Andraus
Most shy away from conflict. I e...

Old 10-03-2015, 11:57 PM

Filius kept his eyes closed, and his mouth shut as he waited for them to leave. Filius would then reach into his bag, and pull out a steel-lined case. "I have a very high tolerance for ignorance, but enough is enough.....They think they're going to win without a doubt......I won't just beat that damned bastard.....I will break him. "He said, in a voice so menacing, it didn't sound his own.

Unclasping the case, he pulled out and slipped on two Unusual Gaunlets. They hummed with an unfamiliar magic, and when Filius placed them on, it only grew. "I searched for a weapon, that could compliment my physical strength with my magical strength. This is the result of my research. I call them 'The Focus Gauntlets'. Crystals are embedded in them to focus and channel my magic, allowing me to use my own strength, coupled with the power of my magic. "He said, looking at them. "These are my prototypes. They took two years to build, and I doubt there are any like them in the world. "He said.

Holding out his arm, and closing his eyes, Filius's right arm would soon begin to glow with the properties of fire, while his left would spark with that of lightning. It was obvious that Filius spent alot of time, and effort, perfecting these gauntlets. Placing the case back into his bag, he held them up for Sophie to see. "As I said to you earlier, Sophie...."He said, with a devilish grin. "I only need one spell."

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 PM

Sophie grinned, "Don't go easy on him, Filius!" She quickly finished the last of her food, thankfully too, because when Filius pulled out the Unusual Gauntlets from his bag it only made Sophie's jaw drop in awe. "Two years, Filius? Even though they are prototypes, I bet that they can still do very serious damage."

Sophie took a drink of water, her eyes still focused on those gauntlets. Where did Filius find the time to make them, she wondered. Sophie also wondered how Filius was able to create such an invention. His talents were definitely ahead of their time. It surprised Sophie a little when his magic began to shine through and his arms both showed the evidence of his hard work...

"One spell..." Sophie whispered. As much as she wondered what the one spell would be, she decided against asking Filius to share with her the secret. It would be better if she were surprised. "The little jackass won't know what hit him." Sophie smiled again, still very confident in Filius' abilities. Still, she grew anxious with all of the waiting around. Sophie was a pretty peaceful, loving person, but she didn't like the way the Weapons Masters treated her and she couldn't wait to see them get a taste of their own medicine.

Andraus

Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 PM

The 5th and a half bell would ring, as Filius finished his food. A smile would appear on his face. "It is time......Let us see what the weapon masters are capable of. "He said, standing, and walking away, holding Sophie's hand. She could feel every muscle in him was quivering. He was excited to fight.

The Arena was large in sheer size, but to allow everyone to get the full effect, they gave viewing crystals that switched between the combatants. Strangely though, there were only a few Magic-casters present at the time, but a heap load of Weapon-Masters. Filius looked around, and spoke quietly to Ava. "This is, almost certainly, a trap. Tip my instructor that I am elsewhere, then have a group of weapon masters 'teach me a lesson'. "he said to her, obviously cautious. "Oh they are going to be in for a big surprise. "

Filius would proceed to remove his shirt, showing off scars from his childhood training (as well as the results of said training) and slipped on his leather armor. Bracers, Chest-piece, leggings, etc. The only thing he lacked was a helmet. Slipping on his gauntlets, he would walk over to where he would meet the instructor of the Weapon-Masters. "Good, lets get this show on the road. "He said to the teacher.

(would you kindly play as the Weapon-Master instructor again?)

Kory

Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 AM

(Sure! But I'm not that good at writing out fight scenes, so I will probably suck at writing for the Weapons Master, if you want you cna write out the whole fight scene since I'll probably just butcher it.... but I will gladly write for the Weapons Master instructor)

The Weapons Master instructor simply snorted at Filius, with his head tilted high into the air as he looked down the bridge of his nose at Filius and said, "The woman's honor rests on your shoulders, young Magic Caster. You're about to see what years of training can do... Or undo." And with that, The Weapon Masters' instructor took a step back to allow the brash, Weapon Master that was teasing Sophie earlier to come into view.

He wore the same clothes he had on previously, but he was equipped with a long, Chinese blade, which he liked to call "Nightmare". It was a little rusty from years of training, but despite the rust it was still rather sharp. The boy spat and then turned to Sophie and winked, making Sophie, who was standing a safe distance away, cringe.

"Alright, skirt wearer... Let's dance."

Sophie watched from a distance, her eyes glued to Filius and she chewed on her bottom lip watching the two of them in the arena. She wanted very much to go, grab her own sword and join in the fight with Filius, but she knew better. "You can take him, Filius!" She shouted. She had a heart full of faith that Filius would come out victorious.

Andraus

Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 PM

(Sorry this took so long! I had the whole fight typed up, and then my internet disconnected and I lost it all! I raged alot, and well....here. There were more details, but I kinda want to get this scene over with.)

The weapon-master would strike at Filius, attempting a crushing blow with his great-sword. Filius would lift up his gauntlets, and everyone could see the sparks as the blade was deflected. Taking the initiative, Filius would run at the man, and strike his armpit, the only unarmored spot on his body. This would not only hit the mans ribs, but would send vibrations to his lungs, knocking the breath out of him. Filius would then launch the man into the wall with a hard kick. Sophie could see a smile on Filius's face, as he relished a chance to test his skill.

Just as soon as the man got back up, he whistled. 4 different weapon-masters, all part of his little group, stepped out, surrounding Filius. All Filius did was let out a booming laugh. "Ha! thanks for proving me right yet again! I knew you were an honorless pig!"he yelled to the weapon-master. Filius's expression soon turned serious, as he knew that he was greatly outmatched. This forced him to begin playing on defense, but it wasn't long before a weapon-master with a warhammer slammed the flat edge of it across Filius's head. It was a miracle it didn't crush his skull.

Filius was launched into a wall, his body battered and bruised. His head was now bleeding from the wound, but he managed to somehow stand up, though Sophie could see his shell was broken. He looked like a little kid, reliving the worst day of his life. He touched his scar on his neck, which had blood from his head on it. He then closed his eyes, and whispered something. "Aphelia...."his mouth worded.

Filius's eyes would then open, as a cold rage coursed over them. He started charging right up to the group, but instead of attacking them all at once, he jumped up. His fists glowing red from fire magic, he slammed them down on the ground, using the magic built up into the gauntlets to send a shockwave out, making them all fly. Filius would then start charging them down, and attacking each one. His fighting style was now more......savage. It wasn't that he wanted to win now, he wanted to cause them all to feel pain.

(Now is time that you can control your guy again :D)

Filius would then launch the ring-leader weapon-master into the wall again, ripping off the mans helmet. "I will rip your guts out through your armor!"he said, as his gauntlets began to glow again. Filius would then grab the back of his armor, and rip it open. "You threaten my friend, you lead me here on false pretenses, you try to kill me......I will make sure you're a cripple for the rest of your life. "he said, as he started walking closer to the man.

Kory

Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 PM

At this point, Sophie was scared. She'd seen Filius angry, but not livid like this... No, this was a whole new level of angry. He looked completely enraged and it scared Sophie. Filius was gentle to her, never this angry and her instincts told her to jump out into the arena and stop Filius from completely destroying the Weapons Master...

The Weapons Master looked a little frightened, if only for a few seconds. It was obvious, he thought he'd have the upper hand by tricking Filius and getting his posse together to fight against Filius. But Filius was strong, he always was and Sophie knew that Filius would win at any cost. Which, again, scared her.

She jumped out of her seat and ran into the arena, stopping in front of Filius with her arms out. "You don't have to do this Filius... I think they get the picture." She came a little closer to him, not afraid of him, for he was gentle and she knew that deep down that gentle, little boy was still in there. "Please, Filius... You're hurt so badly..."

The Weapons Master remained silent, it seemed that he finally learned his lesson. Sophie hoped that this would mean he'd stop hitting on her and that she'd be able to freely learn weaponry without prejudice from her instructor. Sophie came a little closer to Filius with worry in her eyes.

"Please, Filius...?"

Andraus

Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 PM

Filius would look towards Sophie, the rage still burning in his eyes. As she would speak, she would see the rage starting to cool down. "If I don't do this, he won't stop! he needs to pay!"he said. At the mention of his wounds, Filius would place a hand on his head. "I'll.....I've faced worse.....I have had worse....this is....."he started to say, looking down towards the males figure. He wanted to hurt him bad, to make him feel the sort of pain Filius had felt. He thought that this was the way to calm the raging fire within him.

It took Sophies final words to make Filius realize he had started this fire he was feeling by himself.

Filius sighed heavily, But he would reach over towards the Male, and run his nail across the males cheek. It would burn, and leave a deep cut on his skin. "That will make a scar, one that will not heal......It will not hurt once it's sealed up, but it will stay there for life. I want you to remember, that I held your life in my hands....and by the judgement of this woman, I left you alive.....cherish it. "he said, standing up, his gauntlets now finally having gone out.

Filius started walking towards Sophie, before he grunted in pain, putting a hand on his ribs, before collapsing to the ground. Sophie would only hear a few things from him. "I'm sorry Sophie......I'm sorry Aphelia....."he said, before passing out.

The Teacher for the Magic-casters would finally approach, an entourage of mages with him, along with a small group of weapon-masters. He walked towards the Weapon-master Instructor"These children have told me what you have done, Weapon-master. Master Verinius will hear of this!"he said, before looking towards the field. "By the spirits.....what has happened?...."

Kory

Old 10-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Sophie tried to catch Filius before he hit the ground, but once again, her reflexes were only slightly too slow. Filius was hurt and it was her fault. She knelt beside his unconscious form and gently pulled him into her lap. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes and she felt so horrible for allowing this to happen. She felt worse for even encouraging the fight.

"Oh..." She cried. "Can someone please send for a medic? Please?!"

The Weapons Master instructor argued with the Magic Caster instructor, but their words were falling on Sophie's deaf ears. She wasn't hearing anything that they were saying and frankly, she didn't want to. All that mattered was that Filius was hurt and it was all her fault.

Sophie cried for a few minutes before two nurses approached her from behind. She didn't want to let Filius go into their care, but she had to step back and let them do their job... Which was only cleaning and wrapping his wounds really. Sophie continued to cry and she approached the Magic Casters teacher with her head hung low...

"I'm sorry..." She whispered between sniffs. "He is my friend, I caused this to happen and I'm... so sorry." Her tears became sobs and she allowed herself to cry uncontrollably. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

Andraus

Old 10-11-2015, 09:03 PM

"No she didn't."a voice said. A young looking weapon-master,a woman, walked over. She was one of the instructors at the school, teaching siege warfare, and was one of the people that watched the duel. "This woman was being harassed, under the eye of our teacher, and having constant slurs and misogynistic insults thrown at her. This man heard about it, left class, and confronted the students. "She said. She then looked towards the weapon-master instructor. "If anyone should be too blame, it's you. These students were in your charge, and you let them be put in harms way."She said to her.

The Magic-caster looked towards the woman. "I am surprised a weapon-master would speak in defense of my student, but that is an issue for later. We'll let Master Verinius hear of this, and deal with this. "He said, then looked towards Sophie. "Don't blame yourself. He did this out of his own free-will. If you want to go check on him, you can. "He said.

Kory

Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 PM

Sophie was surprised when the other woman in her class spoke up for her. It was somewhat of a relief to know that the entire class wasn't against her. This, however, only caused Sophie to sob harder, but they were tears of relief and sorrow for her friend, Filius. As relieved as she was to have support, finally, she still felt bad for Filius and him being hurt.

"O-okay." She tried to speak between sobs to the Magic Caster instructor. She turned and began to follow the medics with long, slow steps, her head still hung low. She wiped at her face, trying to make the tears stop flowing, but it was proving to be rather difficult. If anything serious happened to Filius, she'd never forgive herself.

When they laid Filius down on a bed in the infirmary, Sophie sat beside Filius with sadness. She ran her fingers through his hair while he was unconscious. She sighed, feeling her sorrow slowly disappear and become replaced with an anger that Sophie hadn't felt before. A boiling, rising anger that caused her hands to clench and she grit her teeth.

"Don't worry about it, Filius... He won't get away with this." Sophie couldn't kill another person if her life depended on it, still, she wanted to hurt that Weapon Master more than Filius had hurt him. She turned around and picked up here sword, securing it to it's sheath and made her way out of the infirmary.

Andraus

Old 10-14-2015, 04:43 PM

The teacher from before, the female weapon master, would stop her. "Excuse me, miss. We need to talk, would you come with me?"she asked her. "You're not in trouble, or anything like that, but I think it's best we talk out of this sterile environment, and somewhere you can actually breathe. "She said. She obviously wasn't leaving much room to argue.

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Sophie grumbled under her breath a little bit, then she turned to follow the Weapons Master. "I don't mean to be rude, but I am in a bit of a hurry." She admitted. The entire time, she kept a tight fist wrapped around the hilt of her sword. She was ready to hurt the person who hurt her dear friend, Filius and she wouldn't let anyone get in her way.

"What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?" She asked. Still anxious to go after that other Weapons Master.

Andraus

Old 10-15-2015, 07:16 PM

"I didn't have the time to properly introduce myself. "She said. She still had the same calm smile she had in the infirmary. She then sat down at a table, overlooking the school from their position. "I am Isabelle Pimms. I am the Siege-Master here. I am too teach your class about prolonged warfare, mixed unit tactics, and how to get past defenses. "she said, obviously going through the whole song and dance of her position. Then she said something to catch her attention.

"I was also honored to know Yaro's elder sister, Aphelia. We were team-mates. We were Demon-hunters. She is.....was my best friend. "she said, reaching into her shirt, and pulling out a cross. It was your standard issue one, but it was pure silver, embedded with ornate rubies, and had an obvious enchantment on it.

Kory

Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 PM

"I couldn't be more interested, but..." Sophie interrupted a little, she really had her heart set on finishing the job Filius set out to do. But she found the words died on her tongue when the woman pulled out a cross. Immediately, Sophie's memories became flooded with past fears and uncertainty. This cross reminded her of something in her past that she couldn't quite place. It changed her demeanor, made her calmer and a little bit solemn.

Sophie pressed her lips into a thin line and looked Ms. Pimms in the eyes. She searched for something, maybe some hidden reason behind her words, maybe for some secrets of her own past. "Why are you telling me this?" Sophie spat.

Andraus

Old 10-15-2015, 11:09 PM

Isabelle would twirl the ruby cross in her hand, before she held up the initials behind it. 'A.A.'. "We used to be partners in crime, you know? We met here at this school, and from day one, I thought of her as a force of nature......She left no mercy for her enemies, but she was the best friend you could ever ask for if she trusted you. "She said. Isabelle would then pull a second cross out, identical except the jewels, instead of rubies, were sapphires. "When the other students poked fun at me being a farmers daughter, or the fact that I wasn't 'girly' enough, Aphelia came in like a cyclone, and made an example of them.....left her in bed with rib fractures for a week, but she told me it was 'totally worth it'......sounds like a certain someone you know. "Isabelle said, as she smiled towards the sleeping Yaro.

"Yaro idolized her. Whenever she came back from missions, she'd always bring him toys, pictures, or stories.....heh, I think I remember her telling your parents off once, saying 'She can think for herself', though I don't know if you remember that. "She said, "She told Yaro of dragons and goblins, of the battles we fought, of the places we saw. No matter how long, or how boring, Yaro just sat there, wide eyed, absorbing it all......She was like a sister to me....."she said, before looking away from Sophie.

"-and I failed to be there for her."

Sophie could hear her voice broke slightly. Even if her face wasn't visible, It was obvious that this was painful for her to remember. "A demon was smart enough to know it couldn't beat Aphelia in a head-on fight, so he did something he never should've: He targeted Yaro. "She said. "Aphelia managed to stop him, but barley. The Demon's attack was strong enough that Yaro will have that scar forever, and that Aphelia was roughly torn in half. "she said.

"I was angry....furious even. I wanted to lay Aphelia down, and hunt the demon down. But she....she made me promise on my cross that I'd never use my position as a demon hunter, or my love for those I cared about, as justification for my actions. She told me to remain true to the person I am. "she said, lightly rubbing the ruby cross. "Yaro didn't understand. Who could blame him? he just lost his sister. Though, before he left, he told me that 'I am going to leave, to get stronger, but when I come back, I'll make sure no-one is harmed again.' "Isabelle said.

"I guess, what I am trying to say is.....don't repeat my mistake.....Yaro is in a dark place, and seeing blood on his scar obviously opened old wounds....But when he was about to give into his anger, you were there, to grab him before he descended into the abyss.....it just goes to show how much he trusts and cares for you. "She said, standing up. "Be there for Yaro, but don't lose sight of who you are.....stay true to yourself, Sophie. "she said, before waving as she left. "I look forward to seeing you in my class!" she said as she closed the door

Kory

Old 10-16-2015, 01:58 AM

The story and moral that Miss Pimms gave Sophie did soften her disposition. She made sense, Miss Pimms, and Sophie really could learn something from that story she gave her. Still, Sophie couldn't help but feel as though she caused Filius' injuries.

"I never heard that story about his sister..." She admitted. "Truthfully, I don't remember much of her from when we were little, and I haven't heard from Filius for a long time until today." Sophie released her iron grip on her sword's hilt and softened her gaze. "I didn't know how big of an effect she had on him."

Though, Sophie understood was Isabella Pimms was trying to tell her, she still felt a roiling, rising wall of guilt and desperation. Filius was her friend and friends don't let friends get hurt like that. "... Still... That boy compromised my honor and hurt Filius. I can't let that go. I love Fil-" She caught herself. No, she didn't love Filius... Did she? "I love Filius like a brother, if I never told him about the boy that was picking on me, he'd never have gotten himself into a fight like that. I caused it, I could have handled that boy on my own, but I was a baby and ran to Filius for help I didn't truly need."

Politely, she approached Isabella Pimms, reaching out to grab her hands, "I appreciate your concern. I won't make the same mistake, but I need to do something to defend my honor." She slid her hands away from Pimms' and turned on her heels, mumbling to herself, "I'm not a weakling, I can't sit back and do nothing..."

Andraus

Old 10-16-2015, 02:18 PM

"Striking him now would be pointless. Filius broke both of the boys Clavicles, he is in no position to defend himself, but go ahead. Talk to the boy. I think you'll understand. "She said. "One more thing, Sophie. You may have told Filius, but Filius was the one who decided to step in. He could've told you, helped you stand up, to fight your own battles, but he took this upon himself. "she said. She then pointed. "He's in there, along with the others, if you want to see him"

Kory

Old 10-17-2015, 01:56 AM

Something came over Sophie that she couldn't quite place. Gratitude, yes. She become overwhelmed with an astounding sense of gratitude and relief that someone else besides Filius did care about her decisions. She appreciated what Miss Pimms was trying to do for her, so without much thought she turned around and approached Isabella Pimms, gently placing her hands on the older woman's shoulders and she leaned in and placed a gentle, friendly kiss on the woman's cheek.

"I appreciate all you've told me." Sophie said, slowly backing away. "I just... I care about Filius very deeply. I guess that will be my downfall." Without another word, Sophie turned on her heels and walked into the infirmary to see if Filius had woken up yet.

Sophie stood in the doorway, not wanting to come too close to Filius, not with him as hurt as he was. She hummed a little tune she'd heard as a child and watched for a little while, not quite sure what to do with herself. Should she talk to that boy...? Should she leave it be? She didn't have much choice. Either she dishonorably attacked a boy who couldn't defend himself, (which would be exactly what he was doing to her, except with words) or she let her honor hang in the air by a thread by letting the boy go without, at least confronting him.

Sophie sighed. When did life get so complicated?! It happened all of a sudden too. Why couldn't things go back to the way they used to be?

Andraus

Old 10-17-2015, 02:38 AM

Filius was awake, but he had his eyes closed when Sophie came in. His face turned into a smile as he heard her hum, it bringing a familiar comfort to him. He then heard shuffling, fidgeting of cloths...She was restless? Filius would then turn towards Sophie, opening his eyes. "You have a good voice. Men would fall at hearing it. "he said, as he moved his pillow and sat up. "Ah, more comfortable.....least it doesn't hurt when I breath now. "he said, looking towards her. "Come on, sit with me. "he said, patting the bed. He was a little more.....bold, though whether this was the painkillers or him personally was questionable.

Kory

Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 AM

Sophie tried to smile when Filius mentioned that it was easier to breathe now. He always did try to make light in dark situations, still, she found she didn't have the strength to smile much. She looked at her feet, awkwardly as her humming died down. Though, when she heard Filius ask her to sit next to him, her head snapped back up and her eyes were a little wide.

Sophie moved her sword from her back and set it aside next to the wall by the doorway. Slowly, she approached Filius, taking small, careful steps, just in case he changed his mind. Though, when Sophie didn't hear any sign of protest from him, she came closer towards his bed.

Slowly, she lowered herself to sit beside him and awkwardly avoided eye contact. After a couple of seconds of silence, she spoke, (so softly it was almost a whisper) to Filius,

"How are you doing?"

Last edited by Kory; 10-17-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Andraus

Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 PM

"Pretty good, actually. The painkillers they gave me help me ignore most of my more serious injuries......"he said, lightly patting his ribs. "A couple of these boys got fractured, but Doc Moresby set them up right. "He said, leaning back. "Other than that, I was just glad to use my muscles. I am not one prone to extremely violent encounters, but it was good to use my full strength. True test to how far I've come, and how much more I need to go. "he said to her, leaning back. "They also have me feeling a bit more....I don't know, clear? Yeah. Like, I didn't notice how beautiful your hair looked in the evening sun. It has a nice shine to it. "he said. The medicine obviously lowered his sense of self-control, and he was practically flirting with her now.

Kory

Old 10-17-2015, 11:14 PM

It's the medicine talking... Sophie thought. She wasn't so sure if Filius was being honest with her, or if the painkillers were just making his mind foggy. Either way, she blushed when he complimented her hair. She leaned in and gently ran a hand through his hair, in a sort of motherly fashion.

"You're just being silly..." She tried to smile and giggle and be cute and funny about it, but she probably ended up sounding more sad than anything. Sophie had to admit, she still felt guilty. Even if it was just the medicine that was making him so bold suddenly, a part of her longed for the possibility that he may actually like her. She'd liked Filius all of her life, but this was the first time she'd ever thought of liking him as something more than a friend. It felt nice to be loved and wanted.

Sophie drew her hand back and gently slid her feet onto the bed with Filius, she made sure to take extra care in doing so not to make him uncomfortable and also not to take up too much room since the medic bed wasn't really that big for two people. He won't remember this when the meds wear off... Sophie laced her hand in his, smiling at him.... Right?

Andraus

Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 AM

Filius saw her lay next to him, and take his hand. He would twine his fingers with hers, squeezing reassuringly. "Every scratch.....every bruise.....every cut.....It was worth it.....because it was for the person, who I shall protect above all others. "he said, with an almost daring voice, as if wishing for someone to come and test it. Filius would then take her face in his hand, and look at her with the most serious expression he could muster. "Sophie....."He would only say, as he laid his head against her, falling into a blissful sleep.

Kory

Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 AM

As much as Sophie tried to hide it, her face turned almost beet red when Filius spoke of protection and his injuries being worth it. She mustered up an embarrassed smile and averted her eyes, staring directly at the wall a few feet away in front of them. She felt safe with Filius, but she still felt that guilt tugging at her sleeve like an impatient and selfish, young child.

Sophie's heart started thumping in her chest when Filius put a hand to her face. It beat so rapidly that it was almost painful. Sophie felt frozen, as much as she wanted to pull away, to shake off the awkwardness and to pretend that she was upset that Filius was so hazed by his painkillers that he'd say these things to her... She found she rather liked it, and she felt like time was frozen.

She opened her mouth to say something in response, but only a soft sigh escaped her lips. Then, when Filius laid against her she slowly unfroze and felt free to move. A strange feeling was brewing in the pit of her stomach and she wasn't too sure if she liked it. Why did life have to be so complicated...? Sophie lamented as Filius quickly fell asleep. She decided to busy herself by running a hand over his head a few times, just making sure he was truly asleep.

After a few minutes of watching him sleep, she carefully slid out of the bed and made her way towards the doorway. But before she left the infirmary completely, she turned around and studied Filius' sleeping form again. She'd made up her mind, she was going to seek out that boy and talk.

Andraus

Old 10-18-2015, 03:15 AM

Filius would sleep like a bird. The rest of the infirmary was filled with the others from the fight. Most were out cold, but the few that were up avoided Sophie's gaze, partially out of fear, partially out of shame. One of them nodded towards the boy, their *leader* at the other end of the room.

(dunno what else I can say at this point)