Lixlaria
Devil Incarnite
Send a message via AIM to Lixlaria Send a message via MSN to Lixlaria Send a message via Yahoo to Lixlaria

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM

While I think I will always perfer books being books, I love my Sony Reader. It reads just like a book, no glare, it looks like real pages in a book, it can play music and then depending on the version you get you can write notes, make notes in books...I just find it amazing. They have a huge library of books to choose from which is what I really need, I hate not being able to get a book I like. I love that you can put all of your books on SD cards or Pro Duo(Which ever you prefer) But the internal memory holds over 1000 books, depending on the size. Sony has three different sizes(last time I check-around christmas) but they are all slim and compact, which is a feature that I like because it makes them great for traveling. Plus since I own well over 2,000 books in hard copies right now, it really helps with storage space.

The problem I have with the Kindle is that if you purchase a book and then Amazon decides that they aren't selling the book anymore Amazon will remove it from your reader the next time it is connected to your computer, I wouldn't be happy about that and seeing as they don't give refunds.....other than that I have a hard time with glares on the screens, in the end I just didn't like it.

I have seen the nook and must admit that it is pretty good. The screen had a bit of glare, but it wasn't horrible but other than that I didn't have anything negative to say about it. I would have to look at it again and a bit closer to make a real decision on it.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about getting a e-reader to really look at the options because new ones are coming out all the time. But I still think that hard copies are the best and I truely hope that they are never made obsolete.

Alchemist of Anarchy
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Yeah on the kindle you can listen MP3 as well and now they're working on being able to use the internet. Which is rather cool, plus if you get books that have text to speech enabled it will read the book to you.

LadyTruth
LadyTruth

Old 02-11-2010, 10:51 PM

huh i dont really know. i mean i would love to get my hands on one of those things. it would be fantastic, like having a virtual librarty filled with only books you like, which to me is like something ive been dreaming about since 2nd grade. however.........there is just something about holding a book in your hands. i mean i just like having them. i cant explain it, only book lovers would really get it, its not just the love of reading, its the love of books. real book. paper and ink, telling you a story. ive grown to love the shape of books and the sight of them. having a kindle would make me sad sometimes too.

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM

While I don't own one, I know that I wouldn't like it. I'm one of those people who like actually having a physical book in their hands, and I really don't mind them taking up space. In fact, I rather like that they do- I love to look at them. :). To me, an electronic book could NEVER be the same- they can never have that 'new book' smell, you can't just glance over to the next page quickly if need be, and worst of all, if your Kindle's battery ever dies, the books contained in it go with it. And hundreds of dollars go down the drain. >_<;. Aside from that, I have a really hard time reading anything on the computer- it takes me much longer to read words on a screen than in a book for whatever the reason. And.. most importantly, there's no way to obtain used books on it. Sure, there are some free or cheap books, but they're older. I've seen thrift stores that have nearly just released books for sale- you can't get that on the Kindle (or anything of the like). There's no cheaper alternative- and aside from that, the Kindle would eventually lead to libraries becoming extinct. >_<;. If music becomes download only, and books become download only, then what would that leave libraries with? Movies only. And then it would be a movie rental store, not a library. :(.
And.. it seems that I'm in the minority here, after reading other replies. .__.; But I just can't see shelling out $300+ for something that can lose hundreds of books if something happens to it, and that doesn't have offer half of what I read. And I really do fear for the future of libraries with all of these devices. >_<;.
EDIT: And another person brought up another good point- they'd eventually run out of room. Which means you lose however much money you spent on the first book by having to delete it. >_<;.

Last edited by Javert; 02-12-2010 at 07:32 AM..

EmilyNova
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM

I love actually holding the book and flipping through the pages. Also, honestly, I spend way to much time on technology already. It's good to break away from that and just sit down a read a book, though sometimes I opt for an audiobook if I have to crochet something.
Together me and my dad probably have close to 1000 books and I want to make a huge library for myself one day. ^_^ My goal is to one day buy a house, gut a whole floor (maybe the second and have my bedroom on the third) and have a library that you have to navigate through to get to the next floor.

AgnesGloom
*^_^*

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM

Nintendo, tv, computer, iPod, cell...I stare at enough screens already. And I love owning and reading the actual books. But the thing does sound pretty handy. I guess I'm still on the fence with Kindle for now.

@ EmilyNova; That's such a neat idea for a house ^_^ I'd love to have a whole floor devoted to books.

Alchemist of Anarchy
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Alchemist of Anarchy

Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 PM

I haven't had the time to read anything on my kindle because I've been busy with classes, but the next book I'm planning on reading is Through the Looking Glass and I got it free!