Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 AM

With a twinkle in her eye and a wide grin, Rochiel pulled her cloak and scarf tight. She gave the handsome fellow selling tickets an infectious smile, "One ticket please," she lay the fee on the ticket counter and took the small slip of paper, tucking it safely in her pocket as she turned her gaze to the bustling station.

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 AM

It was going to be a fabulous trip! Now that her ticket was safely tucked away, Rochiel took a moment to cast her eyes around the spangled station. Stars hung from the ceiling along with red and green baubles and long garlands of silver and gold. It seemed like the entire place was glittering with holiday spirit. She hummed a Christmas carol as she made her way to the station's food court. She bought herself a plate of mild chicken curry and sat down at a table to watch the other travelers. She found that plane and train stations were the best places to do some people-watching; especially during the holidays. She had a perfect view of platform 17 where a train had just arrived from up north. A couple was tearfully embracing, smiling and laughing joyfully. The man pulled a tissue from his pocket and used it to wipe his wife's tears. Rochiel couldn't help but smile as she finished her food and returned her tray. Glancing down at her watch, Rochiel let out a little squeek; the train was set to leave in twenty minutes! Pulling out her ticket, she tried to find the platform number, but the ticket was a jumble of information. "No time!" she muttered to herself as she stuffed it back into her pocket and took off down the station. She vaguely remembered the brochure saying something about the Spirit of Calesco departing from a new platform that had been added to the station. Seeing no other option, she wove in and out of travelers, apologizing frantically as she bumped into a yellow-haired man with a basket under his arm, "I am so sorry sir! I hope I didn't hurt you!"
The man just smiled, "Don't worry, miss. What's your rush?"
Rochiel sighed, "I'm supposed to be leaving in ten minutes and I have no idea where I am or where I'm going!" she could feel tears welling up in her eyes and looked away quickly. She felt a gentle hand on her shoulder and glanced up to find the man holding out a handkerchief, which she took gratefully, "Thank you...?"
"Nalin Sun," he said with a bright smile, "Hey, I know something that might cheer you up; come with me," he took her hand and led her down a back corridor of the station and out into a central garden frosted with snow and ice. The flowers sparkled like early morning sun like jewels and Rochiel giggled as she watched a group of rabbits frolic among the winter foliage.
"It's spectacular!" she breathed, "I've never seen anything like it!" she knelt and held out a hand to one of the bunnies, smiling as it hopped over and nuzzled her fingers, "Hey little fellow, want a treat?" she reached into her bag and pulled out a baby carrot she had been saving for a snack. The little gray bunny nibbled it happily and gave her quite the shock when it leaped into her satchel and looked up at her as if to say: "Alright, I'm ready to go!"
Nalin laughed, "Looks like you've got a travel buddy! And he doesn't even need a ticket," he took her hand and pointed across the garden, "We'd better hurry or there won't be any crepes left!"
Rochiel looked up and gasped as she noticed the coppery engine for the first time. The white clouds of steam chuffed softly into the cold morning air as the train let out a low, musical whistle. Emblazoned across the length of the engine was a beautiful phoenix whose tail feathers trailed down the length of the train cars and curled around the engine's name. It was the most spectacular vehicle she had ever laid eyes on and she had to consciously close her mouth to stop from gaping. Nalin smiled as he led her across the garden to the conductor who punched her ticket with a smile, "Welcome to the Spirit of Calesco, Miss Sliverfire! I hope you enjoy your trip," she smiled and turned to Nalin, "Thank you for all your help! Will you be coming on the trip with us?"
He nodded, "I have a few more things to do before I board, but I'm sure I'll see you around,"
She gave his hand a little squeeze, "I look forward to it!" She hitched her satchel and her new furry friend up her shoulder as she boarded the train and made her way to her cabin. It was a charming little room decorated in red, purple, and gold with a bed that pulled out of the wall and a cherry wood writing desk, "Well, here we are!" she looked out the window and waited excitedly for the adventure to begin.

Last edited by Rochiel Silverfire; 12-30-2011 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot to separate "Stop 1" (It ended up in the same post)

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 AM

The sight of the countryside whizzing by was more exhilarating than anything Rochiel had ever experienced. She was having a splendid time meeting new people, shooting dice, and chatting with old friends. Pooka (as she had taken to calling her lapine companion) was attracting plenty of attention as well. The first evening while she was sitting in the dining car she let Pooka hop into her lap and nibble at the carrots in her salad. She heard a gasp of disgust from behind her and looked around as a snobbish woman began to screech, "Who let that disgusting creature onto the train?! Eew! It's eating off one of the plates! Charles, get rid of it!"
A man started towards Rochiel, who held Pooka tight and glared. He was suddenly stopped by a hand on his shoulder and a soft voice, "All are welcome to ride upon the Spirit of Calesco, human or not," it was Nalin, holding a potted poinsettia, "So please move along," the man and woman walked off in a huff and Nalin gave Rochiel a smile.
"Thank you, Nalin,"
"Don't mention it. Look, we're here!" The train came to a gentle stop in the Garland station and the passengers began to disembark.

Garland was a beautiful town on the edge of a sparkling lake. Rochiel took a deep breath of frosty air and shivered excitedly, "Wow! Have you ever seen anything like it?" Pooka shook his head, ears flopping. There was so much to see, they hardly knew where to start! Since time was limited, she decided it would be best to see the highlights first. She reached the lake's edge just as the barge was leaving for the chapel at the lake's center, "No! Wait!" she broke into a run down the dock, jumping the five foot gap and landing on the barge in a heap. Panting, she began to pull herself up, but stopped with a yelp as her pants tore on an exposed piece of metal. Sitting back, she looked down and saw a gash down her leg. With a groan, she tore the bottom of her pantleg off, wrapped it around her wound, and tied it in a knot. She was feeling rather sullen as they disembarked at the chapel. She waited for the crowd to disperse before making her way to the grave to place a flower and pay her respects to the starcrossed lovers. She was ready to turn away when she noticed Pooka digging by the stone, "Stop that, it's rude," she scolded gently, but stopped when he hopped back and dropped a heart-shaped stone into her hand, "How strange..." she shrugged and dropped it in her satchel. Next stop was the small copse of trees behind the chapel. In the center was an ancient oak. Carved in the bark of the tree was a riddle: I can flutter and take your breath away. I can take a beating, but do not bruise. If I stopped you would be sure to lose. Everyday I am with you. Below was a hole that looked like it could hold a small object. She sat and chewed her lip as she tried to solve the riddle. Pooka nudged her foot suddenly and she looked down to see him holding up the small red stone they had found earlier at the lakeside. She took it from him and gasped, "Of course! It's your heart!" she laughed and carefully set the stone in the open slot. There was a clicking sound, like tumblers in a lock, and a little compartment swung open to reveal a box. Inside she found a yellowed note that read: I have hidden this box in hopes that someday someone will come along who can solve my riddle and return my heart. As a reward, please take the wedding ring that was to be my bride's. I no longer need it, as we are now together in the afterlife. I hope it brings you the joy it was to bring me. Inside was a lovely golden band with a ruby set in it. She smiled and slipped it onto her finger and was surprised to find it was a perfect fit. She straightened and smiled down at Pooka, "Well, buddy, looks like this turned out to be a pretty good day after all. We should be getting back before the dining car closes for the night, I'm starved!" she laughed lightly as he hopped into her satchel with a nod, and together they headed back out of the woods. As they came into the open, both were unaware that a silvery man and woman floated, hand in hand, just beyond the edge of the forest. They exchanged a smile before fading into the cold, night air.

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 AM

The trip from Garland was much quieter and Rochiel spent much of it in her cabin with Pooka. She had found some desk supplies as she explored her temporary home. Inside the drawer in the little table was glue, some note cards, a blank moleskin book, and a pouch full of sharpened pencils; she was ecstatic! In hurry to pack she had forgotten her sketchbook and was itching to draw some of the sights. She started with a sketch of Pooka, who was surprisingly patient as he posed for his portrait. When they reached Reinsend station, she scooped the moleskin and pencils into her bag, followed by Pooka with an excited meep.

The town of Reinsend was beautiful! A charming village surrounded by evergreen forests sparkling with snow; and above it all rose the spectacular, snow-capped volcanic peaks where the dragons lived. She stood in awe for a moment, just staring at the scenery, until she heard a snort behind her and Pooka gave her hip a quick nip. She jumped and spun around in time to see a herd of reindeer charging towards her at a fast trot. She covered her head and shut her eyes, trying to make herself as small as possible as the deer split around her and kept going. She heard a sharp whistle following the reindeer and looked back up, relived to be alive, and saw a fellow about her age jogging towards her, "So sorry! The herd got spooked by an invisible cow and I wasn't able to stop them. I hope you aren't hurt..."
Rochiel nodded, "I'm alright, they went around..." she laughed, still nervous and a little shaken, "Wait, what's an invisible cow?"
The man laughed, "You aren't from around here are you?"
"No, I just arrived on the train,"
He motioned for her to follow a few steps before he pointed down at a mushroom, "This is an invisible cow," noticing her frown, he stepped on the mushroom which exploded with a mooing sound, "One of the deer stepped on one out in the field and it spooked the whole herd. I'm Gregory," he held out his hand, and she took it.
Rochiel laughed brightly, "That's wonderful!" she giggled, "I'm Rochiel. Pleasure to meet you! Any other things I should know about in town?"
He thought for a moment, "Well, we've got a pretty nice bakery in town, and the bonfires tonight aren't to be missed! Maybe I'll see you there?"
She smiled, "I hope so!"
Gregory waved as he went off after the herd of reindeer, whistling and shouting commands to guide the deer back out to their grazing field.

Rochiel found the bakery that Gregory had spoke of without any trouble. There was a large wooden sign hanging above the door in the shape of a cupcake. Inside was a round woman with bright red cheeks and an infectious smile, "Welcome to Tarandus Tarts! Can I get you something yummy, sugar?"
Rochiel nodded, "I would love a slice of that carrot cake," Pooka popped his head out of her bag excitedly and added his nod to hers.
"Coming right up!" the woman went to package a slice, but was stopped by a girl who ran out of the kitchen.
"Mrs. Buttercream, we have a problem. The chestnut bread we ordered never showed up and we don't have any free hands to make more!"
"Oh no! Mayor Carib will be so disappointed!"
Rochiel piped up shyly, "Um, I can help. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen, and baking is my specialty,"
Mrs. Buttercream wasted no time, throwing a hat and apron onto Rochiel in a flash. Time flew by in the kitchen as the cooks laughed and sang along to the music on the gramophone. Rochiel managed to snap a picture of Pooka nibbling a piece of carrot cake Mrs. Buttercream gave him. They were so grateful and welcoming, Rochiel thought she'd never leave! But when the steaming chestnut bread came out of the oven, Mrs. Buttercream took back her equipment and shooed her out of the kitchen, "You're going to miss all the fun! But take this for all your hard work," she handed her a box with a beautiful carrot cake and a paper bag that contained one of the loaves of bread.

Carrying her gifts, Rochiel and Pooka stepped out into the firelit night. She spotted Gregory raking up the coals in one of the smaller fires. He waved and ran over to her, taking her hand with a grin, "Ready for the night of your life?"
She nodded and let him lead her into the party. They danced and drank until dawn. Gregory walked her back to the train and stole a kiss, making her blush, "Maybe I'll see you again?"
Rochiel giggled and blushed, "You can count on it!"

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Gregory joined her for breakfast before the train chuffed off. As the engine pulled out of the station, Rochiel leaned out the window to wave and, with a stroke of inspiration, quickly took out one of her earrings and tossed it to him, "I'll be back for that, so keep it safe for me!" she called.
He caught it and waved, "I will!"
She waved until he was out of sight. Then she sat back in the car and pulled out the loaf of bread she had made. She had shared it with a few people, not wanting it to get moldy before they got back. The trip up the mountains to Icy Peaks was stunning. The noontime sun glinted off the snow, and the fog made it look as though below them was an endless drop. Many of the passengers seemed edgy, but Rochiel couldn't get enough of the sights. Though, after a few hours of trees, the scenery became banal and Rochiel began to wish they would just get there already. She finally went to the dining car and began to munch cake and coco. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Nalin frowning gently, "You shouldn't eat so many sweets, they'll rot your teeth," he scolded gently, "They serve a lovely iceberg salad you know,"
She blushed, "I know, I'm just a bit of an addict..."
"Well, it's a celebration, so I guess I'll let it slide," he gave her shoulder a squeeze, "I have a few things to do before we arrive," he left with a smile.

Leaving the train when they reached Icy Peaks her boots crunched on the snow and ice. Just as she was about to descend the steps, an object hit her from behind and made her stagger and crash down the hard stairs onto the ground. Holding back tears, she rubbed her bum and whimpered as Pooka nudged her gently. A woman ran up to her apologizing, "I'm so sorry! My son threw that, but I'm sure he meant no harm!" she bent down and helped Rochiel to her feet, "Please, let me treat you to lunch and maybe show you around? It's the least I can do," Rochiel nodded, accepting the solatium as she followed the woman and a small boy to a small building at the edge of town. Inside was shadowed, lit only by a single lightbulb that seemed to be going haywire. The front window had a huge crack in it that was patched with duct tape, "I know it doesn't look like much, but they have the best food in town," the woman said as they sat.
She wasn't lying, and Rochiel ate ravenously. As she finished, she suddenly realized that her body had stopped aching halfway through the meal. The woman must have noticed her odd look because she smiled, "The best food," she said with a wink. When they were finished, Rochiel thanked her and left, wanting to see the sights before nightfall. As she reached the edge of town, she realized she hadn't caught her name. But it was too late now, so she shrugged and continued. She found a sign that pointed the way to a hiking trail up the mountain to the shrine of the Ice Queen. Hitching up her satchel and pulling her coat tight, she set off up the hill.
Her breath shown in puffs of steam as she took the steep trail up through the trees, over and around boulders that sparkled like diamonds in the hillside. It was getting colder and harder to breath as she climbed higher and higher, the air was growing thin. So much that the sky had begun to lose its blue color as the atmosphere began to dissipate. Just as she thought she couldn't continue, she saw a massive sculpture rising over the top of the hill. With a burst of energy, she crested the hill and was met by the shrine of the Ice Queen. But before she could gape too long, the "statue" that had drawn her up the hill spread a pair of massive sapphire wings and lifted into the darkening sky with a sound like a giant bell. Her jaw dropped, "A real dragon!" she breathed in awe as she stood, frozen to the ground. The dragon circled once before disappearing up into the mountainous peaks. Inside the shrine was a statue of the Ice Queen carved from the living stone of the mountain. Rochiel laid a bunch of flowers she had picked on the way up at the Queen's feet as an offering before looking up at the woman. With a start, she realized that she actually recognized the woman! It was the same sweet lady who had taken her to lunch.

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 AM

Rochiel's time in Saint's Pole seemed to be cursed. She was eager to experience the town's celebration to the fullest, and that meant working in one of the famous artisan shops. After scoping out a few and getting rejected, she reached the Tin Soldier Toy Shop. It was the most famous toy shop in the village and she hit the jackpot when she asked the foreman if he would let her join them in their work. To her delight, he agreed and set her up in the back. She was horrible at it! Everything she touched seemed to break or stop working: the wheels of the cars kept falling off, the calculators wouldn't do math, the gramophones wouldn't turn, and she kept tearing the pages of the books. She was so angry with herself! She picked up a doll and was ready to throw it across the workshop, but something stopped her. As if in a trance, she picked up a brush and began to paint the doll's face and stitch her dress. After an hour, she let out a whistle and a whoop as she put the finishing touch on the doll. It was the loveliest thing she had ever made! She did a dance, but caught her foot on the edge of the rug; with a yell, she stumbled backwards, stepped in a basket of jellybeans and went down in a heap with a horrible crash. The sound of the fall alone was enough to bring tears to your eyes, but her soft, lachrymose weeping could break the hardest heart. She had been trying so hard and when she finally did something right, everything else went awry! She felt nothing would ever work out for her again. The kids rushed to help her up and into the bed and bring her an icepack for her twisted ankle. The littlest girl brought her a cup of tea and a little cake to make her feel better. With a sigh, she smiled at the gathering of kids, "After everything I've done, you're all still so kind. I wish I had something to give you..."
The little girl piped up at once, "Will you...tell us a story?" the other kids murmured their agreement, many grinning excitedly.
Rochiel brightened, "Of course! I'd love to!" she motioned for them to gather closer, "This is one of my holiday favorites: Once upon a time there was an irascible old man who lived on top of a mountain. Every year he would look down at the village of Whoot and scowl at their winter festivities. The villagers celebrated a holiday much like the Festival of Winter Nights, but they called it Christmas. The old man had an incorrigible belief that Christmas was nothing but noise and nonsense. The lit and decorated tree, the singing, the feasting; but worst of all was the exchanging of gifts. The grumpy old man believed that the villagers were selfish and only wanted an excuse to get more stuff. So one year he decided to ruin the villagers' Christmas by stealing it all! He dressed up like the Spirit of Christmas and snuck into the village on Christmas Eve on a giant sleigh. She crept into each house and packed up everything he could get his cruel hands on into sacks. Once he finished he rode the sleigh to the top of the mountains and waited for the villagers to wake and discover his crime so he could listen to them cry as he pushed their gifts off the cliff. But they didn't cry! They went into the village square and began to sing. The joyfulness of the song melted the old man's heart and convinced him that Christmas wasn't about greed, but togetherness. So with a song in his own heart, he returned the villagers' Christmas and even joined them for their feast. It was the most joyous Christmas anyone had ever had,"
The children cheered as she finished, piling on her in a group hug, "That was wonderful! Thank you so much!" they all giggled together as they helped Rochiel limp to the door. The foreman presented her with a lovely carved cane to help her walk back to the train. She thanked him and tried to pay, but he wouldn't let her, saying with a laugh that she had done plenty already.
On the walk back, she saw a lumpy color in the snow. Leaning down she brushed it clear and found an old top hat crumpled there, probably from a long-forgotten snowman. With a goofy smile, she picked it up and set it on her head. She giggled as she limped back to her cabin for a nap. Maybe it wasn't such a bad trip afterall.

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Rochelle Harbor reminded her of Menewsha Central and it was comforting to know they were close to home. When they arrived, she had giggled at the similarity to her name. Rochiel Harbor...she liked the sound of that! She made her way to the center of of town where everyone seemed to be gathering. Never before had she seen so many different types of food! Sweet and savory, meat and veggies, bread and cheese and just about anything else that could ever tickle your fancy! She wasted no time buying some tasty treats for the ride home. Suddenly, she felt a nudge against her satchel and heard a squeak. She looked down to see a huge dog trying to get into her pack! It was growling low and Pooka was cowering. Before she could shoo the creature away, Pooka squealed and leaped from her pack and took off down the street with the dog barking viciously in hot pursuit. Rochiel took off, yelling for someone to stop them. But before anyone could stop to help, Pooka turned sharply and bolted down the causeway and off the edge with a scream. The dog stopped just in time, but Rochiel had no other choice; she ran down the length of the dock and jumped off the edge into the stinking marsh where she had seen Pooka disappear. The inundation of salty water closed over her head and she sputtered as the taste of the rotting marsh filled her mouth. She groped around in the slimy darkness; once, she thought she had him, but came up with only a soft, rotten log. She dove back down into the muck and finally, her hands closed around a soft, four-legged form. Struggling, she kicked towards the surface and broke it with a gasp. She swam back to the dock and began pumping the muck and water from Pooka's lungs. It was a few tense moments before he coughed and began to breathe again. With Pooka safe, she suddenly realized how sick she now felt. She turned and vomited over the side of the dock before passing out.

She awoke much later in a warm bed, "Is...is Pooka okay?" she moaned weakly to whomever would listen.
"Shh...don't trouble yourself. Your rabbit's resting comfortably too,"
She was a little startled to get an answer so quickly, "Thank you, Miss...?"
"Plum, sweetie. You rest now,"
She was woken again by Miss Plum bringing her a bowl of hot soup, "Now save this until after your medication. It's right nasty, but it will do the job. You have Fen Sickness; it's caused by the consumption of the brackish water in the marsh. It's a nasty bug, but not too hard to get rid of," she proffered a spoonful of a neon green, viscous medicine and Rochiel took it hesitantly. The acerbic medicine made her grimace, but the hive of bees buzzing in her skull began to quiet down.
"You should ameliorate in no time, dearie,"
"Brain...too foggy...for big words..."
Miss Plum laughed, "You'll feel better soon,"
She was right; after a couple more hours of sleep, Rochiel felt right as rain. Pooka had been brought in to sleep with her earlier and he seemed to be recovering as well. It wouldn't be until later that she found out that Miss Plum was actually the confection master. When she was able to leave the bed, she headed back to the village. There was so much she hadn't seen yet, but one store caught her eye: Marvelous Markings. The inside was dressed in rich reds and golds and the woman behind the counter was covered with gems and artwork embedded in her skin, "Can I do something for you?" she asked with a smile.
"You know what..." Rochiel hesitated, "I think you can! I'm looking to get something to commemorate my first journey on the train,"
"Ah, the Spirit of Calesco! I have just the thing," she went to the back and brought out a drawing of a phoenix like the one on the train, "How would you like that on your shoulder?"
"Let's do it!"

Back on the train, she sat in the dining car with Nalin enjoying the treats of the Sugarplum Fair. She held up her crystal glass with a smile, "To the finale of our grand adventure!"
"To new friends and many more adventures to come!" they clinked their glasses together and drank the creamy, sweet, warming cocktail with a flourish.
Rochiel giggled as the booze reached her head and touched the letter Gregory had given her with a grin, "You know, Nalin...I'm going to have to check the train schedule as soon as I get back," she said, "I have a date in Reinsend!"