Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 03-10-2017, 12:39 AM

I thought it might be a nice idea to share medication information. :)

Remember, though, if you have any medication questions its always good to ask your pharmacist/chemist but if you have any advice or information you'd like to pass on about certain medications we can share here, yeah? :D

I take a few medications, so I'm always interested in medication information. I might also add a list of information on certain meds to this first post, should we get enough information. :)

Kory

Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 AM

Medications:

Dronabinol (Marinol)
Latuda
Intuniv
Trifluoperazine (Stelazine)
Ziprasidone (Geodon)
Trazadone

Last edited by Kory; 04-21-2017 at 08:26 PM..

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Cool idea, Ava the Vampire. Would you like to share about what medications you are taking?

Kory

Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 PM

I can't believe I didn't reply to this yet!
I had a huge, long post full of information about the medications I take and I guess I never posted it.

Anyway!

I currently take all psychiatric medications. Two antipsychotics (for schizophrenia) and one antidepressant (off label for sleep.)
I will basically just give a review and tip of how I feel about the meds I take, otherwise, if anyone is interested, or curious about these medications I will post a link that gives a lot more information than I ever could.

First antipsychotic I take is an old, first generation antipsychotic called Stelazine. (Trifluoperazine) It's a very old medication and isn't usually given to people anymore, I don't know why. I like this medication because I feel like it helps. It's also purple! :D
This medication is pretty easy to take and I've been on it for two years now and it hasn't yet stopped working on me. Which is good.

The second antipsychotic is a newer medication, second generation called Geodon. (Ziprasidone) I don't like this medication that much. For one, you have to eat at least 350 calories with it. (That's something that a doctor won't tell you!) The reason for that is because it will metabolize better with at least 350 calories. I hate this because I don't eat 350 calories in the morning and I don't eat 350 calories at night. Those are the two times I take this medication. :s That's my only qualm. Sometimes when I don't remember to eat enough, it ends up not working at all.

The last medication I take is for sleep. It's an antidepressant called Trazadone. I like it sometimes, however, I guess my need to stay awake is sometimes stronger than the medication and it's not one that I can take more of if it doesn't work the first time. I heard a lot of horror stories about trazadone, but it's really not that bad. If your insomnia is bad, but you haven't tried any prescribed sleep aids, then this one might work for you. If your insomnia is really bad and can't be controlled with other sleep aids like seroquel or remeron, then this med might be too weak.

That's it for me.
I am going to add links in a little bit, and also I will add a directory in the second post, so if people are curious about a certain kind of medicine they can find it easier.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 AM

This is definitely an interesting thread to me because it's part of my job to learn about and know these things.
I would recommend Drugs.com for links to any medications, that is what I use at work. (Just don't read the side effects list... believe me sometimes you don't want to know)

Trifluoperazine - This one is interesting because it's the only one I don't recognize. It seems that with Trifluoperazine you can drink alcohol though the Ziprasidone and Trazadone both say drinking alcohol can be dangerous or fatal. I couldn't see anything on why Trifluoperazine is rarely used, though the Brand of the drug has been discontinued.

I looked at the information regarding food intake on Ziprasidone. It seems that the amount of food you eat can affect how well your body absorbs the drug (bio-availability). I used the National Center for Biotechnology Information for this info (.gov site).

Edit - so I asked a pharmacist about Trifluoperazine. Apparently the reason it is not commonly prescribed is because of issues that could arise if the patient could not handle the medication. Though it sounds like you weren't having any of those complications which would be why you are on it.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 04-19-2017 at 04:45 PM..

Kory

Old 04-20-2017, 04:20 AM

I don't necessarily love my medications, but I do prefer Trifluoperazine over other medications. I think that makes sense as to why it's not prescribed as much anymore. It was really popular in the 80s and maybe even before, but now, no one seems to have heard of it. When I was in the hospital last month, even my nurse didn't know what Trifluoperazine was...

I was prescribed Trifluoperazine as an add-on to my other antipsychotic, Invega (Palperidone?) back in 2015. I don't know why they prescribed that to me instead of something more popular like Haldol. (I can't remember the generic name...) In the hospital they usually over-medicate people anyway... I took three antipsychotics in the hospital every single time I was there.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 AM

She actually had never heard of the brand name before. It's a "first gen" drug, and I think medical professionals shy away from them due to their risks. Something about muscle weakness in the face or something.

Haldol? Probably Haloperidol?

Oh they definitely over medicate people. My grandma was under 3 seizure meds nearing the end of her life. She was in a medically induced coma until me and one of her children yelled at them.

Kory

Old 04-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Oh yeah, the movement disorders. I heard that really only happens with long term use, but I'm not a medical professional so I don't know that for sure. :s It's understandable, though. Apparently one someone gets a movement disorder from medications it can be very hard, (if not impossible) to reverse.

I think that's it. I know everyone in the hospital has Haldol as a PRN, especially those who are prone to violence for some reason...? I think it's also there for patients with "psychotic" disorders, but they will give it to anyone who is freaking out or disobeying them.... :/

That is scary! I don't like being over medicated and I hate that people (some people anyway) just sit back and let it happen because they trust their doctor. I still feel like I am overmedicated by taking two antipsychotics... I am pretty sure I don't even have schizophrenia, so I don't see the point of taking such heavy medications.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM

From what I was told there was no reversing it. A few others cause heart arrhythmia.

I am pretty sure the medication is necessary though. At leasy some of it. I've seen what happens when you're not on them.

Kory

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM

That's really unfortunate. :(
You would start to wonder why doctors even make medicines like that, especially if they caused so much problems!

I try to keep myself from embarrassing myself online here... If I start "hearing voices" or stuff like that, I do my best to keep it to myself and keep it offline. All of my friends online tell me that I do better when I am on my medication, but I don't see it. I don't feel any different on my meds than I do off them, except maybe not as scared.

---------- Post added 04-20-2017 at 08:24 PM ----------

I forgot to mention the antihistamine that I take for anxiety.
It's called Vistaril (Hydroxyzine). It's pretty useless, so I hardly take it anymore, I'm trying to find more natural ways of dealing with my anxiety.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 AM

Well, most treatments are because they found out that it also cures something else.

If you ever need to talk about it, you can always PM me ^^ one should never have to fight an issue alone after all. Also my disabilities and differences thread is open to you talking about it.
Well, you get really really paranoid when you're off them. We watched you go into a sort of a meltdown before disappearing for a while. It scared us.

Ah yeah Hydroxyzine I've heard of people complaining of that before. I think it's likely too weak. Choices like Chamomile tea would likely be just as effective XD

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 04-21-2017, 05:59 PM

I'm on more medications than I care to list.

But the big ones people might have questions about:
Dronabinol (Marinol)
Latuda
Intuniv

I take the dronabinol for nausea and a lack of appetite. I have severe untreated gastroparesis. The medications they put me on to try and treat the motility problem all either failed me or made me sick. So they were like, "Have you ever smoked weed?" And I didn't really answer...and he continued. "This medication is pure THC, its rare to give it out to people w/ your condition being so young, but I think its a good choice." It was in fact a very good choice. I still get sick sometimes, but to a way lesser extent, and I *actually eat things and can enjoy them* whereas before I felt like everything I ate was chewy cardboard (or it reminded me of vomit). It doesn't get me "fucked up", but I can confirm the first few weeks of taking it I felt "extra silly." (its been years now)

Latuda I take because I have paranoia, anxiety and delusions all related to my bipolar disorder. It makes me a lot less crazy. I love it. Side effects were bad at first, so I'm on a slightly lower dose than the standard, but it works REALLY well even at that point, so dudes, if you're ever on latuda and it gives you chest flutters...give it a few days because that usually goes away, and if it doesn't, talk to yo' doc.

Intuniv is a medication usually reserved for children and adolescents, but I was having problem taking stimulants for ADHD, so my doctor switched me to this. This is probably one of the meds I know least about. I take it before bed, and wake up in the morning feeling more attentive and weirdly "in control" of my brain space. I'm not quite as hyper which was giving me anxiety, but on the other hand it doesn't slap me in the face and go PAY ATTENTION.

Edit: I also am not really worried about being over medicated right now. I was on the verge of killing myself with out it. And if these meds kill me one day OK. But I would not be here today without them.

Any questions please @ me.

Last edited by monstahh`; 04-21-2017 at 06:07 PM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Well it sounds like you did get the high, but your body now expects it and so the high is gone. Much like other drugs you have to continue to boost the amount for the high. For medical effect that isn't necessary.

One perk though is that thc is pretty safe.
Do you still take dronobinol? I know for patients with cancer thc is the only thing they usually need to combat the nausea.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 04-21-2017, 07:43 PM

Yes, I take marinol every day.

Speaking of "getting high" and yes that is exactly why. THC is one of those drugs you build up a tolerance to "getting high." People have told me if I want to get the high back, stop taking it for a few days and I'm like, "lol i like eating more than I want to get high."

Kory

Old 04-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Poet View Post
Well, most treatments are because they found out that it also cures something else.

If you ever need to talk about it, you can always PM me ^^ one should never have to fight an issue alone after all. Also my disabilities and differences thread is open to you talking about it.
Well, you get really really paranoid when you're off them. We watched you go into a sort of a meltdown before disappearing for a while. It scared us.

Ah yeah Hydroxyzine I've heard of people complaining of that before. I think it's likely too weak. Choices like Chamomile tea would likely be just as effective XD
I guess that makes sense... Still, I don't know anyone who would rather cure one thing, but start a chain reaction of other things. (especially things that can't be cured!)

Thanks, Poet. I appreciate that. I am afraid that I might end up having to post in your thread a lot more often now. My therapist just told me that she has cancer and won't be able to keep seeing me while she is undergoing chemotherapy. So I am going to see a new therapist in her stead, but I don't know if I'll be able to trust her easily. It might take quite some time before I get to that point. I've been seeing my current therapist since I was 16 years old!

I probably went to the hospital if I disappeared. :( As much as I do my best to keep myself from being embarrassed, I will still usually come here everyday.

Yeah, hydroxyzine is plum useless! It used to make me sleepy, but as far as treating my anxiety, it really didn't do much at all. I'm still prescribed it, but I just choose not to use it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
Yes, I take marinol every day.

Speaking of "getting high" and yes that is exactly why. THC is one of those drugs you build up a tolerance to "getting high." People have told me if I want to get the high back, stop taking it for a few days and I'm like, "lol i like eating more than I want to get high."
I'm glad you shared with us the medications that you take!
I agree with you that it would be better to eat rather than getting high. I don't like meds that make me feel "high", personally.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 PM

I don't either. Occasionally I'd like to feel more "relaxed" than I am because of my anxiety, but I don't think there's a drug out there that I haven't already tried that would help. The intuniv was supposed to help a little because I *was* on adderall but it made me sooo miserable so i'd never take it anyway.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 PM

So many people would just fast every few days and that's sad, just for a high. I never understood the draw to it.

Ava - so true.... we never really seem to be reducing side effects. Just adding more pills.

Well ava you are mene family, so no need to be shy :)
Yeah you went to the hospital. And if need be we can definitely talk to you but of course you will have to do your best to work with the new therapist. Perhaps start by learning about her or him on your first few sessions, trading so to speak.

Kory

Old 04-22-2017, 02:17 AM

I hope that I won't have to go back to the hospital any time soon!

Yeah, I will do my best to talk to the new therapist, but I am so nervous. I don't know if I will like her at all. My current therapist told me a little bit about her and so far I don't know if I'll like her... It took me a long time to find my current therapist and it took me even longer to learn to trust her. I'm really picky when it comes to therapists.
And it's funny how trust works, I always trust easily with people who are not trustworthy, then those who need my trust; I never give it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 04-22-2017, 02:26 AM

Hopefully. Just keep in mind that we want the best for you. Of course nobody likes taking medicine, but it's good to have reminders of why you have to, otherwise that forgetting routine begins. I've seen it before with someone with bipolar, they started believing they were better and went off their meds and went manic.

Such is the irony of the world... trusting the untrustables is so easy isn't it?
At the very least though, they are someone you can simply talk to. Just the little things you don't mind telling them. It's very understandable to be uncomfortable and picky with a therapist. After all, they learn so much about you. More than even friends tend to get to learn.

Kory

Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Has anyone taken any medications specifically for anxiety?

I started a new medication, BuSpar (buspirone).
I'm just curious, my first time taking it was absolutely awful. It made me get serious head rush and I felt dizzy. Once that passed, I felt a horrible headache and I couldn't enjoy anything.

I've read some reviews on it, and I feel like it might be a temporary thing, if I can just last a week, I might be okay.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-04-2017, 03:29 PM

When you go to the pharmacy next most definitely bring that up to your pharmacist. That does not sound like a normal side effect.
Let me go look into it, I see it at work a lot.
(Hopefully you're not on brand)

My research into Buspirone says it could potentially be withdrawls. Were you on a different medication before that?
Headache is on the list of side effects possible though.

Kory

Old 06-04-2017, 07:36 PM

I wasn't taking anything but antipsychotics before Buspirone,
I used to take hydroxyzine, but it wasn't really doing much for me, so I stopped taking it.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 PM

I've heard that a lot with hydroxyzine... always seems to do very little for people.

Kory

Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 PM

Yeah, I am glad that I was (finally!) able to convince my doctor to try me on something a little stronger, although, I have heard that Buspar is still pretty weak for some people.

It seems to be working just fine for me, though.

I am no longer dizzy when I take it, although I still get a little bit of a head rush.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-07-2017, 03:37 AM

Well it's surely not the strongest of them, but I hope the side effects go away ^^
The body usually has to get used to things I think (I dunno I don't take meds)

Glad to know it's helping :D