Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melody xyelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslayer
Quote:
Alright so up until The Pillars of Creation I loved the books. I cant read the pillars of creation though. I cant stand Oba and his psychopathic wanting to kill everyone. im on page 135 and have been there for... probably a few months. XP
I absolutly loved Faith of the Fallen and Wizards first rule though. I have all of the books out so far. My husband is totally into them and has been reading them since we were in high school... but im like... meh... at least at this point.
Im trying to get through the book so i can move on to the better ones...

I think my main problem is that is has nothing to do with Richard and Kahlan aside from them being considered evil... and theyre the characters ive gotten attached to. so reading about Jennsen, Sebastian, and Oba arent helping the storyline for me... blah. ill comment more when i finish this book, im sure they have a purpose im just not there yet XD
I completely agree with you. Pillars was hands down the worst book of the series for me. Just get through it as quickly as possible, the only significant part is the ending like 4 chapters. Jennsen confused me so much during that book, I couldn't understand her character at all until the ending. She gets a lot better in the next book though I think.
that requires finding the book again. XD i think my daughter put it under my bed somewhere. >.> ill find it eventually. im going on a long flight next weekend so i figure ill bring it on the plane with me. get through a bunch of the chapters then and finally get the book out of the way. im havin trouble keeping hte characters straight more often then not because some of them have similar names like the sister that has magic an the one that can seee 'holes' or something. i dunno. but yeah. ill get through it because i think the next book is actually about richard and the group wth him. i <3 them... not the random new characters. XP
Hehe good luck finding it then :) I can totally understand the character confusion thing, if I didn't have a friend that I could talk to about it while I was reading I would have been really confused.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 05-04-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Hehe good luck finding it then :) I can totally understand the character confusion thing, if I didn't have a friend that I could talk to about it while I was reading I would have been really confused.
most of my friends reading hte series are behind me. though, theyve read most of them before i think they really only got up to like the 4th,. my hubby has read up to chainfire me thinks but hes off in north carolina right now doing schooling and so talking to him about a book he read back in high school is pointless XD he just keeps telling me to get though it because the laster ones are amazing. ill get there eventually. but... for now im taking my time. been considering just reading debt of bones, since its a prequil it wont spoil anything for me and it deals with characters i love. <33

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
most of my friends reading hte series are behind me. though, theyve read most of them before i think they really only got up to like the 4th,. my hubby has read up to chainfire me thinks but hes off in north carolina right now doing schooling and so talking to him about a book he read back in high school is pointless XD he just keeps telling me to get though it because the laster ones are amazing. ill get there eventually. but... for now im taking my time. been considering just reading debt of bones, since its a prequil it wont spoil anything for me and it deals with characters i love. <33
Ooh yeah, I heard Debt of Bones was really good too. I just finished Chainfire, and I don't have the next book in the series yet so I am freaked out so bad right now x.x Chainfire was an amazing book, I think its going onto my list of favorites. My friend told me that if they didn't have Debt of Bones that I should just get the first book from the Wheel of Time series :)

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ooh yeah, I heard Debt of Bones was really good too. I just finished Chainfire, and I don't have the next book in the series yet so I am freaked out so bad right now x.x Chainfire was an amazing book, I think its going onto my list of favorites. My friend told me that if they didn't have Debt of Bones that I should just get the first book from the Wheel of Time series :)
never heard of the wheel of time series. whats it about?
my hubby said chainfire was amazing too. and i hear thats its a triliogy. will the sword of truth series be over when he finishes off chain fire? do we know?

GodModule
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to GodModule

Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Havent read it yet...i do have some of his books im gonna first try to get the series complete xP I always go to second-hand bookstores to buy them for cheaper =P so might take a while~ u.u yay for second hand stores though~

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 05-06-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodModule
Havent read it yet...i do have some of his books im gonna first try to get the series complete xP I always go to second-hand bookstores to buy them for cheaper =P so might take a while~ u.u yay for second hand stores though~
XD thats the way to go! I get like $10 dollar books for like $2 or less. its awesome. I dont really care if someone else read the book adn it doesnt look new, im after the words after all. (:

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
never heard of the wheel of time series. whats it about?
my hubby said chainfire was amazing too. and i hear thats its a triliogy. will the sword of truth series be over when he finishes off chain fire? do we know?
I'm not sure what the plot is exactly, just that its a big fantasy series. The other day when I went to the bookstore they didn't have the next book in the trilogy, Phantom. I was so sad :( I picked up Debt of Bones instead, but I'm only like 20 pages in. I won't get to reading it til Thursday, since I have finals this week then I'm heading home. My guess would be that yeah, the series would end after chainfire, at least that's what it seems to be building toward for me.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodModule
XD thats the way to go! I get like $10 dollar books for like $2 or less. its awesome. I dont really care if someone else read the book adn it doesnt look new, im after the words after all. (:
Hehe yeah definitely. I love second hand bookstores, I wish there were more around where I go to school. Instead I just gotta get my fill while I'm home for vacations :)

Tech
*^_^*
Banned
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Tech

Old 05-13-2007, 04:05 AM

I've read all of the books that have come out in the Sword of Truth series, but my favorite of them all was the first one, The Wizard's First Rule. I'm not entirely sure why. To me, the book seemed to flow more than the others. And had a wider range of things going on. I thought Darken Raul was such a good villian. I really enjoyed him.

Richard is kind of a weak character to me. Not poorly written, I just don't care for him. Zedd is great though. I love his expressions and the way he always seems kind of laid back about everything. Makes me even more concerned when he actually shows emotion.

Rachel was really great too. She seems very smart for a kid, and I thought added a nice level to the story.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-13-2007, 05:38 AM

Well, I'm disappointed. I didn't have much reading time this past month and went past my renewing limit at the library before getting to read Pillars. So I had to return it and am going to try checking it out again when I'm able to read more. So in the meantime, I'm just picking up books around my house that I've not read yet.

Shadowfflur
Wait...What?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 PM

My husband had the series and convinced me to read them. They were enjoyable up until Chainfire. That one was a real struggle for me to read. I just couldn't get into it. We have Phantom too, but neither of us has picked it up because we've both lost interest in it. :(

wispytearz
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to wispytearz Send a message via MSN to wispytearz Send a message via Yahoo to wispytearz

Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 AM

I've met Terry Goodkind, back when I was still reading the series, and he told me about how he started writing and how much time and effort he put into the first couple books. He spent many, many years developing the story of the first couple and writing them out before he was ever even considered by a publisher and since becoming a "best seller" and so popular, he's been putting out a book about every year. He has been able to put the time and energy into the newer ones which is why they are so lacking and so much of the same crap (seriously, if I had to read one more of Richard's damned monologues I was going to go nuts!)
Finding out from the author himself that he didn't even consider the later books to be as good, had me putting aside the series. Now don't get me wrong, Wizard's First Rule is still one of the best books I've ever read, it's just the latter half of the series I can do without.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
I've read all of the books that have come out in the Sword of Truth series, but my favorite of them all was the first one, The Wizard's First Rule. I'm not entirely sure why. To me, the book seemed to flow more than the others. And had a wider range of things going on. I thought Darken Raul was such a good villian. I really enjoyed him.

Richard is kind of a weak character to me. Not poorly written, I just don't care for him. Zedd is great though. I love his expressions and the way he always seems kind of laid back about everything. Makes me even more concerned when he actually shows emotion.

Rachel was really great too. She seems very smart for a kid, and I thought added a nice level to the story.
I agree about Darken Rahl. Although, the whole part where he was using the little boys was really disturbing, I wouldn't want him to come back or anything.

I really like Richard's character. He's one of the few main characters from the books I've read that has really stuck with me. One of the main reasons I had trouble getting through Pillars was because I really missed his character in the story. At the very end when he appeared I was so excited, cause it was somewhat of a surprise, at least for me. Zedd is really awesome too, my favorite parts of the series have always been when either Zedd and Richard were together, or Richard and Nathan. The differences between all their characters is really fun to watch.

Rachel was such a quirky little girl, I was dying with suspense to see what would happen to her in Wizard's First Rule xP I was kind of disappointed to only see her for a teensy bit in Chainfire... but hopefully she'll be in Phantom a bit more once I can find it at a bookstore.

Ellendar
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-16-2007, 12:55 PM

I do truly enjoy the time I've spent with this series. However Terry really needs to let Richard have a rest, and be happy with Kalahan. The thing that always bothered me is between the books righard usually gets about one week of happieness and recouperation before the next save the world quest is started. He's really worn out Terry, let the poor man have his happily ever after... god and your readers both know he deserves it, please don't ruin one of our favorite charechters. [/endrant]

bslayer
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Hehe that is so true. The part where they were up in the mountains while Kahlan was recuperating was really well done in my opinion, the description of all the mountains and the fish was really nice to read instead of constantly reading about battles and stuff.

aphrodite remix
I am not an adventurer by choice...
Send a message via MSN to aphrodite remix

Old 06-01-2007, 05:08 PM

I loved that series, I have read and re-read it many many times. The first time I've ever read it was about 5 years ago now, and my dad gave it to me saying it would be something that i'd like.

Since then I've re-read the first 4 books around 10 times, have certain chapters memorized and I've even done fanart.

It's just such a great storyline. I was a little dissapointed with some of the last few books, as it seemed that it was getting a little off track. But all in all very very great. I'm surprised actually that I got into this series considering how I couldn't even get through the first book in the Wheel of Time Series.

LadyKikyo
I am known on some other sites a...

Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 PM

I love these books.
I only have the first 2 now tho :(
I happened on them randomly and got hooked almost within the first 3 chapters lol
Hopefully I can find copies of the rest again soon, but as I spend too much money as it is I try to find em used now lol

Enniel
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wispytearz
I've met Terry Goodkind, back when I was still reading the series, and he told me about how he started writing and how much time and effort he put into the first couple books. He spent many, many years developing the story of the first couple and writing them out before he was ever even considered by a publisher and since becoming a "best seller" and so popular, he's been putting out a book about every year. He has been able to put the time and energy into the newer ones which is why they are so lacking and so much of the same crap (seriously, if I had to read one more of Richard's damned monologues I was going to go nuts!)
Finding out from the author himself that he didn't even consider the later books to be as good, had me putting aside the series. Now don't get me wrong, Wizard's First Rule is still one of the best books I've ever read, it's just the latter half of the series I can do without.
wow! that would be cool :3 it would be nice to meet an author i love...
agreed, though...some of the later books got reallllllly boring and dragged out...they were good, but they just werent the same level of greatness as the first few

Nessy

Old 09-01-2007, 05:54 AM

I'm really on the general feeling of everyone else. My favorite three were Stone of Tears, Song of Fire, and Faith of the Fallen. At least, I think it was Song of the Fire, with the plague?

That one was AMAZING to me. Actually, the entire series up until Pillars of Creation held me in absolute thrall. I couldn't put them down, I was obsessively buying them, I HAD TO HAVE THEM.

And then I started Pillars, and barely made it fifty pages in. You get so wrapped up in what is going on with your major characters, that to suddenly change direction is incredibly hard. At least, it was for me.

And I agree, Richard was becoming a horrible Gary Stu towards the end. His personality only works for so long before it becomes cliche and annoying. For the most part I found him idealistic and slightly boring, but it worked for the series.

I'm a Mord Sith gal, and always will be.

8D

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 09-09-2007, 01:04 AM

i just finished chainfire a couple of weeks back wait no it was the one after chainfire... phantoms? anyway i totally loved it. I had A LOT of trouble with pillars of creation because of my like for the main characters changing directions was just too much. i guess it worked for the story at that point and how it moves on after it but Oba was too much i just wanted someone to slit his throat and be done with him. but whatever.
I worry for how phantoms ends though. Im incredibly happy that Richard got to see Kahlan and that Jagang hasnt touched her yet, but i worry that Richard will lose his cool while playing ja'la because shes there. not only that... i wonder about whether or not nicci made the right move by putting the boxes of orden to play for Richard. specially when she believes that he memorized a false copy of the book. (i forget the name of the book) anyway i would love to have someone to discuss this with. other than my husband because we can bicker about it for ages. ;p
i cant wait for the next one!

ln(e)
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM

I'm a firm believer in the wizard rules and use them to live my life. As such I end up being able to manipulate others with out really trying.I also have the problem of getting rather annoyed at the idiots who break the rules.

Favorite book: Faith of the Fallen
Lease favorite: Naked Empire

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM

I didnt so much mind naked empire my least favorite was te Pillars of Creation.
I went to te website to find out when the last book is coming out. its supossed to be released in november of this year i believe. Im so exited! I cant wait to find out how the story ends. neither can my husband hes been reading the books for years. I just started them...about a year ago... lol. <3
So the last and final book in te Sword of truth series is titled Confessor the art work on te cover is much like that on Phantom and Chainfire only a bit more detailed and the girl has more determination. Im so excited <33

Secret
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to Secret

Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM

• I only read up to the fourth book in the series, because I only recently started reading them, but I like them a lot so far. The first one, Wizard's First Rule is still by far my favorite of the four I have read. The fourth book was my least favorite, because it seemed to drag on forever towards the last 300 pages. It felt more like a repetition on what was going on in the other books. The whole, life and death til the last second. But most books are like that.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 09-29-2007, 09:50 PM

Out of curiosity, what is everyone else expecting the ending of Confessor to be like?

I'm really hoping that Goodkind lets Richard and Kahlan have their happily ever after, But I have a feeling that they are both going to end up dying because of how strongly they are tied to magic. And I really dont see a way for them to stop magic from disappearing. </3 I'm looking forward to the end of the series though, since he has put Richard through more than enough.

amethyst_66au

Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM

I don't want to think about what is going to be in the last book because I prefer to be surprised... not to mention thgat I have absolutely no idea how it could possibly end.

I absolutely love these books and just hope that the last book is just as good.