amethyst_midnight
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to amethyst_midnight Send a message via Yahoo to amethyst_midnight

Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 AM

Chapter 1: Darkened Alley
The complication beyond what I know. I did not understand this world and I did not plan on it. What I did know was that this land I stand on was growing colder by the second, I was dying inside and no one even knew, and that my life was running on just the remains of sand. It felt as if time stood still for the moment.
The wind was deathly cold as it blew across the air. My face was too numb to feel it. Something crunched in the background in the alley way behind me. It sounded like a piece of glass breaking. I turned around and quietly walked into the darkness. As I inched to the dead end I felt a presence around me. I spun around into a defending position ready to attack, letting a hiss escape from under my lips.
Down came a figure from somewhere above me, landing silently onto the ground in front of me.
“Drop your defense Veriscen,” said the high pitched melodic voice.
I recognized it instantly.
“What have I told you about following me, Ravan?”I scolded, standing back up, at the short girl,“You’re going to get hurt one day.”Ravan’s black hair, with silver that fell around her face, hit her shoulders.
“Ha, me? Look at yourself, standing around in the dark. What are you waiting for? Death?”
“Would it matter?”
Suddenly her voice became solemn.
“Don’t play around Veriscen, seriously”
I quickly jumped onto a box about 5 feet high.
“You’re the one following me. Go home.”
I untied my black hair, letting it fall against my back. She made a small move closer to me and I tilted my head. “Fine,” I sighed, “if you’re really worried then catch me if you can” I leaped off onto the ground, running to the other end of the alley in a second. I stopped, looked back and a smirk skimmed across my face. Ravan laughed and took off after me as soon as I ran.
I could feel the ice cold wind against my face once again. My black hair, streaked with blood red, glimmered in the moonlight. Nothing was a blur to me as I ran miles in just a few seconds. I could see every crystal dropping off the melting snow on the houses, I could hear every murmur near by, and I could feel every particle under my feet as they hit the ground. We hit the woods and I leaped up onto a branch, continuing to travel as I jumped branch to branch.
“All right spider monkey,” Ravan giggled behind me, “Where the hell are we going?”
I ignored her question. She would find out sooner or later.
After ten minutes I stopped along the edge of a cliff. Ravan, not paying attention, continued to run. I grabbed her collar and pulled her before she ran off the cliff.
“Will you pay attention…please” I sighed. She stuttered to find something to say but something caught her eye. All around us was as beautiful as heaven. A small waterfall fell along the curve of the cliff. The water, about fifty feet down, sparkled brighter than a diamond, clearer than anything. It was not completely quiet, but peaceful; the steady strum of the waterfall, birds chirping. Nothing was more amazing. Most of all, the stars were magnificent tonight.
“How did you-”
“I come here to satisfy my thoughts,” I whispered. “This place…Everything sooths my soul. I found it one day running through the woods.”
She couldn’t say a word as I jumped a couple feet down off the cliff. Ravan gasped. All I could do was laugh. She looked down and seen me standing on a rock sticking out of the ground.
“It’s the only way down Rave,” I held out my arms. “I’ll catch you.” I knew for a fact she wasn’t big in heights. I wonder how much she still trusts me, I thought, after all this time. I looked up and seen her shake her head and sigh and then she jumped. She landed in my arms with no harm done. She looked at me and smiled. Her youthful green eyes glistened and danced.
“Do I have to get down?” she whimpered, “You can carry me down the rest of the way.”
“Of course,” I smiled and laughed. I guess she does trust me. Amazing. I leaped down again and again from rock to rock until we reached the grass at the bottom. There was something about this place. Something that felt right, like nothing in harms way could touch it. It never got too cold. The water never froze. It was my perfect heaven.
I put Ravan down on her feet and lay silently onto the grass next to the water. She copied my exact movements and we stared at the stars. “So….”she started, “I guess it was a good thing you didn’t ditch me back there. This place is so beautiful.” She silently giggled.
“What’s so funny?” I glanced over and whispered.
“Nothing, I would have just never known you to be the one to come to a place like this.” Nothing was said for awhile. We laid there in silence. “I’m sorry,” she murmured. It took me by surprise.
“For what?”
“For always being so nosy. This was a personal place, a secret of yours.”
“You really think it’s such a big deal?”
“It always seems like it. You’re never around anymore. You’re so closed up. I miss you and I’m worried.”
I rolled over and gave her a hug. “Don’t worry,” I sighed, “I’m sorry as well.” For awhile it grew quiet again between us. I looked up at the moon and took a breath.

Deidara
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Deidara

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Chapter 1: Darkened Alley
Quote:
The complication was beyond what I know.
This is missing a verb in the first clause. I added in what I thought it was.

Quote:
I did not understand this world and I did not plan on it.
The "I did not" part of the sentence is somewhat repetitive, try experimenting with combining the clauses, using nor or other words so you don't have to repeat. Like, I did not understand this world nor did I plan on.

Quote:
What I did know was that this land I stand on was growing colder by the second, I was dying inside and no one even knew, and that my life was running on just the remains of sand.
This sentence was a little confusing for me. It may help to tell the reader your listing three things, as I thought the "I was dying inside and no one even knew" was oddly placed and not part of what the character knew. If not, some simple rearranging, like putting the third listed one as the second instead, or omiting/changing the "no one even knew" part to a metaphor/simile, to match the other two listed items, could all help out this sentence.

Quote:
It felt as if time stood still for the moment.
Not totally sure what is happening here, or how this sentence is significant. The narrator was talking about their previous state of knowledge, as if any moment before then would constitute that state. Then, this sentence makes it seem like they're talking about a specific instance when they were in this state. A very strange transition, especially at the end of the paragraph. Maybe bring this up earlier, or change it as you want it to fit.

Quote:
The wind was deathly cold as it blew across the air. My face was too numb to feel it.
Maybe vary up he sentence structure here? Both these sentences have a noun, the verb was, and an adjective to describe it, an then another clause with a verb and it. In that order, closely.

Quote:
Something crunched in the background in the alley way behind me.
I'd recommend changing the bolded part, as it makes the sentence awkward, as if the location of the crunching noise is more uncertain to the narrator.

Quote:
It sounded like a piece of glass breaking. I turned around and quietly walked into the darkness. As I inched to the dead end I felt a presence around me.
Quote:
I spun around into a defending position ready to attack, letting a hiss escape from under my lips.
Some word reordering could help this sentence flow easier. As it is, a comma should be between position and ready, but even then it would flow better if this was just made into two separate sentences. What mainly confused me here is that the narrator upholds a defending position, but is still prepared to attack. Shouldn't they be in an attacking position? Anywho, indicating more of an order to this series of actions might help. From what you have now, I can't tell whether they hissed last/first, whether they readied themselves to attack after resuming a defense position, and such and such. Try to work with it a bit, and I'll see if your product makes more sense to he reader. :)

Sorry I couldn't make it through it all. I'll try to return to it later. Seems like an interesting piece!