HazelFlame

Old 05-27-2012, 09:58 PM

The title says it all. How many books do you read at a time?

I tend to read between 3 to 4 books at the same time. At the moment I am currently reading Tomorrow when the war began by John Marsden for an english assignment, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins and I've already read the first two books in the seris, The Dairy of Jack the Ripper and the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S Lewis. Head count that's 4 books.
I'm a pretty fast reader but I have not really bothered to do much reading lately. I probably should though.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM

It depends on what you mean, "at a time". xD;

Right now I'm reading an Agatha Christie novel and have started reading a book on restaurants. They're both marked "in-progress" on my Kobo. (8% on the restaurant book and I think 19% on the Agatha Christie novel.)

So I'd say I'm "reading" those.

Except, I haven't logged into the restaurant book in about a week. So is that reading them "at the same time" or not? What would be the cut-off point?

Because I haven't finished Dracula yet, though I intend to read it sometime. It's probably been three years since the last time I opened it. Same with the Three Musketeers. I'm also working my way slowly through several encyclopedias. I can go months between picking them up and reading a few entries.

So, my answer is currently "two" based on my current intentions and activity level. xD I'm not counting the encyclopedias, though I could probably count one of them since I read a few entries recently. @_@

I don't read many books at a time intentionally anymore. I think I'd pretty much prefer to stay at one fiction book and one non-fiction book at a time.

Cudibrium
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM

I usually read 1 book at a time, you know, to keep myself from getting confused between multiple books. If I read 2 books at a time, I can still understand what the different plots are and what character is doing what, but I prefer just to stick to one book.

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Two or three, but I prefer not to read two books of the same genre at a time.

At the moment I'm reading Joker-One, A Dance of Dragons, and The Glorious Cause.

aya_leaf
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-07-2012, 05:20 PM

I tend to read around 4-5 at a time, mainly because growing up my parents would constantly be taking away my books, but I live near a library, so now that's just how I read. I've never gotten story lines mixed up.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 06-09-2012, 10:46 AM

I try to keep it to one at once, but that doesn't usually happen. Lately I've been very lazy about reading...:sweat:

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 PM

It depends on what you class as "at the same time" because sometimes I chop and change books a lot. Technically, I'm still reading Russell Brand's Booky Wook 2 and James Corden's May I Have Your Attention Please, even though I've not looked at either since January and I've read a number of books since then.

Usually though, I like to keep to one at a time so I don't lessen the enjoyment or action for me.

I've been so lazy about reading lately, so this summer I want to make a dent in my reading list.

kimonoki
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 06-09-2012, 06:20 PM

I can read several at a time but curently I'm only reading 2 Snuff and Flirt, I was reading Nightseer also but I just finished that one. lol :)

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM

I usually like to read one book at a time, just 'cause I like to focus on one storyline. If I was trying to tackle down multiple books at the same time, I probably wouldn't finish any of them.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 AM

Just one. If I try to read multiple books at a time, one will end up abandoned in favor of the other, and that'll make it more difficult for me to get into in the future.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 AM

I don't tend to read multiple novels, but I have done the reading multiple manga volumes at a time. Usually 2-3 at most though.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 AM

I can only read 3 to 4 as well. I begin to forget what the books are about if I add more.

Last edited by spunky; 06-15-2012 at 07:35 PM..

ailismegan

Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 AM

Well, I have problems. Even though I prefer to read one book at a time, most of the time, when I am reading a book, especially if I have read it before (which is often) I get distracted. Its not on purpose but I'll stop reading for some reason or another and then, instead of reading that same book, the next thing I read is the next thing I see so often times I have multiple books (one time I had six) books sitting on my bedside table, all with bookmarks but not one of them finished.
I think that I just love so many different books that when I think about them, I want to read them so rather than continuing the last thing I wanted to read, I move on to the next story that I think of. Its kind of depressing because now I rarely finish books that I want to read. oh well... :P

Rukia Kuchiki-
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rukia Kuchiki-

Old 06-23-2012, 07:02 AM

I'm only able to read one book at a time, even if it's just a manga. I can't be reading two entirely different books, my mind is too ADD for that!

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 AM

Only one fiction book at a time, but sometimes a fiction and a non-fiction, or multiple non-fiction stuff at once (When I'm not using the non-fiction book as a simple reference work) - Though if I can manage it, time wise, I prefer to read novels over a day or two rather than a little bit at a time, which may have something to do with that.

Magician Girl Mirani
(^._.^)ノ

Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM

At the moment Iknow for a fine fact I am reading too many books at a time. I just can't help myself though. If I'm really into something then I won't stop until I'm finished.....unless I REALLY don't want it to end in which case I put off reading a book if I know it's coming to the end of a series. (Probably one of the reasons I love fanfiction so much)

Now let's see. At the moment I am reading.....

The Guild of the Cowry Catchers - Book 4 by Abbigail Hilton (absolutely amazing, addicting, brilliant!)
Dance with Dragons by George R R Martin
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
Mockingjay by Susanne Collins (although I haven't read it in a while)
The Mortal Instruments series (I am currently on City of Glass)
Runelight by Joanne Harris (Brilliant, how can you NOT love tales about the Norse gods, especially when Loki is involved!)
Loki by Mike Vasich (not sure if I spelled his surname right or not)

There are others but those are just the few I can think of off the top of my head. I recently got a kindle and I really can't help myself. It's ridiculous and I know it but if I see something.....yeah.....

iFailed
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM

I tend to only read one book at a time. If I read any more than that, then I'll usually start confusing the plots. Once I start really getting into a book, I can never seem to put it down until I have read the entire thing.

ktbee
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-31-2012, 05:20 PM

I can also only have one book at a time consuming my thoughts, hehe. And like iFailed, when I start a book, I usually keep reading until I'm done.

reddpop
weesnaw

Old 08-01-2012, 05:47 AM

I used to read multiple books at the same time, but when I got to middle school, I was kind of forced out of that. My teachers didn't really like the habit, but I think reading multiple books at the same time actually helped me read better, or get more interested in my books. I dunno hahah.

lizrd356
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM

two or three at the same time because one i read while waiting for class or church to start (won't get confiscated by teacher) one for fun and one i read to my niece and nephews.

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 PM

One would be the series that I would be into, the other would be a reread of something I like, and I have a book in the kitchen, dining room, and washroom. So in a course of a day, I would read 3-5 books.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 AM

At most I read two books at a time. Any more than that and I never finish any of them. I can also only read a fiction and a non fiction at the same time. Two of the same genre and it's hard to keep track.

Razak
Happy little trees

Penpal

Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 AM

I usually only read one book at a time, otherwise I get confused.

Lavinia
Queen Procrastinator!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 AM

I guess it depends on the genre or book size. Like if i'm reading a really big book or one that requires alot of attention i'll read something easy with it like james herbert or nicholas sparks. (most romance/chick lit works as an easy for me, got looads of free kindle ones so i won't run out anytime soon xD)

But usually i'm reading 2 at once anyway. I like to mix my genres up so i'm not just reading one type!

At the mo i'm reading 3. Ones a romance, ones a horror, and ones a fantasy =3

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM

I have three going at the moment. Snuff, The Casual Vacancy, and The Night Circus. Kinda confusing to juggle these three. They're so different.