p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Don't act like you haven't found something awesome on Pinterest, and tried it and failed epicly. *pats on the head* It's okay, I've caught my stove on fire more times than I'd like to admit, and have ruined plenty a easy crafting project by over thinking instructions or trying to add my own "touch" (of doom).

Share with us a time you had an epic fail. Share pictures, too. We love those.

One time, I found this shredded chicken enchilada recipe. It looked easy. I'd never made enchiladas before and I was brand new to cooking, having just moved out of my parents house. They turned out beautifully, they looked just how they were supposed to, chicken was amazingly shredded and cooked through, the sauce drizzled ever so perfectly...

What was the epic fail you ask? Me mistaking 'cumin' for 'cinnamon'. Yeah, it doesn't make sense now, looking back on it. Don't judge me. I will say, they didn't taste too bad. I may have discovered a nice Holiday Seasoned Enchilada bake. That's right, I'm not a loser, I'm an inventor!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 PM

I once found this tutorial for tiny clay pots. So super cute, right? And the tutorial says it's simple. I happened to have some polymer clay on hand, so my mom and I both tried it out... Yeah, not so simple. I don't know if my clay was crap compared to what that person used or what, but there was just no way to get them as smooth as those. and cutting geometric shapes? Forget it. Mine are currently hiding in my closet out of shame...

I'm pretty sure I'll have the exact same luck if I ever try to make these clay barnacles.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 PM

Mmmm cinnamon enchiladas! hahaha

I think my biggest flop so far food wise has to be cake pops. Not all the time, granted. But 1 out of every 5 batches is a complete and utter disaster. Those things are so tricky. The other 4 times, the batches come out perfect and they look amazing. But that one batch.... oh man. It tastes good, but it looks like I've thrown it against the side of a barn.

I think it all has to do with the temperature, humidity, and how old/new the chocolate melts are. I did find a secret for that though. Add a bit of coconut oil or veggie oil if it's thick and chunky horrible....that'll salvage it and smooth it out. But, if your cake decides to not stay on your stick, well. You're outta luck.

Here's one from the first batch I ever made.....

SPOILERX

I was tricked into thinking they were easy after things went so smooth that first time.

Last edited by Woodlandnymph; 09-13-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Oh man, that picture looks insanely perfect. I had to reread what you said because I thought for a second "that has to be from a tutorial blog, there's no way a mortal human made that."

P.S. feel free to mail me your failed batches. I will eat them. >>

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 PM

Cherry, those clay pots are adorable, but I ADORE those barnacles! I don't think I could manage either of those things either, lol.

Nymph, that cakepop looks amazing. I tried to make them once, to. But my cake was too dry so I didn't even make it to the icing part.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM

Aren't they?! I'll just be over here crying that I can't make them. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something similar at a store for a reasonable price, so I can still have the cute. Or I'll become friends with someone with Martha Stewart-like crafting abilities (Woody ) who will make them for me.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 PM

I'm crafty. I can make a nice macaroni collage. Anytime. Smiley faces, circles, squares, you name it.

TheEmpressofEvil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 PM

I either royal screwed up on cake in a cup or the recipe was crap to begin with. Either way I was so disappointed and the worst part was that I wasn't the only one! My little brother had gotten so excited for it too and he was the first to taste the horribleness that was that cake in a cup. >.<

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-14-2013, 12:32 AM

Ooo! Cake pops! I've asked my mom to get them when they came out. Sadly, she never did. lul
But here's some nerdy nummies: DRAGON BALL Z CREME BRULEE CAKEBALLS - NERDY NUMMIES - YouTube

I want to make those someday. It's kind of a tedious thing to do to make creme brulee cake pops, though.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 01:13 AM

I made rainbow cake in a jar once. It was awesome! It tasted great and looked really cool. That was one thing I didn't totally screw up, thankfully, because my toddler was really looking forward to it, lol.

Miro, those DBZ balls ARE AWESOME!

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-14-2013, 01:16 AM

Is the rainbow cake where you dye the cake layers separately and then layer the batter on top of each other?
I never done that before. And what color do you start out with so it won't be dark?

Yesss!!! But you should see these cheeseburger cupcakes: HOW TO MAKE CHEESEBURGER CUPCAKES - NERDY NUMMIES - YouTube 8) That girl is AWESOME! I found nerdy nummies from a Tokyo pop newsletter on Facebook.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 01:22 AM

What do you mean what color do you start with? I would assume it doesn't really matter. I started with violet and tried to stay in order of the colors of the rainbow, but apparently I wasn't paying attention because when I was done I realized I had orange and red mixed.

I just spooned the colors one on top of each other really gently so that they wouldn't mix. The only place they ended up mixing was in the middle, which just made it look that much more awesome when you dug into it with your spoon. I put my recipe n stuff here in ma' mom blog. It was kind of when I first started blogging so I hope it makes sense, lol.

I have a picture you need to see in relation to those burgers. But I have to get dinner out of the oven. I'll be back soon!

---------- Post added 09-13-2013 at 08:32 PM ----------

I saw this at my local grocery store last week. It's a cake! Lol

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Aren't they?! I'll just be over here crying that I can't make them. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something similar at a store for a reasonable price, so I can still have the cute. Or I'll become friends with someone with Martha Stewart-like crafting abilities (Woody ) who will make them for me.
Lol.
Quote:
It's a good thing.
Did I ever tell you that I get unreasonably mad whenever I see this one Martha Stewart glitter? They're named after minerals and what not, but the one named Feldspar is an aqua blue. Um. Yah. Feldspar can be gray....pink.....not aqua.

Poppet, they're tricky! I've never gotten so mad as I do when my cakepops get messed up.
Also, that burger cake is fantastic!

M i r o
Comatose

Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p o p p e t ♥ View Post
What do you mean what color do you start with? I would assume it doesn't really matter. I started with violet and tried to stay in order of the colors of the rainbow, but apparently I wasn't paying attention because when I was done I realized I had orange and red mixed.

I just spooned the colors one on top of each other really gently so that they wouldn't mix. The only place they ended up mixing was in the middle, which just made it look that much more awesome when you dug into it with your spoon. I put my recipe n stuff here in ma' mom blog. It was kind of when I first started blogging so I hope it makes sense, lol.

I have a picture you need to see in relation to those burgers. But I have to get dinner out of the oven. I'll be back soon!

---------- Post added 09-13-2013 at 08:32 PM ----------

[IMG][/IMG]

I saw this at my local grocery store last week. It's a cake! Lol
Ohmaigosh! Fortunately, the nerdy nummies girl has a cheeseburger cake video tutorial on there too xD
If anyone fancies a go at making that... but geez, that probably is more fattening than an actual cheeseburger and fries, loolol*

Oh! Well, I was asking do you start out with the lighter colors or do you layer the lighter colors last? I've searched some rainbow cake designs before and some of them tend to bleed into each other. I was wondering if the layering of the colors mattered or not.

&& Thank you for the link! :)

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 AM

I don't think so. I'd think that the cake batter is too thick for bleeding. Maybe if it's too runny, or your doing jello or something. Which I've also done. It's a pain in the ass. Takes way longer than the cake stuff.

The burger cake actually really grossed me out, lol. But still, props to whoever made that thing!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 05:01 AM

I tried making a pavlova...actually a few times. The first time was the worst thing I've ever tried to bake. It rose, but then it also fell, and sunk, it was burnt pitch black before I knew it...and when I tried it, after taking off the black layer...it did taste like a pavlova, but damn was the texture wrong. I remember after that attempt my brother had tried a bit too, and because of the taste he said "That's good pavlova".....that was a LOL moment.

I learnt just how hard it is to make a pavlova successfully so that it's cooked through yet remains as white as possible. I haven't tried in many years, because of the sugar content and the fact that I hate separating eggs....mainly because I don't like keeping the unused portions in a bowl in the fridge...

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 AM

I had never heard of pavlova until you talked about it Ling! I had to look it up, lol. It looks delicious! I might be able to pull something like that off, I just don't know if I'd have the patience to try.

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 AM

Once, I tried to fry chicken wings. I thought I had dipped them in flour, and was wondering why they weren't browning...

...until I realized that I had dipped them in confectioners' sugar and NOT flour.

Although they came out surprisingly delicious.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 11:08 AM

@p o p p e t, Pavlova is essentially a big soft meringue, usually topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit...it is delicious, and sweet when made right, but it is hard to make well, kind of like how they say sponge cakes are hard to make.

onsenmark, that is a very interesting mix up....although I can imagine it tasting ok, since I've cooked coke chicken in the past. All you need is chicken pieces, and a whole lot of coke (Coca Cola, not the other stuff), and what you do is place the clean, and nicely prepared chicken pieces in a pot, pour in the coke until it covers the chicken and cook until the coke evaporates and you're left with tender chicken pieces in a coke 'sauce'.

Nivvy
(っ◔◡◔)&...

Old 09-16-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M i r o View Post
Is the rainbow cake where you dye the cake layers separately and then layer the batter on top of each other?
I never done that before. And what color do you start out with so it won't be dark?

Yesss!!! But you should see these cheeseburger cupcakes: HOW TO MAKE CHEESEBURGER CUPCAKES - NERDY NUMMIES - YouTube 8) That girl is AWESOME! I found nerdy nummies from a Tokyo pop newsletter on Facebook.
Awww, she's soooo cute <3 I love her tutorials. I was following her tutorial for a rainbow cake, but I really didn't like the taste ;__; I think it must have been the type of cake mix I used though </3

The rainbow cake I tried was the lazy version lol. Get each separate colour, and just tip the batter into the middle of a pan. As the rest of the layers get tipped into the middle, the colour below gets pushed aside. It's not as neat looking as layered cake, but it did the job =P

I used too much icing, and it made us all feel sick xD;;

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 09-19-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
I once found this tutorial for tiny clay pots. So super cute, right? And the tutorial says it's simple. I happened to have some polymer clay on hand, so my mom and I both tried it out... Yeah, not so simple. I don't know if my clay was crap compared to what that person used or what, but there was just no way to get them as smooth as those. and cutting geometric shapes? Forget it. Mine are currently hiding in my closet out of shame...
I don't know if you have much experience with polymer clay, but if you don't, a good tip to know is that polymer clay can be sanded, which might help with the smoothness of the pots.

Also, as polymer clay is softer when it's warmer, you can put the clay in the fridge and then cut it. And after that, bake it, let it cool, and using a bit of water, sand it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM

I knew the bit about warm vs. cold, but it never occurred to me to try sanding them. I'll pull them out of the closet of shame at once and try that out! Thanks!

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 10:23 PM

I saw a video tutorial on how to make amazing chocolate chip cookies - soft in the middle, slightly crispy on the outside. This being my first go at baking on my own ever, you can guess they didn't turn out perfect. Aside from nearly setting the house on fire putting something metal (hidden foil!) in the microwave to heat something up.. the actually cookies were massive (they spread out and stuck together) and tasted very soggy and eggy. I don't think I'm great at knowing how much of what ingredient. However they were edible even if none of my family wanted to eat them apart from me. I would think practice makes perfect, but I have not attempted any baking alone since.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-19-2013, 10:45 PM

My cookies come out huge and stuck together like that every time I make them, but that's by design. Little cookies are for wimps! Give me cookies bigger than my hand or give me death!

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 PM

The cookie thing must be a gift. I can't make homemade cookies either. Not only do mine not taste good, they always melt together, lol. I really like the ones that come already in those little blocks. All you have to do is break them apart and slap 'em on a pan and in ten minutes you have some damn fine cookies. I get the natural ones from my local grocery store that are a bit expensive and don't refrigerate for as long, but they're sooooo good.