Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 PM

Korea has apparently been catering to male consumers of cosmetics lately and has a pretty good approach to packaging for it... but that's more of a practical thing as korea is so image conscious it's almost seen as a necessity rather than an ornamental thing, which is what it seems like it's being peddled here. Covergirl may still be thinking this is something of a novelty, which probably isn't the best approach.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 01-04-2017, 12:16 AM

nothing wrong with the makeup style being "for decoration" as opposed to "for covering blemishes" and such, but if they're going to bother using a male for their advertising, they should find a way of doing the former without making it as feminine as possible. there are so many ways to do makeup, and that includes ways men can wear makeup and still look like... well, men.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 AM

Oh, I don't mean there's anything wrong with it being a hobby or decorative, I just mean if it's seen as a practical thing it's much more likely to be widely marketed and integrated, rather that something that's considered more of niche.

jupiter
inactive account

Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 AM

They're always giving "tips" to cover that blemish, ladies, wear this perfume to entice him, blah blah, blahh, be comfortable with yourself (as long as you're staying in shape) and here's a great makeup routine so you can look your best at the gym.
Going for that dewy no makeup/makeup look? We have a routine for you?

It's expected of women.
But as soon as some guy starts wearing it, I'm supposed to applaud him? No thanks.

Red Lion

Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
They're always giving "tips" to cover that blemish, ladies, wear this perfume to entice him, blah blah, blahh, be comfortable with yourself (as long as you're staying in shape) and here's a great makeup routine so you can look your best at the gym.
Going for that dewy no makeup/makeup look? We have a routine for you?

It's expected of women.
But as soon as some guy starts wearing it, I'm supposed to applaud him? No thanks.
No no, you're not supposed to applaud the guy. You're supposed to applaud Covergirl for saying "boys can wear this too!" You're supposed to be wowed by their diversity and inclusiveness. You know, because they're being inclusive of a boy who's already kind of well known for wearing makeup in an age where a lot of men where makeup and there are makeup products specifically marketed to men....but you know, give all the asspats to covergirl because "boys can wear this too!." Instead of actually going the length of making their products gender neutral or advertising makeup in a more masculine frame.

It's a boy modeling women's makeup. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't feel like the company deserves more than a phlegmatic "MEH" for it.

These are also men in a makeup ad. Coverboy might not be an obvious drag queen but the style of his makeup is invariably the same. And that's the problem, mainstream makeup might use diverse models but the product itself is not remotely diverse.

Here's a guy who did an ad for Maybelline.

Same shit yo. The products only advertise a single look and it's a look that is geared in a feminine direction.

Last edited by Red Lion; 01-04-2017 at 10:25 PM..

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 01-06-2017, 07:34 PM

Hmmm, I never thought about it quite like that before.
I still think that a male Covergirl is awesome and inclusive and shows diversity, but I guess it has been done before and it doesn't make sense to applaud Covergirl for something that isn't exactly "new".

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM

wake me up when they show a man wearing makeup in a way that isn't intended to make him look like a woman, and actually market to men, instead of just using a man dressed as a woman to sell a women's product to women.
even then they wouldn't be the first to make makeup for men, but it's a lot more rare--especially when it comes to anything beyond basic skin care and coverup--and almost never advertised.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledaddy View Post
wake me up when they show a man wearing makeup in a way that isn't intended to make him look like a woman, and actually market to men, instead of just using a man dressed as a woman to sell a women's product to women.
even then they wouldn't be the first to make makeup for men, but it's a lot more rare--especially when it comes to anything beyond basic skin care and coverup--and almost never advertised.
I think they do in movies uncledaddy: they put make-up on the male actors to make them look a certain way or handsomer

Setsunaela
Glitter Fae

Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM

While I think it's great for James to be a new face for Covergirl, I agree that it's not really that radical. I mean yes, for mainstream makeup it's a relatively big deal, but a lot of indie makeup companies have done it before, using male models for their products. I do wish there were mainstream options marketed toward men without being.. toxically male? Maybe options that aren't specifically gendered at all, just makeup items marketed using a variety of people using them in a variety of ways. Female faces with basic, "no makeup" looks, male faces with heavy glam looks, and vice versa, as well as some faces with things in between, like a plain lip with a bit of eyeliner and a splash of color on the eyelid, etc. I think that would be a big deal.. and I'd also really like to see it. I love makeup, but I really don't love that wearing a lot of makeup makes people automatically assume you're trying to be feminine..

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 02-12-2017, 04:20 PM

hmm that is a good point setsunaela

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony of the Night View Post
I think they do in movies uncledaddy: they put make-up on the male actors to make them look a certain way or handsomer
yeah, but it's not really a normal thing being advertised, and even then, the goal is usually to look like there is no makeup.