Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 AM

*Banner by Nephila*

Last edited by Nephila; 01-02-2018 at 08:41 PM..

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM

The Judge Panel

Nephila:
Helpful hints from Nephila:
Oh gosh, I'm not really good at giving hints. There are lot of things that I notice when looking at a great avatar. Overall I'm a "I'll know it when I see it" kind of person. I'm really into background avatars lately. I also like seeing rarely used items being incorporated into a cohesive look. I can't give you a run down of them off the top of my head.

Shadami:
Helpful hints from Shadami:
Make sure you read the rules carefully for each challenge. Don't be afraid to try new and interesting layering ideas that may not come across to everyone, it could be a risk worth taking! Asymmetrical color balance is a beautiful thing. *nudge nudge wink wink* And please work with what you have, even if its not alot, simple avatars can still be stunning, and I personally find the DAC bar distracting.

The Rules

This Festival of Winter Nights we're having a little bit of a flash to the past in the future advent calendar kind of avatar contest! Every two days we will be releasing a new challenge for you to meet. Get an avatar done in the time limit and you get a bonus point! The challenges will stay open so that you may get it in throughout the rest of the festival, you just won't get the bonus point.

Quick Run down of points:
+0 Rules were not followed
+1 Submitted entry
+2 Submitted entry in the bonus time limit
+1 Avatar particularly tickles the fancy of a Judge.

Main Rules:
  • One account per person. EXCEPT for charity mules. We will know, since all charity mules have to be varriefied.
  • Please be sure to save your entry to an outside image host like imgur (but not photobucket.) What we see is what we'll judge, so be sure that the avatar you enter is saved properly and won't change. We won't come find you after the event if your entry has a broken link/image.
  • Use the entry form. Just copy paste, fill out the information indicated by the brackets and post.
  • Be respectful and kind to your fellow contestants. Constructive criticism is okay if they ask for help. Just please don't be rude.

The Prizes

Our Favorites for each mini contest:
1st: 8,000
2nd: 5,000
3rd: 3,000
Overall Point Master:

Last edited by Nephila; 12-23-2017 at 02:11 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Pretty as a Present!

For the first challenge you will be turning yourself into a gift. Go find yourself a reference and do the best with what you have.
Bonus Point Dates: December 22nd 3pm est - December 24th 3pm Est
  • Find a reference for the gift you'll be creating.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Pretty as a Present[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Entries:[/B]
[B]Reference:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: ghostPastry
Entries:

Reference:
Quote:
Pretty as a Present
Username:star2000shadow
Entries:
Reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: Velvet
Entries:
Reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstainedwings View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: bloodstainedwings
Entries:
Reference:

a bottle of wine covered in ferrero rocher so it looks like a pineapple. the perfect gift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suona View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: Suona
Entries:
Reference:

This was a seriously hard decision to make @__@;;
I finally decided on the darker blue, because I feel that it is more recognizeable. While I prefer the style of the light blue, I think the shade of the dark blue was more common for raggedy ann.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiari View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username:Kiari
Entries:
Reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoness129 View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: dragoness129
Entries:
Reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Pretty as a Present
Username: Kent
Entry:
Reference:

Last edited by Nephila; 01-03-2018 at 05:56 AM..

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 10:53 PM

By Your Powers Combined!

For this challenge you will be teaming up with another user to make two cohesive avatars that work together, but with a catch. One of you will create a setting to celebrate the season with, the other will create the avatar that is in the setting getting ready to celebrate.
Bonus Point Dates: December 24th 3 Pm Est - December 26th 3 Pm Est
  • Find a partner
  • One of you will make a background with no avatar
  • The other will make an avatar with no background

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Our Powers Combined![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Usernames:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by star2000shadow View Post
Our Powers Combined!
Usernames:Hummy and star2000shadow
Entries:

Hummy did the Background and I did the avi in honor of Hummy helping me with this project.
Quote:
i do! very nicely done! i love the hint of brown in the hair and how it matches the fence. that was a touch of brilliance.

Our Powers Combined!
Usernames: bloodstainedwings and velvet
Entries:

Quote:
Our Powers Combined!
Usernames: Suona & ghostPastry
Entries:

What was shaping up to be a nice holiday party is ruined when a mad scientist who hates holidays, fun, and cheer slips a virus into the fruit cake that turns everyone who eats it into zombies. AAAAHHH!! MY BRAINS!!

Last edited by Shadami; 12-27-2017 at 10:51 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 PM

Watery Wardrobe!

For this challenge you will be on your own again. We want you to create an avatar using ONLY Green Blue and White. (teal is also fine) -sounds simple enough. However, whenever we've had a restricted color contests in the past there are always few people that manage to put on extra bits of colors that shouldn't be there.

Bonus Point Dates: December 26th 8 Pm Est - December 28th 8 Pm Est
  • Create an avatar using only Blue, Green and white.
  • There will be no re dos.
  • Everyone gets an extra 10 bonus points on this one.

Easy extra points right?! Yes, but only if you follow the color restriction that's been set. Every item you have on your avatar that isn't one of the colors will cost one point.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Watery Wardrobe![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Usernames:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Green, Blue & White
Entry:
Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: star2000shadow
Entries:
Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: bloodstainedwings
Entries:
Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: Velvet
Entries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcotic Dolly View Post
Watery Wardrobe!
Username: narcotic dolly
Entries:

interenvironmental technological advances allow the watery ball once known as earth, to still be home to some humanoid weirdos who dont mind breathing the oxygen in the water/ -shudder-
Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames:Kiari
Entries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facade View Post
Woo, this was fun!

Watery Wardrobe!
Username: Facade
Entry:

Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: Suona
Entries:

Don't have time to work on this anymore :x Gotta go to work. Have a great day all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
I think I got an avatar that can be entered ^^

Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: TaiyoTsuki
Entries:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naisou View Post
Watery Wardrobe!
Username: Naisou
Entries:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Watery Wardrobe!
Username: Kent
Entry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxxy View Post
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: Roxxxy
Entries:
Quote:
Watery Wardrobe!
Usernames: dragoness129
Entries:

Last edited by Shadami; 01-05-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 PM

Future Celebrations

For this challenge you will have to not only give us a beautiful avatar, but write a little story telling us what is going on. How do you think the Menewshans of the future celebrate the Festival of Winter Nights? Do they still exchange gifts? What happened to the wishing tree if everything is under water? What are the new traditions they celebrate with? Tell us your ideas!
Bonus Point Dates: December 28th 9 Pm Est - December 30th 9 Pm Est
  • Make an avatar with a story.
  • Write at least one paragraph. (4 sentences)

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Future Celebrations![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Entry:[/B]
[B]Story:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Future Celebrations!
Username: star2000shadow
Entry:
Story: In the Future we all live below the waves, have all grown fins, or other ways to swim beneath the ocean, and live in homes built beneath the sea. but this doesn't mean we don't celebrate Christmas. oh no, we do. we have Christmas tree's built from seashells that we string pearls around, we go and do tail races, have YOU ever tried to swim with your tailed tied to a siblings? its as awkward as I'm told The two legged ancestors Foot races where. we do hide and seek in the kelp gardens. and then at night, sitting before the bubbling hot fireplace, which is connected to a system connected to a volcano, we open presents that we've gifted each other. then we sing songs of long ago at neighbors, family's and strangers homes, before going home for some nice hot seaweed coco.
Quote:
Future Celebrations!
Entry:
Story: in the future, we still celebrate FOWN though the meanings and reasons seem to be a little mixed up. apparently, instead of dressing a tree in lights, we now dress up with lights. each family picks its person who they then dress up in lights and make them stand in the center of the room with presents under them until everyone is finished opening up their presents. this young girl did not like being picked.
Quote:
Future Celebrations!
Entry:

Story:
in the future, menewshans celebrate by listening to harp music and dancing around in the kelp and lotus flowers, which now replace the wishing tree. menewshans now wish by plucking petals from lotuses and letting them float away in the water with their wish. future santa is depicted wearing all gold, and comes with no presents but spreads the future value of being thrifty, as future people are now much more careful with money since the economy crashed. no one exchanges presents, but what they do exchange is the gift of telling their loved ones how much they appreciate them and a couple things they really cherish about them.
Quote:
Future Celebrations!
Entry:
Story: In the future that is a waterworld, Menewshans celebrate much as they did in the past. There is gift giving and they do decorate their homes for the holidays. However, with everything that used to be beneath the oceans, all the resources come from the watery depths. The future Menewshans feel that history is important and to continue the traditions of their ancestors is also important. So, they do their best to celebrate the winter celebration (even though it is always warm now) by decorating in whatever they can find that looks festive!
Quote:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]

Future Celebrations!
Entry:
Story:In the underwater future, FOWN is celebrated a little different. Stars are the heart of the season, not presents. Each menewshan goes out on christmas eve and searches for the perfect sea star to place upon a loved ones shell tree. Then everyone swims to the surface of the sea to watch the stars above, as the menewshans of the past did.

Last edited by Shadami; 01-04-2018 at 10:13 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 11:24 PM

Present & Future FOWN's!

For this challenge you will be not only be on your own but you'll be creating two avatars. One to represent present day Menewsha Celebrations of winter's night. The other to show what they would look like from a future with no snow.

Bonus Point Dates: December 30th - January 5th
  • Create two avatars.
  • One in present day, the other in a future with no snow.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Present & Future FOWN's[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Present Entrie:[/B]
[B]Future Entrie:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Present & Future FOWN's
Present Entrie:
Future Entrie:
Quote:
Present & Future FOWN's
Present Entrie:
Future Entrie:

the white dots the the background of the second one is not snow, its plankton
Quote:
Present & Future FOWN's
Present Entrie:
Future Entrie:

i'm just gonna keep sticking to my weird straw-headed future race i've made up. xD

Quote:
[/COLOR]Present & Future FOWN's
Present Entrie:
Future Entrie:
Quote:
Present & Future FOWN's
Present Entrie:
Future Entrie:

Last edited by Shadami; 01-03-2018 at 11:10 PM..

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 12-05-2017, 11:30 PM

Looking forward to seeing all your entries!

Hey everyone, I heard that the kids might be stopping by to request some beautiful avatars from you as well. Keep an eye out for a chance to earn some extra bonus points from them!

Last edited by Nephila; 12-13-2017 at 04:37 AM..

Cecilia
Li'l Cutie
NPC

Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM

Cessy's beach dreaming

Guys!Guys!Guys! We get to celebrate the Festival of Winter Nights in the topics! It's so warm and sunny here and has so much water! Show off your pretty bathing suits and swimming trunks so we can have fun together at the beach. Though I guess the beach is really the ocean floor here huh? Well if there was a shore like at home in the present, what would you and I do for fun at the beach! Show me pretty please?

Bonus Point Dates: December 23rd 3 Pm Est - December 24th 3 Pm Est
  • What are you going to do with Cessy at the beach? Write a little story.
  • Have an avatar that helps tell the story.
  • Must be beach themed, so swimsuit/trunks or 'sand' is required. Doesn't need to have both.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Cessy let's play![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Entries:

Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: I would so Make a Bond fire like i do with my roommate and enjoy the night air. roast hot dogs over the fire and listen to some tunes and or swim .. we would so have to bring a big bouncy ball that we could hit back and forth in the ocean because come on I've never done that and that sounds so very fun.
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: ah! there's nothing like a nice jog along the beach and a refreshing drink on a nice day like today!
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: Cessy and I would search for seashells! The beach and the shallows will have plenty to discover! Just take a bag out with us and we can fill it full of pretty shells.
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: i waited under my beach umbrella for the sun to start setting, when i called cessy over and pointed at the sunset. her eyes lite up as the fireworks go off. now this was worth the wait. i smile as she exclaims at then in awe.
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: It's always fun to enjoy the beach when you're at the ocean, but the true beauty lies beneath the water. An array of fish and plants in all colors that seem to dance with the motion of the ocean. With their heightened intellect and technology, and fascination of fish, I knew Boq Boq and Xeox were just the...er...people? to go to for a fun way to enjoy the water. They were quite confused at first by my request for a mermaid potion, what with the idea of being half fish, and after a few diagrams I thoroughly talked them out of a fish head and human legs.

It didn't take them long to cook something up, but I should have known that it might have a few kinks. After awhile of swimming and having fun, it seems to be wearing off, and my gills were the first to go! Good thing we stayed in the shallows to enjoy the reef! Unfortunately, the transformation may have torn my swim bottoms, and my tail is starting to tingle! Uhm...Guys? Could someone please retrieve my towel for me? Quick!

Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: Since there isn't any snow to sled in, I thought Cessy and I could go tubing down the sand dunes.
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Username: narcotic dolly
Entry:

Story: you wanna see the sea? well dont be silly, human. The best way to see the sea is to get a little wet. Or a lot.
Click your heels together three times, and say "peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat" and WALLAH! Bye bye pathetic human nubbins on sticks and hellloooo endless ocean and sexy scales baby!
Let's explore atlantis, home of the mermicorn, the last of the underwater unicorns. I have the GPS to the cove of Captitan Bidet's treasure........dibs on anything shiny!
And dont be afraid, we will not be alone. The spirit of Ariels friends will be there to protect and watch over us all the way. They apologise for being dead though. No one saw the BP disaster coming.....right?
At the end of the day, we can smoke a little seaweed and watch clamflicks. The latest mer-bachelor is on and I love me some mer-candy.
Quote:
Cessy let's play!
Entry:
Story: Time to have some fun with dancing! The music is so lively, it is quite colorful! You can almost see it floating through the air!

Last edited by Nephila; 01-04-2018 at 07:56 AM..

Xeox
NPC
NPC

Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 AM

Xeox's distant future

Well, us being in the tropics is partly true Cecilia. We're also in the future. Wouldn't you know it? Our ship malfunctioned and now we're stuck into the distant future! Menewsha is under water!? And we need to fix this ship fast!

What would humans in a distant future even look like?

Bonus Point Dates:December 26th 11 PM Est - December 27th 11 PM Est
  • Create an avatar representing a futuristic human.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Xeox's distant future![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Entries:

Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:

ahhh, this one was so much fun!
Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:

reference:
in the future, humans will be made of candy! this is princess bubblegum of the candy kingdom from adventure time, which takes place in the future.
Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:

Being that we are at the ocean, it only makes sense that we come into contact with humans that live nearby. These humans have adapted to their landscape and to better allow themselves access to land and water. They utilize both to survive.
Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:
Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Username:Velvet
Entry:

At first, there was just water and humans were forced to evolve aquatically, but overtime volcanic eruptions allowed small island like formations to sprout, but humans were still primarily aquatic and learned to survive in the sea and on land. All of their resources still came from the waters, including their fishskin clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcotic Dolly View Post
Im having trouble getting it to load too. I dont know why cos its just imgur

---------- Post added 12-28-2017 at 10:00 AM ----------

Xeox's distant future!
Username:narcotic dolly
Entry:

They thought the earth would claim the people back or the people would be shaken off like a bad case of fleas. well, the war is still on going. People are flighting for what little resources the earth has left. its just a matter of time before it all goes BOOM
Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:

Quote:
Xeox's distant future!
Entry:

Last edited by Shadami; 01-04-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Boq Boq
NPC
NPC

Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Boq Boq's belly

Oh man. *belly rumbles* All this swimming has worked up a HUGE apatite. I hear earth has a lot of yummy food around this time of year. I would like to partake. Show me the way to the nourishment!

Bonus Point Dates:December 29th - December 30th
  • Turn your avatar into a yummy food item!
  • Include a photo of your food.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Boq Boq's belly![/SIZE][/COLOR]
[B]Photo:[/B]

Entries:

Quote:
Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:
Quote:

Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:

Photo:

Quote:
lol. its funny when that happens eh?

Entry Form:
Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:

everybody loves parfait!
Quote:
Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:
Quote:
Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:
Quote:

Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:

Quote:
Boq Boq's belly!
Entry:
Photo:

Last edited by Shadami; 01-04-2018 at 10:09 PM..

Yumeh
(≚ᄌ≚)
NPC

Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Yumeh's approval

*Yumeh sniffs the salty air and walks around you as if admiring your outfit*

Mew!

*he seems to approve and saunters on his way*

Bonus Point Dates: January 2nd - January 3rd
  • Create an avatar Yumeh would approve of.
  • Write why you think he'd like it.

Entry Form:
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="5"]Yumeh's approval![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Entries:

Quote:
Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story: Christmas time decorations to play with, partitions to rip to shreds..and a lovely scene. what kitty wouldn't love it?
Quote:
Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story:Yumeh won't be able to pass up this avi, she has caught a large offering of fish for the great cat of menewsha.
Quote:
Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story: i think Yumeh would approve of my outfit because everyone knows cats are the snappiest dressers, and my cat came with treats to share! a lollipop shaped like Yumeh himself and a feesh! plus, he brought some tantalizing silver strings, and a curtain with Yumeh's face on it. they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all...
Quote:
Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story: Afrodonkey and yumeh go way back. Afrodonkey is trying to show off his yumeh fan girl side to impress the ladies. [wink]
Quote:
Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story: What more could Yumeh ask for? A cozy fire, a nice rug, a shelf to snuggle up on and knock things off of.. There's even some yarn to attack and a plant to nom on. Not to mention the wall mounted kitty beds and dangly things. (Totally not a fire hazard, btw!)

Quote:
[/COLOR]Yumeh's approval!
Entry:
Story: Yumeh should be very pleased with both fish and milk! It is presented for him in the softest room aboard the ship by the crazy cat lady. She shows her love for everyone'e favorite cat by her wardrobe.

Last edited by Shadami; 01-04-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 12:26 AM

Man I want to join but I'm running it. Ooo I know. I'll play along with you guys. :D

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 12-23-2017, 12:37 AM

*claps hands together* Time to make me some avatars!

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-23-2017, 12:40 AM

Pretty as a Present
Entries:

Reference:

Xo~GREMLIN~oX
~GIZZIE,S CHARITY CASE AVI~

Old 12-23-2017, 01:41 AM

Are charities allowed or no ....I did read the rules BUT I'm confused it says NO but then in the ( ) part it says Are we allowing so I'm confused Yes or No :/

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 AM

Pretty as a Present
Entries:
Reference:

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 02:02 AM

aw, cute

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 02:05 AM

people are looking so good already. Great job guys!

Suona
¿ʇəʎ ʇɹ...

Old 12-23-2017, 02:07 AM

I totally was thinking that it was to look like a wrapped present. Didn't notice it was a gift until I reread it. Goodness. Where to start.

I haven't changed my avi because I heard people were having problems with getting some items to work.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 02:08 AM

things seem to be working Su

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xo~GREMLIN~oX View Post
Are charities allowed or no ....I did read the rules BUT I'm confused it says NO but then in the ( ) part it says Are we allowing so I'm confused Yes or No :/
That bit is confusing. I'll clear up the wording lots. :)

I think we'll allow it. I don't really see a reason why we wouldn't allow Charity mules to join. :) The more the merrier.

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 12-23-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

aw, cute
Teddy Bears is Star's Love..now if we just had long bunny ears..oh wait we do.. hmmmmmmmm naw i'll leave a christmas bunny for later..

ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 12-23-2017, 02:15 AM

Su- all my multi-equip items are working... i can't quite remember but i think i was reading that it's a firefox issue?

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 12-23-2017, 02:21 AM

She's on Chrome though. and I have the same issue from time to time, my fix is to clear the cache, its a pain on every other site having to log back in but for me it works.