View Poll Results: Have you ever been to a convention?
Yes! I love them! 2 18.18%
Yes! I even went in Cosplay!! 3 27.27%
Sadly no, but I've always wanted to! 5 45.45%
No thanks! Not interested. 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 07-17-2015, 07:51 PM

It's Con season and I couldn't be more excitex! My problem? I've never been to a convention!! I've always wanted to go but they've never been at a reasonable distance for me to go. So I of course love vicariously through those that have and I draw out dream costumes that I want to eventually make for Cons! I also addictively watch Cosplay shows. WHO'S WITH ME?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 PM

they are amazing!
people are so creative

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 07-17-2015, 08:18 PM

I've been to one con; DragonCon. That was in 2006. I went as Lara Croft, and it was AMAZING.
I worked in the Artist Alley so that my fee would be cut, so I missed on some things, but it was fun!
I went to a dinner with Don S. Davis, and he was so sweet. I took a picture with him, and I still have it.
:3

Don S. Davis:

Celestrya
A Celestial Sprite🌙

Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM

I've never been either, but always wanted to. I enjoy watching cosplay shows too. It's amazing how some of them make their own costumes!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 07-17-2015, 09:18 PM

I love Cosplay. <3 I'm lucky that we have a few good cons in my city. :) I have a few Costumes. Plus some I should work on with October approaching fast.

I Have Two Star Trek ones A Cardassian Officer and TNG style Captain. When "What did the Fox say" was big I did a Costume like the girls in the video. I also have an award winning Riddler costume (I was more excited about the free advanced screening of Avengers than the tittle). Also I love doing the whole Zombie thing because it's hard to mess up the make-up for it. Also the prosthetic for it are easy to come by and re-useable. :)

I Also have a good Black Corset! Those things are great for ALL kinda of costumes. (Pirate, Witch, Vampire ect) I consider my black corset day in my line up my casual day because it isn't of any particular character but LARPy enough to look good Amongst the crowd. :)

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 07-17-2015, 09:25 PM

I need to find a jacket that will work for a Fourth Doctor cosplay. I have the hate and scarf.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Cool! teeth and curls!

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 07-18-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

they are amazing!
people are so creative
Agreed! I mean, it's one thing to do it online on a forum, but to do it in person is just amazing - I've seen people work with real leather, cast metal, everything! Super crazy what can go into these!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistachio_Moustache View Post
I've been to one con; DragonCon. That was in 2006. I went as Lara Croft, and it was AMAZING.
I worked in the Artist Alley so that my fee would be cut, so I missed on some things, but it was fun!
I went to a dinner with Don S. Davis, and he was so sweet. I took a picture with him, and I still have it.
:3

Don S. Davis:
Oh my goodness! That is so awesome!! Although you missed some things, I bet that dinner topped the whole thing lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestrya View Post
I've never been either, but always wanted to. I enjoy watching cosplay shows too. It's amazing how some of them make their own costumes!
Do you watch Heroes of Cosplay? It's my favorite! I also just found a Japanese one on Crunchyroll that I want to check out - not sure if it's good or not lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephila View Post
I love Cosplay. <3 I'm lucky that we have a few good cons in my city. :) I have a few Costumes. Plus some I should work on with October approaching fast.

I Have Two Star Trek ones A Cardassian Officer and TNG style Captain. When "What did the Fox say" was big I did a Costume like the girls in the video. I also have an award winning Riddler costume (I was more excited about the free advanced screening of Avengers than the tittle). Also I love doing the whole Zombie thing because it's hard to mess up the make-up for it. Also the prosthetic for it are easy to come by and re-useable. :)

I Also have a good Black Corset! Those things are great for ALL kinda of costumes. (Pirate, Witch, Vampire ect) I consider my black corset day in my line up my casual day because it isn't of any particular character but LARPy enough to look good Amongst the crowd. :)
Oh wow - those look amazing!! Does it take you long to put together the outfits? Or do you have them made in advance?

I agree on the black corset and the prosthetic - they really can be utilized over and over so they're not a wasted investment! When you can recycle pieces for new costumes it adds that much more to it because it's less expense and you already have a foundation :3

---------- Post added 07-17-2015 at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
I need to find a jacket that will work for a Fourth Doctor cosplay. I have the hate and scarf.
Which one is the 4th? (Not familiar with Doctor Who in depth)
Have you tried etsy or steampunk shops? They have a lot of old fashioned attire! :3

Celestrya
A Celestial Sprite🌙

Old 07-18-2015, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Corrin View Post
Do you watch Heroes of Cosplay? It's my favorite! I also just found a Japanese one on Crunchyroll that I want to check out - not sure if it's good or not lol
Yes! I think I watched the first season or two. I'm not sure if there were anymore after that. I even got my hubby hooked on it!I haven't been watching much tv lately.

Nice cosplays, Nephila!

Last edited by Celestrya; 07-18-2015 at 01:45 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 01:44 AM

one con i saw a Cloud that was so perfect
their Mom made their cosplays!

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 07-18-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestrya View Post
Yes! I think I watched the first season or two. I'm not sure if there were anymore after that. I even got my hubby hooked on it!I haven't been watching much tv lately.

Nice cosplays, Nephila!
I think there has only been 2 seasons - the 3rd season is still filming I imagine as they don't usually air it until after con season is over! I can't wait for the new season! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

one con i saw a Cloud that was so perfect
their Mom made their cosplays!
Oh I would have loved to have seen that - it's not an easy cosplay to pull off! I've seen some good ones though - I envy the talent people have with wigs!!

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 02:54 AM

haha I totally knew Neph would be posting all her cosplays.

I've never actually cosplayed or been to a con. Plenty of my friends are all gung-ho for it. Lol They all joke about me not being into it yet I'm totally die hard for Halloween time.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 AM

*whistles innocently* Yup. XD

@ Emma: It's a mix of found and made. I'm not skilled enough to make corsets. Some of the accessories are bought too. (Riddler mask and gloves)

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 AM

Haha my friends have been dying to get me to get dressed up and go to a con with them. I think my issue is I'm not into anything character wise to find someone to dress up as. Lol

One of my friends went as Ursula this past year at Pensacon. Haha He totally rocked it and pulled it off.

Queen_Andais
I move the stars for no one.

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 03:57 AM

In high school my friends went religiously to AnimExpo in Anaheim. They would prepare all year with costumes, one for each day they were there, saved up money, roomed together to cut down on costs, brought their own food and had a blast. I was never much into the Anime like they were. Think fanatical and then up it to Beatles mania level, throw in some Rolling Stones shenanigans and sprinkle Elvis fan girl fainting with excitement...that covers their devotion to the Anime.

I think next year my husband and I will hit up the Comic-Con out here in Phoenix. We were gone the weekend it was here this year. Dag nab it.

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 04:03 AM

:D Looking forward to hearing about your Comic-con next year Queen. <3 Do you know what you two will go as?

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 04:05 AM

Pretty sure us going as ourselves will be scary enough. Hadn't really thought about it. Maybe I can get Rodd to dress up as a Rainbow kid from Rainbow Brite...hmm. I will for sure take pictures and post them here so people can see them. Rodd is always down to dress up as whatever I ask him too.

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 04:09 AM

Haha well that totally works. :} Least he's on board. Halloween is always my favorite time and I always go ALL out. Between helping throwing Halloween parties and getting dressed up.

Like I think I've been more excited about figuring out what me and my son will go as this year. He'll be 3 months around Halloween. Lol I was thinking wench and pirate.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 04:34 AM

That would be cute as hell! Love it! Definitely have to post pictures of the two of you when you dress up.

Rodd and I went as fairies last year. He wore a black and red tutu, women's leggings, a woman's tank top and glitter on his face and arms. He won best dressed. Very proud of him for that one. Then again, he totally rocked it. Halloween and Christmas are my two very favorite holidays of the year. Well, the 4th does come in a close third.

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 04:38 AM

^^ Oh of course I totally will. I want to do an album of pictures where I take one every day for his first year. Then the second to fifth year I want to take one weekly and make into different albums. :P I'm one of those crazy first time moms xD

That is totally rad of him. :D Snagged you a good one. I'm not much of a fan of Christmas. For a multitude of reasons. But New Years is great and then there's St. Patricks day. :D

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 04:51 AM

For me, Christmas was all about decorating with dad and figuring out how we were going to do the house that year. New Year's would have been great, except the Navy fucked us one year and Rodd didn't get to propose on that day like he wanted to at Midnight. Damn Navy.

Not that fanatical, just something you want to do to capture the kiddo's growth and essence.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 07-18-2015, 04:53 AM

i've never been to a cosplay..or a book signing but of the two i'd perfer the book..i've never been into a movie that i actually wanted to dress up as 'shrugs'

edit: or game lol.

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Andais View Post
For me, Christmas was all about decorating with dad and figuring out how we were going to do the house that year. New Year's would have been great, except the Navy fucked us one year and Rodd didn't get to propose on that day like he wanted to at Midnight. Damn Navy.

Not that fanatical, just something you want to do to capture the kiddo's growth and essence.
Growing up Christmas use to be totally rad. But the past couple years have ruined that. Ever since my moms mom died on Christmas we don't do hardly anything. No decorating, no tree. We exchange gifts, maybe. But since I've been older I've been kinda eh towards it anyways because people (mostly) just use it as an excuse to shop. And all the holidays kinda have clashed into one. They start putting out Christmas things like around July. Um yeah no. And then of course most of my family (except my parents and brother) are highly religious and are all "jesus this" and "God would say such and such" about the fact that I'm gay, and about my personal religion. They say because I'm pagan I worship the devil and yeah...it's not a good time for anyone around my family.

Queen_Andais

Penpal

Old 07-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Wow! You need to come over to my family. We are SO not like that at all. Most of our gifts are home made, we don't shop to just shop and Christmas is always full of laughter and celebration for being with family. Petty bullshit is set aside, for that time and place. My dad was born in San Francisco and I was raised in CA. Very open to whatever a person's sexuality is, what makes you happy, makes you happy. Who am I to say anything about it.

Overly religious like that scares me.

Veno
Miss Mad Hatta

Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Andais View Post
Wow! You need to come over to my family. We are SO not like that at all. Most of our gifts are home made, we don't shop to just shop and Christmas is always full of laughter and celebration for being with family. Petty bullshit is set aside, for that time and place. My dad was born in San Francisco and I was raised in CA. Very open to whatever a person's sexuality is, what makes you happy, makes you happy. Who am I to say anything about it.

Overly religious like that scares me.
That's how my best friends family has been my whole life. And I know that not everyone is like that, but it seems like the majority of people just care about monetary valued items. Ya know?

We use to have amazing Christmas's until my moms mom died. Which used to seem weird to me since we hadn't spoken to her since I was a small child of 3-4 but I think my mom had a lot (and still does) of guilty pent up. Though from the stories I've heard my parents did the right thing by not allowing her around us. Apparently she was addicted to a ton of drugs and did whatever she could to get more.

My family other than my parents and brother are the "born and raised bible belt believers" I've caught hell from them since I came out that I was gay in my teens and then caught even more hell from them when I told them about my religion. That didn't fly to well. Neither of my parents are religious at all...or the weren't. They've both kinda been shifting in a way towards believing in God and everything, which is cool, it's not like they say I'm wrong for believing what I want to believe.