sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 PM

xD That's only cause people drag opinions with them, when they give children those dolls. I had bunch of barbie dolls and I loved them to bits. I never looked at them as perfect body thing, only that many of them had beautiful hair and faces, but never "omg, i will become anorexic and do everything to be like them". They were kind and beautiful fairies to me and they did not corrupt me in any way, only help my imagination take first flights.

Queen_Andais
I move the stars for no one.

Penpal

Old 09-13-2011, 02:55 AM

For most people that is true Sadrain, but the sorry truth is that lots of people do idolize barbie in an unhealthy fashion. Much like people do with models and actresses. There is an obsession with being skinny, not healthy, but skinny.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 09-13-2011, 04:39 PM

But even if I did agree to that, only to the fact it could be one of aspects, weapons that popularize the thinness/anorexia cult. And, it is only then, when the whole world, starting from TV and girl's own mother (who runs to fitness center four times a week, diets crazily, etc.), implants this view. If there is healthy lookout at things, and it is explained, then none of it happens.
So, it is very indirectly barbie fault and in my eyes, they are not disgusting in any way. I also don't think some part of being "skinny" and fit is bad, as long as you're not all bones and skin only.

Queen_Andais
I move the stars for no one.

Penpal

Old 09-14-2011, 04:14 AM

Could just be that I am not that girly girl. Had tonka toys and gi joes, not barbies. Was more horse crazy then anything else.

True, there are lots of factors that contribute to people having issues with their body types and struggling with weight. However, we as a society are extremely saturated with ads for losing weight, diets, lap bands, cosmetic surgery. All these things tell you that the way you are is not good enough so augment, enhance, subtract or add to who you are and make yourself better. Fit a mold and you'll be happier. And while not everyone sees it that way, kids are impressionable with this kind of information and let's face it, most parents do not take the time to explain to their kids all the things they are exposed too.