Doctor-Cumstains
Pansexual Egg

Old 03-24-2014, 04:27 PM

I bought it yesterday and I have yet to read it, is it any good?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM

Is this the book of the TV show?

-looks at your tags-

Stephen King huh? I have a big amount of his books. Was the TV show based on his book then? Having seem a few episodes of it, I can definitely imagine it could have been.

Of course I could find all this out just by asking Google, but that would kind of defeat the object of me responding here at all, wouldn't it?

Doctor-Cumstains
Pansexual Egg

Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM

I don't know if it's based on the T.V. show, frankly I didn't know that was a t.v. show, but I can assume it might've been.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Ok, now I shall ask Google.

---------- Post added 03-24-2014 at 05:39 PM ----------

Yes, the show is based on the book. I'd very much like to read this. I'd imagine the TV series doesn't stick to the book that accurately as they rarely do, but who knows?

Successful shows have been made from his books in the past. I really enjoyed the Dead Zone series, and I can still read the book without it being spoilt by mental images from the show. Hopefully I'd be able to do the same with Under the dome.

Suzanne Sky
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 PM

I think most people who have read the book have enjoyed it. But I am an exception. I like most of Stephen King's books - ESPECIALLY 11/22/1963 and also The Talisman co-written with Peter Straub. Actually, those are two of my favorite books. But I didn't like the book, Under the Dome at all. I stuck it out to page 650 and then ditched it when I realized I didn't care what happened to ANY of the characters in the book at all. And it seemed like the story just went from one miserable, unbelievable disaster to another. But that's just my take on it. Don't let that discourage you from reading it. As I said, I think most people really liked it.

As for the television series, I watched maybe the first one, but that was all. It just didn't interest me either.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 AM

Hmm, that's interesting. I tend to especially like his books that are set in Maine because there's always so much human interest in them because it's his neck of the woods. I like that there's lots of everyday life in amongst the OMG bits of his stories, but this one is a bit lacking in that, I take it. I shall bear that in mind and only pick this book up if I see it in a secondhand store somewhere.

I love The Talisman. A friend leant me Black House years ago, and I still have it. That's enjoyable too.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 AM

The show is a bit milder than the book. Unlike The Shining or 11/22/63, I don't think I'll reread it. However, I'm curious about your thought on it once you've read it.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-25-2014, 12:40 AM

Now The Shining is one I enjoy reading but don't enjoy watching at all. I think because they over-dramatise for cinema, don't they. They aim for shock value and you lose a great deal of story because of that.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM

The Shining is a book I've read more than a few times. Have any of you read Doctor Sleep, the sequel? It was okay. I was probably more excited to read the sequel than I was excited about the book - not terrible, but there were a few points where it seemed predictable. Tied up some loose ends from The Shining.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 AM

I've not heard of this one! I'm pretty clueless about the books that are in circulation now, it has to be said. Tying up loose ends is good, but not if that's pretty much the only thing a story is good for.

Aganab
Butt

Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM

Of Stephen King's books, I've read Carrie, which I really liked, and I bought The Shining ages ago, though I still haven't read it. I was considering buying Under the Dome a few times, but I promised myself to first finish all the books I've bought and haven't finished/started, so any more books will have to wait.

A friend of mine is a huge fan of Stephen King's books. She really likes the gore and being scared though, things that I absolutely despise.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 PM

I have read that book, and I loved it.
Dude, plot twist at the end.
It was remarkable.

I really hated one character, and he was written to be hated.
He's like the antagonist of all antagonists.

I shall not spoil it for you.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM

My mum actually said she thought there was something wrong with me because I liked Stephen King books I think she assumed they were wall to wall gore, which of course they are not.

Her favourite film ever is Shawshank Redemption, so I had a lovely moment telling her who wrote that. xDD Predictably she refused to believe me...

Then she saw The Green Mile on TV and was telling me how much she'd liked that, of course I was all, "hey mum, guess what!". I bought a copy of The Green Mile and gave it to her, fully expecting her to never read it. But she did, and admitted that the book was better than the film, and that it made her cry.

I quit while I was ahead at that point, I'd not waste my time trying to get her to read any of his other books, but I class getting her to shed a small amount of her horrible preconceptions to be a victory.

Aganab
Butt

Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM

That reminds me of how my mum is against me watching the Marvel movies because she thinks they're childish