Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 AM

I just heard about it at school, so as soon as I came home I googled it to see if it was true, and apparently there will be an Avatar movie! A trilogy, actually. And it gets better - it will be directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

That made my day. I can't wait! Avatar is my favorite TV show.

I hope M. Night Shyamalan does it justice. He's made some awesome films, but his recent movie, Lady in the Water, was kinda lame.

Who do you think will act as Aang, Katara, Toph, etc? I wonder, will they be Asian or White? I think that child actors usually kill movies so I hope M. Night Shyamalan can pull this one off.

EDIT: There's been a hell of a lot of bawwing in this thread about the actors being white. Let's discuss something other than that please?

Buddytv has an article about it for anybody interested in reading a bit more about it.

Last edited by Smellerbee; 02-27-2010 at 05:20 AM..

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM

M. Night Shamalyn? The master of thriller movies? (even though the past few movies he made were a bit lame.) It sounds interesting. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I hope they make it a bit more interesting than the show. I can't wait to see it happen.

Jenn_heart
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Jenn_heart

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 AM

O_o b-but I haven't even finished the series yet!
gah, i wanna watch itt...

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Jenn_heart: There's still time, he will be filming it after The Happening :)

Takabean
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM

really? They're making a live action movie. That should be interesting. I've seen a few episodes of Avatr but never really got into it. But I would want to see the movie to see what it would be like and how it would turn out. lol I havent even watched any episodes from this season yet :( The last episode I saw was the season finale from like a year ago. When Zuko betrayed his uncle or something, I don't remember :(

Takuto
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Takuto Send a message via MSN to Takuto

Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM

I guess the movie won't come out after a while then.
*Just googled about it.*
This definitely made my day. lol.

Breakfast
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 AM

That would be very weird !
Already imagining Ang blowing air ( whice we can't see ) :lol:

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM

M. Night Shyamalan directing an Avatar trilogy... hm... That certainly will be interesting... >.>;

Amurita
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Oooh, this sounds very interesting. I really like the show, but i haven't caught up with it yet.

I really wonder how they're going to pull this off, especially the bending. I just really hope that this turns out well.

Asahi Kumoru
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Asahi Kumoru Send a message via MSN to Asahi Kumoru

Old 02-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Oh yeah, I heard rumors about it a month or two ago, I think. It'll definitely be interesting =O I'm just hoping they won't go too over-the-top with the special effects; seems like sometimes movies fall victim to being more about the special effects than the story itself. And I know that movies are supposed to be entertaining above all else, but I really hope that the characters will be just as awesome as the bending martial arts and special effects.

V!rtual Insanity
*^_^*

Old 02-05-2008, 03:35 AM

It's so weird that he's directing it. You'd think it would be more aimed at kids, since the show is on Nick. Anyway, I've always sort of liked Avatar, so I'll deffinitely go see this at least once. I hope they get good actors too. And about them being white or asian, I don't think they'll all just be one or the other. Sokka and Katara are tanner than most of the other characters. And I don't know who I want to play who. It would be cool if Paul Dano or Justin Chatwin were in it, but I'm not sure who they would be. Maybe Justin could play Jet, if he got a tan. xD

MelonFairy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 AM

Omg, this is even better than the DB one XD I wanna see this because my brother and I like to pretend to battle each other with our bending skills~ Usually we're wind/water/ or fire because its easier to make sound effects for~

Haha I wanna rent it just so I can act weird at home while watching it~

I hope we get the cast list soon~ and I hope the people fit the roles ._. dur~

The PyroKittie
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to The PyroKittie Send a message via Yahoo to The PyroKittie

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Oh no...I thought this was a joke and then I read up on it more. How could they do this to such a great show. Maybe if it was directed by someone that has talent and hasn't screwed up his last few movies, then they might be worth while to watch. I can't believe they gave Night the rights to making three Avatar movies. Lady in the Water was horrible and made Night 'The Man That Risked Everything On A Fairy Tale' and The Village was so boring and had a bad story line in my opinion. Maybe if they had advertised The Village as what it really was, then I wouldn't of had a problem with it. But I want my money back for seeing that thing.

Avatar is a wonderful show and deserves to be made Live Action like Dragon Ball is. But at least Dragon Ball got a director that is worth a crap (James Wong director of The One).

I will not be seeing these movies in theater. At best I might rent them or borrow them from someone that bought them and wasted their money. Night has only made two decent films. The Sixth Sense and whatever that other one was, can't remember the name. Something to do with Unbreakable or something.

Avatar deserves a better director.

***Sorry if this offends and Night fans.***

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 AM

I think it could be good. He's never done any movies like this before.

I think he'll do a great job with Zuko. And Avatar has its suspense moments like any other movie.

I, too, hope he doesn't mess it up like Lady in the Water. I wonder where he'll put himself in the Avatar world...

Shandriz
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 PM

I liked Lady in the Water. ^^ At least it didn't lure you in under false pretenses like The Village did.

I think he could do a decent job of it. Afterall, it's not like any of his 'adult' movies were really scary or anything. They were like teen-thriller more than actual thriller. Might keep a kid up at night, but that's about the best you could hope for. And he really does have an interesting style that might really suit Avatar. ^^

Thunder
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Hmm...I can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. xD I actually really like Avatar, though I've missed practically all of the new episodes. ._.; As most movies based on something else, it's easy to stray from the original story line. Considering practically all of the main characters will be young, that is enough to turn me off of the movie by itself. Movies based on teens/kids normally just don't appeal to me. Not to mention that all the voices will be different, which is a pet peeve of mine.

I'll still check it out though, probably when it comes out on DVD. I guess I've got a long wait, huh? xD I agree with a few of the above posters, can't wait to see how the bending turns out.

Striped Chocolate
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 AM

Are you serious?! I can't wait to watch it! I mean I love the series, but I haven't really watched all of the episodes. I mean I missed a whole lot. But I watched the new ones on Youtube, some how.

Hmm.. M.Night Shamalyn, I don't think I've heard of him or maybe I just don't watched movies alot. I guess by the way you guys potray him, then I guess he'll make the movie pretty exciting. I can't wait to see what the characters will look like in real life.

Sarah
(-.-)zzZ

Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 AM

Wow, this is really surprising, but I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I honestly can't hazard a guess as to how good it will be, but if I like it, then that's good, and if it stinks, I can just pretend it doesn't exist. It's not going to affect the series.

Cable Induced Coma
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Cable Induced Coma Send a message via Yahoo to Cable Induced Coma

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 AM

Didn't they cancel the series on tv? I'm not sure.
Though if it is a M. Night movie, it should be a good one. I happened to like Lady in the Water.

Aurora
ʘ‿ʘ
Banned

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 AM

Really, awesome!! :D
I love that show!

Sethirius
*^_^*

Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Hmm, you know I'm not sure I how I feel about this. Well, needless to say I'll be watching it anyways. I love Avatar. xD

Furious
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-12-2008, 08:58 AM

I have mixed feelings about this, honestly. I absolutely love the show and am obsessed with it. On one hand, the movie could be completely awesome, on the other, and could completely ruin the avatar fandom and turn away many potential new fans to the serious.

If I had the choice between a live action film, and a theatrical animated movie, I'd go for the theater animated one :/

Smellerbee
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cable Induced Coma
Didn't they cancel the series on tv? I'm not sure.
Though if it is a M. Night movie, it should be a good one. I happened to like Lady in the Water.
No, they're still releasing episodes slowly.

Luumi
*^_^*

Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 AM

I wish that I could show you the face I made when I read the first post. I mean, I love Avatar. It's a great show with awesome animation, but seriously! A live action movie?! If it wasn't being directed be M. Night Shamalyn then I would write it off as a total failure, but it may actually be fairly decent.
In fact, now that I think about it, I can't wait. I've always loved the idea of benders, and am looking forward to seeing realistic bending instead of animated. Wow. I just completely changed my own mind about this movie (or trilogy, whatever) after only writing two short paragraphs.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 AM

Keep in mind that Shamalyn doesn't seem to be WRITING the movie. He's just be directing it. And if you can say anything about him, it's that he's good at directing. Regardless of how bad the stories in his more recent movies are, the movies themselves were still well-made.

I hope they don't ruin it with cheesy special effects... and the choice of who plays the kids is crucial. I REALLY want Sokka and Katara to look Inuit-ish. Anyway, I hope this doesn't ruin everyone's idea of what Avatar is.

Quite frankly, an animated theatrical release would be much better.