding heavily).

Past that, she's a moderate...~

Anyways, I'm not that politically minded, it just made me a bit proud. ^_^;
I don't give opinions on politics really except to my family. I am especially careful posting anything online in my real name because I don't want some person who has the power to fire me from a job see it, not agree, and fire me.

Either way - I don't get involved in politics often...regardless of how I feel on any issue...what she did was an inspiration. She stood up for her beliefs and REALLY showed them who was boss :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
Okedokey. Well, we had the Shipwreck thing and that wasn't an official event.
So, I wasn't sure. But thanks.
OOOH I see! XD I was on a hiatus way back during the Shipwreck event XDDD I forgot about that! XD

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
This time you might want to pack some uh... Something for you to snack on...
*shuffles away, wide eyed*

You're looking a bit green there, Kent. Not air-sick already I hope..? O_O;;
Ah, yes, I'll make sure to remember that.

Eh? D: This is my natural skin color. I'm perfectly healthy~ :D

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 PM

That's really wise.

In my freshman year at university an English instructor was trying to get more people to interact so she booked a room that had a messaging system between our computers. We were told we had to at least reply to so many of the questions being asked but were encouraged to reply to all of them. One came up that was about why students are timid about writing about their personal political/religious views and I replied that I was afraid that the instructor would not agree and grade me more severely.

She was pretty outraged that someone should say something like that, and even though she stressed that we would be pretty much anonymous with our responses she called me out by name, out loud, and told me that she would never do that. I had to explain that I've known people who were judged and graded that way (both of my sisters, in fact) for the very same reason (political views) and I wasn't just saying something to be offensive. I had a reason to fear it. While this is going on the message thing was going crazy with people basically agreeing with me-- with you and I now-- that it's really terrifying, the consequences of saying what you feel is right and wrong when you don't know how others will react.

<_< Basically when I pointed out everyone in the class was agreeing with me for the same reason (having experienced it themselves or second hand) she had to stop scolding me.

It pained me to see her so upset by it so I stayed after to tell her that it wasn't a slight on her at all, just an observation from others. My fear was not personally assigned to anyone.

O_O This is a deep Pre-Hangout thread.
Fitting for pirates.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Oop, I was just checking Mene before bed so I'll duck out again now. Sorry for interrupting your discussion.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 PM

@Mythos - That reminds me of a friend on here who said she was given a bad grade because she said on a survey that she had no interest in the class she was taking and was only taking it because it was required. I really find it hard to believe that instructors would give grades based on the opinions of a student. D:

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 06-27-2013, 10:59 PM

RAWR!

I will burn them and get the NPCs back! ^_^

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Wow, that's really nasty if that's true...
I know some instructors can take their material seriously, but to grade them on how they feel about the material... why they are there... that's really rough.

-- That's your natural skin color, though? It's... certainly a natural color... Like leafs... O_O;

Yay, Dragoness! You go get them! :D

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 PM

idk what to dress up as for this event.

I should be a priate.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 PM

Dystopia: A pirate with a twist though! Pirate... clown?

Undead pirate clown? (I'm curious to see if that phrase will attract the attention of Captain Howdy...)

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's really nasty if that's true...
I know some instructors can take their material seriously, but to grade them on how they feel about the material... why they are there... that's really rough.

-- That's your natural skin color, though? It's... certainly a natural color... Like leafs... O_O;
Yeah, I'd hate to think that it's true. o xo I really hope it's not.

It's a very handsome color, don't you think? ;D

Undead pirate crown? Well, I've certainly seen an undead clown already.
I'm interested in seeing a pirate clown, though. o 3o

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
That's really wise.

In my freshman year at university an English instructor was trying to get more people to interact so she booked a room that had a messaging system between our computers. We were told we had to at least reply to so many of the questions being asked but were encouraged to reply to all of them. One came up that was about why students are timid about writing about their personal political/religious views and I replied that I was afraid that the instructor would not agree and grade me more severely.

She was pretty outraged that someone should say something like that, and even though she stressed that we would be pretty much anonymous with our responses she called me out by name, out loud, and told me that she would never do that. I had to explain that I've known people who were judged and graded that way (both of my sisters, in fact) for the very same reason (political views) and I wasn't just saying something to be offensive. I had a reason to fear it. While this is going on the message thing was going crazy with people basically agreeing with me-- with you and I now-- that it's really terrifying, the consequences of saying what you feel is right and wrong when you don't know how others will react.

<_< Basically when I pointed out everyone in the class was agreeing with me for the same reason (having experienced it themselves or second hand) she had to stop scolding me.

It pained me to see her so upset by it so I stayed after to tell her that it wasn't a slight on her at all, just an observation from others. My fear was not personally assigned to anyone.

O_O This is a deep Pre-Hangout thread.
Fitting for pirates.
I have felt that way the past year. I worked the past year at a Catholic School. (My first year teaching...I'm a music teacher). I'm not saying this to start anything with anyone - this is my personal belief being used just for an example about not being able to say things that I belive....but I just don't believe in the Church. I feel like going to church is having to pay to be "forgiven." When I went to church when I was young, all they ever did was talk about donations for this and that and my parents HAD to donate so much just to be considered a member. In addition, they had to do community church service. My mom could never make the stuff at the church that was put together because she would go volunteer at hospitals in the ward with terminally ill babies and children. When my mom tried to explain that it WAS service and should be considered...they laughed at her and said, "No. It has to be at our church." So we left the church.

But I took this job because it was the first job offer I got to be a teacher. I wasn't about to pass this up in hopes that another school I interviewed at would call me. What if no other school called me? So I took the job...and I just had to bite my tongue all year with everything that was said. Comments like, "Catholic Schools are SOOO much better than Public. NO teacher cares about the students in a public school" would piss me off and so on. I had plenty of teachers who cared for me and made a big different in my life and they were all in public schools.

I couldn't say that I was living with roommates. Because I was warned by the Vice Principal that an angry parent could say that I was either A) Sleeping with my male roommate or B) Was a lesbian and sleeping with my female roommate. Then the angry parent could go to the school board and they would fire me. This came directly from the Vice Principal because it happened to her male friend who was a Vice Principal. He got fired because he had a male roommate (they were just friends) but someone got angry at him and said he was in a gay relationship.

Also - the health care didn't include birth control under the plan after a certain date because they said they no longer wanted to provide for it because they didn't believe in it. They don't know the reason and person takes Birth Control. It could be any number of reasons from helping with hormone levels to helping alleviate periods to having sex. They don't know what reason I was taking it for. But in there eyes it was all about sex and preventing life. So they stopped offering it which screwed over a TON of female teachers!

So I bit my tongue and never said a word but to friends and my parents. But I am now out of there - I got an offer at a Public School closer to home starting in the fall and I can't wait!!

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 PM

Kent: I'm sure one of them will be floating out there. *eyes coast*

Ee! I'm so excited for you, Maria!
It's really hard working in environments like that. I suppose you could look at it as a test of will. You managed to get through it without turning someone over on their head despite having bad (or at least not savory) experiences previously. Not all public schools are bad... honestly it depends on the year and the kids more than the organization but you know that. You were just saying that. xD

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Kent: I'm sure one of them will be floating out there. *eyes coast*

Ee! I'm so excited for you, Maria!
It's really hard working in environments like that. I suppose you could look at it as a test of will. You managed to get through it without turning someone over on their head despite having bad (or at least not savory) experiences previously. Not all public schools are bad... honestly it depends on the year and the kids more than the organization but you know that. You were just saying that. xD
In my opinion there are some great public schools and terrible public schools. There are also some great private schools and terrible private schools. But ALL the teachers there had the mentality that they were better teachers than those who teach in public school. I don't know where they would get that idea!! Some of them were AMAZING teachers and some of them not. So I don't know.

The school I'm going to has an excellent history of music education. So I'm really honored to be in this new school!