Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 PM

My old laptop gave out a month ago. So I decided to go the local county store and buy a new laptop. I got one for $18. All I needed was a hard drive, charger, and a copy of windows.

Overall, I spent around $175 for the laptop over all.

The laptop is a Lenovo think-pad T430s. This model has 8GB of ram and an Intel i5 processor. I'll share a picture of the master piece when I can.

Have any of you ever 'built' or customized your own laptop?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-18-2018, 12:10 AM

Seems like you got a pretty good deal there and got what you wanted.
A lot of my coworkers and friends have customized their gaming computers because everyone I know is a huge nerd. And my family, lol. Me though, I wouldn't know what to do, so I think it's cool you were able to start with something that was $18 and come out with a laptop that works.

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM

When I can, I'll build one for my great aunt. I also want to build both of us laptops with i7 processors.

I don't build it from scratch. I usually buy the casing. It comes with everything but the hard drive (and sometimes the charger).
Then I buy a hard drive, an OS, and sometimes a charger. Those are the necessities needed to run a laptop.

I'll post a picture of the one I built last year.

Legrand
Risque's mule

Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Ooh, at $175 it's the price of a Chromebook except you have a lot more leeway on what apps you can run. Nice job.

These days you get the biggest performance boost from installing an SSD, which is only like $60 now too :D

Dottie Mae Evans
*~It's all good~*

Old 01-08-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand View Post
Ooh, at $175 it's the price of a Chromebook except you have a lot more leeway on what apps you can run. Nice job.

These days you get the biggest performance boost from installing an SSD, which is only like $60 now too :D
Without the extra stuff, it was $120 (just for the casing, hard drive, and adapter).

XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 08-12-2022, 01:20 PM

Yes and no.

Dad help set up some of my Mac. But not really.