Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 12:40 AM

There are 2 hours, 59 minutes, and 40 seconds left in the event as I write this. I've been busy since Thursday, so I've had almost no time to enjoy this fabulous event! Sad! Heartbreak! Well, I've got three hours and I intend to live it up with y'all. So come chat with me! Help me earn event currency and keep me company. Tell me what you did for Halloween, what you dressed as, your candy haul, your favorite EI, or just how your day's been. Let's get spooky.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 AM

I will help you earn so many Taters.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 11-05-2014, 12:43 AM

Do you need help getting any of the EIs? I got a couple spares I can send you.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 AM

No charity needed, but thank you so much for the sweet offer! I can earn them myself, I just need some people to chat with.

So what did you two do for Halloween?

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 AM

I don't mind at all. :)

Took the kids to a couple trunk-or-treats and bought extra candy (mainly the stuff we know they like). Other than that, nothing.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 AM

Buying candy is so the way to go. The guy and I went out the next day and got 4 bags of candy on clearance. We had considered trick or treating (we may not be kids, but we had costumes, dangit!), but it was just too cold and we're wusses.

What is your (and anyone else who wants to jump in's) policy on giving candy to teens and adults? I say as long as they're in costume, let them join in on the fun!

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:05 AM

My policy is that if they're dressed up and polite, everyone can get candy. If you're loud and stealing candy from little kids, I'm going to deny you any chocolatey goodness.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 08:06 PM ----------

Also, last time I went trick or treating, I was 18. Went as a hippie, lol.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 01:08 AM

That's my general policy too, but I'm a pushover. I can't just tell someone "no candy for you." So if a teen comes up without a costume, I'll ask them what they're going as. If they can't come up with anything clever (like "a 2014 guy!" "my friend chelsea!" "a regular person!" "a serial killer - they look like everyone else!") and just say themselves, then I ask them if they're at least a really interesting person worthy of being dressed as. If they can't dress up, they've at least got to banter with me for a minute for their candy.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 AM

Lol, yeah. I can understand letting the no costume people slide. It's the mean ones that I don't care for. I mean, this year... My oldest went as himself and the youngest wore some purple fangs. With what's been going on with work and bills, we couldn't really afford to go out and spend over $50 for two costumes.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 01:17 AM

Exactly! There's definitely a class component to it. I considered bringing that up in my previous post. Not everyone can afford a costume and free candy shouldn't be just for the kids whose families could afford to buy candy anyway. It's definitely not as simple as "they're too lazy to buy a costume." Some people flat out can't afford it.

Take my costume for example! I could have paid about $60 for a licensed, pre-assembled Harley Quinn costume from a Halloween store. But I said "fuck that, those look cheap and dumb anyway" and decided to assemble my own. Even considering that I got as many pieces from Goodwill as I could, and the rest involved some kind of discount/sale or were otherwise dirt cheap ($2 facepaint, $2 mask, $1 black lipstick, $2 belt, etc.)... I'm pretty sure I paid more than $60 total. And I saw other Harley Quinns out - I was not the best looking one. I tried to go cheap, still paid more, and did have the nicest costume ever seen.

Ri'Staraa
Hunger makes a thief of any man.
Send a message via Yahoo to Ri'Staraa

Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 AM

I haven't had much time to deck this mule of mine out... I didn't realize there were male-only items hiding in the shop so now I'm scrambling to get stuff for him. ^.^'

I made a last-minute hang out thread, too... sadly no one's interested... even with the possibility of free artwork. >.>

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 AM

Yeah. It's like when I read about someone in some rich neighborhood who was complaining about kids from poorer neighborhoods trick or treating. She/he didn't want to give them candy as they felt the poor kids should stick with the poor neighborhoods. I was peeved! The richer neighborhoods always seem to be safer. And this person was just so... mean. :/

And yeah, I think most times you can spend around the same amount of money on stuff to make a good homemade costume than to buy one that's likely to be ruined before the night is over. We bought the boys some Transformers ones the day after (with intentions to use them the next year). I let the boys wear them once so I could get a picture and when they went to take them off, the fabric tore.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 AM

Ri'Staraa - There are male-only items?? I better get on that! I'm definitely not above glitching on an item if it's hella.

So, pardon me, but your sig doesn't say who's mule account it is that you're using. So, ah, who are you?

Liztress - Classism is just gross! It's just sickening the opinions these people have that people with less money are, themselves, worth less as people. Just deplorable.

Completely homemade can be cheaper, yeah. But it does involve skills and time. Another component of being poor is that poor people are generally working multiple jobs and more hours than wealthier people (and yet people still have the audacity to call them lazy...) plus more physically demandng work. So not everyone has the time/energy for making a costume from scratch. And not everyone knows how. But it's great if you can!

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 11-05-2014 at 01:28 AM..

Ri'Staraa

Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 AM

Wow.. rich jerks. No one around here is like that. The rich neighborhoods welcome everyone and hand out large candy bars. Some even hand out toys and treats if you have pets at home. ^.^

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
There are male-only items?? I better get on that! I'm definitely not above glitching on an item if it's hella.

So, pardon me, but your sig doesn't say who's mule account it is that you're using. So, ah, who are you?
^.^' This is Kasumi Ocada's mule account.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:27 AM

Yeah, where I grew up, the rich neighborhoods were like the best.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-05-2014, 01:32 AM

I was making dinner. Home made macncheese!

For Halloween I worked. At home I wasn't expecting any trick or treaters, our apartment is up on the third floor. We did have candy just in case anyone showed up. But no one did. More candy for me!!

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 AM

That sounds yummy.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 11-05-2014, 01:35 AM

It's great that you guys had access to friendly neighborhoods. Always good to hear about people who aren't awful!

I never trick or treated in a rich neighborhood (maybe the guy and I should have tried that. He lives near some!), but I did trick or treat in a mall once. The candy was okay, but there were lots of goodies. Non-candy goodies were always my favorite! Stickers, little toys, that sort of thing. It was like a christmas stocking and Halloween combined!

Long, gimme some a dat mac n cheese. ... And some of that leftover candy while you're at it.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 AM

We never tried going to the mall. Mainly it was wherever the parents drove us, lol.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 AM

Mall trick or treating is fun! My guy used to work at a comic shop at a mall and they would give out super-hero themed stickers and temp tattoos to the kids that stopped there.
Noooo I'm not sharing any macncheese!!! Nah! :P I made a bunch I'll mail you some in an envelope. (that's all I got)

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-05-2014, 01:46 AM

*bites Cherry*

Ri'Staraa

Old 11-05-2014, 01:48 AM

Fudge buckets. I'm getting tired... I don't think I'll be able to stay up and get all the items I need. @.@

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
*bites Cherry*
Have you had your rabies shot?

Ri'Staraa

Old 11-05-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liztress View Post
Have you had your rabies shot?
Heh... Now that's a good question.

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥

Old 11-05-2014, 01:53 AM

And likely one that I won't want to know the answer to.