maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM

Looking over at him thoughtfully, Adria considered her thoughts for a moment. "Well, there is always an exception to every rule. I most likely won't turn it down. However, I will if it is something that is so completely unethical or out of my league that another should do it instead. Such times have existed..." and she left it at that. Humanity could not always be trusted to be logical. That was why there was conflict in the first place. At least world peace reigned. Pity peace within countries didn't. Crime had been on the rise again in recent years.

One of those there stepped forward and began fiddling with the holographics display in front of them. Probably having it set up where he wanted it before the meeting started.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 PM

Johan tilted his head as he looked between Adria and Mobius. It never even crossed his mind to say no to being on this team. He felt overjoyed and special to have even been considered. He didn't have a lot of other options floating around for him despite his intelligence. "I wouldn't refuse it," he said. "I don't even care what it is. Don't you guys feel really entitled that we're recruited in the first place? That in itself makes it an offer that I can't refuse." His voice was surprisingly serious, though that may have been because he spoke quietly. His voice wasn't totally devoid of it's usual bubbliness.

He felt really comfortable sitting with these other two people despite their differences. He really hoped they all agreed and stuck with whatever this was. Johan was so sure he could become good friends with these people.

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Mobius hummed, a low noise, and settled his ankle back on his knee. His fingers knit together and settled right back into his lap. He let his eyes drift back to the screen, leaning a little towards them to keep the conversation private.

"I don't know if I feel entitled, I understand why I was chosen. But considering the size of our team, I can't help but wonder what, exactly, we'll be working with. I agree that I wont be turning it down, I enjoy excitement. But in terms of content, I understand your concern." He glanced at Adria briefly before looking back at the screen. "I'm curious what we'll be doing with such a small group, but I suppose a smaller team would be harder to notice."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 PM

"I wonder if the job is risky..." Johan added with a long sigh born more from wistfulness than distress. "That would be the best I think. I love the excitement too and if it's risky and secret, they'll pay us well." He let out a hum of appreciation at that thought. He cared about money more than he'd like to admit, but he knew what it was like not to have much. He hoped this wouldn't be morally ambiguous. That's the only way he would turn this down and he'd hate to have to do that.

The person fiddling with the holographics display finally turned it on and images sprung up from out of it as the people at the front of the room stepped back to get out of the way. "I guess it's starting," Johan muttered.

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 AM

"Pay is a good thing," Mobius agreed and settled back in the chair as the device in the room's center lit up. Some noise and light flashes before an illustration of a logo appeared. Some sort of laurels, with olive branches, made a 'W' that hovered in space.

Welcome to War Machine XI. This simulation is a peace-keeping simulation designed to reduce human casualties and raise the quality of life for all parties involved. It enables parties with conflict to engage in a fair, unbiased, equal-opportunity environment of conflict, the winner of whom receives the predetermined prize. With War Machine XI, we have been able to eliminate the need for terrestrial warfare.

Mobius winced and had to look down at his lap, spots sparkling in front of his eyes. He removed his glasses and rubbed each eye with the pad of his thumb to try and relax them. He hated bright light, and the initial flashes had nearly blinded him. After his vision re-adjusted, he pressed his glasses back onto his face and squinted up at the hovering monogram.

"LED's," he mumbled, crossed his arms over his chest. "Always with the light shows."

maidenroseheart

Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 PM

Noticing his reaction, Adria bit her lip. Mobius wouldn't make a good gamer. Perhaps LCD was easier on his eyes than LED. If bright lights were going to be a problem, then she would have to step forward to cover for him. Hopefully, they would do the same for her. Turning her attention back to the presentation, she continued to watch.

Another voice took over where the introduction voice had left off. "You three have been chosen to train together within this program. To learn how to move, analyze, and fight within the parameters of the program while adding your own style to the mix. Learning to become a team that utilizes their strengths and overcomes their weaknesses. You will have opportunities to spar in battle mode with a virtual judge watching the proceedings in designated zones. You will also have opportunities to spar against computer opponents. As you learn these skills within the program, you must remember to build up your body and mind outside of the program too. It will be a complete lifestyle that requires time and commitment.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 PM

Johan stared wide eyed at the screen the second it flashed on. Leaning forward in his seat with awe written clearly on his face, he must have looked like a little kid. He had so much of his attention on the display that for a minute, he didn't notice his teammates beside him. This sounded like a game, but he was smart enough to know whatever they were getting involved in was much more than a game. The significance of this war machine program wasn't that clear right now though. Why they needed such a team as this to train in it seemed...shady perhaps. Or at least Johan thought it was unlikely that something big wasn't at play somewhere.

"The choice to download into this program is yours, but know that you will be compensated well for your efforts. This job will involve normal working hours, generous pay, as well as other benifts that will be explained in full if you will to proceed. More information will be given when it becomes available in a similar manner as this." The screen finally dimmed with those last words and the severe woman from before stepped forward.

"You may return to the waiting room in order to discuss among each other your decision. I will return for your answers in ten minutes."

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 PM

As soon as the lights dimmed, Mobius removed his glasses to rub vigorously at his eyes. Black spots danced in his vision even after he tucked his glasses back onto his face. As the severe-statured woman stepped forward, he sat up a little straight. Then stood, very nearly desperate to leave the room.

A manner such as this? He'd have to bring sunglasses.

He sighed through his nose and looked down at the other two of his team, hands tucking deftly into his coat pockets. Whatever this was, this War Machine, if it eliminated the need for terrestrial war, he didn't see a problem with the team. Perhaps it was an optimistic streak, or a natural naivety, but the idea that the team would be there to sabotage never crossed his mind.

He waited for the severe woman to go back to her group before addressing Adria and Johan. "So...what do you think?" He motioned towards the hallway, hoping to talk while they walked. Ten minutes wasn't long to make a decision like this.

maidenroseheart

Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM

Falling in step with Mobius, Adria shrugged. It looked like an amazing challenge. As a gamer, it was definitely looking like the ultimate gaming experience. However, judging from her two team mates and that they were part of her team, a part of her knew that it might be anything but fun. What was the potential risk to self? What training was this leading to? It was government sponsored with a program that appeared to be universally sanctioned. So it had to be clean.

Stepping out into the hallway, she was able to breathe easier. "I like it. As we learn more, I'm sure my answer will have more depths to it. But on the surface, I like it." The hallway was so relaxed compared to that room. She almost felt giddy, but didn't want to come across like Johan in that sense.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 AM

Johan hurried after the others and stuck himself between them as he inserted himself in the conversation. "I don't hesitate at all. Wow, I don't need ten minutes, but we can talk. I like talking." He didn't say he had small reservations because he didn't deem them important. His suspicions were something he'd keep to himself. Instead, he smiled and nodded his head as he walked.

He got to the door first and flitted into the small room. Flopping onto his stomach in a chair, he lay with his legs and arms hanging over the armrests. "We'll make a good team right? We should do this." He looked to the other two, expecting them to agree considering they'd so much as said that already.

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-22-2014, 04:03 AM

Mobius side-stepped to give Johan some space, giving him a rather scathing side-eye. It took all of his will to not brush off his arm where they'd brushed. But he sighed, despite himself, and conceded his enthusiasm was a nice...change, to the severity of the other room.

Once in the waiting room, he stepped over Johan's flopped limbs to settle in his own seat, delicately stripping himself of his coat. "I knew it was a war machine, but I thought it was specifically for our army, not international use. That's an interesting thing that's been conveniently left out of my research." It made sense, though, that public knowledge would be limited. However, he did know quite a bit about the program. And knowing that added a little better insight, made it more...coherent. "I do know there's somewhat of a subculture inside. Whatever we'll be doing, I'm sure our training will include how to blend in within the program's regular users. As for whether or not I'll be doing it, that's a no brainer." He settled back in his chair, coat draped over his legs. "Of course I will. I've studied it from the outside...I can't wait to see what it's like from the inside. Adria?" He looked over at her, thoughtful.

maidenroseheart

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 PM

Nodding at his inmput, Adria stood there facing them silently. Thinking. Time ticking by second by second to her, but for this she really did want to think it through as thoroughly as she could. They were going to be training. They were going to be a team. Johan was sure they would make a good team at that. If it was international use, then what bothered her was the possibility that they were going to be altering events or sabotaging other nations. "Honestly, I am unsure. To be placing us as a special team inside the program... a program evidently for international use... that is the reason for the world peace we have today... I'm uncomfortable with the thought that we might be sent in as spies and saboteurs to cause a potential destabilizing of that program. In summary, I'm worried that should we be sent in to train for what I suspect we are to be trained for, that we might literally end world peace."

Looking up and making eye contact with her team, she suggested, "I'm in if we are not going to do anything illegal in the sense of hurting other countries that we currently have good standing with. I'm out if we are going to be harming others or hacking other countries. I will not be responsible for potentially killing a child somewhere." She wanted to cringe and bite her lip, but stood tall with her chin held high instead.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Johan paused to give Adria's words some serious thought. He shifted in the chair so he was sitting properly without an armrest jabbing into his hip. He hated to think that his government would do something shady. He had a certain amount of patriotism. He liked to trust people, even big organizations like governments. "I don't think it's anything like that," he said with a small pout. "They picked three random civilians for the team. If we were going to do something shady, I think they'd pick different people they could control better like the military." Perfectly rational reasoning.

He clapped his hands suddenly, grinning. "Besides, we'll never know what it's all about if we don't say yes now! Come on, aren't you dying to know? We have to explore this. You can always back out later, ya know, if worse comes to worst." He pinned Adria with his best puppy dog stare. He didn't know if the team would get scrubbed if one didn't agree or if another member would get picked, but he very much wanted Adria to stick around. He liked her and her strength that didn't seemed to be paired with a stuffy personality.

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 AM

Adria had a good point, and it gave Mobius some pause. Again, the naivety, or perhaps a hidden optimism had hidden that particular possibility from him. He rubbed the sleeve of his coat between thin fingers, idly in his thoughts.

The rationale of Johan, however, threw him for a curve that had him eyeing the young man. Perhaps he should be more leery of this young man. No one was naturally that happy...perhaps he was a mole.

Now, Mobius you're just being paranoid.

Regardless, he sighed through his nose and prepared himself for defeat. "I actually agree with Johan," he muttered, crossing his ankles beneath his chair. It made perfect sense, and he explained as much. "If they wanted spies for international espionage, I imagine they'd have a team already prepared and infiltrating. Not a hacker, a researcher and..." He made a vague motion at her. It wasn't meant to be derogatory. But he had no idea what, exactly, she did. "At least in that sense, I believe we're alright. About the safety of children, I can't promise anything."

maidenroseheart

Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM

She started to pace slowly, thinking with her hands clasped behind her back. They seemed to have good ideas. But she was a bit worried. It didn't take much to take an ignorant person, have them get in too deep, and then blackmail them from there. However, she had her own skills. Adria was sure she could handle whatever came their way. And no one would dare blackmail her. She knew, at least in the way electronics worked, how to get even. You didn't become a gamer without learning backdoors and code. And a really good imagination.

Turning, she smiled an almost wicked smile that lit up her eyes. "I'm game. Let's see what this is about." Silently she added, Hell hath no fury... and stepped up to both of them. Reaching out and taking the ever excitable Johan's hand to somewhat pull him out of his chair and then giving Mobius a stately bow towards the door, she felt a trickle more of excitement about this than she had earlier. An afterthought, she added, "And by the way, gentlemen, I'm a gamer."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-26-2014, 01:33 AM

Excitement spilled out of Johan when Mobius agreed with him, not that he had been keeping his energy much under wraps in the first place. He didn't capture Johan's attention for long. "I'm really glad you agree, Adria" he said, barely resisting the urge to glomp her. He kept the warnings his friends often threw his way in mind though. Don't randomly hug people the first day you meet them. "You're a gamer? That's really cool! Do you want to play with me some time? I prefer the innards of the games more, but you don't get into hacking without loving games," he said as he ran a hand through his hair and messed it more than it naturally was. He glanced over at the door with a sort of hesitant step as if he couldn't decide if he wanted to walk that direction or not.

"Should we tell the scary lady that we made the decision now? Or we could just sit around and talk until the ten minutes are up. I think it's only been five...We should get to know each other better. Though we could do that either way. What to do...?"

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-26-2014, 03:19 AM

Mobius watched her thoughtfully, her bow making him lift a brow. But, he stood when she motioned. The game comment somewhat threw him off, he had to admit, but Johan started talking before he could ask.

At least he knew what her comment meant, and he let Johan babble about games before he eased around them towards the door. Mobius himself was not much of a gamer, he had never been very good. Tetris, he could play. Even pacman. But other than that he preferred a variety of other self-entertaining ideas than video games.

"I don't believe they'll be irate if we return early. They are watching us," he motioned at the corners of the room, the ceiling cameras. "The sooner we get started, the sooner all of our answers can be answered."

maidenroseheart

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM

Pulling Johan after her and following Mobius' more stately wake, Adria let go of Johan's hand and resumed a more self-control posture. The door was open, held so by the person who had led them there in the first place. It was as Mobius had pointed out, they were expected. She nodded thanks to the person holding open the door and stepped on inside. She preferred this room to the hall and waiting area. It was warmer, probably from all the electronics. Not stuffy or in an uncomfortable way, just a temperature she preferred if she was to be sitting away.

Taking her seat, she smoothly settled in and raised her hand. "Before we go further, I have to ask. Is this deal you wanting us to take part in illegal or in any fashion going to harm innocent people?"

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 AM

Johan was happy to be pulled along and kept pace with the others. He may have preferred sitting around and chatting in the comfy chairs, but he was happy with any decision that others made. He sit into a seat next to Adria, smiling. He didn't think they would get an unsavory answer, but he was glad Adria asked.

"Of course this is not some kind of illegal operation. As was said, the War Machine is about preserving peace, not destroying it. But of course, getting to know the program from inside is the only way to prove that to you," the woman said.

Clever. Johan had to give her props for that.

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 03-29-2014, 05:55 AM

"You say that like you already know our answers," Mobius settled on Aria's other side, eyeing the woman warily. It wasn't that he was bothered, no. Just that he preferred having a choice that was actually a choice, not an expectation. Regardless, he wouldn't be trading this opportunity for any other.

"Regardless, you likely already know our answers are positive. When will we be begging our training?"

"As soon as possible," the woman explained. "It would be best for the team to learn about one another within the parameters of the program, it does vary very much from the real world."

"As soon as possible being...today?" Mobius tilted his head. "Or do you need to prepare the program?"

"Do you imagine we turn off an international peace machine?"

Mobius gave her a sharp look. He didn't often get patronized, and he didn't like it at all. But this woman was either smug, or just straight up irritating. Either way, it annoyed him. But he kept his mouth firmly shut; this seemed a rhetorical question.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 AM

Finding her last comment amusing and right in line with her own sense of humor, Adria grinned. There was no helping it. Perhaps she should set aside her hesitations and give this a go.

"If there are no further comments," the lady paused before continuing, "then we will always start as we have today. With a meeting here. Then you will be taken to the medical bay where you can be monitored closely while in the program. A special system has been set up there for the purpose of assisting you in this. Afterwards, you will return here to debrief and discuss as needed. Please follow me." She turned and strolled for the door.

Someone opened it and held it open for them. Adria stood and strode confidently after her, a slight twist of her head allowing her to check on her companions.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 AM

No more further comments? It wasn't that Johan didn't have any, but that he didn't get a chance to utter them before the lady started to lead them elsewhere again. He just planned on asking about the whole 'medical bay' thingiemajig though. Seeing was better than hearing. It was just, he couldn't help but be curious at what lay beyond.

Johan hopped up and hurried after Adria, being silent for a second more. He realized he did have some questions that were still worth asking. "And once we're in the program, how long will be in there? Do we get a short day for starters before we get used to it?" He wouldn't mind either way. Tilting his head, he thought of more interesting questions. "Is time the same in the program? Also, why do we need to debrief at the end? Don't you have some kind of nifty tech that lets you view it all in real time?"

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM

"Your work day will be of the average eight hour shift," The woman let them settle themselves, hands tight in front of her. "We'll put you through a trial run to insure that your mind works well with the program. As for the debriefing it's more for your personal benefit."

"Interesting," Mobius settled down beside Adria, one ankle settling on his knee. He looked around the new room, thoughtful, before relaxing and folding his hands into his laps. "Will I be able to use the data for my research?"

"Not if you intend to publish it."

He wasn't too fond of her sarcasm. Or the smug look.

maidenroseheart

Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM

The lady motioned towards one of the devices in the medical bay. It resembled a glass-lidded coffin to Adria. "Let's have a test run shall we. I need a volunteer."

Adria stood up, "I'll go first. What do you want me to do?"

The lady smiled, "Fall asleep." Adria raised an eyebrow, pulled back her shoulders, and lifted her chin. The lady continued, "Just climb on in here, lay down, hold very still, and try to relax as if you were going to sleep."

Adria walked over to it as the woman stepped back and let a medical assistant open up the glass lid. It turned out not to be glass at all. It appeared to be glass, but was in fact small electrodes connected by holographically somehow. Or so it appeared. Pausing for a moment as she considered how to most properly climb in, Adria turned and sat on the side. Then she put one hand on the opposite side and one hand beside her and lifted her bodyweight up and in. Settling in gently, she laid down.

The medical assistant pulled the clear top back over. The woman repeated, "Lie still. Close your eyes. Relax."

Adria glared up at her, knowing that Johan and Mobius wouldn't be able to see that. Then again lifted her chin showing her stubborn streak. Eyes closing slowly, she mentally began relaxing her muscles. And suddenly she wasn't there anymore.

She was momentarily in blackness, floating, a sound that was a sort of beeping grew louder until she could make out the words. "Download processing. Download complete. Please choose a username.

Adria looked around but saw no one. She suggested, "Orici."

After a moment of silence, the beeping voice returned, "Username Orici. If this is correct, say correct. If this is incorrect, say fix."

"Correct"

"Please design your character. " A colorful display appeared in front of her. She grimaced at how real the different pieces of hair, eyes, lips, and so much more appeared. It was like someone had chopped up a multitude of humans and put them there. Slowly it seemed, she worked through until she had created someone who looked eerily like her. Right down to the black leather suit and black leather trenchcoat.

"Correct" she suggested, hoping that was a cue to move on.

"Please choose a weapon," the beeping voice requested.

"What!?"

"Please choose a weapon," ... "Do you need clarification?"

"Yes."

"Okay, what is your question."

Adria looked around at the darkness. To continue, she would need to pick out something. She didn't know the purpose nor the goals. How could she make an informed choice. "What are the parameters of the weapons?"

"You need at least one offensive instrument and one defensive instrument. You can have a third of your choice. They are to serve you in the program's battles which are monitored. They make up your character profile and help identify you to others." That told her nothing.

Sighing, she looked at the endless list. If this was a game, what would she do? Picking out a necklace that offered a sort of barrier for protection, a crossbow for attacking, and a bracer with a hidden blade that she could extend on will, Adria sighed, "Complete."

The area grew slightly lighter and then she was in. Looking down at her hands, she realized that she resembled the Adria she created. The clothes were similiar but not what she had been wearing. The necklace was on, the bracer was on. The crossbow was attached to her back. Looking around a little frantically, she wondered what happens next and what she was supposed to do.

Last edited by maidenroseheart; 04-02-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Mobius
One Size Fits All

Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 AM

Once Adria was settled and downloaded, Mobius glanced up at the woman. She was waiting quietly for him, motioned to the side for him to follow Aria’s lead. Mobius glanced sideways at Johan before standing and shedding his coat, then made his way over to the little pod of sorts. He stared down at it for a while before sitting slowly, then laying down. "Better now than never, I guess."

It took a bit of time, but he managed to relax himself as well. And with a deep, slow sigh…he was under.

Download Processing. Download Complete. Please choose a username.

"Antiquity." He waited, trying desperately not to be non-existant, as he was currently.

"Username Antiquity. If this is correct, say 'correct'. If this is incorrect, say 'fix'."

"Correct."

Please design your avatar.

The sheer volume of information in the form of design startled him, and he was quiet for a while. Then he began to sift, slowly, poking through the options. He chose something plain; black slacks. A black waist-coat, with a white silk shirt. Comfortable looking leather loafers. A red bowtie for effect. He could never claim to be a warrior, but he liked the classic appeal. He went for blond, and hazel-eyed, not unlike himself. Though his hair he chose to go a little long, tied back.

"I'm done?"

Please choose a weapon.

Again, the volume of choices startled him. But after much thought, he went with a classic pistol-like phaser design, a long-range riffle-like phaser with rapid-fire capability, a braclet that allowed a type of energy-like barrier shield, not unlike Adria's necklace.

"Done."

He'd be blinded, and would try to shield his eyes. Which resulted in him standing not far from Adria. The riffle was strapped to his back, his phaser-pistol strapped to a holster on his hip. The bracelet was hidden beneath his shirt cuff.