Overton Transpire
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 PM

So I'm sure a few of us have had... issues with games we were playing. Issues that made them stop being fun. Issues that made us put them down and never touch them again.

In my case, I was going through Kingdom Hearts and having a fairly decent time of it. Then I ran into a boss whose attack patterns took a bit of work to get down. (I forget which.)

Since I despise pure grinding, I hadn't expanded my magic meter much and my defense was low. Since I had gotten new spells recently, I was trying them out to see how good they were against bosses. Since I was new to the boss, I was taking big hits and having to heal often, which burned my magic meter the rest of the way down.

"Well," I said to myself, "I'll just page through the in-combat menus to go to my usable items and suck down a potion."

I promptly remembered that, instead of mapping camera control to the right analog and the menu to the shoulder buttons, Square Enix had mapped camera control to the shoulders and the menu to the D-pad.

In order to navigate the menu, I would have to remove my thumb from the left stick and eat every single attack the boss threw.

Upon reloading after that failed run, I went into the options and found that I could not remap the camera and menu controls to be more usable. Despite the fact (which I knew from seeing someone else fight a late-game boss) that you were supposed to navigate the menu in battle to reach special commands for late-game bosses.

One rage-fueled rant about bad control design later, I had the game back in its case and proceeded to leave it there until my stepbrother moved to his mom's place and took it with him. I don't think he ever played it again, either.

So what made you rage-quit a game?

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 AM

I think it was intended for it to be difficult to select spells in KH. I happen to really like the special commands menu. L1 + Triangle Square X FTW

I was playing Twilight Princess and had just made it to the Palace of Twilight, and goddamnit that part is so fucking annoying. You had to pick up this giant glowing ball and take it all the way across the palace through jump obstacles and whatnot, and for the entire time there's this scary ass giant floating hand trying to take the ball back. I swear that part made me want to chuck my remote at the screen.

And when I realized I had to do it twice... ):<

Reykins

Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 AM

In Devil Survivor I got annoyed with the excessive level grinding needed to stand a chance against a really tough boss. Only the main character can damage him and a bunch of weaker enemies come and heal the boss and attack the only one who can defeat the boss. If it wasn't for the need to keep grinding, I would of played it to the end.

I got turned off from Starfy, because it was too boring and simple.

I don't like levels that were made by blind three-year olds with brain cancer as evidenced by Mega Man X6. The live system is pointless, because when you lose all your lives, you can go back to the checkpoints in stages as if you never got a "game over." I also don't like how one of the bosses is undefeatable without a certain armor and you have to lost all of your lives in order to go back to the map menu. Did I mention that those so-called lives that you have to lose to get back to the map menu are completely useless and serve nothing more than a henderence?

I don't like most 3D Sonic games, because all the secondary characters overshadow Sonic.

[Chip]
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM

I've totally forgotten the name of the game, but it was for XBox [already not one of my favorites], and was a fantasy based game similar to Champions of Norath. Well, my dad and I had finally reached that level where you can get the mounts for the game. We promptly went to the island of the beasties, did the grueling quest, and walked away with our ridiculously expensive pets. Not long after our purchase, we were discovering the joys of mounts and how your attacks increase depending on the type of animal that you got. I was getting a little bit deep into a mob and suddenly my character was on the ground and my tiger was rolling over. I was so very confused and tried the remount button, and nothing happened. When venturing to my inventory to see where the bugger ran away to, I found that it was no longer there. My mount had died.
I proceeded to go through the same quest and same dying experience about three times until I think that I threw the control and tried not to cry because of how frustrating it was being. Needless to say, I haven't completed the game.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risque View Post
I was playing Twilight Princess and had just made it to the Palace of Twilight, and goddamnit that part is so fucking annoying. You had to pick up this giant glowing ball and take it all the way across the palace through jump obstacles and whatnot, and for the entire time there's this scary ass giant floating hand trying to take the ball back. I swear that part made me want to chuck my remote at the screen.
The giant floating hand....not a new enemy for Zelda...In fact I remember struggling in the dungeon on Wind Waker where I think you got the mirror shield because of the same guys. I know what you mean! It took a lot of swearing and getting flustered to get through that place!

I dunno my ultimate 'rage' moment...I have so many I kinda ran out of fingers to count. :XD It's not unheard of me to put down a game for 6 months and pick it up on a whim. I did that with Xenogears, and I'm so glad I ended up picking that back up as the part where I got stuck was when you got thrown in jail and it was before the story took a turn to awesomeness. I would of totally missed that and never finished one of the best RPGs of all time. :XD

eds_girl101

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 AM

I get mad enough to stop a game for a while but then when I cool down, I play it again and I can then beat what I'm having problems with. The best example for me is Sonic Riders. I get so P.Oed at Sonic when I can't win a race. Right now though, I'm ticked at Wave because I can't get through this stupid track but give it a week and it'll be no problem. Try going back to KH; if your brother still has it at least.....

Mitsunari
Never gonna take me down.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:37 PM

play Championship Manager 10 for about five miniutes and then you'll see everything that makes me mad about computer games.

Firstly a bit of background history. Championship Manager was a game published by Edios and developed by a company know as Sports Interactive. There was a disput between the two and after a court battle it was ruled that Sports Interactive own the datebase and coding behind the game Edios out the IP title Championship Manager. After Sport Interactive signed a new deal with Sega to publish Football Manager 2005 and onward. Basicly the old Championship Manager under a new title and Edios created Bueatful Game Studio and started from square one created the current Championship Manager.

As a promo they ran a pre order copie offer named pay what you want. Intrested as a qualifed game design i went and deciced to take them up on the offer. Having played it now though i have nothing but problems. The user interface is difficult to master, the processing time before games is horrible, looks like they tried to copie to FM interface and just failed.. The match engine looks nice but the player AI makes them look like a bunch of school children running around a park. I can't take it anymore for that game.

Normally i play save that last upto 30-40 season on CM10 i just can't see me ever getting that far. 5-10 minites processing already after two season. And as more of the game is played and the datebase grows thats going to get worst. It was a good attempt but just poor for Edios and BGS. Compleate offput from the game for the time being.

Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. You can only play a round so many times before it gets annoying.

I tend to want to keep all of my characters alive, but some of those are rather hard and people die. So, I start the level over again. I just can't stand loosing a character and having the other ones rant at me about how I got them killed. So, I played a bunch of the levels multiple times and eventually said "Screw it I'm going to play something else."

Siri
\(@O@)ʌ...
Send a message via AIM to Siri

Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 PM

@Sho-Shonojo: Lol, I actually feel the opposite way with Fire Emblem games. I'm so angry in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon because you have to choose characters to kill off. And to get extra characters/scenarios, you have to keep the amount of characters in your party low. ;____;

Veiss Wynd
Character Modeler

Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 PM

>..> Yea. My PS2 stopped reading my second Legend of Dragoon disc. I was at the end of that disc too. Beat the boss that will give me the water dragoon spirit. After beating said boss, it kept freezing on the exp screen. Tried it 4 times. Then I gave up - No moar fun D:

MrJetta
Legal Assassin
Send a message via AIM to MrJetta Send a message via MSN to MrJetta Send a message via Yahoo to MrJetta

Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 AM

One of the games that gave me fits was Need For Speed: Most Wanted. The final challenge is to get away from the cops and helicopters and rodablocks and such. Easy right? WRONG! They are literally around every turn and you have to outrun and out think them for like 5 minutes before your allowed to get into the area you gotta get to in order to beat it. By the time you get that call youve been screaming for, your like 100 miles away and you gotta back track through the city to get to it. First time I did it, I didn't have a strategy really and only took me about 4 1/2 hours to get past that part... I lost my voice and 2 controllers in the process because everytime I'd last the 5 minutes of running all over the city avoiding the cops and such, I'd get busted close to the end point.

Theres also been a few bosses in the Final Fantasy games that have given me fits too...

Aaawhyme
The Almighty One: Pekoe!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:13 AM

Hmm... I know what you mean by that type of 'disappointment/anger' from certain games. I mean, some games would be amazing if only it weren't for a certain battle system or a part of the storyline or something.

The game that did that to me is Xenosaga 1. -eyetwitch-

I have to be completely honest though, I loved that game. It was so fun, but SO HARD! I know what I did wrong though... I sort of never trained and always avoided monsters.

SOMEHOW I made it to the very last boss and I'm like... a lower level then I totally should be. I mean, like thirty levels lower than I should be... and so yeah, I quit playing because there is no way I can win the part of the game and I don't have the heart to restart. :<

Superga

Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiss Wynd View Post
>..> Yea. My PS2 stopped reading my second Legend of Dragoon disc. I was at the end of that disc too. Beat the boss that will give me the water dragoon spirit. After beating said boss, it kept freezing on the exp screen. Tried it 4 times. Then I gave up - No moar fun D:
My friend had this same problem with his PS2. We actually looked it up online and apparently this is a problem with something on all the disks that are the "greatest hits" version of the game, when played on a PS2. Apparently, if you play through that entire fight without anyone turning into a dragoon, it won't do that. Not sure if that's 100% guaranteed to work, but we tried it, and one really looong fight later, we managed to beat the boss, and it actually worked.

Amicus
Abandoned Account

Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Actually, Persona 3. I get annoyed with it very easily while training in Tartarus. You spend hours and hours training in that damned place, only to die by some stupid fluke and have to start all over again.

:| It hasn't angered me to the point of quitting completely, as I'm absolutely obsessed with the game. I do think I'd like to contact Shin and tell him he needs more save points in-game. -.-"

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 10-01-2009, 03:14 PM

I don't really have any specific games to point out, but there are several reasons I stop playing video games

1) HORRIBLE cameras. There was one game that I got once upon a time for the PS2 (can't remember the name now because it was like 2 years ago now) that had gittering camera's and it hurt my eyes to watch the screen.

2) in modern games, since you can't really be as critical of the old ones, if the animation and graphics quality isn't good I don't play it (more so on the animation side than the graphics). There really isn't any excuse these days to have horrible animation in video games and usually those that do had low budgets and have crappy stories and game play anyway

3) A faltering storyline. If a game can't keep its story going and jumps around going random crap all the time i tend to lose interest. I think a game should be made to keep you involved and interested, if your leaving your storyline all the time for unneeded junk it tends to bother me (this obviously doesn't apply to games such as Spyro where you just venture from one world to another collecting things. I'm talking more along the lines of RPG's such as Final Fantasy)

4) a main character that just pisses me off to no end. Unless the point of the game is to completely dislike your main character I'm not interested. Why would I want to play a character I utterly hate, defeats the purpose of the game.

5) extremely difficult game play. I'm stubborn and will sit there trying to do thing and when I fail after many many attempts I look up a walk through. If after that point I still can't get it (after a few more tries) I tend to get very frustrated and put the game away. I don't play games to piss me off. I can take some frustration, but I fail to be able to do something after sitting there forever trying I'm done (at least until later if I want to return to it)

eCrink
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to eCrink Send a message via MSN to eCrink

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 AM

Terrible character(s).
They're more or less the sole reason I can't complete certain games.
Star Fox Adventures? Star Fox Assault? Krystal ruined that series for me.

Sylvia in No More Heroes sometimes makes me want to shut off the game. I don't care how remotely attractive she is. Every time she says "GARDEN OF MADNESS", I think "Please. Sylvia. Hang up the phone."

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust
Send a message via AIM to Gary Stargazer Send a message via MSN to Gary Stargazer Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Stargazer

Old 10-02-2009, 01:36 AM

Monster Hunter on the PSP. I know lots and lots of people loved this game but i tried to play it ... i really really tried but the camera controls just pissed me off. I would fight a boss monster and it would purposely do nothing but jump behind me out of my camera view so i had to use the wonky controls to get turned around and face it again.

I felt like I was fighting the controls more than I was fighting the damn enemies and that does not make for good game play in my opinion. I tried for several hours to play it and enjoy it, trying a variety of weapons and such but it always ended up with the same result. me vs the controls. So i gave it up and took it back ... too bad it looked like an awesome game and i prolly would of loved it if i could of gotten past that.

Darkestofsouls
El Sleezo's Discount Constructio...
Send a message via MSN to Darkestofsouls

Old 10-08-2009, 01:17 PM

4 minutes of the poor handling, uninteresting story, and false "like oblivion" promises of "Two Worlds", and I was back at Blockbuster pretending I had grabbed the wrong game by mistake and got Red Dead Revolver instead. (If he didn't believe me, at least he didn't call me on it)

Ishikawa Goemon XIII
Resident Goemon Guru

Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 AM

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja - that dungeon in Ryukyu has driven me crazy. It's an incredible test to get to the Daruma 'block-tower' boss, and in the end, that's only a mid-way point. The level just keeps going on and on, and Lord, I do not have the patience to attempt this yet again until a good half year has passed. I cringe to think of the boss at the end of the stage... *headdesk* I used to think that if I kept at it, I could overcome anything that game threw at me (particularly, Iga Ninja castle... I didn't know I could have purchased a skill from the dojo that would have allowed Goemon to FLY through half the stage, so I had to do it the long-winded, sweaty-palmed way) buuuut... no. I've reached my limit, I think. It's a cute, funky little game with humourous references to bakemono and Edo-Japan culture, but damn if it doesn't have its incredibly challenging moments. I blame Konami. :D

Last edited by Ishikawa Goemon XIII; 10-17-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Sorry, typo.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 PM

When you get really far in a game and realize you have either forgotten to save the data or the data got erased somehow. At that point your morale goes down to about zero and every possible known curse word that is known to mankind comes to your mind and you scream it out loud and feeling taking a ball bat to your console game and system.

Iishii
Witch of the Winds, Water and Li...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM

I mostly get rages with fighting games. A few RPGs have done this to me too, but man...

One that made me really mad was fighting Night Terror in Soul Calibur 3. On Normal, because I strangely did not unlock the Easy mode. XD UGH He was a pain. You cannot ring him out and all the damage he does is just crazy. x___x;; I was even struggling with my best character (Setsuka) and so I decided to give Siegfried a try (Soul Calibur weapon's healing FTW). I managed to beat him about an hour later. ..... I didn't know if I should be happy or just annoyed. XD;;

Tacit
Angharad

Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 AM

Golden Sun for the Gameboy Advance. I missed a treasure chest in some old guy's house and had NO WAY of getting out of that level without the spring water and NO BOTTLE to put it in and there was NO SAVE POINT close to the old guy's house so if I wanted to keep the storyline going I had to replay 45minutes of Boooorrrrrinnng unskipable storyline.

Oblivion had really weird rules. After playing so much final fantasy and other such RPG's where the stuff you find in barrels are totally YOURS I couldn't figure out why the guards would take the stuff I found away when I asked them for directions. I hated the controls too, the aiming sucked, and I couldn't figure out how to move quickly enough without totally losing sight of my enemy.

The thing that'll make me throw the controller faster than anything is stupid camera angles and/or camera hangups. Like in Red Ninja for the X-Box. Argh! That game had some of the most aggravating camera hangups I've ever encountered.

Masharu
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

First person shooters.... the reasons i don't like them.... When someone throws a grenade and it magically lands where you walk, when people don't appear on your radar until after you die, when you and another person are shooting but you die even though you filled him/her full of bullets..... and my all time favorite .... when you're shooting one person and their team mate comes behind you and ninja's you

mocu
Naive Cynic

Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 AM

I noticed someone else mentioned Twilight Princess-- I gave up on that game too. I was doing great, loving it, until I got to the sky city. I went down one of the halls you're supposed to, got to the end and thought I was stuck. So I went back, and the dragon smashed the bridge on me. I checked a walkthrough later, to find out that I can no longer get to the miniboss, and as such, can't get to the double clawshot. -.-;
That pissed me off. If I wanted to pass that part, I'd have to restart the entire game.

And Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn irritates me. Not only are some of the levels insanely difficult, but it drags on and on and on. Not to mention, going back and forth between the two parties made my interest die. I get attached to one side, and don't want to kill them, you know?

NightshadeNox
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to NightshadeNox Send a message via MSN to NightshadeNox Send a message via Yahoo to NightshadeNox

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM

The only games i currently remember that I have quitted was Clive Barker's Jericho, cramped surrounding, stupid ai for the rest of the teams, constant reviving of team members and also too many enemies for beginning of the story. Also, it was too dark lighting and i couldn 't believe that the only good decent AI that was a team member was you, the player.
the other game was Lunar 2, the constant grinding and money spending for constant potions and healing to fight that stupid plant monster when you meet the dancer was outrageous. I had to have my boyfriend beat it but when he beat the monster, the poison on my character hit her with the low HP she had...poison shouldn't count as a game over after you defeated the monster!!!!!