PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-03-2017, 01:19 PM

((this is a continuation of a story written in a public rp where Mira, the runaway slave, was caught in a storm and took refuge at an inn where he met a travelling book seller. Viridis took him under her wing while they talked, determined to help him make a new life for himself. The next morning Veldrin Vedris, a merceneray dark elf, arrived at this same inn. He hadn't expected to find Mira, whom he had been hired to bring back to his master, having lost the trail in the storm.
Sympathetic to the young man's plight, he said he wouldn't carry through with his job. After some discussion, Viridis hired him with the gold which had once adorned Mira in his former life. Now they are all preparring to flee. (see Night's Inn rp for actual posts)))

Kry: I thought putting in a little summary might be helpful for later on.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 10:44 AM ----------

Veldrin had made the bag of gold disappear, with just a few words. Emerald eyes wide, the young woman stared at the elf for a few moments before comming back to her senses. Magic did exist after all, though in the areas the book seller usually traveled it was a rarity.

Perhaps what startled the brunette more was hearing Mira's admission that his own parents had been the ones to sell him into such a horrible life. Indignant anger flared high in Viridis's heart, making her want to lash out at ... something. Instead she took a deep breath, closed her eyes for a moment, and imagined herself with her staff in hand, going through practice. Once calmed, she went to Mira and gave him a one arm hug. "They must have been absolutely desperate." Starving perhaps? If there had been more mouths to feed .... Perhaps they thought Mira would actually have a better go at life then they did, when they sold him off. It was still inexcusable though. The whole idea of slavery stank, and yet it existed. There wasn't much Viridis could do about it, except get this one runaway as far from his former master as possible.

It brought her back to her earlier realization. She needed to leave her family behind, everything she'd known ... All to help a near stranger. One glance at Mira made her resolve firm. Her parents didn't need her, they had other children and employees to help with the business. She would have been married off to some stranger soon anyway, to cement a new business deal or something. Oh of course her parents would have made sure the man was friendly, got along with her, but he would have stopped her from traveling, she was sure.

"Before we leave, I'll need to write a letter to my family. I must tell them something, to let them know that nothing horrible has happened to me. I also need to try and get all the books to my parents, they need this new stock." That meant hiring someone to take everything all that way to another domain. She would probably need to give her donkey away to pay for it, since she'd not enough otherwise, save with such a fine animal. "There should be somone in a nearby town trusworthy enough, and willing to take my donkey as payment ..."

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM

Veldrin Veresi watched the woman carefully, noting the minute reaction to the magic he had performed. It was a simple spell really, it scent the bag of gold to a hiding place, one that could only be accessed by that spell. He was smiling beneath the mask that covered most of his features, however when Mira spoke the smile turned to a frown. For the moment Veldrin was silent.

Mira's brows furrowed slightly when Viridis attempted to comfort him with such words, and he shook his head. He could remember it clearly, as if it had happened yesterday, it was a memory he could not forget no matter how hard he tried. The utter betrayal of his family hurt far to much. "...No...They were rich." He shivered slightly, wondering how much he should tell. He knew it would only upset Viridis and the dark elf seemed intrigued.

Mira shifted in his seat slightly, looking up at Viridis face for a moment, he inhaled deeply. "My brother was older by only a minute but twins are forbidden and the weaker of the two must be sold as a slave or killed." Mira pressed his lips together tightly, he had been ten, that was the legal age to be sold in his country. It gave ample time to see if a weaker twin would die or survive. Mira neglected to mention that his family had begun training him as a slave before they ever even sold him.

Veldrin wrinkled his nose slightly, glad he had not been a twin. In his world twin girls were a great thing, but most of the time twin boys were killed outright by their own families. The dark elf stood, stretching a bit. Some of the gold he had just been paid in could have been used to send the books and what not to Viridis' family without her needing to get rid of the donkey, but Veldrin said nothing.

Not because he was greedy, but because he knew she would have an easier time than him of raising money if she needed it, and because he wasn't sure the next town had a fence he could sell the slave gold to. He sat back down in his chair. "Write your letter quick then, the sooner we leave, the better."

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Her arm tightened around Mira, but Viridis didn't notice. She simply couldn't understand how anyone could treat their own child like that. How was it even possible? How had the gods not turned on that wretched country, buried it in earthquakes, done something, to show their discontent? She shook her head, no, the gods probably didn't even care. It seemed like she would need to actually go upstairs and grab her staff to do some practice sometime soon, or she would end up saying something, doing something, absolutely wretched out of anger.

"I'll go take care of it now..." Viridis practically ran upstairs, drafting her letter in haste and packing the necessities and lugging her books downstairs. It took more then one trip, and the last saw her with her own pack upon her back, and her staff in hand.

She was more than ready to leave that place, and take Mira far out of reach of his master. "Will it take long for the two of you to geet ready?"

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Mira fidgeted a bit in his seat when Viridis' arm tightened around him, and again when she left him to write her letter and carry her things down. He stared at Veldrin some, but never met the other man's eyes. Wondering if it were even possible for him to become strong like the man across from him. The way he was now, it didn't seem likely, and why should these people put so much effort into helping him? He wasn't worth it at all, he just didn't understand.

When Viridis returned, he looked to her, standing slowly. "I'm ready." The words spoken in his quiet, hesitant voice were true, Mira had nothing but the clothes on his back, and these clothes had been given to him by the kindly inn keeper.

Veldrin watched Mira even as the slave watched him, but unlike Mira, Veldrin kept trying to catch the other's eyes with his own. He knew the kinds of things Mira had gone through, he had gone through similar things and things that Mira's master was not cruel enough to even dream of. Could he really help this boy? The damage done could already be beyond repair.

Still he was being paid well enough for this service so he would try. Idly he mused that mercenary work and slavery were only slightly different, he was basically selling himself to the highest bidder for services rendered. The only differences was he could chose his masters, held the right to refuse. Veldrin was frowning behind the cloth that covered his face when Viridis returned, not liking the idea that everything in the world seemed to be some form of slavery or other.

He stood, stretched and straightened his back, standing at his full height of 6'2. He briefly touched the quiver strap across his chest, and the bow string over his shoulder. "I have all I need already." He always traveled light, it was easier to stalk prey with nothing weighing you down.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Viridis nodded, noting that Mira would need a pair or shoes, some socks, to protect is feet. She tried not to think of just how difficult their journey would be, and what things would be like once it was done. Where would they end up? How far would they have to travel before finding someplace safe, for away from Mira's old master?

The young woman smiled slightly at both men before walking past them, heading for the stables where her donkey was housed. She was glad to see that someone, probably the inn keeper, had feed her. Now the dainty donkey was staring dolefuly at her mistress, as if knowing that her time of rest was over. Viridis set about packing the books across the animal's back, doing her best to distribute the weight evenly. Then she took the donkey's reins and brought her to the door of the inn.

"Where to now, Veldrin? I know there's a town not too far to the west, but I don't know if the people there might recognize Mira or not." There was always the chance that Mira's former master had invited guests over to see the pale haired young man, and who knew what else they'd gotten up to. Was it too chancy to go someplace so nearby, or would it be a better idea to go around that town, go further to avoid such a chance as much as possible? "It might be better to bypass that town, and travel longer until we come across something else though."

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 09-07-2017, 01:42 PM

Mira was silent, but Viridis led the donkey to the door, he moved to stand near her. Coming close to the donkey and petting it softly, as he watched Viridis and Veldrin make their decision. He could offer no opinion on these matters, because he really didn't know anything.

Veldrin watched the slave approach the donkey and girl before he made his way slowly toward them. Even now, his stride was precise, almost predatory in how silent and fluid his movements were. He held a lethal grace about him, one that was natural. Veldrin eyed the donkey for a moment and then gave a slight shrug.

"You could always camp a bit outside of the town, and I could venture in for supplies and other things I am in need of." He would just have to make sure to pick the camp spot for them if they agreed. It would need to be far enough away from the town that no one stumbled upon them accidentally, yet still close enough so that he could get there and back fairly quickly. "Give me a list of the supplies you need and I could procure them for you."

Sensible but safe is what he was going for. Of course Viridis had no real reason to trust him, only to trust that what she was paying him was enough to keep him loyal to their cause. Truthfully Veldrin might have done it for free, he knew the pain of slavery far to well. Still taking into account that he was a mercenary and that the fee for returning Mira might be substantial, he wondered if Viridis would actually trust him to go into town alone. To not betray them to the highest bidder when he did go to town.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 AM

(( So sorry about taking so long to reply, work has been ... an adjustment since it's now a new section of training ..))

Immediately Viridis listed off a few items, then paused thinking before nodding to herself. "And some shoes and clothing for Mira, as well as traveling essentials for him. I already have most of what I need with me." But Mira had probably never traveled before, not like this. He was inexperienced, apparently, in so many ways that it was difficult to try and anticipate what she could do to help him next.

And yet she knew for certain he would need a cloak, shoes, a change of clothing... "Could you show us that spot you had in mind? I'm assuming you already have an idea of where we would be safe to wait while you take care of things." It was the best option for them, realized Viridis as they spoke. This way she would be with Mira to keep him calm, or try to, while keeping him out of sight. Meanwhile the mercenary would be garnering attention out in the village, obviously traveling alone ...

"Here." She held the donkey's reins out to Veldrin, checking to make sure she'd not forgotten a single thing she wanted to keep with her. "Would you mind taking care of the books and donkey as well, while you're there?"