Evilcreamswirl

Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 AM

Ok I love to write stories. No matter which one it is, Fictional, Nonfictional, Romance, suspense, Horror ect.

The problem I have about my stories is two things

1. I can never complete them. I mean I get to at least a good amount of chapters but never end it. Mainly because I get a new Idea that has nothing to do with the story that is in process. So than I begin on that idea but than never finish the other in progress stories because I lost my feel for it.

2. I have problem with not making a Mary-sue character, and if theres one thing I hate in stories is Mary-sue. I don't just mean like the character gets all the love, not only that but one has to be super-powerful with no weakness and I hate that.

So if anybody doesn't mind. Can someone help me with my problems?

Cheya
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM

-Visualize how you want it to end and go for it--make a timeline and plot outline if you must. When you finish, go back and rewrite as needed or as desired.

-Look at your character and list all her powers and whatnots... figure out which ones you can take out. But I also want you to make sure you're giving the same amount of criticism to your male characters. One thing I find is that people are way more critical of female characters--sort of an internalized misogyny.

PrinceLeopard
The lion king ain't got nothin' ...

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I have the same problem with not completing stories but as for the Mary-Sue thing, maybe I can help because my characters are always riddled with flaws XD

The thing is that making a character have flaws and such makes them real and people can relate to them. A character can't win everytime.

Hmm, I'm not as good at this as I thought so try these places out instead XD

How to Avoid Making a Mary Sue - wikiHow

How to Avoid Writing a Mary Sue Fiction Character - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

thedarkraven
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Ugh, The not finishing problem again!! I am the world's worst. I find, writing alot and keep ot flowing and changing it an twisting it gets my mind working, And it makes me want to write just to find out what my finger-tips can produce. I am not fond of stories with out endings, Who is? And I just dropped a really good story, Avatar: A healing world. I was so into, My mind raced right through the whole thing, And I couldn't get it down, And once I knew what happened, I didn't feel finishing it.... I let some people down, Because I got a butt load of PMs telling me not to drop it, But I tried to keep going, And my mind wouldn't let me go through with it. Anyway!! I don't know the answer to the not finishing issue. I wish I knew...

IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-10-2010, 03:53 AM

I have a hard time not finishing, too.
I have a friend that suggested you start with the ending, almost J.K. Rowling style, then edit the ending a little if the story doesn't quite end up at that destination.
she also suggested that you draw some kind of map to where you want it to end. I know I have a huge problem with my plot going all over the place, and I'm obsessed with back stories, so this helps me stay on track.

I'm deathly afraid my fan characters are Mary-sues, so I always come up with a weakness that would contract her strengths. Nothing like 'she's afraid of spiders' but a genuine, debilitating issue.
The main problem with a lot of oc's is that 'this person is so tough, but I'm so cute and I'm going to let so and so fight my battle for me'.
For starters, it's almost impossible to be tough and cute at the same time, especially for girls. It's the most unrealistic thing I've encountered with sues.
I've seen some awesome sues who were pretty, cute, and smart, but they were literally cold hearted Nazi's.
The hardest part is finding a balance; someone to whom the reader can relate to as well as not making them too powerful/weak, too pretty/ugly, or too evil/good.
The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that are too good.

Anywho, there's my two cents, hope it helps a little![COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Last edited by IadulDraculai; 07-10-2010 at 04:13 AM..

funnybunny
The Twouble Maker owo

Old 07-16-2010, 06:06 PM

I have the same problem too. I mean about not being able to finish my stories. Now I just write all my ideas down but continue the story, keeping them fairly short. When I finish a story, I see the ideas I've written down and pick one. That's how I like to do it.

About the Mary-sues. I also hate all-powerful characters. It's always annoying to me how sues are always the evil person. Well, it makes sense but can't the good people be all-mighty for once? But it's weird how the Mary sue always gets defeated at the end. That means they have to have a weakness, just the readers don't know that. I would appreciate it if the author put the weakness in the story once in a while.

I hope I could have been of help!