Chrysothemis
Eternal Lurker

Old 12-26-2017, 01:20 AM

I didn't see a thread for this game, so I figured that I'd make one! Mabinogi is a Korean MMO that allows you to not only pick and choose classes as you please through rebirth, but also boasts deep crafting classes!

(And other stuff, but I'm still a newbie, so I'm hardly one to explain the game well... ^^; )

I wanted to see if there were more people that play, and see if I can convince some more people to join.

Wanna join? Fill out the form!
Code:
Username:
Main Alt:
Favorite Class:
Other Notes/Alts:
Server List

Alexina
Username: Chrysothemis
Main Alt: Nataros
Favorite Class: Close Combat / Tailor
Other Notes/Alts: I'm in the less than level 1000 club!

Mari

Ruairi

Tarlach

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what else to add??? This is an old MMO but it's been fun, so I'm hoping to find some more friends.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-26-2017, 05:09 AM

I played this once MANY MANY years ago, didn't even know it was still around! And is level 1000 a real thing!?

Right now I'm playing (on and off) a similarly open-ended MMO that's still in Alpha called Project: Gorgon. You should check it out! It's been years in the making, is done by a very small team, and has a massive number of skills to learn and no class system.

...Not to poach your Mabinogi thread, just kinda cross-promoting this game. I don't think it gets enough love! It's free to check out, so worth a shot!

But on the topic of Mabinogi: What's the player base like? Are there still a lot of people playing?

And how long have to played it? I think I played it for a solid month and loved the concept, but that was around 2008/9 I believe. Just curious if you can speak to how it's changed (or not? D:) over the years!

Chrysothemis
Eternal Lurker

Old 12-26-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
I played this once MANY MANY years ago, didn't even know it was still around! And is level 1000 a real thing!?

Right now I'm playing (on and off) a similarly open-ended MMO that's still in Alpha called Project: Gorgon. You should check it out! It's been years in the making, is done by a very small team, and has a massive number of skills to learn and no class system.

...Not to poach your Mabinogi thread, just kinda cross-promoting this game. I don't think it gets enough love! It's free to check out, so worth a shot!

But on the topic of Mabinogi: What's the player base like? Are there still a lot of people playing?

And how long have to played it? I think I played it for a solid month and loved the concept, but that was around 2008/9 I believe. Just curious if you can speak to how it's changed (or not? D:) over the years!
No worries! I'll have to check it out.

With Rebirth it's totally possible to have a combined level in the thousands. I'm at 199 right now (49, in my current job). I've only been playing a few months, so I can't really attest to the player base with much certainty. The people I've met have been super nice, though few. The storyline is really cool, though. I've been enjoying it... until I got stuck on a boss...

The game is still being updated, though! Everyone's been preparing for the new skill, Chain Slash, to drop, and there's a lot of pre-release quests for it.

Facade
Ticking Time Bomb of Titillation

Old 12-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Oh wow, that's so awesome it's still being updated!

Since the peak of my time in the MMO scene there's been so much debate in the community about "p2w"/pay-to-win, Cash Shop-heavy games. Is Mabinogi like that at all, in your experience?

And is the game pretty much soloable/expected for you to play solo? I'm finding that so much these days with MMOs and it gets frustrating, because if I wanted that I'd intentionally play something offline.

Chrysothemis
Eternal Lurker

Old 12-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
Oh wow, that's so awesome it's still being updated!

Since the peak of my time in the MMO scene there's been so much debate in the community about "p2w"/pay-to-win, Cash Shop-heavy games. Is Mabinogi like that at all, in your experience?

And is the game pretty much soloable/expected for you to play solo? I'm finding that so much these days with MMOs and it gets frustrating, because if I wanted that I'd intentionally play something offline.
If my issue with the Golem at the end of the Fiodh dungeon is anything to say, I don't know if soloing is totally possible (and I'm still in the Generation 1 story line!), but I've actually been keeping away from combat so far, so my knowledge is limited. There was actually an event recently that encouraged use of the various material gathering skills, so I haven't been in a dungeon or shadow mission in ages...

I know Mabi has a cash shop, but most of it seems to be either cosmetic or 'ease of use' style items. Now that do have gatcha stuff in rotation which I am less than excited about. So far, it seems like you can play the game and only run into the game pushing for the cash shop twice, in my experience. Once when you learn the style tab requires a key that only lasts for a month at a time, and when you go to change your appearance at Rebirth and find that some hairstyles and hair/eye colors are only available with Pon (their cash currency). The later I can forgive since you get some free Pon as a newbie, and I don't really change my appearance when going through rebirth, personally. But it is something worth noting, for those who are easily tempted by the shiny allure of cosmetics.