Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2018, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Wow I'm loving the avatars for Avalyss. Kind of wish the males were a bit more muscle-y but that's just my personal preference.
Thanks! :D

My intent is to make a body mod item that you'll either get at the start or for cheap that will allow you to make yourself more muscly and another one for people who prefer curvier figures. And they'll have their own respective shops. But I'm figuring out how all of that works together right now. It's so much easier to work in this style instead of pixel though!

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 AM

Oh cool! That sounds pretty complicated, having to fit the items onto different body types.

Any idea when the site'll become open for the masses?

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
Oh cool! That sounds pretty complicated, having to fit the items onto different body types.

Any idea when the site'll become open for the masses?
Well, my idea is to have a seperate store just for those bases, and then certain items will be converted to fit them. But it shouldn't be too terribly tough to do that once they're made. I basically draw everything way bigger so that I can go really loose with the lines and shading then shrink it down to the right size.

As far as opening to the masses, there will be a few windows:

Open Alpha and Closed Beta - for Non-Avaricia members. There will be windows to sign up with this. I expect Open Alpha to be ready in late spring. Closed Beta will probably be during the summer. Official open (Open Beta) will probably be late summer or fall depending on where we are as far as content (basically items, things to do, etc)

For anyone that's on Avaricia, you get some bonus goodies tho! Until the end of November anyone that makes a post gets an invite to join Early Alpha. After November, there will be tokens you can earn on the site through daily log-in grants and these can be sold, traded, given away by members who might already have them. So that's another way. Starting in January of next year, we're switching to strictly Beta invites on the site. So anyone who joins from Avaricia gets a currency and EXP bonus (all money they ever owned on the old site and account age + posts determine EXP) as well as special items.

So basically, I'm letting people from the old site into the new one as soon as it's ready to have people on it and adding more people in waves.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-27-2018, 05:24 AM

I like how old members get a few goodies, though for new members they'll have to work harder in order to be able to keep up. Is gold earning similar to Mene on Avaricia/Avalyss or is it totally different?

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2018, 05:36 AM

@Antagonist You can earn by forums but there will be other ways:

- Turning in items to characters that take certain items. Say NPC wants firewood. You collect firewood and turn it in to said NPC for money and more goodies.
- Fighting battles will win money
- Finishing story segments earns money
- Eventually quests and world exploration will earn money as quests are complete and areas are cleared. :) But that's for later on when it can be funded.

Also contests, games, daily log in rewards, etc.

Basically I'm trying to move the site away from a forum with avatars and more into an RPG game with social elements if that makes any sense?

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-27-2018, 06:10 AM

That sounds cool! Reminds me of a pet site I was once on, though I can't find it anymore.

Are all items available to everyone? Or will there be donation items and other limited edition items?

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-27-2018, 08:16 AM

There will be donation items and things like that. I do want to make it possible to earn them without donating with some work though. :3

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 AM

Sounds amazing <33 Can't wait to see it when it's released!

stormiie
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via Yahoo to stormiie

Old 12-18-2018, 08:10 PM

Oooh that site sounds awesome!

Micki Chiba
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Micki Chiba Send a message via MSN to Micki Chiba Send a message via Yahoo to Micki Chiba

Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM

Sorry, I have not been on here in awhile. It looks like Gaia headed the same way Ernya and TinierMe did.

Gaiaonline website explains the problem

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 PM

what Happened with GAIA

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 AM

I won't say it's really going the way of Ernya. I don't remember everything that happened with Tinier me.

But the root of Gaia's problems is that they grew really big and the previous management did a number on the team's morale, as well as the site's economy, and lost a great deal of trust from the userbase. So they were trying to fund running the huge amount of servers needed to run such a large site. Focus went into RIG items and everything was left to rot in the name of profit. When the old team returned to the site, it was in shambles. They're having some financial difficulties now due to that loss of trust, and a change in times. They needed to pull back, trying to fix the issues with the previous management. They also had a lot going on and a lot of side-projects, trying to get more users in.

Moving to the cloud servers was one way to cut back costs while making the site more efficient in the long run. But it's not enough and focusing on rebuilding that trust will be a big step forward. Though they are likely in need of funds to get moving and hire more staff so that things can be fixed and updated in a more timely manner.

I can still see Gaia being around for much, much longer. I think this was a smart and honest move.

Risque
bing chilling

Old 12-26-2018, 03:49 AM

So I've been extremely OOTL on avatar sites... looks like even Gaia Online is in big trouble?
https://www.gaiaonline.com/gaiapledge/

EDIT: OOF I had not realized the text link above was the same one @_@

Last edited by Risque; 12-28-2018 at 05:44 AM..

kelseydee
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-28-2018, 04:15 AM

Sadly. Avi sites seem to b a thing of the past. C'est le vie, c'est le Mort, c'est le ink

Risque
bing chilling

Old 12-28-2018, 05:48 AM

I admit that it's much easier to engage with communities like Reddit, tumblr, discord, etcetc, but there's always going to be a niche for dress-up avatars. I wish they were more accessible; full mobile functionality will go a long way in attracting the younger generation. Shiett, lots of young adults these days never even use PCs except for word processing.

MoodyBats
Scarce Menewshan

Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM

Tattered Weave is another good one.
you can craft stuff like food and clothes.
and bunch of games to earn currency.
But the forums are pretty quiet but maybe that is since i don't think there are too many members there.

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 AM

I only go on Gaia now to make sure my accounts are still active. Everyone I knew on my various accounts there are mostly gone now/haven't been around in at least five years or more.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseydee View Post
Sadly. Avi sites seem to b a thing of the past. C'est le vie, c'est le Mort, c'est le ink
I've been researching this a good deal in the last year or so in trying to figure out where to go with my own site.

Dress up games, avatars and the escapism behind them is going nowhere.

The methodology that most sites since Gaia Online have employed is going to keep them from growing. Reddit killed the forum, everyone wants instant gratification with likes. People have shortening attention spans. People simply do not use sites where they aren't involved in a consistent feedback loop.

If you can do something different, I think it works. Other new sites are going that way and seem to be very successful.

Last edited by Shion Uzuki; 03-08-2019 at 05:08 AM..

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 AM

Since a few people asked, the first fully dressed avatar with all the goodies for Avalyss has been made! Still working on the recoloring system, but it's at least capable of making avatars in the new style now. I made a test one. :D

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Now Roli is going to be closing down too. :(
I agree that avatar sites really don't seem to be doing too well anymore. Maybe it's just nostalgia that keeps me coming back, but I really do miss the small community feel of some of these smaller avatar sites, plus getting to dress up and accrue items.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 AM

That Avalyss avatar looks gorgeous! I hope the items will all be for all sexes

@Cinderella: I agree I like the community feel of things and making gold and getting items. Being able to dress up our own individual avatars is one of the main reasons I like avatar sites besides chatting and making friends.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Honestly, I'm thinking about joining Avalyss based on that avi alone! It's so pretty!

@ Antagonist: I guess it does cost a lot of money to keep them running, especially if they're a small site, but it seems like there might be enough of us that are willing to keep chatting and hanging out that hopefully at least one of them will stick around.

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 AM

I think it's still in its beta stage at the moment? If Mene ever goes down I guess I'll have somewhere to go.

Inso's mentioned how Mene's his own personal money sink before, so it's never made any money for him. I guess he finally stopped caring about the site. :(

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Well, should he ever decide to sell mene or the name for mene I would probably try to buy it. Hopefully I am doing better off if/when that happens.

Cinderella
Boop!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:53 PM

If he stopped cared, you'd think he would be okay with selling it, but looking at what happened with Ernya, apparently it's not as straightforward as all that. ☹️