Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM

Anyone here knit?

I see so many neat things you can make, and I'd love to learn to knit. So, anyone know of any good resources I can use? Books?

noirist
(-.-)zzZ

Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 PM

A looong time ago, a friends' nan showed me how to knit a basic scarf but darn (pun not intended!) if I haven't forgotten all about it. ^^;

I think with those kind of complicated hobbies it's really good if you can find a class/course or maybe just a friend or friend of a friend who wouldn't mind showing you how. Knitting seems too difficult to learn just by reading or watching instructional videos, or maybe that's just me being a dum-dum.

Sora
*^_^*

Old 01-19-2014, 04:58 AM

I only know how to knit those ruffle scarves. And square dishcloths if I really focused and did not mess up at all. But for some reason, knitting is difficult for me if it's anything but these two things. I stick to crochet for the most part.

I want to try loom knitting, as well as this thing I saw at wal*mart where you can knit with a crochet hook. Also called the "knook".

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-19-2014, 07:24 PM

I've attempted to teach myself how to knit a few times, but it usually ends up with a bunch of tangled yarn. XD

I'm learning to crochet at the moment. Found someone to teach me. Working on my first project.

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 PM

My sister had a book that showed you how to knit and she couldn't figure it out. I looked at it and picked it up pretty quickly, though it's been years since I've tried and I've never finished anything. I want to learn how again because it was very enjoyable, but I don't really have the time right now as I fear it would cut into my cosplay time (that I have to squeeze in around my last 2 semesters at school and work).

One day though, I'll learn how again...

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

I'm kind of doing a monthly skill challenge thing and knitting is what I'm doing for February.
I had some plans to do some little knitted things, but then I found this blog post about arm-knitting and decided to give it a go! This Lovely Little Day: Arm Knitting: The Easiest DIY!

I was able to do it in about an hour, but not as big. I didn't really want a big scarf so I just did less rows (rows?).
But it turned out really well; so I'm happy. :B

poet`s playground
(ο・㉨・&...
Send a message via AIM to poet`s playground Send a message via Yahoo to poet`s playground

Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Um.
Ravelry.com is a big site with a lot of people who are happy to share their craft.
Knittinghelp.com has a host of helpful videos
knittingparadise.com is a basic forum site but if you're new there are plenty of people there happy to help

And there is Youtube. That was my very first and only knitting teacher.

Kilala Mikal

Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 AM

I just started knitting myself maybe a month ago. I picked up the "I Taught Myself to Knit" kit at Walmart. It comes with a book, 2 pairs of needles, a stitch counter, stitch markers, point savers (I think that's what they're called), a cable hook, and a weird looking giant safety pin-ish type thing that's supposed to let you save your work if you need your needle set for something else (I can't think of what it's called). The book's initial instructions were a little hard to understand for me, but I went to youtube and looked up the stitch that the book was talking about and picked everything up relatively quickly. I've just finished my second pair of wrist warmers today as a matter of fact. :) Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. Or at least from what I've tried making.

Although I have to say I prefer crocheting. One hook versus two needles? I'll take the singleton, please.

Anyway, if you wanna learn to crochet or knit (I think this lady does knit tutorials), look up Planet June. She is REALLY helpful. Her tutorials are very clear and easy to understand.

Good luck with learning! If you have any questions about knitting (or crocheting if you decide to check it out) feel free to ask me, and I'll see what I can do to help. :D

ceracun

Old 02-20-2014, 11:30 PM

My sister-in-law loves posting her crochets on her Facebook wall every once in awhile. I remember a spur that inspired me to pick up on crocheting myself. At this time, I am not ready to take it up, and am awaiting times ahead where I can be given the chance to make use of that craft. Unfortunately, I'm still the "unprepared type" who is afraid of reading a handbook, and is nervous such. I cannot "get things right" with alls and is a bit indecisive too much in everythings.

Karastorm
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-26-2014, 08:44 PM

Gah knitting. It's sooooooooooooo fun and quick. I've made I think in the region of 4 Legend of Zelda hats for people. ( been payed to do it as well) I mocked up the pattern by my self and it fits up to a extra large head with out adusjting the stiches.

You will need two sets of rounds. a 3.mm and a 4mm Start off on the 3mm and cast on 89 stitches. Knit one purl one for 2.5 inches this is the base of the hat. switch to the 4mm Knit plainly till the piece messures 10 inches. Then start to cast off. To do this knit 28 then cast off the next one. Repeat three times. next two rows is knit plainly. Cast off again in the same fashion. When you get down to around 80 stiches transfer them onto a set of double ends these should be 4mm in size to keep things nice and neat. Cast off every two rows until you get a nice point. This may take 1.5 skins of wool but I've made nice long ones with around 200grams of wool. Real easy to do and theres nothing more to do then learn how to do the simple knit stitch. Oh to tie the end I found it easy to thread a yarn needle and work backwards through the left over loops ( about 4 by the time I'd got to them :3) pull tight do a double knot and cut as close to the knot base as possible or weave the end in and done one supper cute fluffy hat!.

Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-04-2015, 02:19 AM

I have started to take up knitting again after I found these cute and easy ruffle scarves that weren't very hard (yarn labels sometimes have those projects that you can do. It's really helpful when you are trying to make your friend's birthday gift ) The only hard part of it was just trying to find where to stitch the lace, but other than that, it was pretty fun and relaxing. Since then I've scaled down to normal yarn and just finished knitting two simple squares. I just bought a huge ball of yarn today and some nice knitting needles, so I hope I can at least make a nice hat or beanie out of it.

Quick question, though. Is it easier to crochet or knit a hat? Because I asked my teacher (who has also started to knit and we share our misadventures together ) which one she prefered, and she said crocheting because it was easier to circle the stitches with the hook rather than the two needles. I guess it depends how you do it though, right? Either way, I'm really excited and I hope that this can give me another thing to do other than staring at the computer all day

Last edited by Aimless.Wanderer; 01-04-2015 at 02:22 AM..

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-04-2015, 03:03 PM

I've found the crocheting to be easier for me. I still haven't learned to knit yet, but I'd still like to at some point.

Jack MacGaven
Vampire of Menewsha

Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Lionbrand is a great place to find free patterns and tutorials too!
I've knitted several scarves, legwarmers (with and without cables, the one with cables was actually my first big project...)Made a ton of swatches with different kind of stitches.
And right now I'm knitting a blanket made out of different swatches of colours and stitching. (Mainly herringbone stitch, which is super fun, but eats up a lot of yarn)

I started out with crochet, mainly because I wanted to make amigurumi dolls.

Everything I do, is self taught with help of the internet.

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 AM

I haven't gotten too far with trying to learn to knit. I'm having a lot of trouble with casting on stitches. It hasn't worked out very well trying to teach myself to knit, I think I need to find someone that can teach me.

I might find a crochet project to try for now. Maybe a nice blanket. Or I wonder if I could crochet a sweater? Hmmm. Maybe I should practice some different stitches other than the main basics first.

Narren7
: Dazed & Confused :

Old 04-03-2015, 05:34 PM

It takes me a good while and lots of mucking about to needle knit.
Looms on the other hand, I can rock things out with.
Ugliest Christmas hat ever! :D

Last edited by Narren7; 04-03-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM

I'm still having trouble trying to learn how to knit. I still haven't gotten past casting on stitches yet. I just kind of keep ending up with knotted yarn. I wish I knew someone that knows how to knit.