Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Hello everyone, I've been writing a story for some time off and on and I'm encouraged to rethink the whole thing again. So I'm in great need of making a new name for her. Because I'm planning on leaving Menewsha I had opened an art request thread here: Going out with a Bang! Art Request Thread
The thread has gotten me spurred on to keep finding the perfect name.

Starts: Monday, March 2nd

Ends: Tuesday, March 17th ENDED

Rules:
- Follow the rules of the site
- Try not to repeat names
- Don't get upset if I don't pick yours

Last edited by Rvaya; 03-18-2009 at 08:23 AM..

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Character Description:

Gargoyle Form
Skin: She has dark purple skin and the under area of her wings is a little purple with more blue hues.
Eyes: Pale blue becoming dark around the iris and edges. They seem to glow at all times but that is just because of the color against her dark purple skin.
Ears: They are pointed but not quite as high as a drow's.
Hair: It is long jet black with blue undertones. It often hangs to her mid-back. While in this form it is often filled with elaborate braids and elaborate weaving.
Abilities: Her klan has always had one member through their existence that could become human during the dark if they choose to. Once that person dies it passes to someone else. It is the first time in their history that this ability has gone to the royal line. Usually it goes to the strongest warrior or the most loyal of their generation. They are meant to be spies on humans to make sure they were not being hunted and bring news back to their king. She does not have to turn into a gargoyle at night but she can if she wants. But during the day if she changes she will turn instantly to stone.
Clothes: Generally something that exposes her stomach. Her armor is often her clothes as well.
Weapons: In her everyday weapons it is daggers that she keeps on her hips or on around her outer thigh. If it is war then she also keeps a long sword.

Human Form
Skin: It is pale white most of the time it is not often she enjoys feeling the sun harsh against her.
Eyes: Pale blue becoming dark around the iris and edges. They seem to glow at all times but that is just because of the color against her dark purple skin.
Ears: She has normal human ears in this form.
Hair: It is long jet black with blue undertones. It often hangs to her mid-back.
Clothes: She dresses rather polished. She prefers wearing blacks and clothes that keep her on the edge of modern fashion.
Job: She lives in the New York these days after leaving her klan because of a long story I won't list here. She has lived for over 800 years so far and runs a very high end antique business in Manhattan.

Prizes:

1st Prize: or - Choice between Dove or Raven Anklewings
2nd Prize: The left over choice of the first place winner
Honorable Mention:

Last edited by Rvaya; 03-02-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM

Names:

I'm wondering if there should be a variation of her name for more modern times seeing as she is very old her original name would have rather ancient origins. If you have two options for this please say them both in one form.

Quote:
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion:
Explanation: Please explain the name you've picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaggha View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: For her old name, Macha. For her modern incarnation, Liberty.
Explanation: The past name is one of the names associated with the Morrigan, a Celtic triple goddess of war and a keeper of death. I figured it was fitting for a fighter/protector of a Celtic place, as a gargoyle probably would have been. The modern name is taken from the Statue of Liberty, and a play on what she now has from her Klan - a freedom to be who she wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunsa-chan View Post

HELLO I HAVE A NAME!

Suggestion: Amelia
Explanation: Amelia is a very fine, strong name in my mind. I can easily imagine someone with your characters background having this name ( I gandered that she was Royalty, yet also a warrior from her gargoyle description), but also able to KEEP the name as a polished modern woman. (Amelia's Antiques. Has a nice ring. 8D )
It also means Industrious and admiring.
-Sidenote- There are also multiple spelling variations. I like this one though. It's easy to spell. D:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:

Suggestion: Alastair or Alastrina (for her "old name"); Alesta, Alex, or Alison as the modern equivalent.
Explanation: I wanted to pick something that had direct ties with Scotland so all of them do, including the modern variations. Alastair, Alastrina, Alesta, and Alex are all a Scottish variation of the name Alexandra, which means "man's defender". I'm not sure what your character's stance is on humans, but I interpreted it to mean the defender of her clan rather than of humanity as she inherited their unique gift.

I tossed Alison in there since it sounds similar to the others, but it actually means "noble, exalted" which also ties into her background because she's royalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Lavulite, Lavinia
Explanation: Royal Lavulite is the trade name of Sugilite. Lavinia sounds a little more modern, but still mature and somewhat refined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblackrose View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Old name Breanna and modern name Kendra.
Explanation: Both names are Celtic/Gaelic in origin. Breanna means warrior which is fitting since she is a fighter/protector. Kendra means ruler of the valley. It's a mature name and is somewhat unique while still connecting with the old world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhitler View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:

Names: Old:Rianna New: Aria
Reason: Rianna sounds like a midevil themed name and also is the name I used to call my baby cousin (her name was Adrianna) until she died :'( . For the new name, it sounds modern, evil, but good all at the same time, annnddddd is the name on my baby sister :) shes 2 years old :):)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawliet358 View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: old name - Gene; modern name - Jade
Explanation: Gene means 'born of nobility' and she is of the royal blood. As for Jade, it is a name for the precious stone and I feel like it just fits xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopdidoodoo View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Leah
Explanation: Please explain the name you've picked. The name I picked has a meaning in an old fashioned type of sense. In tribal years in Egypt many were named because of their profession or history that were bound to them. Leah means Mistress.

I hope you like this name
I read it recently in a book I'm currently reading called The Red Tent and I thought it might suit this character as it has a meaning that is a bit dark like the character in question
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Hime* View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Chiyoko
Explanation: Japanese female name that means 'Child of a thousand generations' or also commonly translated as 'Child of forever'. For the modern name, I'd suggest using the abbreviation: Chiyo, which sounds a bit more modern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisou View Post
HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: old name - Deirdre or Amara (variation: Amaras); modern name - Keira (also spelled Kiera)
Explanation:
- Deirdre is a Scottish name, which means raging, broken-hearted, or fear. I figured that since she left her clan there might be some bad blood between them and might be broken-hearted. I also think it sounds old/unearthly.
- Amara is a Greek/Latin name, meaning unfading, eternal and bitter, sour. I thought that the eternal part of it fit in well since she is immortal/has lived for 800 years. XD And bitter since she left her clan. I liked the meaning of this one, but the possessive of Amaras (Amaras's) seems hard to pronounce...lol
- Keira is an Irish name, meaning black-haired. Which is fitting, and I just happen to like that name. XD

....I hope you're still taking suggestions....I had found this when you first made it, then forgot that I had never actually posted mine....:sweat:

Last edited by Rvaya; 03-17-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 PM

I know declare this place open! And I'm off to bed n_n;;

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM

Good luck on your contest. :)

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 AM

I have a few questions, before I get around to naming: She is based around the Disney Gargoyles, right? If so, what sort of historical background does she come from, then? Celt, French, South American? Or is she from a fantasy universe, and lived around elves or orc kingdoms?

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-03-2009, 03:14 AM

Do you want a more modern sounding name or something that sounds like one of those run-of-the-mill fantasy names?

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Yes she is from Scotland I forgot to mention that n_~

And for a modern name that would be one that she uses these days in New York for a more professional complicity. It could be a variation of an older sounding name or a new one all together.

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

Perfect, thank you! =3

I'll get to work today.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Can you enter more than one suggestion? Also, are you looking only for a first name or a full name, plus possible modern variation?

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM

HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
My name: For her old name, Macha. For her modern incarnation, Liberty.
Name(s): The past name is one of the names associated with the Morrigan, a Celtic triple goddess of war and a keeper of death. I figured it was fitting for a fighter/protector of a Celtic place, as a gargoyle probably would have been. The modern name is taken from the Statue of Liberty, and a play on what she now has from her Klan - a freedom to be who she wants.

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Yes you can suggest more then one n_n If it looks like people are abusing that then I might put a limit.

Chunsa-chan
Sarang hanindea yo~

Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 AM

HELLO I HAVE A NAME!
My name- Amelia
Name Reason- Amelia is a very fine, strong name in my mind. I can easily imagine someone with your characters background having this name ( I gandered that she was Royalty, yet also a warrior from her gargoyle description), but also able to KEEP the name as a polished modern woman. (Amelia's Antiques. Has a nice ring. 8D )
It also means Industrious and admiring.
-Sidenote- There are also multiple spelling variations. I like this one though. It's easy to spell. D:

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Great Thanks for the name! n_n

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM

HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:

Names: Alastair or Alastrina (for her "old name"); Alesta, Alex, or Alison as the modern equivalent.
Reason: I wanted to pick something that had direct ties with Scotland so all of them do, including the modern variations. Alastair, Alastrina, Alesta, and Alex are all a Scottish variation of the name Alexandra, which means "man's defender". I'm not sure what your character's stance is on humans, but I interpreted it to mean the defender of her clan rather than of humanity as she inherited their unique gift.

I tossed Alison in there since it sounds similar to the others, but it actually means "noble, exalted" which also ties into her background because she's royalty.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 AM

HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Lavulite, Lavinia
Explanation: Royal Lavulite is the trade name of Sugilite. Lavinia sounds a little more modern, but still mature and somewhat refined.

Ferra
ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 AM

@Dystopia: Ooo, that's quite pretty!

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Great I've got the last two up as well n_n

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 PM

There's some really awesome suggestions coming through here. I always like seeing other people's suggestions for this sort of thing - gives me good ideas for character names later. XD

blueblackrose
Take my darkest fears and play t...

Penpal
Send a message via MSN to blueblackrose

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 PM

HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: Old name Breanna and modern name Kendra.
Explanation: Both names are Celtic/Gaelic in origin. Breanna means warrior which is fitting since she is a fighter/protector. Kendra means ruler of the valley. It's a mature name and is somewhat unique while still connecting with the old world.

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! -adds-

lilhitler

Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM

HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:

Names: Old:Rianna New: Aria
Reason: Rianna sounds like a midevil themed name and also is the name I used to call my baby cousin (her name was Adrianna) until she died :'( . For the new name, it sounds modern, evil, but good all at the same time, annnddddd is the name on my baby sister :) shes 2 years old :):)

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Nice one n_n Thanks!

lawliet358
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 AM

[HELLO! I HAVE A NAME:
Suggestion: old name - Gene; modern name - Jade
Explanation: Gene means 'born of nobility' and she is of the royal blood. As for Jade, it is a name for the precious stone and I feel like it just fits xD

Rvaya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Great more names! n_n