Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Kamaki Takeda

Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 AM

It was a lovely spring day. The chills of winter were gone, along with the heavy winter robes, and the summer heat had not yet fallen over the small island of Japan. There was no need for the thin, light-weight robes, lined with cotton, just yet. Now, the lovely ladies of the court could stretch their aching limbs and open the heavy wooden shutters. Little girls giggled as they scuttled down the cherrywood veranda. The little maids of the more, higher ranking women. Astranged daughters of the emperor, produced by courteseans. Daughters of samurai, warlords and the occasional farmer, all were out and about on this lovely, lovely day. The plum blossoms were gone with the chilly february wind, and now cherry blossoms took their place amongst the scenery.

[I think Takeda Shingen was in power around the Heian era...]

Branches hung low with a heavy load of blossoms. Hundreds of thousands ... no ... millions of flowers and petals everywhere! It was a perfect day to celebrate the coming of spring. The cherry blossom festival. Men and women would find love, children would frolic with friends and families would be reunited for this one special night. Even Takeda Shingen would be there. One of the history's most celebrated and loathed, samurai and leader. He would be going about to flaunt his eldest daughters. Due to the many wars, the most recent around their area of residence, the warrior class Lord had to postpone his daughter's debuts' into the world of adulthood and marrigable age. Even though his eldest was around twenty one, she was a breath-taking beauty with long, shiny black hair and honey brown eyes.

Her skin was as pale and prestine as the passing snow, and as soft as unglazed porcelian. Her voice was as soft and melodic as a nightingale. Though, her name was, unusual for a girl. Kamaki. This name was decided before her birth. Her father wanted his first child to be a boy, he was hoping and expecting one, when her dear mother went into labor, twenty-one years ago. But, alas. She was born as a girl-child. Thus recieving a very strong, and boyish name. But, this happened in almost every family. This is why, most japanese names now adays are, unisex. The young woman adorned elaborate silken robes. Layer apon layer of brilliantly colored silk, ebroidered with crests, crains and flowers hid the pale, delicate body beneath. The outer robe was just as breath taking as it's wearer. Herons took flight against a cream colored background, amonst red, shibori puffs of genji mist, and pink, orange, red, yellow and purple imperial flowers.

-------

[Whee~! I'll intorduce my male Oc in the next post.]

Last edited by Kamaki Takeda; 05-02-2008 at 10:04 PM..

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 AM

Sai admired her eldest sister from the sidelines. Kamaki's beauty was breathtaking against the blossoms. A pang of jealousy touched Sai, but she brushed it off, because she was proud to have such a beautiful sister.

But Sai knew that today was an important day; their dad was going to be introducing Kamaki as a women, ready for marriage and society. Sai sighed quietly to herself. She was going to miss her sister, and she knew the day wouldn't be too far away.

The two are sisters, so of course they share similar features, but there was obvious differences between the two. Sai was noticeably very small, are less kindly, short, for her age of 16. Her eyes held a stubborn glaze, and if one looks close enough, a hint of defiance. Sai dressed in the darker hues of crimson. Among crowds, Sai was easily overlooked, though her voice was sharp and projecting.

Right now, Sai took the advantage of being overlooked to enjoy the blossoms. A couple of pedals fell on her hair, and Sai plucked them out to hold them in her hands. She brought them to her eye level to admire each petal's beauty.

(how's this? I'll do my guy character in my next post too!)

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 PM

[Wonderful~!]

Kamaki held a deep fondness of her younger sister. Not only was it an instinctual maternal feeling, but, Sai looked so much like their late mother. "Are you enjoying the flowers, Sai-chan?" The young woman had a habit of lingering around her siblings. Maybe it was just out of a serrogate-motherly love. After all, Ai, their dear mother had passed after the birht of their brother.

Secretly, the idea of marriage frightened her. She knew that it was going to be a political marriage. Cold, loveless and lonesome, to some high ranking general or retainer of the court. Bearing children that she would never come to know, out of duty. Keeping a pretty appearence for social affairs. A trophy wife. But, it was her duty to her father, so, she pushed her fears aside. "I brought you a present." A soft smile gracing her sakura-pink lips.

Now, Yoshitsune Ren wasn't one for festivals and flower viewing. He dubbed it as a, 'womens' sport.' More or less, he was right. Women from nobility to commonwealth, to poor famer's wives and daughters were huddled around those flower laden trees. There were a sprinkle of men, but those few fellows were just looking for an easy wife. As a medicine seller, and doctor, he hadn't the time to look for a woman of his own.

Even though his female patients do take a liking to him from time to time. This young man was a mysterious sort. He had sun-kissed skin and long raven locks, tied back and tucked into a crimson cloth about his head. [Like a bandana. I don't know the exact term for it.] His eyes were light, like amber, which, was a great oddity amongst the dark eyed crowd. Some say that it was a blessing from, Amataratsu the goddess of the sun. He wore robes the color of the sea. Blue, teal, green and off-white. Upon his back, however was his truck of mysterious medicines, and remedies. With the occasional sweet candy for the children.

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 PM

Sai let the petals in her hands fall softly to the ground, blending in with the carpet of fallen pedals that everyone was walking on. She looked up from her hands at her sister's voice.

"You got me a present?" Sai asked in anticipation. At the same time, Sai was confused. 'Why did she get me something?'Today was Kamaki's day, and also because Sai felt ashamed that her sister had a gift for her, and Sai had nothing in return.

Sai knew her sister well enough to know that Kamaki wasn't looking forward to today either. Sai thought Kamaki had plenty to worry about today; meeting her father's friends, their sons, potential husbands, etc.
Sai's worries seemed to be for naught, luckily. It seemed Kamaki was calm and collected. The dependable sister in the family. Sai knew she would not have been able to hide her fears from her face as well.

"What is it?"

Shin followed his mother and aunts behind. He was dragged to go to the flower viewing festival with them, carrying food, fans, and drinks. His eyes took in the beautiful scene, and his mouth was agape, in awe. His aunts chuckled, and Shin's mother hit him over the head, telling him to act more maturely since he was with them.

But Shin couldn't hold in his surprise. This wasn't what he imagined the festival to be. It was worth coming to, and Shin silently was glad to have an excuse to come. His friends would laugh if they knew he came for the flowers, and not the young women.

Shin knew there would be many unmarried girls at the festival. Looking around, Shin saw a sea of beautiful robes. Everyone was dressed to impress. Shin's mother made Shin wear his best clothing, too, and Shin silently hoped his mother wasn't up to something. He had only come to carry their heavy items, not for marriage.

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 AM

The young woman smiled and nodded. "Of course. You're a lovely young lady now, so I think this is the appropriate time to give this to you." Kamaki had observed this, how her sister had transformed from a child, to a young woman. "Two things actually. One is from father, and the other is from myself." Their father had taken his eldest daughter to Edo to better aquaint her with high society, earlier that year.

There were so many trendy things in Edo. Like new forms of make-up, dance, robes and hairstyles. She pulled a medium sized, dark cherrywood box, almost out of no where! Okay, so, it was hidden in her robes. It was laqured to a brilliant, glossy shine, with graceful maple leaves, cranes and twisted pine trees etched on the conver, sides and even on the insides with gold-leaf. "This is my gift to you. Since you're all grown-up now," she teased, "I think it's time you can play around with make-up, scents and hair accessories." She wouldn't ever just indulge in herself, like a spoiled wench.

Ren took this, the presence of every fair maiden in the emmidiate area, as an opportunity. "Oh! Sir Herbalist! You cheated!" He was quite fond of playing games, and the young ladies of the court were all for. "No, it is just skill." The young medicine-man had been playing Go with a flock of ladies, and a few challenging men. Of course, he got someone to buy this exquisite peice of entertainment, along with a few herbal remedies.

Stomach ache, pains in the joints. He had a medicine for almost everything. Even a medicinal tea to ward off pregnancies. The courteseans, or heian era Geisha slash Oiran bought him all out of that. "My dears, do you believe in the myths, about demons?" Now, most of the ladies eyes, were on him. "We do. What do you have in that mysterious trunk of your's this time?"

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 AM

Sai's eyes went wide when she saw the gift. She had hoped that Kamaki would bring something back from Edo. Sai heard many stories of new toys and styles in Edo. Edo was the place to go, but their father hadn't taken Sai on that trip. It seems Kamaki had remembered her younger sister.

"Thank you," Sai looked up into Kamaki's eyes gratefully. Glancing back down on the box, Sai traced the glossy etched wood with her fingers. "It's beautiful!" Sai said in awe of the box's beauty. While she held the box open, a couple of petals fell inside. Sai smiled and closed the lid softly.

"I love it." Sai took hold of Kamaki's hands and squeezed them enthusiastically. She doubt any gift her father would give her would outshine her sister's.

Shin stood among the commoners at the festival. He could see many were gazing over towards the lords' and nobles' side of the crowd. They were easy to spot. Their clothes were made from richer silk, brighter colors, and more intricate designs. They wore accessories that were more lavish, more beautiful, and more sparkling than the commoners.

Shin had always heard of the beauty of the lord's daughters. But he was too far away to see anything. There were many heads in the way. Shin finished setting down his mother and aunts' food and packs, and decided to do some exploring.

Silently, he left them, and wandered further away from the large crowd, to a quieter area. He wanted to enjoy the blossoms and nature by himself. Shin found a shady spot beneath a large tree that was practically raining petals from the wind. He sat down on the ground, ignoring the fact that he was in his best clothes, and looked up into the tree's branches.

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 AM

"Oh, you don't have to thank me, Sai-chan." Kamaki gave her sister's hand a reassuring pat. "I wanted to bring a little bit of Edo back for you. Even though, I hear that father is going to tote you around this summer when he goes back." A little tid-bit of information.

"I am positive that you will look absolutely stunning." Now, for their father's gift. The young woman felt around the lining of her sleeves for a moment, then, in one of the collars of her robes. "Ah~" She pulled out a woven, silk cord in the most beautiful shade of gold. Tied at the end was a small, deep-green jade pendant in the shape of a comma. "Father said that this is supposed to keep you protected by the kami. It's called a magatama."

She dangled the little pendant in front of the girl. "It's really pretty, and it accents your eyes perfectly." She placed the glossy charm into the younger girls' hands. "Hmm... It seems that father put some thought into this one."

"Hello, honored princesses." Ah! The medicine seller again! Only this time, he was preying on the two high ranking daughter's of the Takeda lord! But, women who tended to stay cooped up in their rooms or in the garden at home, tended to like, foriegn objects. "May I interest you in some mystical items from far away lands?"

Kamaki was always pleased with somethin new, and mysterious, so, she was hook-line-and-sinker. "Oh, yes, yes!"

"I have medincinal cures for all ailments. "Headaches, joint pain, stomach pain, love potions, sleeping potions and others. I have toys from the continent, jewlery hair and skin products, as well as games from far off lands. Even magical wares to ward off, or summon demons." Oooh. He was getting cinical now...

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 AM

"You seem to be able to produce amazing things from the folds of your robes." Sai chuckled. When Kamaki placed the pendant into her hands, Sai squeezed the jade stone. It felt cool to her touch.

Sai was distracted, so she didn't hear the medicine seller's approach until he spoke. Kamaki loved anything new that was mystical and mysterious. She rolled eyes at her sister's reaction to the medicine seller's words but couldn't help being intrigued when he described his merchandise.

"Summoning demons, Sir? Should you be selling such items to young ladies and women like us?" Sai smiled. She didn't believe in such things as demons, and was pretty sure that the man was boasting about his wares. If she needed protecting from demons, Sai had just received such an item. She rubbed the jade pendant in her hand.

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-29-2008, 10:50 PM

[I kind of stole the motif of the medicine seller from the actual character on Ayakashi Mononoke. He was funny, and handsome. :3]

Indeed, Sai had gotton a charm already. But this man, well we do not know if he may be a demon himself! In those times, everyone feared the inevitable attacks from, 'demons.' there were a few that were skeptical, but it was how people explained things. Like children drowning. The mischievous water imp, the Kappa.

Or, how men died during blizzards. The Yuki-onna lured them into the storm with her beauty, then, cast them into a never ending, icy sleep. "My lady. Not all demons are frivilous and vicious. You never know when you might have to summon a supernatural being to save a loved one, or seek vengence upon an enemy. Or, stay away from unfit marragies."

This, he held sympathy for the young noble ladies. He had seen his siter crumble due to her marriage to a general. He was one of the rare fools who believed in a soul match. A poetic prophet, maybe? Or just a down right, lonesome fool?

"Oh, Sai-chan! Do not doubt so much." The older woman wagged her finger in her younger sister's direction. Like every woman out there, Kamaki dreamed of love and what would become of her future. Though, love wasn't always dimished by wronged marriages. Some women bared their lover's children instead of their husbands. Maybe it was a secretive way of taking revenge.

That is how most female demons came to be. Loathing, hatered and sorrow. But in the eyes of others, Kamaki did not seem like a woman who could hold a grudge. "Sir herbalist, I would enjoy to see what mystical items you carry."

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-31-2008, 04:41 AM

Sai sighed, and decided to be quiet and go along with it, for the sake of pleasing her sister. Kamaki seemed to enjoy the stories this man spins of demons and the such. Sai dismissed them as tales for children, young girls, and cooped up women. But then Sai realized that the latter was exactly what her sister and she were; cooped up.

Erasing the doubt from her face, Sai gave in. She was secretly amused by the man's ability to sell his stories and wares. The medicine seller had said the exact things to excite her sister. Kamaki was a romantic, no matter what her future was destined to be. Sai never thought of love much; she didn't like to think about things she knew she had no control over. Marriage was decided by their fathers; if true love existed, it would've been controlled by destiny.

"Yes, Sir, we would love to see what ware you have to sell." Sai glanced at her sister's enthusiastic face, and the medicine seller's words. 'Or, stay away from unfit marriages.'

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 AM

Of course, he had a wonderful array of breathtaking items. Scrolls, and crepe bound books. He had paper, silk and wooden talismens. All engraved or stitched with scriptures. He had rows of beautiful hairpins adorned with silken flowers, glossy tortiose shell and gold-leaf. Boxwood combs, dried herbs and odd little doo-dads.

More or less, Kamaki was pleased. She took it upon herself to start conversing with this, mysterious and handsome medicine seller. The young man answered all of her questions and, offered her fine deals.

[sorry. I was drawing up a blank. D:]

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 AM

Sai half listened to the conversation going around her as she picked up the odd items into her hands to examine them. She heard oohs and ahs from her sister next to her, and chuckled to herself.

Out of all the objects presented by the medicine seller, Sai was most interested in the books. She stroked one gingerly on its spine, and tried to read the title on the cover. Confused, Sai blinked. She found herself unable to read the characters.

"Sir," Sai pointed a small finger at the crepe bound book. She rubbed her eyes, in disbelief. Sai still couldn't read the characters. "May I ask about this book...?"

((I might not be on much this week - I'm on a trip since it's spring break currently, and I'm going out of the country!

We decided on a demon theme, right?))

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-21-2008, 08:03 PM

[Huzzah! R.P-age! Again :3 Yes, yes, demon themed. <3]

The elegant Ren turned to the younger girl, then to the object she was pointing at. "Ah, you must be bewildered as to why you cannot read the text, ne?" The man picked up the intricately bound book and flipped it over a few times. "This is truely an odd piece of text. It had even stumped me once with it's trickery."

He carefully opened the book, around the middle pages. "It's called the Onryo's testament. It's characters are believed to be demon language, but, if one was to wait until the eighth hour [1 A.M] on the night of the full moon, beside the rows of red text, if you open the book out into the moonlight, hidden characters will form translating the mysterious script." Something as foul as an Onryo, writing a book and leaving it where a human could possess it, it was baffling!

"Oh my." Kamaki placed the sleeve of her kimono to her lips. "I heard Ani-ue [Honorable older brother] mentioning something like that to one of his fellow retainers. Cho no Sato said that it was written by a woman whom was being betrayed by her husband, and over that time, she died and became an Onryo, finishing the log of her betrayel."

"Oho! So your Ani-ue knows of the story as well? He is correct. This was written by a woman whom was crushed by her scandelous husband who forced her out of her inherited home and married another. She threw herself into a river in Yotsuya, coming back as a spirit bend on revenge. It's said that she helps the unfortunate that have been jilted in life. Such a wonderful soul she is." The man seemed touched by something so, gruesome. He didn't add that this crazed soul caused the deaths and murders of many, including that of an infant, slain by its mother, but, delicate women need not to hear of that.

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 AM

"If she, the Onryo, indeed does help the unfortunate..." Sai hesitated, "...then this book, though it is in demon language, is still of goodness..." The younger sister looked longingly at the book, full of interest especially after the history of it was told so romantically by the medicine seller.

"Sir, have you tried reading the script?" Sai looked up from the book, though a bit unwillingly, because it was polite when asking the question to pay full attention to the answer. Also, she was wondering how the man knew so much about the book. "What is written in it? What would a betrayed woman write after her death?" Sai's eyes were full of questions for the merchant seller, but remembered her manners, and held her tongue.

Sai glanced at her sister, hoping she hadn't embarrassed the both of them

Kamaki Takeda
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 PM

"I've read it many a time. Quite a task, since you can only read it once a month." The young man sighed and shook his head. "It's not a good seller. For some odd reason it keeps being returned to me." Though all of it's owner's were men, and they all died shortly after but, that's something maybe I shouldn't add about it... "It's quite facinating, how well she could write. She must have been from a good upbringing to be so educated." Oh, how men dote on women in that day. Women weren't supposed to be highly educated, like men.

"Oh, Sai-chan... I have to sit down. I'm feeling a little dizzy. Please do not linger for too long and hold this man up from his business." Kamaki could not handle such scary stories. She was a simple young lady that was hidden away from such evil things. She had a weak constitution. The young woman, with a graceful and almost timid like gate, walked over to the largest, shady tree she could find. It was a bit too warm to be standing in the sun with such heavy robes on. And, it was bad for her powdery-pale skin.