Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 AM

The dirt had a fascinating color. A little reddish. Steel wondered if that was natural to the dirt of a symptom of where it was. He dragged a finger through it and watched it stain his finger. He should probably sleep, but he didn't feel like it now. He'd done so much sleeping in order to dream. He felt it was day now though. Was that even right? He'd never know, but he used the dirt to organize his life. He drew a time line and filled in information he knew and where he knew he had holes. Seeing it visually surprised him.

Almost every hole pertained to his childhood and Lee specifically. Only a few isolated events he thought contained holes after he joined the army, but there were little things. He touched the scar on the back of his leg just above his knee. That definitely was not a childhood injury and the cut looked surgical, leaving only a thin white line behind. How did this all connect?

At some point, he saw Lee walk by, but he didn't look up. He was more concerned with the Lee from his past. Just when he thought his timeline was done, he realized there was something he'd skipped over because it was a hole he had an explanation for. It was also the most recent missing memory. Less than a year ago, he woke up with a day missing and he'd known it immediately. Jeremy, his brother said he got filthy drunk at the party they'd thrown for him. Only now, he had no idea what the party was for.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 AM

He took a different route to the surface, the way he had when he spoke to the general about the approaching Americans. Stepping out, he found himself in a pale air somewhere between quiet and active. People were wandering, but no vehicles were on the move, and he was moving forward when someone waved at him. It was a general guardsman, someone whose sole responsibility was to scan the horizon for a varying amount of time. "What is it, Meng? " Lee approached, nodding to him. The young man stood up straight when he was spoken to.

"You're headed to the east tower, are you, Lee?" Meng asked, using his first name as it was hard for most to pronounce his last. When Lee nodded, Meng continued: "You'll be the only one up there tonight, we have a bit of a bug running through the ranks and the infirmary's pretty well busy."

"Hard to catch a positive break around this damned place, isn't it?" Lee rolled his eyes. "I'll handle the watch alone, don't worry about it." Rearranging the weapon slung over his arm, Lee moved away from the man and toward the east tower. He would be alone, able to think about his next steps. He wouldn't be able to keep up their private conversations for long. Dustin would be truthfully hurt at least once because of his guards' stupidity, which they thought they could get away with.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 AM

At some point, Steel fell asleep. He took care not to smudge his scribbles in the dirt. It wouldn't be bad to keep them around and fill in more when he could. Plus, he needed to keep this thoughts straight so he could talk to Lee later. He wondered if they could keep this act up for long. His thoughts must have been still troubled when he slept because he dream had him running in circles just like he was in his mind.

He dreamt about booted feet with straight army-style laces. He was running. Where? Everything around him was dark and he kept flashing back to the boots. They were chasing him, but for the life of him, he couldn't figure out why. Suddenly he was sitting in a metal chair with far too straight of a back. The wood table in front of him held an assortment of papers, each arranged perfectly parallel to the next. A voice in the darkness beyond the table spoke. "This is your next mission...."

Steel woke with a shiver, not sure how long he'd been asleep. He couldn't place the voice from his dream, but it had him breaking out in a cold sweat. His body felt achy and crappy over all. His head hurt, not that he was surprised by this. He closed his eyes again and tried to sleep more. He doubted the rest of the dream would come, but he chased it anyway.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 AM

He surveyed the bare, cool desert-like area with a steady gaze. The tree line tended to move from time to time in a very suspicious manner, until a small fox or a deer came into view, and Lee sighed. He wasn't much for direct murder, which was an odd thing for someone that regularly watched people suffer to think, but pulling a trigger just soured his stomach as much as overthinking his current position in the military as a man that kept prisoners of war in dank, underground cells with no hope of seeing the sun and threatening them with immense pain and suffering. Few held the cruelty to even withhold food from someone for more than several days, let alone watch as their skin was often flayed from their living bodies.

He stepped away from the tripod the rifle stood on, looking around the tower. It was rather bare---there were a few control panels that showed radar of certain areas outside the base's walls along the northeast, east, and southeast areas, and a set of three floodlights that kept the base securely in check. A few chairs sat around, and with another quick sweep of the area, Lee went to sit down and roll about the area. Again he thought about leaving, but then he'd be a deserter. He might as well disfigure himself, change his name and move to Australia if he did that. And he couldn't leave Dustin. Taking him along was out of the question---it would take far too long, and suspicions would be raised dramatically no matter what excuses he came up with.

With a light sigh, Lee pulled up the bandage on his arm and looked at the tattoo again. He'd never shown anyone---only the base's medics, who did the checkups, knew about it, and didn't ask about it. He assumed they thought it was a drunken mistake, which he tended to write it off as being. He glanced at the clock on the wall---it was about to be quite a long evening.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-12-2014, 03:37 AM

Steel slept, but he did not dream again. He should have known better. It was almost impossible to dream when he'd exhausted his wealth of tiredness and couldn't slip into deep enough of a sleep. Every time he reached the wall of darkness that was his dream, he woke again. How funny that the dream portrayed itself as a wall of darkness now. He used to welcome his dreams and he'd spiral toward the lake of golden light until he landed on its shore. He dreaded he'd never see the lake again, now that he knew it hid darkness underneath. As if the memory had been placed in front to act as a smoke screen? He didn't know what to think anymore.

His leg itched where the scar lay and he shifted to scratch it. What time was it now? He was cold both from the heavy feeling dreaming had given him and the air. "This really fuckin' sucks..." he muttered, glaring out the cell bars. He would feel better if he could at least hit someone, but he didn't see that fantasy playing out.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM

He hated himself more now than ever. Lee had made it through half the night with a weapon trained on apparently deserted land and come the pale gray light of predawn, he'd had to snipe two Americans before he managed to get to a radio and inform ground watch that there seemed to be a grouping in the thick scrub brush nearby. From the rifle scope he watched them approach from a small, natural trench and ambush the dozen or so, killing six and taking the rest alive. When Lee set his weapon down he was shaking. He'd killed two. Two. Two with a rifle, a bullet to the head of each. He'd done that. Among many, many other awful things.

When someone came to relieve him Lee didn't say a word---he stood and nodded, bowed, and left the tower with his weapon, managing to keep his composure until he was locked away in his office with his gun out of sight but not out of mind. Then he slammed his hands down on his metal desktop. "Fuck... me... I can't be saved can I...?" He'd killed two more. At least they had died quickly, but he had shot them dead. Then six more died, and the rest were coming to his prison. His. He would have to stare in their faces and know that he'd done what he did. He shoved his way out the door and walked down the hall to where Dustin's cell was.

"I killed two." He leaned against the bars. "I killed two Americans that were advancing on the base and six more died when I called it in. The rest are coming here. And it's my fault." He closed his eyes, positioning his face between two bars. "Hit me. Punch me, do something, damn it." Why? He wouldn't do anything if Dustin actually did it. He just wanted to feel something. Acute pain would at least take away from the numbing ache of self blame, which was all on his head initially.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 AM

Despite the fact that Steel had been glaring through the cell bars for some time, he jumped when Lee suddenly appeared in front of him. He actually inched back, falling backwards so that he supported himself by the elbows. Steel was angry and scared and the chills along his spine put him on edge, but this was a bit much. "What the fuck?" The second Lee asked to be hit, he hesitated. If the man hadn't demanded it in such a voice, Steel might have hit him. It was what he wanted right? His anger evaporated in an instant though.

He scooted forward so that he knelt right in front of the bars. Lifting his hand, he didn't curl it light a fist, but instead brought his fingers close to Lee's face, all the while staring into his eyes. A strange feeling came over him like a flood of emotion that nearly choked Steel up. This man was special to him right? Steel's hand hesitated an inch away. Then in a sudden burst of motion, he gave Lee a light slap on the cheek. "Wake the hell up, dude. No one's blaming you so stop blaming yourself," he chastised. "I'm not going to hit you. You're the only friend I've got."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 AM

Lee wrinkled his nose, pulling away and putting a hand to his face. "Anyone else would have hit me. Even if they were close friends." He muttered. "But damn it, Dustin, I blame me. I did it. I did it because I was asked---told---to do it, I kill and torment and I don't even fucking feel, I don't feel a damn thing. I'm not supposed to feel anything. I rip the skin off people's bodies, I castrate them, I cut their fingers off and pull their teeth out and I'm not supposed to blink because that makes me weak. And I'm doing this... I'm doing it legally. To people I side with. I'm hurting the chances of the States to keep their freedom, I'm causing agony and I'm not even a criminal. And I killed those people above ground. Your peers will be here soon, in cells nearby, and they'll be here because I caused it. I called in their position and I watched them be brought in. Me. If no one else will blame me I'll do it myself."

He was obsessively scratching the wrap on his wrist that hid the tattoo. When he grew agitated it would itch incessantly, and he'd often leave the skin around the actual thing. "And I have to do all this to you too. And you don't even know why I hate it so much more..." He felt free to show some of his emotion around Dustin, at least. The waver in his voice would never be present in front of another prisoner, another guard, any of his supervisors or superiors.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Should Lee be saying these sorts of things in a hall to a random prisoner? Or at least, random to anyone who didn't know them. Steel couldn't look away though. Feeling floored would be putting it lightly. He rocked back on his heels and sucked in an extra breath he nearly choked on. He wasn't used to someone showing him this kind of emotion and he knew that his own face was more open than usual. "War sucks." At first that was all he could say. What was there to say to what Lee was going through? That he understood? That he felt for the guy? Steel wasn't sure what he felt. He doubted his words would offer any kind of solace.

He reached through the bars and brushed his fingers against Lee's wrapped wrist. He wanted to see the tattoo again. Turning his hand, he revealed his own sun tattoo. After looking at it for a second, Steel looked back up at Lee. "You care too much. It's easier if you forget how. But then..." Steel nearly doubled over as his own emotions threatened to break through. No, he couldn't let the wall come crumbling down so soon. He built that wall around himself painstakingly brick by brick and he prided himself in it. "But then someone in this damn war has to feel something. Even if we can't do a damn thing to change it, maybe we can change someone who can."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:46 AM

Lee stopped scratching through the bandage and turned his arm over, lifting the wrapping and looking, but barely seeing. His skin was an angry red from the abuse he'd just been putting it through, and past scars from where he'd scratched the skin into bloody rags lined either side of the small dragon's snake-like body. He sighed, biting his tongue when he felt his eyes sting, waiting for that to pass. It was weird, to feel it again. To feel that urge to actually show emotion. "I... didn't care." He growled. "Not before you came. I'd been beaten into not giving a damn, cultured, prepared for my role here as... a devil. Mr. Misery, that's what they call me, and for damn good reason. When they see me coming they know that if they make it out of here alive, they'll never forget because the scars won't let them. And I didn't give a single damn. I'd watch them cry and scream and agonize and sometimes I'd almost laugh. Because I knew they'd crack. I'd forgotten. Everything." He looked up. "Every. Thing."

He'd never laughed. He'd never cried. When he came here, to this prison, he'd made sure that everything was carefully engineered to cause maximum discomfort. From the torture itself, to the sleeping arrangements, to the constant guard presence, the underground area that didn't let a single ray of natural light in. The dim lighting itself, to tire the eyes and the body and keep it in a constant state of fatigue. The poor food, dried or overly salted or preserved, and the meager water. It was all coordinated by Lee. "Then you came. And it all crashed down. There was no way in hell I could hurt you, knowing how we parted... and knowing you didn't even remember me. Or what we'd gone through. Or what..." He laughed humorlessly. "Never mind..." He sighed, pressing his head against the bars and looking to his left and right. At least this was a quiet area of the prison. Near his office, it was always quiet because he could watch the corridor himself if need be.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM

It was Steel's fault that Lee felt this way--felt at all? The knowledge of that dropped like a weight onto his shoulders. He bit his lip as his hand dropped back into his lap where he caught himself twisting them together. "Why me? How can I have so completely destroyed your defenses?" he asked quietly. He was just a somebody that no one really liked even when he was young as far as he remembered. Even if Lee was his closest friend, why did he have to hurt so much over Steel?

A humorless laugh bubbled up. Who was Steel kidding? When he came to this prison and even before, he had been ready to die for a country he didn't give a shit about. It had nothing to do with wanting to fight and all with not caring about himself and others. Now? He caught himself longing to see Lee. He told himself it was for important reasons, but really he just wanted to see the other man. Lee was digging at his wall with a pickaxe and it wouldn't be long before he was in the same position of feeling too much. He finally turned his head to stare dejectedly at the ground. "Why are we so important to each other?" He had to know even if knowing might kill him and knock down his defensive wall entirely.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Lee shook his head. He did want to tell Dustin---Steel, what a good name for a spy that wasn't supposed to feel---but suddenly felt cold with worry. If he didn't even remember his past, did he even remember who he was as a person? Telling him what he was and knowing it might not be the same now tore at Lee's newly exposed defenses and felt very odd, very painful. Very... awful. He shook his head again, covering the tattoo and pulling his sleeve down, clenching his other hand so he wouldn't have the urge to scratch again.

"I... don't think I can tell you. I don't know if I should. It's... It'd hurt way too much than I'm prepared to handle if you... if they took everything. They took you. Whoever made you a spy, made you what you are now. They took all of you and inserted some... damned cyborg and it's almost as if when you're sleeping, that cyborg is pushed away and you have a few minutes to try to find something... something that might be you, but all your memories are so scrambled that it's just... so hard to put them together. And I'm worried that you'll never believe me." He laughed harshly. "And hell, I don't know what I'd do if you didn't believe me." He thought back, remembering a piece of what he'd said, or what Dustin had said. He'd lost most of that particular memory. They'd promised to come back for the jar they'd buried, but the date had slipped his mind. When?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM

Steel shook his head in confusion. The mood had gotten different...weird, not that it hadn't been weird from the start. The things Lee was saying though, Steel didn't know how to respond. At first he just stuttered as he stared at Lee from beneath furrowed brows. Basically being told there there was something big between them, but not being told what, seriously pissed him off. And perhaps, hurt him a little bit as well. Steel was desperate to know who he was. At times, he was sure he did know even if he didn't have the memories to back them up. Emotions were easier to catch hold of than pictures of a distant time.

He clenched his fist in the ground, watching the way his short nails scratched harsh white lines in the dirt. "Are you just going to say something like that and walk away?" Steel's voice stayed quiet, but there was no doubt he was angry. He kept his eyes on the ground now to hide the fact that being called a cyborg cut him to the core. "I know I'm fucked up and I can't remember a lot of things, but I'm still me aren't I?" Wasn't he? Because if he wasn't, then he didn't know what to do anymore. "I have a right to know whatever you know about me. How can I believe you if you don't even give me a chance to know?!"

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 AM

"Yeah you have a fuckin' right." Lee's words spilled out of him before he could stop them. "You've got a right to know who you are but what if you aren't ready to remember? What if you're... What if you go into denial because you don't want to believe something or you can't handle what a huge change it is, knowing what you used to be as opposed to what you are now?" He gripped the bars tightly, as if he were the one in the cell. "But I can't tell you anything now. Not here. Nothing specific. I'll take you to one of the chambers and we'll be able to talk more freely again. But I'll have to come up with something to do to make it look like I've done... something." He could imagine that using diluted ink would form bruise-like markings on the skin. He had plenty of ballpoint pens for that. And if he decided that Dustin needed to be 'isolated', then he would be able to get in to talk to him at any time with no one any the wiser, with no need for physical injury or simulation. Isolation often drove prisoners insane, but he doubted it would be a problem for Dustin. Hoped so, anyway.

"I can't... tell you anything right now. Tomorrow. Tomorrow." He nodded, stepping back, standing up straight and backing away, stalking down the hallway, barricading himself in his office again.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 02:54 AM

"You better tell me tomorrow, bastard!" Steel yelled after Lee. He didn't have a chance to say anything else in response even if he could come up with one. His mind felt jumbled and numb. How could he not be ready to remember? Just the idea was laughable. Still, he found himself dropping into a dark mood. Was it possible he was better not knowing before the memories came to him naturally-- if they even would come back. He believed most in that possibility. He thought about it and his choice hadn't changed. He needed to know no matter what he needed to go through to get it. This was Steel's choice and even if Lee had to torture him or whatever, it would be only Steel's fault for wanting this so bad.

He kicked the bars to let loose the last of his energy before curling up with a wince. Now his foot hurt to top off everything else. Steel muttered under his breath and crossed his arms. He would stare at these bars and do nothing until tomorrow. Waiting was one of his better talents and he had little else to do now.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 AM

The clock on the wall read almost midnight but Lee didn't move. He was still angry at himself for revealing so much. Maybe Dustin's mind had been wiped for a reason. Maybe it was to tell him to get on with his damn life. He laughed angrily at himself and balled up the paper in front of him, throwing it into the corner. He'd gotten on with his life, after all, and then Dustin had allowed himself to be caught. It was frustrating. And now he had to reveal everything he knew about their life, about before Lee had been ripped away and taken back to China. He missed it. He had missed it every day until he had been forced to handle so much that he couldn't afford the time or energy to miss it. Or remember it.

But what would Dustin accept? Would he see that little kid, that young adolescent, that teenager as himself? Would he accept that once he could laugh and be careless and love someone? Lee sighed, putting his head down and covering his face, using his free hand to work the tie out of his hair and let it lie free. Keeping it back all the time gave him an awful headache, but not much more than considering everything Dustin would probably deny. It would hurt way too much, but damn it, Lee had promised to tell him. Now he hated that promise. He fell asleep before he could continue berating himself, leaned over the desk. He barely heard as the guards changed shifts.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 AM

Steel must have spent most of the night alternating between staring at the cell bars and pacing in the hardly pace-able space he had. He was just making himself dizzy and finally he just sat down and suffered the time. He couldn't sleep, he couldn't stay still, but he couldn't do anything either. He was starting to hate isolation. With that thought came the image of Lee--the one who banished his isolation from time to time.

When Steel first saw Lee's tattoos, he remembered something. A something that wasn't so much a memory as an emotion, but he was sure now that they were his. Such strong emotions he hardly believed in, but they were in him somewhere he liked to ignore. Lee was important. He couldn't deny it to himself, even if he couldn't say that to someone else. Why was it Lee specifically that he seemed to forget everything about. Unless the person that screwed up his memories had an agenda, it didn't make sense. And even if they did have an agenda, it still made no sense. Did this make him a more efficient soldier? Steel didn't understand, because any happy childhood memory would do for that. Why did it have to be Lee?

Because Lee was important.

Steel finally did fall asleep with that thought running over in his mind.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 AM

He didn't sleep well at all. He heard almost everything that happened outside the door of his office and every word the guards spoke when they thought he was either not there or asleep. They were stupid enough to talk about their own torments of the prisoners when they didn't think Lee was around to reprimand them, how they would slap them around or threaten them with their weapons, or even withhold what little food they were allowed and eat it in front of them. It used to bother Lee because he was being undermined, his orders and words weren't being followed very, very specifically. Now it angered him because they were already tormented enough. When he'd had enough of the blatant disregard of his direct orders Lee stood and pocketed several pens, then barged out of his office.

The two that were just a few paces down the hall turned and paled. Kai-liang and Zhou were on their morning shift and they had apparently not expected Lee to be in his office so early. "Zhou, did I hear correctly?" Lee's cold, stony exterior came back at once, his eyes dark and flinty and his voice held that usual low, dangerous tone. "You and Kai-liang are abusing prisoners against my very, very specific orders?"

"N-no---" Kai-liang was first to try to protest, then Zhou put a hand up. "Yes, sir." He said, visibly trying to chase the tremor from his voice.

"And you realize I have a no tolerance policy." Lee crossed his arms.

"We do..." Kai-liang's voice was low. "We apologize---"

"As I have told you, apologies are not of my concern. If you need to apologize you need to learn." Lee pointed behind them. "I want you both out. Take this to your general and have him call a meeting for us. I had better get an email from him by the end of the day, are we clear?" When they nodded, he sighed. "Now. Get out." He had a prisoner to 'interrogate' after all. The two men nodded quickly and retreated quickly, scuttling away like misbehaving dogs.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 PM

Steel wasn't sure how long he slept before he woke again. He didn't think it was long considering the closest he got to dreaming was feeling a warmth settle around him--a strangely comforting warmth next to his new usual sort of dreams. He heard people nearby, probably guards. He didn't really care though as long as they weren't bothering him. He heard the way the guards talked and the way they looked at prisoners, but Steel was lucky or something like that to stay out of trouble. He didn't really feel lucky even on the best of days.

He watched the world outside without any concern, bored and cold. He wondered what the source of warmth in his sleep came from. If he was going to remember something, he'd prefer for it to make sense. "Damn that Lee. He better have some good explanations," Steel muttered.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM

Lee turned the corner to the row of cells Dustin was kept in, tying back his hair into its usual tight ponytail before he made it to Dustin's cell. There was a guard at the end of the hall and he gave the stern-looking woman a sharp nod, and she returned it before Lee turned to face Dustin. "You will follow me now, without a fight. If you resist you will be forcibly restrained and punished accordingly. Do we understand each other?" He made a point to indicate with his eyes the source of his cold, detached manner of speaking. If the guard at the end of the hall knew Lee were softening up in any way to a prisoner---especially a newcomer---she would grow suspicious. Even a slight altercation in his behavior toward prisoners would be noted. Anyone's sudden aversion to their usual way of behaving would be looked into, and Lee didn't need any scrutiny. Not now. He was starting to think, and those thoughts were radical at best. He needed no one---not even Dustin for now---to see them.

He unlocked the cell, bringing Dustin out and grasping him by the bicep as he led the man to one of the interrogation rooms. This one would have an uncomfortable wooden chair, which would settle well with Lee---at least he wouldn't have to cut Dustin again this way.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-18-2014, 04:08 AM

Being spoken to sternly shouldn't have surprised Steel. He shouldn't have cared, but after emotions ran so high the night before, it was strange. He noticed the guard after a second though and easily put on a meek face. He let himself be pulled out of the cell without question, though his heart beat a little faster as they got to the interrogation room. Finally he could get some answers. He glanced around the room, then sat in the chair because...why not?

"So...you have something you want to tell me?" he asked after a second. His mouth felt dry thinking about it, but he was still just as determined to know everything he could. "I assume that's why I'm here..."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Once Lee bolted the door tightly so no one could open it. When Dustin sat in the chair without even being told, Lee almost smiled, but felt too drained to summon the energy for it. He stepped forward, cinching Dustin's wrists lightly. "Struggle a little against that. Make it look like you were resisting injury or trying to get out." He said simply. Then he breathed out and pulled a metal folding chair from the corner, settling it a couple feet in front of Dustin.

"Yeah... I have a hell of a lot to tell you." He said with a sigh. "But I don't know where to start. I don't know if I should begin from the very first day we met, or... when we made changes to our lives and each other that we didn't think would ever be forgotten. Time's of the essence but I have ways to extend it. I just need to figure out a way to get... get you out. Us out. But before then you need to remember and I'll be damned if I turn into the bad guy at any time. I'll tell you everything I remember and... I remember everything. It's a curse sometimes." He leaned forward, clasping his hands in front of him. "Where do you want me to start?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Steel did as he was told without putting any thought into it. He had no room to think of anything besides what Lee said. Did Steel just hear what he thought? "A way to get us out...?" he asked hollowly, unable to believe the words. He thought the idea was damned very important, but he couldn't think of anything to say in response. He supposed he should be happy, but he didn't know what to do with the thought of getting out of this whole war and prison mess. It's not like he knew anything else.

"Never mind, just...tell me the important stuff. I don't care where you start!" he said because at least he knew what he wanted there. He wanted to know everything from the very beginning, every detail. He wanted to remember it all himself and maybe he would if Lee gave his memory a little help. Maybe not. Starting with life changing details sounded smart though, because Steel wasn't sure they had time to be giving out his whole life story now. "I hardly see how you can turn into a bad guy at this point. What can you possibly say that will make me hate you, compared to everyone else around here anyway."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 AM

Lee was quiet for a minute. He was rubbing his hands together, thinking about the best way to approach. He didn't know if he should begin at the start itself, or pick out a random memory from his flawlessly preserved bank. So far his mind had been taken up by other things, most among them being blooming ideas of escape. He could most definitely find a way out, and find a way for Dustin to come with him. If he wanted to after he began remembering. If he began remembering.

Finally, he sighed, and looked up at Dustin. "Okay." He said at last. "Our first meeting was when you were five and I was eight years old, at the bus stop we would share... most of our school days. We were friends pretty fast, because we were always just down the hall in school and walked together when we could, spent time at recess, commandeered an entire table at lunch, and it almost became a trend. When middle school began we were separated for half the time. But it was almost like... we didn't have anyone else. I guess we both had a pretty hard home life. I found freedom in school, and being with you. And we'd find reasons to avoid going home, or we'd sneak out at night. I don't remember any friend besides you. Because I didn't have any friends besides you. I told you everything that I couldn't tell anyone else. No adults. No one. Because you were my age. You understood. A kid talking to a kid, because... well, what else could I do? And I'd listen to your problems... We didn't want either of us to fix the others' problem, because just having someone to listen took the edge off, made it better. I remember... I told you about my aunt's death. Do you remember that?"

That had been an emotional conversation. Lee's aunt had been one of the few in his family that really, truly adored him. His father's sister, she had died of brain cancer and he had't even known she had it. He'd cried for four days straight and no one else could get through to him. It had been his first low point and Dustin had been there.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Steel listened intently, barely daring to breathe unless he missed a word that Lee said. He found himself closing his eyes to let the feelings was over him and to encourage the memories to come. He felt...something. He was sure the memories were close and that they wanted to be remembered now, but a door still kept them out of sight. Some things leaked through though, mostly emotions. Most of it was warmth, like from his dream, but he felt something different when Lee mentioned the death of his aunt. He had a brief flash of being next to Lee, holding his hand and nearly in tears himself over the whole ordeal. Sad and kind emotions flooded him so strongly he turned his head away and struggled to contain them. It was just a memory.

"Yeah, I think I remember. I...I held your hand and told you I could be your family instead," Steel said quietly. "We were very close. Please, tell me more. I keep feeling things and I really want to feel more!" He was practically desperate to feel more of his emotions and memories come back. He turned his head back to look at Lee. If his hands were free, he would have lifted a hand to hold it over his beating heart. It amazed him how clearly he could feel that heart beat.